PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian Long Haul Roster

CALLE13
21st Sep 2017, 09:37
Few questions about NLH:

What kind of roster can a FO expect?

Is there a "better schedule" depending on the base? (LGW vs BCN)

How hard is to change bases?

How hard is to upgrade in the 737? (move to Short Haul)

And to move to RCA and CA in the 787?

Is true that they give you days off out of your operating base?

Thanks in advance!

VinRouge
21st Sep 2017, 21:29
Also interested in this. Formal standby days per month, average layovers down route, changes to contract after the initial 3 years.

Interested in the long haul gig.

tom_ace
17th Jan 2018, 11:21
Seems to be a well kept secret. Which is somewhat alarming.

VinRouge
17th Jan 2018, 11:55
I spoke to a chap in the company a while back, pretty honest. Told me expect to deadhead a lot as part of the job.

Not sure that would be too fun mindful of the lack of a business class on their operation. Especially if deadhead comes at the end of an extended duty.

Not part of the operation so happy to keep an open mind, as the above was purely "chat" at an event. However, I suspect many wont apply unless we know what is being signed up to.

Bus Driver Man
18th Jan 2018, 15:34
There's no secret. Just ask Rishworth. They can provide some example rosters.

macdo
18th Jan 2018, 16:21
de fumo in flammam

You're spot on there. Positioning in Economy was one of the listed grievances that caused TCook to go on strike last year. You need a good working practice agreement to deal with all these issues or you rapidly have no life at all.

Stjuk
2nd Feb 2018, 07:53
Can anyone share a typical roster?

Does it depend on base?

Direct Bondi
2nd Feb 2018, 11:03
To answer any questions and provide information on the long haul roster may reflect negatively on the Dreamyliner lifestyle. Norwegian’s lynch mob/red nose numpties would never allow that (see what follows this post).

Roster information has been requested and flatly ignored many times previously. This suggests the roster is exceptionally bad. Moreover, it suggests little is being done or can be done to improve it.

Despite the purported welcome extended to unions, Norwegian’s 787 pilot fraternity have no union representation directly with the airline. This precludes any collective agreement with Norwegian and its pilots (including “guaranteed” seniority) with which the airline must legally comply.

The irony is that Norwegian’s 787 pilots fly with US based cabin crews who are members of the AFL-CIO union, with direct and powerful representation to the airline. Norwegian’s “welcome” to that particular outcome was reported in the media:

“Norwegian tried to stop cabin crew connection to powerful trade unions” – Link:

https://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/uhyrlig-og-ulovlig-innblanding-fra-norwegian-i-de-ansattes-interne-avstemming/67506473

Norwegian and the service providers from which they temporarily rent 787 pilots, all proclaim to “answer any questions you may have”. Clearly, they do not.

highfive
3rd Feb 2018, 12:18
There's no secret. Just ask Rishworth. They can provide some example rosters.

I did the above , received no reply, despite using my Rishworth login account .

Direct Bondi provide factual info . His input is useful. Dont shoot the messenger.

Most pilots in NLH consider their options and then sign up anyway . Even if they have to deposit €40000 of their own cash into an unknown bank account .

Its a choice you make to escape the humdrum funkery of working overseas or being a bored & retired , former legacy long haul jockey .

lansen
3rd Feb 2018, 13:18
Bondi what is your problem? You are assuming stuff and at the same time demand to have your voice heard and respected. How cute. Why would anybody be so stupid to publicly share his or her roster on a forum like this? Ever heard of anonymity?

10 days guaranteed off (4 or 5 days in a row possible. Also back to back possible), 3-4 flights each month with each flight having usually a minimum one or max three day layover, expect 750h/year.
Just do the math.

It's possible to bid for the 737 after your bonding has finished after three years. Being three years in the company, it will not be hard to switch fleets. There has also been cases of people switching fleets within the bonding, but it's not common practice.

The upgrade is available when you have the required hours for it.

Bus Driver Man
3rd Feb 2018, 14:22

See attachments for the example rosters.
Maybe they stopped providing example rosters, because this prevented a lot of people from applying? It might be ok if you're single and if you don't mind being away from home, but spending 10-14 days in a row away from your family doesn't seem appealing.

Stjuk
3rd Feb 2018, 14:57
Thanks for that. You’re right, if you wanna have a family life it doesn’t look ideal.

Icelanta
4th Feb 2018, 07:07
Very GOOD rosters indeed if you live close to base.
Typical LH. and with sufficient rest between flights.

CaptainProp
4th Feb 2018, 07:50
One roster is from AUG 2017, the others from 2016 and probably not representative of what's happening now or? The one from 2017 doesn't look that bad actually and it's still a 84 hours roster.

highfive
4th Feb 2018, 10:54
£7600/ month for skippers ( full tax for uk resident) would be a pay cut for 90% of guys who meet the lhs requirments. Even THY pay more haha.

21 - 22 days away as I understood it, has been normal ops. Was 3 years ago when I went through the process. The increase of bases and aircraft may have a positive change on time away.

Most retirees, single and or divorced pilots are married to flying and time away is generally a bonus .

Beer belly alert !

lansen
4th Feb 2018, 12:21

Direct Bondi provide factual info . His input is useful. Dont shoot the messenger.

Most pilots in NLH consider their options and then sign up anyway . Even if they have to deposit €40000 of their own cash into an unknown bank account .

Its a choice you make to escape the humdrum funkery of working overseas or being a bored & retired , former legacy long haul jockey .

£7600/ month for skippers ( full tax for uk resident) would be a pay cut for 90% of guys who meet the lhs requirments. Even THY pay more haha.

21 - 22 days away as I understood it, has been normal ops. Was 3 years ago when I went through the process. The increase of bases and aircraft may have a positive change on time away.

Most retirees, single and or divorced pilots are married to flying and time away is generally a bonus .

Beer belly alert !

So let me get this straight. You failed your assessment and now you are back to take vengeance? :}
Those figures are wide off btw. ;)

VinRouge
4th Feb 2018, 16:06
TVM for publishing the rosters; it actually is far better than I expected with later departures from LGW and reasonable time off in HOTAC to recover between trips. Nowhere near as much DHD as I expect. Stby could work at a weekend, short breaks with family down to home counties with the chance of a callout and trains back for them.

Understanding is, if you have a bank promissory note or similar, no cash needs to be transferred (got that from the horses mouth, for example having the cash in an offset mortgage account would be fine).

In terms of pay, its not the best, but then again, its more than what I am on now, flying a heavy category jet for the past decade. Prospects of rapid LHS from relief captain salary (which is better than what I am on now).

Only downer they need to look at is the abated per diem/subsistence allowance. Don't understand why this is necessary, other than penny pinching.

Any word on permanent contract T+C post Rishworth, opportunities/timeframe to Type IRE/Training Dept? Any opportunities for the likes of fuel saving/FDM analyst when down route to fill the time?

highfive
5th Feb 2018, 01:06
So let me get this straight. You failed your assessment and now you are back to take vengeance? :}
Those figures are wide off btw. ;)

Nice try. Sorry to disappoint you, but it wasn't for me . But hey, shoot the messenger, right?

What part is not correct? This is the reality, not a criticism!

Basic Pay GBP `7600
Allowances Capped at GBP 900
Little or No Overtime , no matter how long your duty times of FDP's?
Leave will allocated by your employer
Positioning in economy
Best Western level of hotel

And wtf, the poster above wants to do FDA during their down route rest period. Thats duty. You are on rest . Any incident on the way home and the book will be thrown at you. Wise up.

VinRouge
5th Feb 2018, 13:32
Sorry, my understanding of FTL is a set min rest period prior to crew in, not 48 hours. Or during Deadhead. Wise up.

Jeez, some of the community are right princesses. Ive not seen a single hotel less than 4 star on that schedule and all relatively convenient to get in. Hardly a Hanoi Hilton. Good to see transit time to the airport accounted for. Currently working as widebody command for 5500GBP Gross a month with fully receipted subsidence and a cap of circa $50 USD down route. What's an overtime payment?

Boeing 7E7
5th Feb 2018, 15:27
Who the hell do you work for earning so little as a wide body captain?

VinRouge
5th Feb 2018, 15:33
HM Government.

Speedbrakes Up
5th Feb 2018, 16:26
Your pension is certainly far superior to those in Rishworth/OSM.

Also please be aware that annual leave is first come first served, so sorry for those of you who are sat at 35,000ft when the leave bid opens at 0900Z.

VinRouge
5th Feb 2018, 17:05
My pension was cut by a third in 2010, is now career average and doesn't cover 16K of my salary, as it's allowance,but we still pay tax on it. Like for like, a 6/8% scheme is pretty much worth what you will receive.

Whilst these days are much better for time off, we regularly used to lose 20+ days of our annual leave allowance (which we weren't paid for) due to operational requirement (i.e. not enough pilots) No guaranteed days off and 130+ flight hours in a month (not including taxi time) used to be common, as were 8-10 sector days.. one day off in ten too.

I know the grass isn't necessarily greener, I have been extremely lucky and have had some amazing times and proudly served, but looking at the Norwegian offer, it's hardly a barren desert.

Speedbrakes Up
5th Feb 2018, 18:18
TangoAlphad, I am happy to be corrected but it was last year when I had the conversation.

VinRouge, have a look at other long haul carriers for roster comparisons, it may give you an idea on how other airlines operate, and by other carriers I mean Europe long haul based carriers.

Pension wise, I heard 1% is what is on offer with Rishworth and 5% with OSM after 3 years.

Parkbremse
5th Feb 2018, 19:57
The vacation system is like TangoAlphaD said a point based system, taking into account previously assigned (or not) vacations, seniority etc...

Norwegian is certainly not a barren desert nor is the best airline ever on the planet. Of course you will find airlines with better rosters or money but I challenge you to find an airline which offers this kind of career outlook on a wide body as Norwegian does. If you want stability and legacy airline rosters then by all means join a legacy airline or an established carrier like virgin but then don't moan when your 50 and still in the right seat with your upgrade nowhere near in sight.

You win some, you lose some.

That being said, I have averaged 12.5 full days at home each month (not necessarily OFF days) in the last 6 months and I commute (almost never on the same day as the outbound flight). Whether you consider that horrible or good is up to you. I'm certainly happy with my choice and very much enjoy the flying and the working environment.

Meester proach
5th Feb 2018, 20:59
Yes, the leave is not first come first served anymore. It’s better now.

The main thing to remember is ....there is no typical roster..... you can request the various patterns 442 or whatever but month to month the deadheading varies as does the flying.

