PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen-2

Pages : 1 [2]

jensdad
14th Oct 2018, 15:22
Yes, indeed they did.
I can even remember the flight number: DA168. The first leg was either 161 or 167 :)

Jamesair
14th Oct 2018, 15:36
There also used to be GLA - NCL - AMS by Brit Cal.

Flightrider
14th Oct 2018, 17:00
BA1310/1311 and 1312/1313 are both selling for next summer

Let's agree to revisit this in a few weeks' time?

highwideandugly
14th Oct 2018, 20:06
And Edinburgh Newcastle Copenhagen with BCAL bac111-500 s !

Richard Taylor
3rd Nov 2018, 10:32
Couple of recent stories:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-46071450
Is that going to be based at ABZ or ARI somewhere?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-46069651
Interesting article, although not surprising.

Jim__
8th Nov 2018, 10:18
Ryanair to start a service to Bydgoszcz, according to Alastair Dalton in the Scotsman today. No details yet of frequency.

BAladdy
8th Nov 2018, 14:41
BA1310/1311 and 1312/1313 are both selling for next summer

BA have over the last couple of weeks made a number of changes to the schedule. Flights from ABZ-LHR now showing as operating 48 x weekly next summer. That is the same frequency as S18.

BA will operate:

8 flights - Mon/Fri
7 flights - Tue/Wed/Thu/Sun
4 flights - Sat

Flightrider
8th Nov 2018, 16:03
1310/1311 will be gone and the 1312/1313 will operate on Saturdays only unlike every day as today. Frequency is dropping by two per day for S19.

Richard Taylor
8th Nov 2018, 16:55
How are the pax numbers on the BA LHR these days? Or is it the decreased yields impacting freq?

New airport MD:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-46097095

oapilot
9th Nov 2018, 08:21
Flybe/Eastern have announced new service Newcastle to London City. Just looked at booking next Jan for ABZ to City and the flight times jumped from 1:40 to 2:30 hours. So I’m guessing the rumours that the City flights going via Newcastle might be true.
Flybe website shows flight as non stop still but suppose that just means you don’t change aircraft.
Think I’ll be going via LHR in future. It’s cheaper and even with the extra commute in London, just as quick.

fjencl
9th Nov 2018, 15:12
Is it the jetstream 41 they use for this service ?????

awwdabaaby
9th Nov 2018, 15:58
Will be Saab 2000

oapilot
9th Nov 2018, 22:06
Flybe site now shows 2:20 mins for ABZ - LCY via Newcastle.

VickersVicount
10th Nov 2018, 21:45
Flybe site now shows 2:20 mins for ABZ - LCY via Newcastle.
I wouldnt thank you for that...

Richard Taylor
11th Nov 2018, 06:34
Bye bye LCY I would say.....

Richard Taylor
14th Nov 2018, 06:26
https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-and-fuel-costs-force-airline-flybe-to-put-itself-up-for-sale-11553619

Do they make money out of ABZ on any of their routes? I assume they do on MAN, not sure on the others.

Would be a huge blow to lose the Flybe routes, what with Eastern also struggling somewhat & cutting back at ABZ.

Who would want to operate them?

Oil is dropping again...……………………………….

nighthawk117
14th Nov 2018, 08:48
https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-and-fuel-costs-force-airline-flybe-to-put-itself-up-for-sale-11553619

Do they make money out of ABZ on any of their routes? I assume they do on MAN, not sure on the others.

Would be a huge blow to lose the Flybe routes, what with Eastern also struggling somewhat & cutting back at ABZ.

Who would want to operate them?

Oil is dropping again...……………………………….

you would imagine Aberdeen would be one of their strongest markets. Due to its remote location, many UK cities are quite difficult to reach by rail, making air transport far more appealing.

liam4393
28th Nov 2018, 20:17
Is easyJet Gatwick another route which is ceasing? Does not appear bookable on the EZY website post 8 Feb 2019?

inOban
28th Nov 2018, 21:19
Seems so. But LTN goes daily ex sat from then

Richard Taylor
29th Nov 2018, 07:06
I got the heads up yesterday about this (thanks to them for the message). Another blow for ABZ. I can foresee a reduced LHR as the only main link to London, as I cannot see a LCY via NCL being viable for ABZ frankly. I can see further reductions generally. I do wonder now whether there should be a refocus of what kind of routes the airport wants. If businesses don't want to fly the business routes they claim they need, and the catchment area continues to shrink (which it is doing in the city) then what is left? Plus the likes of Flybe & Eastern aren't exactly flourishing, are they? I don't see any way presently out of their tailspin. Time for the owners to sell off?

jjayjackson
29th Nov 2018, 12:45
That Easyjeyt to Gatwick, was great for onward travel.

xraydice
29th Nov 2018, 13:00
Interesting , I have booked a few months back ABZ - LGW for 1/3/19 and return 17/3/19 all confirmed ,Passenger & Flight details 1 of 2Aberdeen to London Gatwick (North Terminal)EZY872http://www.easyjet.com/ejcms/cache/medialibrary/Images/Confirmation%20email/flightdetailsplane-v1Departs:Fri 01 Mar 08:30Arrives:Fri 01 Mar 10:15Bag drop opens:Fri 01 Mar 06:30Bag drop closes:Fri 01 Mar 07:50Check in closes 40 mins before departure
Booking made 26/4/18
update , contact from EZY my bookings are all vaild , noseats available , all sold upto 19/3 so they say.

inOban
29th Nov 2018, 13:36
If you look on the Easyjet website and look at the schedule, there are no flights after Feb 8.

xraydice
29th Nov 2018, 13:44
If you look on the Easyjet website and look at the schedule, there are no flights after Feb 8.

Yes I saw that , but seats were available up to 19/3/19 when I booked and paid, maybe a plan B maybe in order .

update , contact from EZY my bookings are all vaild , noseats available , all sold upto 19/3 so they say.

toon22
29th Nov 2018, 16:40
Mmmmmm.... that doesn’t add up. I’d be looking at Plan B if I were you.

Richard Taylor
29th Nov 2018, 16:54
The poster that messaged me yesterday with the news was different from the poster that broke the news today on the LGW thread. No smoke without fire I'd say.

liam4393
29th Nov 2018, 19:00
I spotted this last night when attempting to book a flight to Gatwick in March asa flight for an onward connection.

Tweeted easyJet today, and got this reply "we offer certain routes for specific seasons, Liam and our Aberdeen to Gatwick route flights will be stopping after Winter. However, you may be able to find alternative routes on our route map."

Really disappointing - a real loss to AIA - wonder have hard the management tried to hold on to this route! Obviously not hard enough.