Some months may have multiple positioning,,, start Gatwick go to USA, back to scandi, back to USA maybe finish Gatwick maybe some place else. Could be Paris or BCN.

3-4 trips a month, 10 days off, those are the Certainties .

highfive
5th Feb 2018, 21:47
And a take home pay of £5500 to £6000 for UK tax payer ?

With my school fees running at £2500 per month , im not sure how Norwegian , in the a long term , will enable pilots to better their childrens future , run a decent sized family home , the Range Rover school run , and be a member of Royal Troon to boot .

Apologies, im living in the past , i know , the industry is what it is now . NLH is one of my options for my retirement job, but with all that positioning in economy, a DVT is a a more likely outcome ;(

EIFFS
5th Feb 2018, 23:05
Tangoalphad

Have to agree money wise the 738 deal is pretty good especially if you end up in LGW and want to work/earn good money. Since last June it’s been double day off payments which is just under £1400 for a skipper and there are plenty of them, there are lots of guys that sell 20 days a year, do the math and some of the guys on 80% are selling close to double that!!

Equally many are not interested and prefer there days off at home, but the choice is yours.

LGW is full on year round so these are not just peak summer months, especially if you have some of the restricted qualifications such as Funchal or NN Winter OPS or ETOPS for the long short haul operation to the US and that before LTC LTCC LCC TRI TRE, tick a few of the boxes and you’ll be between £120K - £160k+

Conversely want time in the sun and low living costs and loads of time with your family go for LPA/TFS put up with a few nights stops and you’ll only fly a couple of days a week.

Meester proach
5th Feb 2018, 23:08
And a take home pay of £5500 to £6000 for UK tax payer ?

With my school fees running at £2500 per month , im not sure how Norwegian , in the a long term , will enable pilots to better their childrens future , run a decent sized family home , the Range Rover school run , and be a member of Royal Troon to boot .

Apologies, im living in the past , i know , the industry is what it is now . NLH is one of my options for my retirement job, but with all that positioning in economy, a DVT is a a more likely outcome ;(

Well, you need to have left school to join......seriously a lot of the guys coming from the ME realise they won’t make the same money as they did there but you pay your money and take your choice. If the fees are £2.5 k a month for a school I’d suggest you’d have to take home £10k after tax to accommodate that and I’m not sure where that would be the case in Europe for DEC.

Meester proach
5th Feb 2018, 23:11
TangoAlphad

Swings and roundabouts. You get 12 DO a month , we get 10 but when it comes to leave we do t lose 1/4 of a DO for each leave day in a month .

av8sean
9th Feb 2018, 06:12
Quite sad to see the standard of accommodations.. basically the same as a low-end US regional. I'm sure the Holiday Inn Oakland is lovely for a 2 day layover. And a Park Inn? That is deplorable. Hope they allow stealing extra booze from the galley to make up for the layover.

Meester proach
9th Feb 2018, 12:43
av8sean

Wow, what a positive attitude . Both a prima donna and a thief....
Most of the hotels are fine, some of them are quite nice. You’ll never be there that long anyway.

Boeing 7E7
10th Feb 2018, 05:36
I think you missed the point.

jabbejokker
10th Feb 2018, 21:22
Is it possible to specify/prefer certain overnights?

Krone
11th Feb 2018, 11:23
Anyone any idea if the bond for the 737 Max ( ie NLH) is the same deal as for the 787 ie. you make a deposit of €40,000/30,000/20,000
depending on current type?

RC88
11th Feb 2018, 11:58
£18000/3 year bond. But nothing paid upfront. Contract is with OSM not Rishworth.

samca
11th Feb 2018, 12:23
Hi guys, Just a question.

I’m type rated FO on 73 and last January I applied for Relief Captain 787 and also for 737.
I did the online assessment and after that I received an email from NORWEGIAN Pilot recruitment Team Asking me to fill a form due to new recruitment procces. This mail was on last January 22nd. I send back the form and from that day I have no news from NORWEGIAN.

What can I expect? Do you think guys Should I write an email or just wait. What’s the next step? How fast is going the recruitment?

Meester proach
11th Feb 2018, 19:09
Last jan ?
Er, yeah, I should follow that up.

There’s 11 new 787s coming this year, a requirement for lots more pilots

av8sean
12th Feb 2018, 21:10
Really...? When were you last at the Park Inn, London Heathrow? Take a day off to count the number of airlines staying there, and I'm guessing none of them are stealing booze to cope, as you suggest.

I haven't been there but I doubt any US based crews stay there. That place wouldn't even comply with the flight attendant contractual standards. If a 3 star motel/inn on the side of the freeway is acceptable to you after a long haul trip, then enjoy.

fly4more
13th Feb 2018, 03:07
Korean love the Park Inn.
Infact all their hotels are low ball 3 star.
Don’t expect to get a interruption free rest . Ear plugs mandatory.

OMDB30R
13th Feb 2018, 07:30
They don’t use the “Inn” they stay in somewhere quite nice in OAK.

av8sean
14th Feb 2018, 04:28
From a Norwegian schedule posted on this thread.... 20FEB16 - 23FEB16 Holiday Inn Oakland Airport OAK

I wouldn't call the Holiday Inn Oakland airport nice for anything except a quick sleepover. A block or two away is basically gangland.

OMDB30R
14th Feb 2018, 05:57
That was a while back, they have changed a few hotels, they are actually quite nice and refurbished rooms etc, some you are located in the heart of the city (New York).

captain8
15th Feb 2018, 00:56
With patterns of potentially 3 weeks away , this good to hear !
Airport hotels are one thing , 24/7 commings and goings & slamming doors
. Never ideal for crew rest

bringbackthe80s
15th Feb 2018, 08:14
To be honest if you're young and just starting out then maybe, but all things considered the whole deal/lifestyle prospects don't look too good to me. I' d rather be in the middle east.
To each his own, sure enough..but if this is the future of long haul then mmmmh

Meester proach
15th Feb 2018, 19:12
That’s roster withthe holiday is 2016 , forgive me if I’m wrong but it’s 2018 now.

It’s not the holiday inn anymore ! ( although to be honest I quite liked happy hour there ).

Luggage
27th Feb 2018, 01:20
Any changes to the rosters! I was told it was initially the 'W' style roster but wondering if it has changed.

Does anybody know if they have actually started basing pilots out of Fort Lauderdale? I have heard they are short and not quite sure what is going on there. Is it just European crews taking care of those flights for now?

Im hearing massive delays in the training department from a pilot currently on his TR with Norwegian to be FLL based in Florida.

Are pilots able to average say a 4 on 3 off type schedule over a month? Whats the longest one canexpect to be away?:ok:

Direct Bondi
28th Feb 2018, 04:52
Does anybody know if they have actually started basing pilots out of Fort Lauderdale? I have heard they are short and not quite sure what is going on there. Is it just European crews taking care of those flights for now?

Norwegian might be re-examining its plans to base 787 pilots in Del Boca Vista, FL or anywhere else in the US for that matter.

The Railway Labor Act of 1926 permits transportation workers to join a union, have representation and negotiate a collective agreement with the airline (their real employer) - Link:

https://www.legal.com/labor-employment/railway-labor-act/

Via the Railway Act, Norwegian’s US based 787 cabin crew voted to join and be represented by the AFL-CIO, Association of Flight Attendants union – Link:

http://cabinassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Press-Release.pdf

Norwegian’s US based pilots should seriously consider following the lead of the flight attendants. In addition to union representation and collective bargaining rights with the airline, their commuting may become easier.

OMDB30R
28th Feb 2018, 07:32
Coming from Bondi, you can assume it’s a reliable source and impartial the guys a simple nutter.

Direct Bondi
28th Feb 2018, 09:35
Thank you for your diagnosis Dr. OMDB30R (someone please tell him a Spanish ATPL does not substitute a medical degree).

Perhaps the apparent stall in Norwegian’s 787 US basing’s is not due to possible union worries, but to its financial situation. E24 news 16/2/18:

“Bank Norwegian is giving Norwegian new losses this year”

“They [the Danish Financial Supervisory Authority] are now investigating the airline’s accounting treatment of the ownership interest in the consumer bank and the parent company Norwegian Finans Holding”

“The question is whether Norwegian has so much control over the bank that the airline must account for the ownership interest in the bank in relation to the bank’s book equity”

“In that case, the value would be almost two billion lower than what was stated in the 2017 accounts”

“It would have almost halved the airlines equity”

Article link: https://e24.no/boers-og-finans/norwegian-air-shuttle/bank-norwegian-gir-norwegian-nye-stortap-i-aar/24261704

Please provide other answers, if you have them, to assist those in making their choice to apply.

Gulf Julliet Papa
28th Feb 2018, 10:30
Sorry but as you are good at finding sources do you actually have any source of an "apparent stall in Norwegian’s 787 US basing’s" or not?

GKOC41
28th Feb 2018, 11:47
Bondi

When Norwegian goes tits up you can say "I told you so" but until it happens why don't you just shut the :mad: up as no-one is interested in your rants

lear999wa
28th Feb 2018, 13:41
I am interested in what Bondi has to say.

OMDB30R
28th Feb 2018, 14:33
Be cautious of what Bondi says, as I say this person is a simple nutter and hopefully does not hold any form of “real” license, all this person does is copy and paste......classic looser.

Bondi you are welcome for the diagnosis which wasn’t difficult at all, now I would recommend you get some overdue therapy and I don’t propose to enter into any further discussion with you.

Luggage
28th Feb 2018, 16:09
Well in fairness to what Bondi says I have spoken to pilots currently doing their Type Rating and they are trying to find out info about KFLL bases.

They are in the dark as well and do not have a definitive answer. They assume all is well but have not been given any specifics. I do not claim to know what is going on but it seems rather strange any info about this base seems very hard to come by.

There do not appear to be any pilots based there at present with no figures available on aircraft or crew numbers to be based there.

Im not saying they are covering something up or are about to go bust but the lack of information available is puzzling if not worrying. What happens to pilots who gave up jobs for NAS if KFLL fall through.

I find it very strange that it is so hard to find out what is going on with the Florida base and the flight crews.:confused:

Gulf Julliet Papa
28th Feb 2018, 16:58
I find it very strange that someone would quit a job without a contract...thats worrying?

Arewerunning
28th Feb 2018, 19:00
calling Bondi a nutter? I can say you have no idea: a colleague and pprune poster that now works for Norwegian says that they find its post vey informative. Some of the things that Bondi mentioned many years ago are turning or already turned into reality...(unfortunately).

I, for one, questioned many things reported by Bondi with different "entities" and sources and I do believe he has been of great help in my assessment of Norwegian. For that I will be forever grateful.

Luggage
28th Feb 2018, 19:55
I find it very strange that someone would quit a job without a contract...thats worrying?

Who said anything about quitting a job without a contract?

Luggage
1st Mar 2018, 01:47
The funny thing is there is no info anywhere on the FLL base for pilots. Just what was mentioned in interviews etc.

Its like FLL has already failed and they are trying to hush it up. I know pilots who have signed their contract and started or done the type rating but kind of in the dark as to whats next.

Time will tell I guess. This only pertains to the 787 of course.

Officer Dibbles
1st Mar 2018, 14:37
Any changes to the rosters! I was told it was initially the 'W' style roster but wondering if it has changed.

Im hearing massive delays in the training department from a pilot currently on his TR with Norwegian to be FLL based in Florida.

Are pilots able to average say a 4 on 3 off type schedule over a month? Whats the longest one canexpect to be away?:ok:

more like 7-9 on and 4-5 off

viking767
1st Mar 2018, 20:07
Did they actually find anybody willing to fly the 787 out of FLL under the terms that were announced a while back? Lowest paid wide body pilots in the US.

Luggage
2nd Mar 2018, 16:00
Yes they did. I personally know of 4 pilots both captains and F.O. who have taken the job, signed the contract and done the type rating.

They are also very experienced pilots with check airmen qualifications, sim instructor qualifications and heavy jet time with no transgressions on their records.

As far as what is happening with FLL and if it is up and running with pilots based there and actually flying out of base...well I have absolutely no idea.

captplaystation
2nd Mar 2018, 21:03
As another one with a definite axe to grind, I find it insulting/frustrating/amusing in equal amounts that the NAS "fanboys" always resort to calling Bondi a Nutter , in preference to banishing to the realms of fiction what he posts. . . . . . I wonder why ?

In recent years contracts/bases/continued employment through the Winter (in some years ) has been a bit of a lottery in the company that Norwegian air Shuttle has deteriorated to.

Those of you defending it to the hilt ? well, try it & see, you may be lucky, or, you may be the next one to be screwed over. . . . good luck with that.

EIDW RJ85
4th Mar 2018, 12:59
737 is a conventional 3 year bond.. no cash up front but if you leave within 3 they will want some back. Believe 18k over 3 years reducing pro rata.

However I've just heard a rumour NTR on the 73 has just been stopped and candidates will be in a pool for the next while and they will be prioritising TR candidates. As I said only a rumour and I've no idea if true.

Any more info or truth to this rumour? Currently in the NTR pool myself waiting on a start date for the 737Max. I have heard nothing about this?

EIDW RJ85
4th Mar 2018, 13:15
Hi, NTR here, will start with the course during April.

Heard all course from May have been axed. 3rd hand info tho so may not be accurate.

Luggage
4th Mar 2018, 16:53
Which contract seems to be the better option for pilots regardless of aircraft or what you think may be more fun to fly.

At the end of the day job security and career progression has to take precedence.

From what I can see the 737 seems to be the more stable position. Whether that will be a better long term bet than the 787 seems to be anybodys guess right now.

Speedbrakes Up
4th Mar 2018, 20:11
737 contract is better, better pension and a few more perks, also all the 737 bases have union recognition, which love or hate unions, has made Norwegian a better place to work.

Job security, well 787 pilots have never been laid off, or made to take part time.
737 this happened in 2014 and 2015, but seems to have stopped now.

Career progression is excellent in both operations, plenty of expansion so plenty of chances for promotions base transfers etc...

Direct Bondi
5th Mar 2018, 03:05
Be cautious of what Bondi says, as I say this person is a simple nutter and hopefully does not hold any form of “real” license, all this person does is copy and paste......classic looser.

Expect the usual gastropods with their dung-pile intellect to leave their usual trail of mucus responses whenever I reply to a question, correct misinformation, offer new information or an opinion on Norwegian – even though in most cases I “copy and paste” supporting links to corroborate my post (as below).

The ‘airline employee’ is extinct at Norwegian. Aviation career dreams replaced by service industry nightmares of temporary employment – read the contract.

Norwegian's cheerleaders argue your employer is irrelevant. If so, why does PARAT union, who represent Norwegian’s “core” cadre of pilots and flight attendants in Scandinavia, relentlessly continue its fight to win a legal ruling the airline is their real employer? Ref report in DN news 27/2/18:

“Now PARAT’s members appeal the matter of who is the real employer in the Supreme Court”

Link: https://www.dn.no/nyheter/2018/02/27/1541/Luftfart/parat-anker-norwegian-dom

On its website the Norwegian Pilot Group states; “To form an alliance uniting all Norwegian pilots”

Link: https://norwegianpilotgroup.org/

With more deals being struck than in a Bangkok backstreet market by the various unions representing pilots at the various bases (to their agency employer), and a race to the bottom scheme supported by life forms such as OMDB30R, “an alliance uniting all Norwegian pilots” could not be farther from the truth. Divide and conquer - mission accomplished.

There is indeed a reason the 787 FLL base has stalled. I can offer three words that might help explain it; read my posts.

Luggage
5th Mar 2018, 04:03
Heard all course from May have been axed. 3rd hand info tho so may not be accurate.

As in no more hiring on the 787, shutting down FLL base or what? To axe all courses has to mean something rather drastic.

Luggage
5th Mar 2018, 04:04
I went for the interview beginning of february and I received the date few days ago.

You might be lucky, keep fingers crossed!

What date did they give you? If all courses are scrapped you must be starting straight away.

Luggage
5th Mar 2018, 04:08
Expect the usual gastropods with their dung-pile intellect to leave their usual trail of mucus responses whenever I reply to a question, correct misinformation, offer new information or an opinion on Norwegian – even though in most cases I “copy and paste” supporting links to corroborate my post (as below).

The ‘airline employee’ is extinct at Norwegian. Aviation career dreams replaced by service industry nightmares of temporary employment – read the contract.

Norwegian's cheerleaders argue your employer is irrelevant. If so, why does PARAT union, who represent Norwegian’s “core” cadre of pilots and flight attendants in Scandinavia, relentlessly continue its fight to win a legal ruling the airline is their real employer? Ref report in DN news 27/2/18:

“Now PARAT’s members appeal the matter of who is the real employer in the Supreme Court”

Link: https://www.dn.no/nyheter/2018/02/27/1541/Luftfart/parat-anker-norwegian-dom

On its website the Norwegian Pilot Group states; “To form an alliance uniting all Norwegian pilots”

Link: https://norwegianpilotgroup.org/

With more deals being struck than in a Bangkok backstreet market by the various unions representing pilots at the various bases (to their agency employer), and a race to the bottom scheme supported by life forms such as OMDB30R, “an alliance uniting all Norwegian pilots” could not be farther from the truth. Divide and conquer - mission accomplished.

There is indeed a reason the 787 FLL base has stalled. I can offer three words that might help explain it; read my posts.

Whats your take on the continuation of an FLL base and the hiring onto 787, for crews to be US based?

Direct Bondi
5th Mar 2018, 08:49
On 4 March, 2015, Dagbladet news reported comments by SEPLA President, Javier Martinez de Velasco;

“Pilots must be employed by an airline and cannot be hired from an external crew company”

“The bosses and the office workers, and even the ground staff can be hired out, but not the pilots”

Article link:
https://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/nor...leger/60704442

SEPLA recently signed a collective agreement with Norwegian Air Resources, effectively accepting its members flying for Norwegian are temporary and rented service industry employees and not airline employees. Furthermore, with no union representation to the airline – their real employer.

FlipFlapFlop
5th Mar 2018, 12:16
Here we go again. Bondi posts and a small number then slag him off. Not one ever counteracts his comments with anything that resembles serious rebuttal. Why is that ?

Smooth Airperator
5th Mar 2018, 17:48
Solenoid are you type rated? Which seat?

I passed selection in October and despite saying I am available to every single course start date (except one) I have still not been offered one 5 months later. I haven't even been offered June.

NTR FO 4000 hrs. Anyone similar position?

Sidestick_n_Rudder
5th Mar 2018, 17:51
As in no more hiring on the 787, shutting down FLL base or what? To axe all courses has to mean something rather drastic.

I don’t have any insider info, however my application, which had been floating around for 2+years has recently been officially rejected - even though I ticked all the boxes and and have all the required experience.

Either they don’t like me, or they don’t need pilots...

directmisbi
5th Mar 2018, 18:12
Norwegian are fully crewed for 2018, simple as that.

Luggage
5th Mar 2018, 19:03
Solenoid are you type rated? Which seat?

I passed selection in October and despite saying I am available to every single course start date (except one) I have still not been offered one 5 months later. I haven't even been offered June.

NTR FO 4000 hrs. Anyone similar position?

I know of a couple guys like that. Ready to go but getting pushed back. Now they are doing 787 FAA ratings only in Miami for 787 pilots and if you have an EASA licence you are delayed. Go figure.

Luggage
5th Mar 2018, 19:04
I don’t have any insider info, however my application, which had been floating around for 2+years has recently been officially rejected - even though I ticked all the boxes and and have all the required experience.

Either they don’t like me, or they don’t need pilots...

Which base did you apply for? What are your qualifications?

Luggage
5th Mar 2018, 19:16
On 4 March, 2015, Dagbladet news reported comments by SEPLA President, Javier Martinez de Velasco;

“Pilots must be employed by an airline and cannot be hired from an external crew company”

“The bosses and the office workers, and even the ground staff can be hired out, but not the pilots”

Article link:
https://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/nor...leger/60704442

SEPLA recently signed a collective agreement with Norwegian Air Resources, effectively accepting its members flying for Norwegian are temporary and rented service industry employees and not airline employees. Furthermore, with no union representation to the airline – their real employer.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the 787 pilot group. I can see another RYR scenario with pilots leaving in droves wiith 1000 plus hours on type and taking their skillset into the contract market if they dont eventually get representation and a decent contract. Pay rates are very low compared to what they should be for a 787 pilot with experience and 5000 plus hours.

Market favours the pilot group now and with the US set to suck in a lot expat pilots back home plus the retirements there will be a lot of openings. I dont work at NAS and cannot comment on the day to day life, satisfaction or happiness levels of a pilot.

Pilots will realise a great opportunity when it comes their way. It may be a great place to work now with a lot of satisfied people however start throwing the $ at pilots and they will up sticks and move.

The Asian contract market is set to explode and the 787 experience will be super useful.

Of course I could be wrong and this is the way forward but I wont be putting all my eggs in one basket...not just yet anyways.

Luggage
5th Mar 2018, 19:22
Probably because he is just ranting on and people are just fed up listening to it.