Richard Taylor
29th Nov 2018, 19:27
I spotted this last night when attempting to book a flight to Gatwick in March asa flight for an onward connection.

Tweeted easyJet today, and got this reply "we offer certain routes for specific seasons, Liam and our Aberdeen to Gatwick route flights will be stopping after Winter. However, you may be able to find alternative routes on our route map."

Really disappointing - a real loss to AIA - wonder have hard the management tried to hold on to this route! Obviously not hard enough.

Umm.... like Luton :O

AIA have some serious thinking to do, but if the city & demand to fly is in decline, and our only industry is in long term decline without any obvious diversification so far, then not sure how much they can do. Maybe focus away from business routes & into other sectors (but what?).

Main industry in decline > people made redundant > less demand to fly > less routes & freq offered > less demand to fly......

CaptainDoony
29th Nov 2018, 19:54
And with BA rumoured to be chopping away at LHR to just 5-6 daily next summer, the ABZ-LON market could be struggling to reach 500k passengers in 2019. A staggering reduction given as recently as 2014 when it was over a million per year.

I can’t see the Eastern LCY service limping on much longer either to be honest.

mullac30
29th Nov 2018, 20:08
Strange to think that in 2019 it's quite likely that traffic on INV-LON will overtake ABZ-LON. I don't know if that speaks more for INV's successes or ABZ's failures?

mwm991
29th Nov 2018, 20:59
AGS are a mickey mouse organisation.

Richard Taylor
30th Nov 2018, 05:59
Strange to think that in 2019 it's quite likely that traffic on INV-LON will overtake ABZ-LON. I don't know if that speaks more for INV's successes or ABZ's failures?

Both. Put it this way, the city is finished. If I had the money, I would move away. We can't even get our bypass open. Aberdeen's future is full of... empty shops, houses & hotels. The recent proposal for a cable car from the south end of the beach to the Castlegate says it all.... 'and on your left as your cable car sways uncontrollably in the wind is the red light district...' :ugh:

xraydice
30th Nov 2018, 06:20
Both. Put it this way, the city is finished. If I had the money, I would move away. We can't even get our bypass open. Aberdeen's future is full of... empty shops, houses & hotels. The recent proposal for a cable car from the south end of the beach to the Castlegate says it all.... 'and on your left as your cable car sways uncontrollably in the wind is the red light district...' :ugh:

and that folks sums up Aberdeen, and made me laugh because its so true.

xraydice
30th Nov 2018, 07:40
Just you let you know , I spoke again to customer services this morning who have now conceded that the route ends 8/2/19 , lack of internal communication or porkies ?
I can change my booking once I get the official notification, then I suppose it'll be a free for all !
Plan B it is then, but not from the Dyce international aerodrome

c52
30th Nov 2018, 11:01
LGW-ABZ is my most frequent route. EZY have had one-two flights per day and the aircraft are usually full or almost full. That's maybe 2000 people per week who'll be making alternate arrangements or not bothering. Are there that many empty seats on other flights from the London area?

ATIS31
30th Nov 2018, 16:47
I find it hard to believe that ABZ can't Sustain a Gatwick Route. Theres no doubt the increase in flights from INV to LHR by BA will have an effect on ABZ numbers but I doubt INV passenger numbers will pass ABZ numbers

mullac30
30th Nov 2018, 17:00
I find it hard to believe that ABZ can't Sustain a Gatwick Route. Theres no doubt the increase in flights from INV to LHR by BA will have an effect on ABZ numbers but I doubt INV passenger numbers will pass ABZ numbers
Maybe not overall but it seems quite certain to happen on LON routes if ABZ can't reach 500k. On 2019 peaks, INV will have 3 daily to LHR, 3 daily to LGW, 2 daily to LTN. If you multiply the 2017 INV-LHR figures by 2.3 (the relative 2017-19 capacity increase), you get around 180k. Add 270k and 140k for LGW and LTN, you will get around 590K pax on INV-LON. This could very well surpass ABZ-LON.

Richard Taylor
30th Nov 2018, 17:09
Bring back Dan-Air... or B-Cal! :}

Fact is Aberdeen with its one-horse industry is out of favour with airlines, who now struggle to break even on the scheduled business routes. Hence the loss of freqs on some & complete loss of the route on others.

Maybe the answer is a new local start-up using suitable-sized equipment (talking air taxi sized!)... any local entrepreneur out there with a few tens of millions to lose a million? If you can't even fill a J41 then things are grim.

4m pax by 2030 seems a long way away - and I don't think was ever realistic given the volatility of our only main industry.

ATIS31
30th Nov 2018, 20:36
Maybe not overall but it seems quite certain to happen on LON routes if ABZ can't reach 500k. On 2019 peaks, INV will have 3 daily to LHR, 3 daily to LGW, 2 daily to LTN. If you multiply the 2017 INV-LHR figures by 2.3 (the relative 2017-19 capacity increase), you get around 180k. Add 270k and 140k for LGW and LTN, you will get around 590K pax on INV-LON. This could very well surpass ABZ-LON.

Think it only three times a day to INV on Saturdays and Sundays

LesPretend
30th Nov 2018, 21:31
I’m not sure how much of this can be laid at the door of AIA, but they were quick to take the oil dollar back in the boom time and didn’t really invest much in the drome until it started falling apart a few years back.

For me if I’ve got to go out East, I would rather jump on a train to EDI and go out via Turkish or the long haulers and unless LH come back I’ve got no intention of going via LHR and all the pullaver that involves. I know many of my colleagues prefer this route too.

Nothing much is really in AIAs favour at the moment, APD, ageing population, a drastic decline in the average wage and those whose lives haven’t been affected by the downturn seem to be choosing to holiday in Dubai or the US as it’s often cheaper for a family of 4 than the offering from TUI etc direct from ABZ. The amount of NE travellers on EK flights out of GLA is apparently staggeringly high.

With Eastern on a seemingly downward spiral as far a schedules are concerned, and this latest news it’s no wonder AIA were announcing next summers (same as this years) RYR schedules as if it were something to celebrate.

mullac30
30th Nov 2018, 23:45
Think it only three times a day to INV on Saturdays and Sundays
Sorry I mean't peak days, hence me using a rate of 2.3, rather than 3.

Asturias56
1st Dec 2018, 11:43
Bit hard blaming AIA for the fact the region's prosperity is based on one, volatile, industry.

Logically ABZ has been provided with good air links because of the oil industry - once you slow/stop that it's back to a medium size city without a major business attraction.

It has a limited hinterland, reasonable road and rail links and not well known as a tourist destination.