Yes, everyone at Norwegian would prefer to be directly employed. I don’t think anyone denies that but it is where we are and I don’t see it changing. It isn’t the best arrangement out there for sure but it isn’t the worst and it is becoming more and more common.

Bondi and a few others have obviously had issues with Norwegian in the past and that is a shame but thousands of others don’t. I know guys who have had issues and been dismissed from major UK/EU carriers who have been very much directly employed... I don’t think the employment situation was the reason for the termination in any of the scenarios. I think If you are gonna get fired you will be getting fired one way or another, it doesn’t matter in which way you were removed from the position.

I am very happy at norwegian and 99% of the people I meet at work are all very happy with the company also. It is a low cost carrier so it isn’t perfect but it is a lot nicer place to work than others. They are an airline and need to achieve things occasionally so yes you may end up arguing with planning or Crewing etc if they ask you to go somewhere but if there has been an issue at home etc if you pick up the phone and calls the right dept it is usually a very helpful and considerate response.

It is a different company to that of the past, it is a nice place to work although not perfect.

In fairness to Bondi or anybody else that may have been ranting on about NAS, they seem to be posting links and information regarding issues at NAS which must be discussed.

In fairness to you I will take you at your word as a happy employee and believe you when you say there has been improvements made and a lot of happy people work there.

However this FLL 787 scenario and course date issue seems a little suspect. It is because I know of pilots there now doing the rating that are still in the dark as to what is going on which seems a little odd to me.

However time will tell whether this venture will work or not. NAS must have done something right to be where they are today and clearly people like you are happy there so I will be interested to see what others say going forward.

VinRouge
5th Mar 2018, 19:58
In fairness to Bondi or anybody else that may have been ranting on about NAS, they seem to be posting links and information regarding issues at NAS which must be discussed.

In fairness to you I will take you at your word as a happy employee and believe you when you say there has been improvements made and a lot of happy people work there.

However this FLL 787 scenario and course date issue seems a little suspect. It is because I know of pilots there now doing the rating that are still in the dark as to what is going on which seems a little odd to me.

However time will tell whether this venture will work or not. NAS must have done something right to be where they are today and clearly people like you are happy there so I will be interested to see what others say going forward.

More interested to see how NAS plan to staff their fleet if there is a hiatus on recruitment. They are adding something like another 18 787-9's by 2021. Kinda suggests to me that the rumour is guff.

https://image.ibb.co/cpkgnn/Norwegian.jpg

Luggage
5th Mar 2018, 20:12
Where did you get the NAS graphic. I would like to read the accompanying article if there is one.

VinRouge
5th Mar 2018, 20:23
Q4 Interim Financial Report, presentation.

https://www.norwegian.com/globalassets/documents/quarterly-results/norwegian-q4-2017-presentation.pdf

Financials detail here:

https://www.norwegian.com/globalassets/documents/quarterly-results/norwegian-q4-2017-report.pdf

All reports:

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/about/company/investor-relations/reports-and-presentations/

Happy to help. :)

The Crew
6th Mar 2018, 06:08
Not so fast. Norwegian could abandon the UK if the trans Atlantic open skies is not resolved.
Search for Open skies in Todays The Sun:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5733920/washington-downgrades-open-skies-deal-with-uk-airlines-as-britain-prepares-to-leave-europe

Gulf Julliet Papa
6th Mar 2018, 09:46
Not so fast. Norwegian could abandon the UK if the trans Atlantic open skies is not resolved.
Search for Open skies in Todays The Sun:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5733920/washington-downgrades-open-skies-deal-with-uk-airlines-as-britain-prepares-to-leave-europe

As could BA, VS, BY, MT, AA, UA, DL .....

You have said they are on a type rating, and have a contract so what exactly are they in the dark about?

Jumbo2
6th Mar 2018, 11:37
How much money can they afford to burn before investors are getting worried? They really increased the burning of money now with a load factor down by 2.0% and a RASK down by 6%:

NewsWeb (http://www.newsweb.no/newsweb/search.do?messageId=445882)

directmisbi
6th Mar 2018, 12:16
DNB market analysts came out today saying they expect an EBITDA of minus 223 mill for 2018, and a plus of 1,2 billion for 2019.

iome
6th Mar 2018, 12:37
DNB market analysts came out today saying they expect an EBITDA of minus 223 mill for 2018, and a plus of 1,2 billion for 2019.

Source? Maybe a link?

Luggage
7th Mar 2018, 04:27
You have said they are on a type rating, and have a contract so what exactly are they in the dark about?[/QUOTE]

About FLL and whether it is viable as a base and will become fully operational!

Gulf Julliet Papa
7th Mar 2018, 07:51
Im not sure what you term or deem fully operational? It has been a cabin crew base for about 2/3 years, and now also a pilot base for I guess about a year. Your friend applied to be a pilot based in FLL. In terms of aircraft, you could say none are based, but your friend will start/finish his duty in FLL on one of the 14 or so weekly departures/arrivals.

Luggage
10th Mar 2018, 21:02
Why are no aircraft based in FLL? My understanding is this was suppossed to happen but has not.

matt283
11th Mar 2018, 08:09
Norwegian keeps normally 787 around 2h on the ground during the turn...

Gulf Julliet Papa
11th Mar 2018, 08:17
Why are no aircraft based in FLL? My understanding is this was suppossed to happen but has not.

I *think* it was only ever announced as a crew base? I'd suspect if you had an aircraft "Based" there it would lead to poor utilisation, FLL > Europe is a fairly short sector compared to most.

Luggage
11th Mar 2018, 16:39
I *think* it was only ever announced as a crew base? I'd suspect if you had an aircraft "Based" there it would lead to poor utilisation, FLL > Europe is a fairly short sector compared to most.

Im not so sure about that. I am fairly certain they were suppossed to base aircraft there. They were also to allow FAA pilots to fly the aircraft whilst studying for the EASA which has also failed to materialise.

Like I said the pilots I know who are training are being kept in the dark about certain aspects of this job. It seems that NAS themselves are not too confident on this whole FLL situation working out.

The pilots I know are training and asking questions whilst being given very vague answers. OSM does not seem to be reliable as a contract agency at all either.

For this to work they will need to base aircraft in the US along with maintenance or it just becomes to expensive and non reliable. Just like the 2017 season of constantly having to hire aircraft from operators like Wamos Air (Spanish) and others.

lansen
11th Mar 2018, 17:25
Im not so sure about that. I am fairly certain they were suppossed to base aircraft there. They were also to allow FAA pilots to fly the aircraft whilst studying for the EASA which has also failed to materialise.

Like I said the pilots I know who are training are being kept in the dark about certain aspects of this job. It seems that NAS themselves are not too confident on this whole FLL situation working out.

The pilots I know are training and asking questions whilst being given very vague answers. OSM does not seem to be reliable as a contract agency at all either.

For this to work they will need to base aircraft in the US along with maintenance or it just becomes to expensive and non reliable. Just like the 2017 season of constantly having to hire aircraft from operators like Wamos Air (Spanish) and others.

US pilots based in FLL all operate under an EASA validation and have two years to convert their FAA license to an equivalent EASA license.
FLL is a crew base. It's well known.

Sorry to say, but either you are a lier/troll or your friends are complete retards. :}

Luggage
11th Mar 2018, 21:37
US pilots based in FLL all operate under an EASA validation and have two years to convert their FAA license to an equivalent EASA license.
FLL is a crew base. It's well known.

Sorry to say, but either you are a lier/troll or your friends are complete retards. :}

I think you better look in the mirror when it comes to retards. There is no more 2 year validation...FACT....

They are all doing EASA licences first then they start the job. The IAA never allowed the validation.

I would think you want to know this before posting more rubbish!!

Dont believe me, make some enquiries..

Gulf Julliet Papa
11th Mar 2018, 23:08

It seems that the “certain aspects of the job” that your friends have been “kept in the dark” with are driven by rumour, assumptions and guestimations by people that have nothing to do with norwegian nor have any intention of joining and just out to stir. Your friends have access to an internal website, and TREs etc which would provide a lot of answers if they were really that concerned or bothered.

Why does a CREW base require an aircraft and maintenance base to work? I’m really confused by this? As far as the pilot is concerned, his duty starts and finishes at FLL, I’m not sure how the rest matter?

GKOC41
12th Mar 2018, 15:57
As far as the pilot is concerned, his duty starts and finishes at FLL, I’m not sure how the rest matter?

What's the crack with commuting at DY or daren't I ask...

TUIFly
13th Mar 2018, 12:48
It seems that the “certain aspects of the job” that your friends have been “kept in the dark” with are driven by rumour, assumptions and guestimations by people that have nothing to do with norwegian nor have any intention of joining and just out to stir. Your friends have access to an internal website, and TREs etc which would provide a lot of answers if they were really that concerned or bothered.

Why does a CREW base require an aircraft and maintenance base to work? I’m really confused by this? As far as the pilot is concerned, his duty starts and finishes at FLL, I’m not sure how the rest matter?
Well this is U.S. "definition" of base. Planes, crew room, maintanace, crewtrackers etc. Very complex and expensive."Base" means seniority issues and rules.It's how it works in U.S.
European side works bit differently, "base" might be only crew, some times even part of crew, sometimes temporarily, sometimes mixed. Very flexible, especially in low cost segment.Sometimes operated by contractor crews. My understanding for Norwegian's FLL Is more "reverse schedullung"operations network wide with only one significant difference:joblisted at U.S registered branch of OSM. And this part is most problematic for Norwegian so far regarding unions..and reason why it's not really works well. I guess if they will finish soon this experiment, U.S. pilots can get residency in Ireland and continue work for Irish OSM. Maybe I'm wrong....

GKOC41
13th Mar 2018, 16:03
Commute for free on S2 tickets on any fleet. S2 is higher priority than ID90's and will get you on crew seats avail also ie jump seats.
Tango
Sorry i should have been more specific. Commuting as in prior to FDP or not?

Gulf Julliet Papa
13th Mar 2018, 18:20
I don't think any airline will advocate commuting prior to a FDP. If or not it's "possible" obviously depends on where your from / going to. Might be worth (to get a rough idea) looking at at the flight status on their site to see when the LH Departures and Arrivals come in

hans brinker
14th Mar 2018, 05:23
I don't think any airline will advocate commuting prior to a FDP. If or not it's "possible" obviously depends on where your from / going to. Might be worth (to get a rough idea) looking at at the flight status on their site to see when the LH Departures and Arrivals come in

I assume you are only talking about EU, here in the LotF,HotB half the pilots commute, the majority before FDP. My Company requires me to have two options getting me there before check in. If I miss the first one, I call scheduling, they can buy me a ticket or just wait. If I don’t get on I get removed from the trip, lose the pay, but never disciplinary action.