This is not a recipe for vast investment or lots of flights

virginblue
4th Dec 2018, 02:21
Why would easyjet drop LGW but keep LTN? I would have expected it the other way round. Or is there a reason why LTN, despite much less onward connection opportunities, is the bigger fish to fry for easyjet?

Richard Taylor
4th Dec 2018, 06:19
Quite simply, better opportunities for EZY elsewhere out of LGW.

CaptainDoony
11th Dec 2018, 14:25
BA reductions to Summer 19 have filtered through, the middle of the day rotations have been binned.

At least its not the peak time rotations as previously speculated that have gone.

Will be

7x daily Mon & Fri (BA1311)
6x daily Tue-Thu (BA1311, BA1309)
5x daily Sun (BA1311, BA 1313)
4x daily Sat (Unchanged)

Similar scale cuts to NCL & MAN reported.

Flightrider
11th Dec 2018, 15:34
The plan has been changed to add the 1311 back in. Good (or less bad) news for ABZ. I wonder if easyJet's LGW withdrawal has played any part in that decision?

alwayslookingup
14th Dec 2018, 17:45
Bit hard blaming AIA for the fact the region's prosperity is based on one, volatile, industry.

Logically ABZ has been provided with good air links because of the oil industry - once you slow/stop that it's back to a medium size city without a major business attraction.

It has a limited hinterland, reasonable road and rail links and not well known as a tourist destination.

This is not a recipe for vast investment or lots of flights

I disagree. With the pressure on Scotland's other main tourist destinations increasing year on year, Aberdeen is positioning itself pretty well to take advantage of increasing Scottish tourism. We have easy access to plenty of golf courses, castles and distilleries, as well as world renowned Royal Deeside and the Cairgorms. The latter, as well as other surrounding countryside, provide a multitude of extreme sports opportunities, for local residents as well as tourists. The AWPR is pretty much open now. New exhibition & conference centre (TECA, The Event Centre Aberdeen) is on target for July 2019 opening, as is new cruise liner harbour at Nigg Bay. New football stadium construction has started at Westhill, Music Hall refurb is complete and open, Art Gallery work in progress. Marischal Square gradually leasing space. Dualling of rail line Aberdeen to Inverurie is 50% complete (Aberdeen to Dyce, Dyce to Inverurie to be done next year). Planning consent granted for expansion of Union Square, which will in effect become the centre of town retail and entertainment. Counteswells new town development in progress, as is Chapleton of Elsick. So, I wouldn't write us off just yet. Only one fly in the ointment as far as I can see, and that's the state of the Eastern end of Union Street. Easy solution to that, and as plain as the nose on their faces, is for Council to pedestrainise it, Bridge Street to Market Street or even Castle Street. Having travelled the AWPR a couple of times this week I am confident of a viable future for the City long after its main sustaining industry is in decline.

EGPO
14th Dec 2018, 18:00
Bring back Dan-Air... or B-Cal! :}

Fact is Aberdeen with its one-horse industry is out of favour with airlines, who now struggle to break even on the scheduled business routes. Hence the loss of freqs on some & complete loss of the route on others.

Maybe the answer is a new local start-up using suitable-sized equipment (talking air taxi sized!)... any local entrepreneur out there with a few tens of millions to lose a million? If you can't even fill a J41 then things are grim.

4m pax by 2030 seems a long way away - and I don't think was ever realistic given the volatility of our only main industry.

Fair point there , with the Westminster Govt.
Bringing forward the ban on Internal combustion engines by 2030 , trains by a decade later, other than heating I can't help but wonder if those oil companies will stick around .
I imagine a fair chunk of their core business is fuel for British road traffic .
What becomes of the city then with an upgraded airport , Uber expensive new road .
You'd think they would be needing more aircraft not less to do the London route .
So what has caused this drop , are BA still serving the route to LHR? ( sorry I've not read the whole topic thread ).

cornishsimon
14th Dec 2018, 18:15
I see that flybe are now offering abz-lhr-nqy as a connecting option which makes nqy available daily

cs

inOban
14th Dec 2018, 19:12
The trouble with the replacement jobs is that they are all traditionally low paid.

Asturias56
15th Dec 2018, 12:30
I don't want to get into a slanging match with Always looking up but whilst it is true that "We have easy access to plenty of golf courses, castles and distilleries, as well as world renowned Royal Deeside and the Cairgorms." that's not how the rest of the UK, never mind the World - sees it. Looking at a map Aberdeen looks quite a ways from Cairngorm whereas Inverness looks much closer. then a lot of tourists want to do Edinburgh as well.

The other attractions aren't too much different from any other medium sized UK City - Dundee has a National (well,,, a branch of a National) Museum and ABZ? Not much TBH. Plus it's still an expensive place to stay or hire a car compared to other places in Scotland. It has no reputation as a foodie spot nor a clubbing center and I doubt you get many Hen parties heading there for the weekend.

It IS possible to turn a City round - Newcastle or Leeds anyone? - but it takes time. The best thing for Aberdeen would be to leverage the skills associated with the oil in things like business, IT and light engineering but I suspect that everyone takes the easy route when the oil price goes up and defaults back to working for the oil companies rather than looking for other business.......

LesPretend
17th Dec 2018, 20:05
Don’t think there is any doubt that the city itself is on the up, but that’s not driving demand for air travel here just yet. You only have to look at the lack of replacements on the Frankfurt route to see that.

Will be interesting to to see what effect the bypass has. The traffic situation in Dundee might drive the affluent eastern suburbs and Angus travellers up to Aberdeen. TBH it’s an attractive option if you take the car, but daft as it may sound driving north to travel south is always difficult to get people’s head round regardless of how attractive it is.

Problem will be the default action of greed surrounding anything to do with ABZ. Parking will go up, fares will go up. Years of cashing in is difficult to let go of.

Asturias56
18th Dec 2018, 13:59
Why would you drive from Dundee to ABZ and not GLA or EDI??

Is the bypass open over the river yet???

xraydice
18th Dec 2018, 17:07
Why would you drive from Dundee to ABZ and not GLA or EDI??

Is the bypass open over the river yet???
Not yet, but was promised by Christmas ( but which one ) latest is maybe the end of the year , maybe.

Richard Taylor
18th Dec 2018, 17:54
A few of my colleagues have been on the bypass & say it is excellent. However whether it tempts anyone up to the airport from Dundee direction I am rather more sceptical.

xraydice
20th Dec 2018, 13:36
An update on the AWPR missing link, transport minister reports not my Christmas ," Boots on the bridge " recon end of Jan2019 if lucky.
As an aside, flew out of Inverness yesterday to London, from my home 30 mins north of ABZ the trip to Dalcros was 25 mins longer than to ABZ , but the whole experience was worth it smooth, pleasant and friendly

5711N0205W
30th Dec 2018, 20:09
On the LCY now via NCL is there a requirement to de-plane in Newcastle or do you get to stay on board for the turnaround?

CabinCrewe
30th Dec 2018, 20:20
oh that would really be the death of it if you had to get off in that short turn around

5711N0205W
31st Dec 2018, 16:24
As it happens flybe are so much cheaper on the required dates than any other carrier that LHR T2 it is.

fjencl
3rd Jan 2019, 12:24
Aberdeen airport bosses in talks to replace London flight...

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/talks-to-replace-air-route/

Richard Taylor
3rd Jan 2019, 17:59
“While we do not have a replacement at this moment in time, we are talking with airlines to find a positive solution.”

Hmmmmmm……………………………. :rolleyes:

CabinCrewe
3rd Jan 2019, 18:18
Seems to be boom (and bust?) for Loganair so maybe they could squeeze yet another rotation out of an old Embraer?

Callum Johnstone
4th Jan 2019, 06:27
With EZY off the route perhaps the economics for a return of a BA flight to LGW look more attractive.

M-JCS
4th Jan 2019, 07:37
Seems to be boom (and bust?) for Loganair so maybe they could squeeze yet another rotation out of an old Embraer?

Except that LGW fees make use of a small(ish) aircraft economically unfeasible. Recall that's what originally caused Flybe to leave LGW.

Richard Taylor
11th Jan 2019, 06:26
With the news breaking re Flybe/Stobart & Virgin, any potential knock-on effects for their ABZ base, or routes - good or bad?

Mister Geezer
11th Jan 2019, 11:10
Well I personally can't see it as being bad for Aberdeen. It can only strengthen the longevity of keeping LHR going and reinforcing links to MAN. It remains to be seen just how hub centric the new business will be and hopefully not at the expense of still linking the regions.

I suspect airport management in the likes of CWL and DSA that are Embraer bases, will perhaps have more to give them concern about than their peers in ABZ, should a rethink result in the most capacity being focused on feeding the hubs.

BTW the Flybe brand will disappear and will become Connect Airways. The article in the link below repeatedly states that improving connectivity to Heathrow and Manchester will be paramount.

Business Traveller - Flybe brand to disappear as Virgin Atlantic and Stobart Group agree takeover (https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/01/11/flybe-brand-to-disappear-as-virgin-atlantic-and-stobart-group-agree-takeover/)

Jim__
15th Jan 2019, 08:46
KLM back up to 5 flights per day in May and June to Schipol, according to today's Evening Express.

An extra departure from ABZ at 12.40.

nighthawk117
15th Jan 2019, 14:33
BTW the Flybe brand will disappear and will become Connect Airways.

As per the article you linked to, it is to be called "Virgin Atlantic". Connect Airways is the legal business name, in the same way BA is owned by International Airlines Group.

CaptainDoony
15th Jan 2019, 18:54
KLM back up to 5 flights per day in May and June to Schipol, according to today's Evening Express.

An extra departure from ABZ at 12.40.

Also one of the daily 737-700 rotations being upgauged to a 737-800 so a bump in capacity there too

BAladdy
16th Jan 2019, 05:31
T3 on 7th January made the following changes to the schedule for there there flights to MME and HUY.

Monday to Thursday

HUY - 3 x daily direct frequency has been replaced with a 2 x daily direct service and a daily frequency via MME. J41 aircraft has been replaced with a ER4

MME - 3 x daily J41 service has been replaced with a 2 x daily J41 and daily ER4 service.

Friday

HUY - 2 x daily direct frequency has been replaced with a daily direct service and a daily frequency via MME. J41 aircraft has been replaced with a ER4

MME - 2 x daily J41 service has been replaced with a daily J41 and daily ER4 service.

Sunday

HUY - S2000 op service via MME has been replaced with a direct AT7 operated service. Aircraft ops ABZ-HUY-NWI-HUY-ABZ

MME - S2000 replaced with a J41.

Richard Taylor
17th Jan 2019, 06:32
https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/north-sea/190941/growing-oil-sector-demand-sees-increased-aberdeen-newcastle-flights/

Good news as far as it goes, but again a reliance on what happens on the swings & roundabouts of the oil sector.

5711N0205W
17th Jan 2019, 11:21
https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/north-sea/190941/growing-oil-sector-demand-sees-increased-aberdeen-newcastle-flights/

Good news as far as it goes, but again a reliance on what happens on the swings & roundabouts of the oil sector.

And that will keep happening, as the industry cycles things will go up and down, there is no real market of any size outside Oil & Gas in NE Scotland that will (as is often discussed) support multiple leisure destinations or bring in plane loads of business people.

Richard Taylor
31st Jan 2019, 06:52
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/mp-urges-airlines-to-back-investment-in-aberdeen-airport1/

Richard Taylor
31st Jan 2019, 07:05
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/s-92s-being-worked-intensively-in-north-sea/

I'm old enough to remember when I first started my interest in the goings on at Dyce in the early 80s the Super Pumas/Tigers taking over from the S61N as the 'workhorse' of offshore flying (although the 61s were still pretty busy).

Rob Royston
31st Jan 2019, 11:52
Bristow ran for a few years with the original Puma. They had a bad reputation, so when the Super Pumas arrived they asked for aircraft fitted out to their spec to be called Tigers. I think only Bristow's Super Pumas were called Tigers.
Back in the seventies the pilots on BAH S 61's flew in short sleeved white shirts, the passengers just wore a pouch type life jacket over their street clothes. Bristows were using survival suits from at least the mid seventies.
When you were flying home to Sumburgh on an S61n you would see Pumas overtaking but you knew that they were all cramped in whereas you were in relative comfort.

Civagiarn
31st Jan 2019, 15:04
Does anyone know what all these Balkan Holidays winter charter flights to Bourgas currently operating from Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Manchester etc are for? It's way too early for the summer season.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/940x2000/screenshot_20190201_004938_e972f0eafcc5f660ba97e5048f5746e31 5690eeb.jpg

PDXCWL45
31st Jan 2019, 16:37
It's a flight radar error as it still comes up for CWL. They operate in the summer not the winter.

Richard Taylor
3rd Feb 2019, 13:48
Also one of the daily 737-700 rotations being upgauged to a 737-800 so a bump in capacity there too

As a matter of interest Capt D, do you know whether the B738 is KLM's own metal, or a Transavia one? Just notice KLM also upping capacity on other UK regionals, & it is a Transavia B738 being utilised.