Luggage
20th Mar 2018, 18:00
What are the requirements to upgrade for an FO and how long does it currently take on average from day of joining?

I know they have relief captains but do you have to become a RCA before CA or if you have the hours and requirements can you become a full captain from FO and skip RCA?

737 Jockey
20th Mar 2018, 19:18
What are the requirements to upgrade for an FO and how long does it currently take on average from day of joining?

I know they have relief captains but do you have to become a RCA before CA or if you have the hours and requirements can you become a full captain from FO and skip RCA?

Well, a couple of guys I know who moved from SH to LH two years ago are currently doing their upgrade from RCA to CP, and there are a heck of a lot of RCA’s! Not sure if they upgrade FO’s directly?

Luggage
20th Mar 2018, 20:26
Whats the time frame from FO-RCA-CA looking like from day of joining?

Gulf Julliet Papa
20th Mar 2018, 23:23
Whats the time frame from FO-RCA-CA looking like from day of joining?

With what experience / hours prior to joining?

Luggage
21st Mar 2018, 01:05
For all pilots really. Whether you join with 2000 hours total and 1000 jet or 5000 total and 2000 hours jet, no 787 time though.

How many 787 hours on type do you require for RCA and full CA?

viking767
21st Mar 2018, 18:48
Is the FLL base up and running? How many pilots?

Luggage
22nd Mar 2018, 03:29
Apparently up and running with no planes based there.

viking767
22nd Mar 2018, 15:35
Any idea how many pilots in FLL and if they are still hiring?

Luggage
22nd Mar 2018, 17:21
No idea on how many pilots are there but I believe they are still hiring for FLL 787 base.

I spoke to a few pilots leaving the ME3 for Norwegian 787 job as apparently in the ME things are going from bad to worse.

Norwegian less money but people seem a lot happier.

Moonwalker
22nd Mar 2018, 21:46
Not that it has anything to do with the topic but I find it a bit interesting that no one has mentioned that Norwegian made a private placement 2 days ago to increase its equity (from very low level). We are around the peak of another economical cycle and I find it a bit alarming that they cannot keep afloat without asking the shareholders for more money. Something to consider for people out there thinking the grass is greener somewhere else.

Speedbrakes Up
23rd Mar 2018, 08:22
Takes a huge amount of money to expand so aggressively, I agree with, but with a fleet of over 100 aircraft should they not be making money now, which would allow them to fund their own expansion?
I did read for last year or last quarter they made a loss of $10 per passengers flown.
Investors will want their money back at some point.... And why invest more if your not seeing any returns, you don't invest out of good will, you invest to make money.

737 Jockey
23rd Mar 2018, 18:46
For all pilots really. Whether you join with 2000 hours total and 1000 jet or 5000 total and 2000 hours jet, no 787 time though.

How many 787 hours on type do you require for RCA and full CA?

Co-Pilot to Relief Captain

5,000 hours total time
2,000 hours medium jet

Don’t know about Relief Captain to Captain... correction, about two years for guys I know, after about 1,000 widebody hours. Apparently if a short haul Captain accrues 1,000 hours on The 737Max doing ETOPS, this allows them to apply for DEC in LH.

Luggage
30th Mar 2018, 01:56
So, any updates on recruitment? Still nothing offered since October for me. No news about June 2018 yet.

Are you waiting for a class date for FLL base or elsewhere. I heard all courses this year were being conducted in LGW, well as far as the FLL pilots are concerned, not sure about other bases.

I presume they are still interviewing for 787 FO and CA.

Luggage
31st Mar 2018, 01:08
LGW base. I'm guessing I'm being discriminated against because I'm Airbus (FO) and have no Boeing experience. Boeing training are ultimately deciding and first in first out is not the philosophy they've adopted.

My mate told me it is up to Norwegian what pilots are selected for training and when, OSM has no input apparently. This of course applies to people who have been offered jobs.

To be honest I would not know about your Boeing theory there, I cant comment on that but seems like a very strange approach if true. Its not going to be any easier for a 737 pilot to get typed over a A320, CRJ or Embraer 190 pilot.

Not sure they would do that but guess its a possibility!

Thad Jarvis
31st Mar 2018, 18:06
From what I’ve been told by plenty that have done it, the similarities between the 73 and 78 stop at the name Boeing. The level of automation in the 320 is more akin to the 787 but it’s their train to play with.

flareflyer
4th Apr 2018, 13:02
Hello gents
Does anybody know what the rosters and pay is for a cpt on the 78 based in bcn?
Thanks

CaptainProp
12th Apr 2018, 10:42
" IAG International Airlines Group has confirmed it intends to open talks with Norwegian (DY, Oslo Gardermoen) over a possible takeover.

In a disclosure, the European carrier conglomerate described Norwegian as an "attractive investment". It added that its recent acquisition of a 4.61% stake in the Scandinavian low-cost carrier is intended to establish a position from which to initiate discussions with Norwegian, including the possibility of a full offer.

"IAG confirms that no such discussions have taken place to date, that it has taken no decision to make an offer at this time and that there is no certainty that any such decision will be made," it added.

Norwegian operates across several AOCs which, aside from its Norway-based operations, include Norwegian UK, Norwegian Air International (Ireland), and Norwegian Air Argentina. For its part, IAG operates LEVEL, Iberia, and Vueling Airlines in Spain, British Airways in the United Kingdom, and Aer Lingus in Ireland. "

CaptainProp
12th Apr 2018, 10:45
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-owner-iag-considers-bid-for-norwegian-air-1.3459405

Very interesting times we live in.

CP

negativeclimb
26th Apr 2018, 14:59
Hello gents,
i am looking around for my future and I might apply as relief captain 787 position. Can you help me to get the answer to my questions?

1. How is the environment in the company?
2. How long does it takes the upgrade to Cpt from relief Cpt?
3. Is easy to commute for those whom doesn't live in the base?
4. How good ar the chances to obtain FCO base?

thank you to everyone for your help, appreciate it.

Meester proach
30th Apr 2018, 11:06
1. Good atmosphere
2. About 2 years depend on performance and if you upset anyone
3. Random rostering, not always easy. Main base LGW, expect standbys there.
4. Don’t know

negativeclimb
1st May 2018, 09:42
Hi,
thanks for your infos, so looks not so bad!
Thank you very much!

AutolandIT
1st May 2018, 10:24
1. Good atmosphere
2. About 2 years depend on performance and if you upset anyone
3. Random rostering, not always easy. Main base LGW, expect standbys there.
4. Don’t know
How standbys work? How many can you expect in a month?

whitemonk
1st May 2018, 13:30
What is the take home pay for an FO? BCN or LGW?
Do you have to pay the bond in cash?
Is it commutable, currently based in the Northern UK but looking to move to PMI.
Cheers

Luke258
2nd May 2018, 09:59
What is the take home pay for an FO? BCN or LGW?
Do you have to pay the bond in cash?
Is it commutable, currently based in the Northern UK but looking to move to PMI.
Cheers
Depends on where you live. If you live abroad the UK and there's a DTA in place they will transfer you the salary as gross salary. You will have to pay taxes on your own behalf. It all depends on where you live.
The bond can be either a bank guarantee where you pay around 1-2% interest or you can pay in cash. However you won't receive any interest on your money. I'm considering a move to PMI as well. I expect around 4300-5000€ net.

Luke258
2nd May 2018, 10:01
Hello gents,
i am looking around for my future and I might apply as relief captain 787 position. Can you help me to get the answer to my questions?

1. How is the environment in the company?
2. How long does it takes the upgrade to Cpt from relief Cpt?
3. Is easy to commute for those whom doesn't live in the base?
4. How good ar the chances to obtain FCO base?

thank you to everyone for your help, appreciate it.

During the last bidding period most of the people got the base they applied for. I guess getting FCO base shouldn't be a big problem

GKOC41
2nd May 2018, 16:24
How standbys work? How many can you expect in a month?

Standbys the curse of a Commuting Pilot least you enquired before you joined - my experience is most don't....

Meester proach
2nd May 2018, 17:33
Ask rishworth aviation , they’ll have all the TCs.

how many standbys ? How long is a piece of string, “ variable “

samca
2nd May 2018, 22:33
So if the bond is through a bank guarantee you need to negociate the amount with your own bank like a loan??. I though you sign a document with the company and that it was enough.
I don’t know if my bank is going to Agree this kind of “loan”...
let see...

VinRouge
3rd May 2018, 04:23
So if the bond is through a bank guarantee you need to negociate the amount with your own bank like a loan??. I though you sign a document with the company and that it was enough.
I don’t know if my bank is going to Agree this kind of “loan”...
let see...

It's called a promissory note and means the amount payable depends upon set conditions. Usually, you will need some form of asset (house) or the money in the account before they will provide one.

samca
3rd May 2018, 08:05
It's called a promissory note and means the amount payable depends upon set conditions. Usually, you will need some form of asset (house) or the money in the account before they will provide one.
unbelievable why don’t sign a normal bond like in other companies?? With the pilot shortage that they are suffering and doing this things

NEDude
3rd May 2018, 10:49
unbelievable why don’t sign a normal bond like in other companies?? With the pilot shortage that they are suffering and doing this things

Word is they do not have a pilot shortage. They apparently have enough pilots in their "pool" to staff another four months worth of OCCs. But hiring is slowing down and the upgrade for this late summer is cancelled. Six 787s are being leased out, and three deliveries have been deferred. So basically things are now at a standstill with Norwegian long haul.

Meester proach
3rd May 2018, 18:55
6 have been changed to a sale and lease back, but still with NAS/NUK

samca
4th May 2018, 06:39
Word is they do not have a pilot shortage. They apparently have enough pilots in their "pool" to staff another four months worth of OCCs. But hiring is slowing down and the upgrade for this late summer is cancelled. Six 787s are being leased out, and three deliveries have been deferred. So basically things are now at a standstill with Norwegian long haul.

and the reason for that is pilot shortage???

VinRouge
5th May 2018, 11:11
No, the change to orders are nothing to do with crew shortages.
Any hints?

CaptainProp
5th May 2018, 15:59
I thought NEOs were always planned for 2019?

on time all the time
5th May 2018, 18:49
They don’t use the “Inn” they stay in somewhere quite nice in OAK.

Korean crews stay at the Premier Inn LHR T4. I saw a full crew the day I was staying there in April. Yes it is not a 5* hotel but it is very comfortable and extremely well sound proofed.

nilcostoptionmyass
22nd May 2018, 16:30
Today...
i love the way the marketing men sell it. As a pilot, you can fly anywhere. If the company fails, you will get another job. Who’s really interested in ‘new a/c and load factors ?
’new deal’ ?
Really ? Looks like the lowest paid long haul 787 job anywhere in the world ?
£5500 take home for a 787 skipper in U.K. with 28 days leave ?
am I missing something ?

Smooth Airperator
22nd May 2018, 19:20
That translates to £95k before tax annual salary according to my calcs. There was a guy here saying as a year 1 CPT he earned £128k.

EH574
25th May 2018, 17:13
hi guys, does anyone know what a realistic take-home pay is for a relief cpt in FCO base?

Papa_Golf
28th May 2018, 19:06
hi guys, does anyone know what a realistic take-home pay is for a relief cpt in FCO base?

I've been told a few months back that it's in the region of 6K€. It would be a tempting job if you could add a couple of grands on top of it.

VinRouge
28th May 2018, 22:37
That translates to £95k before tax annual salary according to my calcs. There was a guy here saying as a year 1 CPT he earned £128k.
As a 10 year widebody captain, my last year saw me earn 63K gbp including allowances and expenses.

Before you ask, military. Would have bitten their arm off for 95K gross working for a nice company going to nice places.

ATC83
8th Jun 2018, 06:21
Hi All

We all know the Rishworth deal is not the best. But looking into the future, would anyone have any info on the OSM contract you move on to after the initial 3 years?

salary, days off, overtime, per diem, pension % contribution etc.

i heard it is better with OSM but have not seen any figures. Specifically looking at LGW base living in UK.

Thanks 👍

av8sean
9th Jun 2018, 01:45
You guys make me want to cry. In the US I can make $15k a month as a third year pilot with 10% retirement contribution. Work about 12 days per month. This is considered one of the lowest contracts. Pitiful.

Daddy Fantastic
9th Jun 2018, 04:34
Yeah well Europe ain't America is it. We would all love American Legacy T's and C's but we compare and work with what we can realistically get in Europe.

Thats because you have such weak attitudes in Europe. You just dont fight back or walk away. You have thousands of youngsters buying type ratings and paying for 500 hours on type and you wonder why European aviation sucks that badly!!

Speedbrakes Up
9th Jun 2018, 16:02
Norwegian is not even realistic of Europe, you just have to look at other carriers to find that out.

Tamass
9th Jul 2018, 15:16
Anyone would be willing to share a recent cruise captain roster based out of BCN or FCO? I would love to see how much off do you actually have at base...is it any different in Gatwick or in amsterdam?
Thank you!

lansen
10th Jul 2018, 01:37
You guys make me want to cry. In the US I can make $15k a month as a third year pilot with 10% retirement contribution. Work about 12 days per month. This is considered one of the lowest contracts. Pitiful.

Why would anyone sitting on a U.S. legacy contract come to this thread on PPRuNe and brag about his or her contract? Apparently social life isn't included in the other 18-19 days each month. Guessing by your post here (https://www.pprune.org/middle-east/438615-emirates-ek-interview-all-you-need-know-about-threads-merged-130.html#post6354184) however, I'm guessing you are just a troll. Instead of BS-ing us rather tell us about you Micky D salary on the CRJ at Air Wisconsin/MESA/Republic Airways or likewise.
Embarrassing.... :}

Anyone would be willing to share a recent cruise captain roster based out of BCN or FCO? I would love to see how much off do you actually have at base...is it any different in Gatwick or in amsterdam?
Thank you!

The usual roster contains three, sometimes four flights with two/three of them usually in a w-pattern and one/two standalone/s, two standbys (90 minutes callout), 12-15 days off 5-5/4-4-2/6-4/8-2/10 etc (10 days guaranteed and remaining RD rest on duty or RES reserve 24 hour notice callout standby) average 60-70 block. Gatwick is either the same as Barcelona or (if you are within NUK) only point to point starting and ending in LGW and you'll fly a lot more within NUK (75+bh). Forget AMS. The base is full and even if it opens up again for new guys, there are a ****load of dutch guys in the company with a better seniority than you just waiting for a spot in AMS. Hope that helps for a start.

flareflyer
10th Jul 2018, 08:54
:}Gents sorry for my ignorance......what is NUK???:}

JW411
10th Jul 2018, 09:35
Norwegian UK.

flareflyer
10th Jul 2018, 12:57
:OThank you

flareflyer
10th Jul 2018, 15:27
I have been offered a position as dec 787 based in bcn.
Any chance to know roughly what is the monthly income after tax and roughly how many hours per month?

Thanks

Flare

waffler
11th Jul 2018, 13:22
Did you not ask these questions at your interview?

Daddy Fantastic
11th Jul 2018, 16:47
Did you not ask these questions at your interview?

Just answer the question if you know the answer or shut up. Stop being such a doechbag!!

Why do we always have to have snarky snide comments on this site. If you want to help out help, if not just be quiet!!

flareflyer
12th Jul 2018, 06:44
Waffler i am sure it has to be a pleasure to fly with you.......

Smooth Airperator
12th Jul 2018, 07:57
Hi guys

What's the time to command right now for an FO joining with say 3000 hours?

- RCA?
- Captain?

Thanks

Buter
12th Jul 2018, 10:45
I can’t really disagree with you, dude, but for the sake of a reasoned debate, what do you mean by third year pilot?

A few months after flying school I was in the front of a well respected LoCo 737 and, with the grand total of 500 jet hours, was on my second medium jet type, flying for the flag carrier. So 3 years from my first flight, I was in a legacy airline - you’d have to work hard to convince me that is possible in the states (in fact, I know it’s not possible...).

Yeah, the pay scales here suck compared to the big guys in the US (and I certainly hope to improve on that soon), but I also suspect your 3rd year wages come considerably later in your flying career than year 3?

Happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers

Buter

edit - before y’all even start, no, I’ve never paid to fly or funded my own type rating.

Smooth Airperator
12th Jul 2018, 14:51
I just wanted to add here that if you join Norwegian as a US based pilot (employed by OSM) you do not pay any upfront training bond.

A pilot hired for the same job at a European base but employed by Global Crew pays a bond.

lansen
12th Jul 2018, 19:54
Hi guys

What's the time to command right now for an FO joining with say 3000 hours?

- RCA?
- Captain?

Thanks

RCA - 5000 TT, 2500 EFIS or 1500PIC (CS25) (Direct entry) or 5000TT, 2000CS25 (internal upgrade)
Captain - 6000 TT, 2000PIC narrow body/1000PIC widebody (internal upgrade) or 6000TT 2500PIC EFIS or 1000PIC widebody (direct entry)

PLD
25th Jul 2018, 21:43
Hi all,

Anyone got the confirmation for the 29/10 787 course base in LGW?

Cheers

dcoded
15th Aug 2018, 08:46
Being in the pool for LH I wonder if anyone could shed some advice / experience.
Currently flying for an outfit in Scandinavia, with an upgrade opportunity not so far away around the corner, and a newly born kid under the arm.
Terms and Conditions are good, but with some 4-6 day trips away from base on almost every sling making a total overnights each month around 10-15.
Currently no opportunity for a bidding system.

I know that being in Norwegian LH will probably cause the same amount of nights away, being based outside of Scandinavia (Initially,if given chance to bid for new CPH base sometime in future).

How does it work with the rating, if exercising the "bank guarantee" option, in case of the company goes bankrupt / restructures to that point that you loose your job?

The social system in Scandinavia in regards of parenthood is quite good, and offers you possibility of staying at home with minimal money loss, and gives an individual the right of part time work.
How does it work in the other LH bases, like Gatwick for example?

thanks

dcoded
26th Aug 2018, 12:57
I heard rumors that Norwegian will drop the self bonded (pay up front) In the near future.

Any one some with some more information regarding this?

Javierb787
27th Aug 2018, 18:50
Guys, only one coment.

i see a lot if critics about norwegian, but what is perfect in life?.

Vueling? Easyjet? Ryanair? Etihad? Qatar? Evaair?

There is nothing perfect in life.

You can live in dubai, u will make more money, but u will not have life, only 8 days off, completely tired and exaust, you have to force your family to move, live in desert, a country with full of rules and to go out you spend double, in the end of the day after 3 years you end depresive, missing the good moments of your life and you only saved 1000 or 2000 dollars maximum per month.

A lot of pilot from middle east are moving to norwegian, so please, before talk bad about norwegian, lead by example and tell me what is the right company. Because nothing is perfect, every company has good and bad things just go for the one who fit more to your needs.

flydog
27th Aug 2018, 20:38
Does anyone know if you still have to apply through OSM for a Captain or relief Captain job in FLL or is there someone actually at Norwegian hiring directly now?

captain8
28th Aug 2018, 02:33
A lot of pilot from middle east are moving to norwegian, so please, before talk bad about norwegian

Doesn't really say a lot about Norwegian being better, many pilots are leaving NLH to go to Virgin Atlantic, Jet2 and the like.
Its a pilot merry go round, fundamentally because its much of a muchness regards terms and conditions, lifestyles.

Many who work in the UK are happy to earn GBP 120000 for say J2 , but then pay GBP 46000 out of that a year income and N.I tax. Nasty.

I work out in the far east and tax is a flat 15%. On a salary of GBP300000 plus /year. Its a personal choice. I like not having to worry about the cost
my kids university fees or booking a five star resort with business class travel for all the family.

I looked at NLH for my post retirement, but the prospect of depositing Euro 30-40000 into their bank account (yep they still want this), in order to work for them seemed abhorrent.

Meester proach
28th Aug 2018, 09:02
NUK is a vast improvement if you live in UK or near gatwick .

no longer do you fly W patterns through Europe , everything cones back through gatwick so back to back trips include rest days and thus extra time at home . Not so good for commuters of course .

Luke258
28th Aug 2018, 09:17
Doesn't really say a lot about Norwegian being better, many pilots are leaving NLH to go to Virgin Atlantic, Jet2 and the like.
Its a pilot merry go round, fundamentally because its much of a muchness regards terms and conditions, lifestyles.

Many who work in the UK are happy to earn GBP 120000 for say J2 , but then pay GBP 46000 out of that a year income and N.I tax. Nasty.

I work out in the far east and tax is a flat 15%. On a salary of GBP300000 plus /year. Its a personal choice. I like not having to worry about the cost
my kids university fees or booking a five star resort with business class travel for all the family.