Thanks.

CaptainDoony
3rd Feb 2019, 14:55
Looks to be down as a normal KL 738 throughout the summer. Also AMS is to be 5x daily in September and October

househunter
4th Feb 2019, 19:51
Is anyone going to take over the LGW route? Full again this morning on the A320.

CabinCrewe
4th Feb 2019, 21:13
Who did you have in mind? Little BE Connect Red ?
Doubt anyone will come near it

xraydice
5th Feb 2019, 10:44
My money would be on something announced in April, in the meantime I'm using Inverness, very little difference in time and a nicer airport too.

Richard Taylor
5th Feb 2019, 17:16
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/airline-announces-extended-season-and-more-aberdeen-flights1/

Wee bit of good news.

Richard Taylor
16th Feb 2019, 15:37
https://aviationanalyst.co.uk/2019/02/16/exclusive%E2%80%8B-flybmi-set-to-collapse/

With Flybe & Eastern not exactly setting the heather alight either, not good news for ABZ. If this is true.

cuthere
16th Feb 2019, 15:44
They’ve just been awarded a two year extension to the LDY-STN PSO, are about to add LDY-MAN as well. If they’re about to collapse, they’re either wilfully ignoring the prospect, or the PSO money has come in very handy. Hopefully they’ll survive as I and, quite a few others in my experience, use BRS-ABZ a fair bit.

toledoashley
16th Feb 2019, 15:50
I can't understand why it should be just bmi as its owned by AIL? What comes of Loganair? and why not transfer the best bits over to Loganair first? (Unless that is why they were transferring a few EMB's over?)

Alex is not usually one I would trust and is the only person 'reporting' on it...! ��

Richard Taylor
16th Feb 2019, 16:04
I can't understand why it should be just bmi as its owned by AIL? What comes of Loganair? and why not transfer the best bits over to Loganair first? (Unless that is why they were transferring a few EMB's over?)

Alex is not usually one I would trust and is the only person 'reporting' on it...! ��

I know - the thought about the EMBs had occurred as well. Apparently there are or were a couple of EMBs positioning back to the UK under 9xxx flight nos. from Europe. But that may be normal positioning - or it might be something more.

PDXCWL45
16th Feb 2019, 16:14
I know - the thought about the EMBs had occurred as well. Apparently there are or were a couple of EMBs positioning back to the UK under 9xxx flight nos. from Europe. But that may be normal positioning - or it might be something more.
3 in the air at the moment heading for Norwich. I don't think the story would be published unless he was sure.

Richard Taylor
16th Feb 2019, 18:00
Sadly the end has come for Flybmi. So loss of services from ABZ to BRS, EBJ & OSL (SAS remains on OSL). Can't recall who was flying on behalf of who for NWI, but presume T3 will fly that in their own name.

Flying the UK regionals seems to be so difficult just now to make money & I doubt that will change any time soon.

Asturias56
17th Feb 2019, 08:18
Understand the Bypass is due to finally fully open this week - now that is a saga

Asturias56
17th Feb 2019, 08:21
Sadly the end has come for Flybmi. So loss of services from ABZ to BRS, EBJ & OSL (SAS remains on OSL). Can't recall who was flying on behalf of who for NWI, but presume T3 will fly that in their own name.

Flying the UK regionals seems to be so difficult just now to make money & I doubt that will change any time soon.

I'd say from my UK visits that the train service has improved a lot over the last 20 years plus added security times and hassle have made local flights an uninviting choice anywhere in Europe . It may take you the same time overall but you have a comfortable seat, your radio etc in the car whereas airports seemed designed to hassle and humiliate you from start to finish

goldeneye
17th Feb 2019, 10:16
Do wonder if LM will take on any of the ex BM routes. Aberdeen to Esbjerg has been operated for years, was this an oil and gas related service ?

Possibly EZY to BRS, but guess time will tell.

CaptainDoony
17th Feb 2019, 10:44
Do wonder if LM will take on any of the ex BM routes. Aberdeen to Esbjerg has been operated for years, was this an oil and gas related service ?

Possibly EZY to BRS, but guess time will tell.

From 4th March it seems LM will take on all 3 BM routes out of ABZ with all loaded and bookable on the LM site from then.

Would imagine there must be contracts in place especially in the case of OSL & EBJ if these are continuing?

Looks to be on the ERJ’s.

mmeteesside
17th Feb 2019, 10:58
Reports also suggest Danish Air Transport will operate Aberdeen to Esbjerg too

Richard Taylor
17th Feb 2019, 12:08
Reports also suggest Danish Air Transport will operate Aberdeen to Esbjerg too

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=da&u=http://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2019-02-17-dansk-selskab-overtager-flyrute-efter-britisk-konkurs&prev=search

Translated story above certainly suggests DAT will be operating the route ex Mondays, not sure from when though. Only way DAT & LOG could possibly compete successfully on EBJ would be with completely different timings from each other - or they co-operate with one operating mornings, the other teatime, say.

LOG certainly wasted no time in taking up the ABZ routes - almost as if some preparatory work was done!

Final leg of the bypass (the bridge over troubled water) opens Tues apparently.

davidjohnson6
17th Feb 2019, 12:49
Loganair already have Aberdeen-Esbjerg on sale from 04 March - flights times look to be remarkably similiar to those from bmir

Update - DAT have put Aberdeen-Esbjerg flights on sale from 25 Feb but at a slightly different time of day. Looks like there will be a bit of a fight going on...

BAladdy
18th Feb 2019, 10:03
LM’s schedule for the former BM Routes is slightly different to that operated by BM. Details below:

Bristol - Will operate 7 x Weekly (BM operated 6 x Weekly)

LM043 ABZ 14:15 BRS 15:35 ER4 17
LM045 ABZ 18:05 BRS 19:25 ER4 x16

LM042 BRS 07:30 ABZ 08:55 ER4 1
LM044 BRS 16:05 ABZ 17:25 ER4 17
LM046 BRS 19:55 ABZ 21:30 ER4 x167

Esbjerg - Will operate 5 x Weekly. Schedule same as BM’s

LM057 ABZ 10:20 EBJ 12:45 ER4 x67
LM058 EBJ 13:15 ABZ 13:40 ER4 x67

Oslo - Will operate 6 x Weekly (BM operated 5 x Weekly)

LM055 ABZ 09:30 OSL 12:10 ER4 1
LM055 ABZ 13:40 OSL 16:20 ER4 x16

LM056 OSL 12:40 ABZ 13:25 ER4 1
LM056 OSL 17:00 ABZ 17:35 ER4 x16

Jim__
18th Feb 2019, 13:15
Saturday 6pm - find out BMI flights to EBJ for a family hol to Legoland are cancelled. (luckily I can claim back from Mastercard)
10pm - rebook Ryanair EDI-BLL as an alternative

Sunday - find out Loganair (and now DAT!) are taking on the route (though obviously not the bookings)

Two questions : 1. Does anyone know which aircraft DAT will use to Aberdeen
2. Are Loganair and BMI owned by the same holding company? I read that they were, but can't confirm it.

BAladdy
18th Feb 2019, 18:37
1. Does anyone know which aircraft DAT will use to Aberdeen
DAT are planning to use a ATR42 4 x weekly

2. Are Loganair and BMI owned by the same holding company? I read that they were, but can't confirm it.
Airline Investments limited are the holding company that own Loganair and Flybmi

goldeneye
19th Feb 2019, 10:08
LM are operating the T3/BE flights between ABZ and NWI until the 31st March on a Saab 2000.

Richard Taylor
25th Feb 2019, 19:28
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/first-passengers-on-new-aberdeen-flight-given-scottish-send-off/
DAT to EBJ starts

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/5km-drone-no-fly-zone-around-aberdeen-airport/
Drone no-fly Zone - 5km from Mar 2019

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/petition-calls-for-airline-to-bring-lifeline-gatwick-flights-back-to-aberdeen/
Petition calling on EZY to recommence the LGW route (good luck with that!!)

TartinTon
25th Feb 2019, 20:45
Not sure if there's enough traffic on EBJ for two carriers....

Plane mad 134
27th Feb 2019, 11:28
Loganair confirm Aberdeen to Southend flights.

NorthernChappie
28th Feb 2019, 15:08
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/campaigners-calling-for-return-of-gatwick-flights-welcome-new-aberdeen-connection/

Ach - who wants to look out the windae anyway.

BAladdy
28th Feb 2019, 16:10
I wonder just how long BE’s LCY service will continue once Loganair launch SEN?. Especially since Loganair’s SEN Service will operate be operating at a higher frequency with flights times about 1 hr shorter than BE’s LCY flights. Also LMs lowest fare will be about half the price of BE’s lowest fare on the LCY.

Richard Taylor
4th Mar 2019, 17:36
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/airline-increases-flights-from-aberdeen-to-stavanger/
Looks like Wideroe are adding (ie. reinstating!) a 3rd SVG rotation during S19 timetables, reintroducing a lunchtime link.

Wonder how Loganair got on today with their new routes?

Richard Taylor
4th Mar 2019, 21:37
Follows a JV & TATL agreement between VS, AF, KL & DL. Apparently 18 UK airports will benefit from this agreement, AMS & CDG routes pertaining to ABZ.

TartinTon
5th Mar 2019, 08:34
Follows a JV & TATL agreement between VS, AF, KL & DL. Apparently 18 UK airports will benefit from this agreement, AMS & CDG routes pertaining to ABZ.

Be interesting to see how this plays out with the KL pilot unions. There is a covenant in place to say that another carrier can only serve points from 2 airports in their own country to AMS to protect dutch jobs.

SWBKCB
5th Mar 2019, 08:54
Be interesting to see how this plays out with the KL pilot unions. There is a covenant in place to say that another carrier can only serve points from 2 airports in their own country to AMS to protect dutch jobs.

Agreement only affects the existing AF/KL flights.

Richard Taylor
5th Mar 2019, 21:24
Looks like we had a visit from the BA retro 319 today in the BEA red square livery, I see a few shots of it at ABZ on the interweb thingy... looking very smart too! Would liked to have seen one in the Speedjack livery, but I guess you can't be too greedy! :O

Richard Taylor
12th Mar 2019, 20:40
Noted the following post from Albert Hall on the NCL thread:

it looks like they are feeling brave. They've requested slots at NCL for a second based ER3 this summer to operate Aberdeen three a day and Bergen and Oslo on what looks like alternate days. A pretty decisive step if it all happens as planned, particularly with a decent schedule on Aberdeen.

xraydice
18th Mar 2019, 12:06

Flightrider
25th Mar 2019, 20:35
Aberdeen to LCY (and Newcastle to LCY) both gone from flybe.com - no flights available after Friday 5 April. Seems like incredibly short notice to stop a route in anyone's book - wonder if it's a system problem instead of a conscious decision?

Alteagod
25th Mar 2019, 21:10
A conscious uncuppiling

RAFAT
26th Mar 2019, 02:43
I suspect that, as Alteagod said, it's a conscious uncoupling from Eastern. Twas always a match made in hell so I guess they're trying to divorce as quietly as possible.

Flightrider
26th Mar 2019, 06:36
You’ve lost me - a conscious uncoupling of what from what? ABZ-LCY from NCL-LCY? Eastern from Flybe? Eastern from Planet Earth? Any could be said to be a match made in hell.

The Nutts Mutts
26th Mar 2019, 06:36
SOU-LBA is still bookable though. If Flybe were terminating their agreement with Eastern would this route not disappear also?

BAladdy
26th Mar 2019, 08:07
SOU-LBA is still bookable though. If Flybe were terminating their agreement with Eastern would this route not disappear also?

If the agreement was being terminated then all routes operated by Eastern would be dropped. I can only guess that LCY is being dropped because they are not making money.

ABZ-NCL is still bookable up to 4 times a day on weekdays with two roundtrips still showing as being operated by a S2000.

Richard Taylor
29th Mar 2019, 20:15
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-47753585

Potential industrial action on the cards, at both ABZ & GLA.

Richard Taylor
5th Apr 2019, 06:31
Apparently (per Newcastle thread) Loganair are starting flights to Newcastle.

SAS adding a 2nd Wed flight on CPH, think I read from 17.4.

ABZ has been impacted by the Flybe troubles in common with elsewhere. Hope they can come through this, obviously a major player here.

ROC10
10th Apr 2019, 00:09
According to Jethros, TUI will base a Sunwing aircraft at ABZ this summer, presumably due to the MAX issues, although this may have been planned prior to this. I would guess the TOM 738 is needed at EDI/GLA as these were planned MAX bases.

Richard Taylor
16th Apr 2019, 19:23
In a bit of financial trouble:
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/debt-ridden-helicopter-operator-bristow-warns-on-fut-457523/

And they own Eastern Airways.