I looked at NLH for my post retirement, but the prospect of depositing Euro 30-40000 into their bank account (yep they still want this), in order to work for them seemed abhorrent.
You know that you can also give them a bank guarantee. You only pay the interest then, which should be around 1000-2000€.

SSDK
28th Aug 2018, 09:28

I'm not in NLH, but I know plenty of people who just gave a bank guarantee in the past and not 30-40K into any account? Besides from the information I have, it will soon be a 3 year bond like in so many other companies. It's incredible how much misinformation we have in circulation out there. Last time I was in the US I spoke to an american pilot who was convinced we had thai crew flying our aircraft! Fake news are alive and well...

With regards to people leaving NLH for virgin, Jet2 etc. Absolutely true. But just as many are leaving from Jet2 etc. to come to Norwegian. I even know people who have left and then come back again. Strange market at the moment. It seems like many are rotating jobs to get closer to home at the moment, since the salaries are just about the same in many non-legacy airlines.

Mr Angry from Purley
28th Aug 2018, 15:54
NUK is a vast improvement if you live in UK or near gatwick .

no longer do you fly W patterns through Europe , everything cones back through gatwick so back to back trips include rest days and thus extra time at home . Not so good for commuters of course .
A lot of Pilots who commuted at other airlines have joined NUK thinking that the commuting will get easier on a LH roster. Problem is when you factor in commute and the dreaded S word (standby) the nice shinny 787 soon wears off and they look for the next better commuting offer.

Luke258
28th Aug 2018, 16:35
They have the option of moving to another base where commuting is easier. No?
Exactly. And so far I heard most of the people got their preferred base.

Meester proach
29th Aug 2018, 06:13
NUK is all about Gatwick , therefore the obvious thing is to get local pilots. But the bank guarantee for the bond is almost impossible with a UK bank. Therefore you have to find another way .

highfive
31st Aug 2018, 04:51
. But the bank guarantee for the bond is almost impossible with a UK bank. Therefore you have to find another way .

Yep, re mortgage the maisonette, sell the porsche or just dont have kids. Sad really that pilots will move heaven and earth to get themselves into , potentially, more debt . For what? I cant think of another industry that has as many wannabes falling overthemselves, to be beholden to their employers.
Are we professionals, or has the stokholm syndrome taking its toll?

Meester proach
1st Sep 2018, 04:20
It’s always been the same. But don’t think it’s unique to aviation , the number of unpaid “ interns “ in other fields is a massive issue and they are falling over each other to work for nothing.

these are not “ wannabes “ either, it’s not ab initio. There was a lot of people looking to escape Ryanair and this was a way out and into something less draconian

Smooth Airperator
1st Sep 2018, 06:00
I recently joined and managed to get a loan quite easily despite a massive mortgage and some money on cards. I escaped from a shi**y airline that was well on its way to ruining my health.

It's a short term sacrifice guys. Not ideal but in the end we're talking about 3k worth of interest to get another valuable type on your license. 3k to make yourself more marketable and employable and in many cases still cheaper than some people's smoking and boozing habits.

Fast forward 3 years you have your money back. Let's not kid ourselves, the number of non TR jobs in Europe for FOs are limited. We're I want to live and be based it's only BA that even offers such a thing.

I get what works for some doesn't work for others but you have to respect that some people's choices are governed by what they view as long term gains.

All the best

dboy
2nd Sep 2018, 11:12
Does Norwegian only have the Dreamliner in CDG or is there also the 737 being based overthere?? I tried to find the answer but i can not find it.Tx

Solenoid
2nd Sep 2018, 11:24
Does Norwegian only have the Dreamliner in CDG or is there also the 737 being based overthere?? I tried to find the answer but i can not find it.Tx

No 737 based in Paris

Daddy Fantastic
3rd Sep 2018, 19:22
Desperate for pilots to join in KFLL I have been told

Gulf Julliet Papa
3rd Sep 2018, 23:40
Maybe fact check that. The operation doesn’t require any pilots in FLL, not sure how that would mean that they are desperate for guys in FLL

viking767
4th Sep 2018, 00:44
Maybe fact check that. The operation doesn’t require any pilots in FLL, not sure how that would mean that they are desperate for guys in FLL
So do they have FLL based pilots or not?

Gulf Julliet Papa
4th Sep 2018, 06:28
Yes they do. My point is that flights to/from FLL can be as easily operated by pilots from other bases as they have done for years. So the notion that they are desperate for pilots in one particular crew base can’t be correct

Daddy Fantastic
4th Sep 2018, 08:39
Yes they do. My point is that flights to/from FLL can be as easily operated by pilots from other bases as they have done for years. So the notion that they are desperate for pilots in one particular crew base can’t be correct

Well according to the FLL based pilot I spoke to, they do need pilots there. Dont shoot the messenger...

flareflyer
5th Sep 2018, 07:53
It seems that they will drop the 40k euros deposit.
a friend of mine has had a course offer for December 10 and it clearly states no money upfront
that is a great news

Daddy Fantastic
5th Sep 2018, 08:02
It seems that they will drop the 40k euros deposit.
a friend of mine has had a course offer for December 10 and it clearly states no money upfront
that is a great news

Is he with OSM or Rishworth aviation? Where has he been told he will be based?

flareflyer
5th Sep 2018, 15:45
Available bases offered were FCO BCN and LGW.
so both OSM and Rishworth

dcoded
6th Sep 2018, 07:23
After being in contact with OSM, I can confirm that I received similar information.
The cash up front bond has been dropped.

That is great news indeed!

fly4more
6th Sep 2018, 12:12
Apparently the salary is to be reduced to offset the zero bond upfront requirements. Anyone else confirm this?
Allegedly, it kicks in once you have started your contract, and is buried deep in the small print.

lansen
6th Sep 2018, 22:35
OSM have stopped taking the bond for courses for a while (I know someone who joined several months ago and didn't pay). It's Rishworth/Global Crew which have not changed.

The Bond has been been changed to sort of a "promise" which of course is on paper with your signature on it. It has the same T&Cs as the former bonding and reduces at the same pace, but there is no money or bank guarantee needed upfront. This is the case for all bases except London.
Paris and Rome, though NAR, are handled via Global Crew, just as LGW. Still the same promise-bonding is at place there nowadays.
So if you don't feel like giving them money upfront or are to lazy to look for a bank that is willing to give you a aval/bank guarantee. Then don't go to Gatwick.

bringbackthe80s
7th Sep 2018, 05:42
So if you don't feel like giving them money upfront or are to lazy to look for a bank that is willing to give you a aval/bank guarantee. Then don't go to Gatwick.

And why exactly should any professional experienced pilot should be feeling like giving them money?

Meester proach
7th Sep 2018, 07:12
To get out of Ryanair / the Middle East ....

its not a case of being “ too lazy “, a lot of banks are not interested once you say the word aviation .

Daddy Fantastic
7th Sep 2018, 07:15
And why exactly should any professional experienced pilot should be feeling like giving them money?

Very true... Who pays to work..crazy!!!

lansen
7th Sep 2018, 13:14
Well, it's a bond. You will get every single € back if you chose to stay for at least three years. And this is only the case if you come without a 787 or 777 rating. In case you come with an active 777 rating, you won't have a bond at all.
Same case for more or less any low cost carrier in Europe. But I guess bringbackthe80s and Daddy Fantastic are well set up with legacy contracts, so why even try to shoot the messenger?

annakm
7th Sep 2018, 17:55
Where IS Direct Bondi these days? He was always a font of knowledge and full
of opinion on anything about Norwegian.

Meester proach
8th Sep 2018, 15:38
I don’t understand this “ don’t pay to fly “ cr@p. Everybody pays to fly at some point don’t they ?

especially don’t get it from the stateside “holier than thou posse” , when their regional pilots start their career on 2 cents a sector , living in a shopping trolley in Walmart ......that’s just as bad as pay to fly.

A3301FD
10th Sep 2018, 12:36
Most of the Stateside lot in the early to mid nineties were all rushing from Part 141 schools to Flight Safety Int’l to “buy” their job at a regional airline...but I guess because they are Americans that was okay.

lansen
11th Sep 2018, 11:17
Where IS Direct Bondi these days? He was always a font of knowledge and full
of opinion on anything about Norwegian.

I guess he figured that people eventually can find the O'Leary bull**** themselves, without him having to point at it. :8

Smooth Airperator
23rd Sep 2018, 16:12
It's official, those on the Global Crew (Rishworth) contract are about to get their training bond refunded or bank guarantee released. No reduced salary either. You will still sign to accept that in the event you leave within 3 years of joining, you will repay training costs in full, but there is no longer an upfront payment required.

flyboy146
24th Sep 2018, 08:05
They are represented by BALPA in the UK with OSM.

iburnthings
24th Sep 2018, 14:06
Can anybody shed any light on what the rosters like at LGW as an FO? I’ve seen the ones from a year or two ago and wondering if it’s changed?

How much time away on trips? Can you still expect up to two weeks with ‘W’ pattern rotations?

Meester proach
24th Sep 2018, 21:03
Right, so, at present, Norwegian UK, only flies long haul out of LGW. So your version of a W pattern, involves 2 rotations with 1 or 2 rest days in the middle at Gatwick. Very nice for those who live near Gatwick.

FMC OVERHEAT
29th Sep 2018, 05:38
Guys, anyone has an interview in Amsterdam or Utrecht next month?

a-ricky-town
20th Oct 2018, 09:39
Hi,

Does Norwegian recruit Airbus 320 rated pilots for the 787? I would like to try long haul staying in Europe as I am quite fed up with the 4 sector short haul days.

Thanks

Smooth Airperator
20th Oct 2018, 13:12
Hi Ricky

Yes they do. They took on a lot of ex Monarch pilots in late 2017 early 2018. On every course of 14-16 there's always 5 or 6 who have no experience on Boeing but non Boeing pilots are waiting longer for a course start date (I waited one year).

Regards

a-ricky-town
20th Oct 2018, 15:50
Many thanks Smooth Airperator! I will give it a try then :)

Atomo
24th Oct 2018, 06:40
I have my interview in November for Relief Cpt. Anyone can tell me what to expect during the interview ? Technical questions ? Or just HR ?

Thanks for your time and your help

Smooth Airperator
24th Oct 2018, 09:25
Hi, well done. According to the training manager you will have done a lot of the hard work already to get to the interview. The selection process, aptitude test and chat with the man from Rishworth is a big part of it. Over 60% pass the interview/sim check. This is from a year ago...