Future for both right now looking uncertain to say the least.

fjencl
21st Apr 2019, 19:55
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/77415-bristow-group-warns-it-might-have-to-file-for-chapter-11

Richard Taylor
3rd May 2019, 16:44
So LM have announced the NCL route as rumoured, but also NWI too, 3xdaily M-F. All reported on the respective threads eff 1st Sept.

Looks like an assault on Eastern and/or they think Eastern is not long for the aviation scheduled world.

If Eastern cannot continue, I would presume LM would be the successor on all the east coast routes t/f ABZ.

Jamesair
3rd May 2019, 16:56
The gap in the ABZ -NCL route...0910 till 1440 is presumably for the proposed Bergen and Oslo routes

Billyboeing
9th May 2019, 15:12
Loganair service ABZ/OSL off sale from 07JUN.

TartinTon
9th May 2019, 19:37
Loganair service ABZ/OSL off sale from 07JUN.

If that's deliberate due to SK cutting back their flying then that's a massive mistake. LM used to make hay while SK took their summer break on the route.

VickersVicount
9th May 2019, 21:14
its deliberate because it was a damp squib. #SingleFigures.
Formally off sale and no longer bookable.

Richard Taylor
10th May 2019, 05:43
Most routes here cannot sustain competition. Just not the numbers & the oil industry glory days are gone. APD decision recently won’t have helped either I suppose. Sad but there you do.

Asturias56
10th May 2019, 16:31
Also a structural change in the Oil business

even 10 years ago it was a lot of large International companies who had people world-wide so there was a constant flow in and out of ABZ - these days a lot of the fields are owned by smaller Aberdeen outfits with no footprint elsewhere so you don't get the travel

plus the platforms etc are down-manned/umanned and no-one is building anything out there . In the 70's and 80's you'd have hundreds working offshore building things - now most of the construction is done onshore in a yard and the (v large) modules are lifted into place - or it's a FPSO that just sails in from Korea.......

TartinTon
10th May 2019, 20:00
its deliberate because it was a damp squib. #SingleFigures.
Formally off sale and no longer bookable.

If that's the case then LM screwed up. BM flights averaged 50% at time of closure.

Albert Hall
10th May 2019, 20:34
Which probably still wasn’t viable with fuel prices where they are, and perhaps explains why they went bust running a network of such routes!

NickBarnes
11th May 2019, 10:04
Which probably still wasn’t viable with fuel prices where they are, and perhaps explains why they went bust running a network of such routes!

Exactly Albert!, best to shed the ones that aren't economicly Viable, clearly Oslo wasn't, and its gone good move despite losing the route.

Albert Hall
16th May 2019, 16:39
PPrune clearly rather better than Routes Online for monitoring this stuff if you were to read the posts in the thread above this one!

VickersVicount
16th May 2019, 16:46
..sometimes tricky when full of pointless posts...

Richard Taylor
16th May 2019, 19:39
..sometimes tricky when full of pointless posts...

Exhibit A above..... :E

Richard Taylor
21st May 2019, 16:40
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/new-flight-to-turkey-to-take-off-from-aberdeen-airport-next-year1/ (https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/new-flight-to-turkey-to-take-off-from-aberdeen-airport-next-year1/)
TUI adding a Mon Dalaman flight in S20 adding to the existing Thu flight. Every little helps....

VickersVicount
21st May 2019, 18:05
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/new-flight-to-turkey-to-take-off-from-aberdeen-airport-next-year1/ (https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/new-flight-to-turkey-to-take-off-from-aberdeen-airport-next-year1/)
TUI adding a Mon Dalaman flight in S20 adding to the existing Thu flight. Every little helps....
In exchange for?

CaptainDoony
21st May 2019, 18:46
In exchange for?

For once, it would appear nothing, Operates to PMI early AM and then off to DLM.

TCX used to be twice weekly Mon & Thu to DLM a few years ago

BAladdy
22nd May 2019, 16:12
DAT are increasing there frequency to ABZ from 4 to 5 x weekly from 26MAY19. The additional frequency operates on a Sunday. Interestingly the routing will be SVG – ABZ – EBJ

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/284477/danish-air-transport-increases-aberdeen-flights-from-late-may-2019/

Richard Taylor
24th May 2019, 16:49
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-48393324

Richard Taylor
27th May 2019, 07:50
Reading the TUI thread, looks like Sunwing are having one or two issues...……..

Richard Taylor
4th Jun 2019, 06:33
Increasing the winter 19/20 schedule. From AIA site:
https://www.aberdeenairport.com/about-us/media-centre/press-releases/news/2019/klm-adds-an-additional-11,000-seats-from-aberdeen-to-one-of-europes-leading-hub-airports/

Richard Taylor
13th Jun 2019, 19:08
More strikes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-48626685?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland&link_location=live-reporting-story

Latest wish list
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/aberdeen-airport-boss-fight-for-winter-sun-flights/

TartinTon
13th Jun 2019, 19:50
The new guy needs to learn from history. Look what happened when there were Monarch flights to Malaga. They worked fine until Globespan came in and added a variety of different sun destinations. Too small a market to support a large diversity of sun destinations, I'm afraid.

Asturias56
21st Jun 2019, 07:37
went through here this week for the first time in a year - and a much improved experience

Only 2 quibbles - you have to walk right the length of the terminal to Domestic Baggage reclaim and then walk half way back to be able to exit and secondly why do BA not have a machine to issue Boarding passes? at least 75% of the people in the line to see an agent only wanted a Boarding Pass as they were carrying hand luggage (well... you know what I mean).........

Civagiarn
21st Jun 2019, 10:42
ALK airlines sent an MD-82 from Bourgas on behalf of BH Air. That must have made some incredible reverse thrust noise on the short runway!

Richard Taylor
26th Jun 2019, 11:40
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/aberdeen-airport-announces-new-winter-flights-to-london-heathrow/
Seems any news is good news!! :rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-48743502
As reported in the news & INV thread. Nothing will change.

wesleyscott
26th Jun 2019, 14:01
the last thing ABZ needs is another Heathrow flight, they need to try and focus minds on Gatwick

EESDL
26th Jun 2019, 14:19
ABZ - LGW ?
Then maybe the CAA would visit more to see what the Oil guys are up too ........

CaptainDoony
26th Jun 2019, 18:12
I count 52x weekly in November
8x 1-5
5x 6
7x 7

Haven’t checked the whole winter but pretty much back to peak BA LHR capacity from a few years ago..

BA seem to be very busy on LHR this summer, a decent Avios Reward Flight is rare as hens teeth currently!