Arrive in the morning for meet and greet, then standard company intro, recruitment team intro. Then a mini group exercise in the same room. "How many footballs can we fit into this room?"
After that, you are split into your groups. The first group sits around in meeting area until called for interviews, whilst the other group does the sim check. After lunch, you then swap over.
Interview, usually 2 senior pilots. No tech questions, couple of 'give me an example of when you had to do this?' style questions. Nothing tricky, more to get to know you and if you are likable
Sim ride, for me was 737Max, departure from JFK 31L, into downwind and then some problem develops (fight in the cabin, suspected bomb etc). Do the standard CRM thing and land. Then reposition to takeoff again, this time some kind of engine problem and land.

I completely screwed up the handling part. My first Boeing and first 'flight yoke' jet aircraft and even though I was mentally prepared for it, it didn't work out so well. There was a sim fault on the day too (some kind of visual lag but this was from a year ago). My partner was an experienced Boeing 777 pilot and was obviously better in this regard. However, I got in and he didn't. The reason? Probably the level of CRM displayed, even though I couldn't fly the damn thing. In that is a lesson for you maybe?

Good luck

Smooth Airperator
24th Oct 2018, 10:40
Similar experience to Joe, I wasn't going to say it but here goes... The ex-Alitalia guy lacked basic manners, let alone CRM skills.

Atomo
24th Oct 2018, 10:59
Thanks a lot for the shared experience Smooth Airperator (https://www.pprune.org/members/306260-smooth-airperator) and Joe le Taxi (https://www.pprune.org/members/35952-joe-le-taxi). Really appreciated and helpful. Let's go to work now !

rotordisk
30th Oct 2018, 00:23
Hi all, I have a few questions.. Thanks for helping me out if you could :)

Are the example rosters realistic? They gave as an example a 5-5 roster and an 8-4 rosters and it honestly looked pretty good.
Is there still a lot of W trips?
Is it easy to get 80% part time ?
How likely is it to get requested annual leave period?
Is it allowed to commute on your own if you have a flight out of another base? For example if you are LGW based with a flight out of CDG, can you go to CDG on your own transport?

What about crew life? Is there a good atmosphere, do you go out to dinner or activities together?

Thanks

lansen
30th Oct 2018, 12:16
Hi all, I have a few questions.. Thanks for helping me out if you could :)

Are the example rosters realistic? They gave as an example a 5-5 roster and an 8-4 rosters and it honestly looked pretty good.
Is there still a lot of W trips?
Is it easy to get 80% part time ?
How likely is it to get requested annual leave period?
Is it allowed to commute on your own if you have a flight out of another base? For example if you are LGW based with a flight out of CDG, can you go to CDG on your own transport?

What about crew life? Is there a good atmosphere, do you go out to dinner or activities together?

Thanks

1.Yes they are. Til todays date, I have gotten all of my requested OFF days. Nicest part: It's possible to connect all of your 10 guaranteed OFF days to your vacation.

2. It's either point to point or W. You can put in a request and it's likely you'll get what you want.

3. No Idea

4. It completely depends on what period you are bidding for. First year in the company, bidding for easter/midsummer/christmas/new years eve? Not so likely. The system works with points (points are bad). You start of with your employee number in points and each year these points decrease/increase, depending on what you are bidding for (some day in October = low points, Christmas = max points). The requested vacation is then given to those guys/gals with the least amount of points.

5. Yes. Feels like the whole company is commuting. Coming to the crewroom in Paris before the flight, it's not unlikely you'll have people sitting there for hours already before a flight, since they were commuting from far away.

6. Crew life is disappointing. Or well, for me who's coming from a european charter company, crew life is basically inexistent. The cabin crew pisses off to their rooms on layovers and you'll see them again for checkin, if it's the same cabin crew on the way back. Feels like the flight deck sticks to themselves and cabin sticks to themselves.

Hopefully that helped :ok:

Mr Angry from Purley
30th Oct 2018, 15:05
1.Yes they are. Til todays date, I have gotten all of my requested OFF days. Nicest part: It's possible to connect all of your 10 guaranteed OFF days to your vacation.

2. It's either point to point or W. You can put in a request and it's likely you'll get what you want.

3. No Idea

4. It completely depends on what period you are bidding for. First year in the company, bidding for easter/midsummer/christmas/new years eve? Not so likely. The system works with points (points are bad). You start of with your employee number in points and each year these points decrease/increase, depending on what you are bidding for (some day in October = low points, Christmas = max points). The requested vacation is then given to those guys/gals with the least amount of points.

5. Yes. Feels like the whole company is commuting. Coming to the crewroom in Paris before the flight, it's not unlikely you'll have people sitting there for hours already before a flight, since they were commuting from far away.

6. Crew life is disappointing. Or well, for me who's coming from a european charter company, crew life is basically inexistent. The cabin crew pisses off to their rooms on layovers and you'll see them again for checkin, if it's the same cabin crew on the way back. Feels like the flight deck sticks to themselves and cabin sticks to themselves.

Interesting comment on para 5. Wonder what the DFO and Safety Manager thinks to that ref Crew Members Responsibilities and the F word

rotordisk
30th Oct 2018, 15:47

Thanks for taking your time to answer the questions. I did the application and tests yesterday, so let's wait it out for now.

Meester proach
30th Oct 2018, 18:08
If you are LGW based, chances are you’ll be NUK. NUK only fly from LGW at present.

if you are NAS you can be sent to any NAS base to fly,

LGW crews go out from time to time, but this isn’t British airways 5 night Barbados in 1970, we normally do one night stops, so mostly people are too knackered .

rotordisk
1st Nov 2018, 18:41
How long is the wait for feedback after completing the online tests?
And did you guys add any references? Do they require this?

Thx

windmolen
2nd Nov 2018, 08:15
Yes same question here... I applied online about 2 weeks ago. No answer yet...

blafsen
2nd Nov 2018, 11:34
I did the online tests on the 21st of July and got the invite to attend a screening on the 3rd of August (737 + 787 application).

a-ricky-town
2nd Nov 2018, 13:40
Same question regarding the tests. I just finished 5 minutes ago and I was thinking I would receive any notification by email saying that they had correctly received the results.

Either it is not meant to be acknowledged or they are already preparing my PFO letter :}

I already included the references, shows I have nothing to hide.

lansen
2nd Nov 2018, 16:50
Recruitment for RCA and CPT is cancelled. Only FO applications are taken into consideration. That's from the last Chief Pilot Info that came out yesterday.
So I guess the ones being invited to RCA/CPT assessment now are either the last batch or the company will invite you to an assessment but in the end only give you the option to start as an FO.

Smooth Airperator
3rd Nov 2018, 08:25
Yes. The above is fresh news and I can understand why.

babemagnet
3rd Nov 2018, 08:30
Why can you understand that?

Smooth Airperator
3rd Nov 2018, 09:34
Same as everywhere I guess. Backlog of guys waiting and to help strengthen the application of SOP on the flight deck

Meester proach
3rd Nov 2018, 16:37
Probably got enough people to upgrade. Taking DECs brings it’s own issues.

Atomo
3rd Nov 2018, 21:03
Hope this « news » won’t biais my interview in Nov for RCA...

iburnthings
6th Nov 2018, 11:44
anyone going for an assessment in Oslo this week? Or on Thurs 8th Nov?

jadrolinija
16th Nov 2018, 05:58
Good morning guys!

Can anyone confirm average salary that is going around Norwegian network for 787 position? What average Net income can be expected for 1st year FO who is not married/no kids? (UK or other bases)

Also are there many commuters and how is airline handling roster for them? Any chance to request at least 7 days off in a row per month to have opportunity to visit family or they give you random roster and you can Hope to be lucky to get consecutive days off?

Thank you in advance!

T

Smooth Airperator
17th Nov 2018, 10:44
Money for UK FO is between 3,400 and 3,700 GBP take home pay. Thats with about 70hours flown.

jadrolinija
17th Nov 2018, 14:08
Money for UK FO is between 3,800 and 4,000 GBP take home pay. Thats with about 65 hours flown. Not the best but for the amount of work done is about OK.

Thank you very much for reply! Regarding roster is it possible to ask Planning to give some consecutive days off or they have fixed roster options like Wizz or Ryanair have so we can choose which option we prefer?

Piscator
19th Nov 2018, 11:16
Recruitment for RCA and CPT is cancelled. Only FO applications are taken into consideration. That's from the last Chief Pilot Info that came out yesterday.
So I guess the ones being invited to RCA/CPT assessment now are either the last batch or the company will invite you to an assessment but in the end only give you the option to start as an FO.

Rishworth is still recruiting RCA and CPT.:ooh:
Strange.....

A321drvr
23rd Nov 2018, 11:39
Hi,

First of all I'd like to thank those who contributed to this thread, very informative indeed, however i would like to ask a few questions.

Flying North Atlantic as a captain on the 320 would certainly qualify me to apply however is there anyone here who went from the bus to the 787 as DEC? How was it? What is your experience?

Additionally to the above due to the huge leap i wouldn't mind at all to take a relief capt position initially. How long are the RCAs tend to stuck in that position? Are the upgrades based solely on merit or is there a seniority aspect to it as well?

Finally on the money subject: moving to the UK i guess that i can expect to pay taxes and social on the basic (ppjn numbers are correct, i presume), but nothing on the allowances, right? Online tax calculator should do the job right (one kid, missus staying at home)?

Thanks in advance for the replies. Keep up this good thread going ladies and gents.

Regards

Meester proach
23rd Nov 2018, 17:48
Merit and seniority. You must have both.

About 2 years from joining to promotion. I think 3/4 of deliveries are done now , so it seems to have slowed.
as they promote both those without command time and those with, the process is quite involved and includes a training package and interviews/ assessments prior to the sim.

airbus doesn’t seem a hindrance, quite a few A380 captains from emirates have come .

A321drvr
23rd Nov 2018, 18:06
Merit and seniority. You must have both.

About 2 years from joining to promotion. I think 3/4 of deliveries are done now , so it seems to have slowed.
as they promote both those without command time and those with, the process is quite involved and includes a training package and interviews/ assessments prior to the sim.

airbus doesn’t seem a hindrance, quite a few A380 captains from emirates have come .

Excellent info. Thank you.

iburnthings
29th Nov 2018, 13:16
any news on course dates? anyone else in hold pool?

FlyingH1gh
29th Nov 2018, 13:32
I know there is a 78 course end of Jan. I don't know of any courses after that though....

alosaurus
30th Nov 2018, 08:15
Only F/O recruitment for the foreseeable. Deliveries slowed and upgrading RCAs / FOs internally.

Piscator
7th Dec 2018, 11:08
Rishworth is still recruiting RCA and CPT.:ooh:
Strange.....

I see they've changed the website. No more hiring of FO’s either if I understand correctly