VickersVicount
26th Jun 2019, 21:53
AirlinerRoute suggests LHR increase to 50 per week W19

Skipness One Foxtrot
27th Jun 2019, 15:14
the last thing ABZ needs is another Heathrow flight, they need to try and focus minds on Gatwick
BA dropped LGW after one summer of operations with Houston-LGW having moved to LHR killing a lot of connecting business traffic. Given that easyJet also dropped Gatters, it seems to be a fairly week market. Gatwick is mainly point to point holiday routes with very few connections, even the BA long haul fleet is often gone in one wave so doesn't support multiple daily feeds. Isn't another (cheaper) option to the main London hub a good thing? Connect Airways will offer ABZ some decent Virgin and non BA connections.

Asturias56
27th Jun 2019, 15:53
Given that there are flights from ABZ to NCL & MAN you'd have thought there was enough of a market in S of the Thames for a couple of flights a day LGW - ABZ

It's not as if fares out of LHR are cut throat after all.............

Skipness One Foxtrot
27th Jun 2019, 17:30
There is a market it’s just not one making enough of s profit for BA or EZY I think.

Richard Taylor
2nd Jul 2019, 21:21
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/1787656/strike-action-over-at-aberdeen-airport-as-workers-accept-new-deal/

Richard Taylor
5th Jul 2019, 16:46
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/additional-flights-added-between-norway-and-aberdeen/

From Sept this year; additional Sun flight & reinstating a 3rd weekday rotation.

CaptainDoony
7th Jul 2019, 11:15
I believe some of the extra Wideroe rotations will be on the E190-E2 as well.

Also nearly 30k pax on AMS in May, busiest May for the route. Not hard to see why ABZ-AMS will be the most frequent Scottish route in W19 - 5x daily compared to as little as 3x daily at EDI/GLA.

Skipness One Foxtrot
7th Jul 2019, 11:37
GLA and EDI are also served by easyJet to AMS though.

CaptainDoony
7th Jul 2019, 11:45
GLA and EDI are also served by easyJet to AMS though.

KLM are more interested in feeding their Global hub rather than Easy’s O&D?

inOban
7th Jul 2019, 12:18
AMS isn't the only global hub, and EDI has flights to almost all of them.

Skipness One Foxtrot
7th Jul 2019, 13:27
KLM are more interested in feeding their Global hub rather than Easy’s O&D?
KLM need to have a good balance of O&D to make the route a decent earner.
Am actually heading back to ABZ as I type and it’s like a ghost town, great to see so many airport hotels but occupancy appears to be very, very light.
Be very interested to see what the future holds as oil traffic continues to wind down.

EESDL
8th Jul 2019, 04:37
Typical - I now have a regular requirement to travel to ABZ from LBA, just in time for direct flights to stop.

Where would be the best place to enquire about any future plans to bring back the LBA - ABZ service?

Asturias56
8th Jul 2019, 06:53
Pprune.....................

EESDL
9th Jul 2019, 08:18
Pprune.....................
Those rhetorical questions kill me every time.
Maybe that is why I have posted my query here?

NorthEasterner
9th Jul 2019, 10:58
There is MAN, MME and HUY which Flybe serve to ABZ. However MAN will likely to be cheapest as will be Flybe operated whereas T3 operated flights from MME, HUY & NCL may be more expensive.

PintofDoom
9th Jul 2019, 12:28
Unfortunately the ABZ-LBA route won't be returning anytime soon as pax figures and yields were abysmal when T3 operated it. More routes in time will start to be reduced or culled completely.

EESDL
10th Jul 2019, 11:07
Unfortunately the ABZ-LBA route won't be returning anytime soon as pax figures and yields were abysmal when T3 operated it. More routes in time will start to be reduced or culled completely.
thanks - as I suspected.
MAN works if desperate but it involves various train journeys just to get there - before the fun and games starts!

Porrohman
10th Jul 2019, 12:02
The alternative of 5.5 to 6.5 hours on a train won't be particularly appealing. Something needs to be done to speed up the train services north of York; Durham, Morpeth, Berwickshire, Fife and Montrose to Aberdeen are particularly slow sections. A circa 60mph average speed between Aberdeen and Leeds, and an average of a good bit less than that on the Aberdeen to Edinburgh section, in trains that are capable of 125mph just goes to show how unfit for purpose the Victorian rail infrastructure is.

SWBKCB
10th Jul 2019, 12:11
Something needs to be done to speed up the train services north of York

But won't be...

EESDL
10th Jul 2019, 12:52
The alternative of 5.5 to 6.5 hours on a train won't be particularly appealing. Something needs to be done to speed up the train services north of York; Durham, Morpeth, Berwickshire, Fife and Montrose are particularly slow sections. A circa 60mph average speed between Aberdeen and Leeds, and an average of a good bit less than that on the Aberdeen to Edinburgh section, in trains that are capable of 125mph just goes to show how unfit for purpose the Victorian rail infrastructure is.
have yet to have the pleasure - currently fly via AMS or LHR and still quicker than train to MAN then MightBe flight.
it will have to be the train once company stops paying though!

Porrohman
10th Jul 2019, 13:08
But won't be...

Not in the immediate future, because the available budget is being spent on other things, but the Scottish Government's long-term infrastructure plan includes a target to significantly improve rail journey times to Aberdeen and Inverness from the central belt. Unless the budget is increased to fund a high-speed rail connection (which would cost a fortune), it'll likely be an incremental programme of improvements over decades. One of the ideas under consideration is a new line from Inverkeithing to Halbeath to enable long-distance trains to bypass the twisty section along the Fife coast. Although currently undefined, it may follow the M90 from Ferrytoll to Halbeath using a couple of bridges across the intervening valleys and may include reinstating the fast line through Cowdenbeath (currently a golf course).

SWBKCB
10th Jul 2019, 13:25
Still a big gap between York and the border.

Asturias56
10th Jul 2019, 13:29
But that's a pretty straight and flat line York - Berwick IIRC - a big bend at Durham (oooo see the Cathedral) and one a bit north of Newcastle (?Morpeth?)

When I've used it its been the Edinborough - Berwick bit that has been slow - a bit like the GWR beyond Plymouth

Rossco27
25th Jul 2019, 08:53
Has anyone any detail on the aircraft and operator which took Aberdeen FC to Tblisi?

CaptainDoony
25th Jul 2019, 12:26
Has anyone any detail on the aircraft and operator which took Aberdeen FC to Tblisi?

It was a Maleth Aero B733

Richard Taylor
29th Jul 2019, 17:55
SAS have put on an A320neo on the CPH flight this evening. SAS 1521/22 has also seen a few A319 of late in lieu of the usual CRJ900.

CaptainDoony
7th Aug 2019, 08:54
Reported in Portuguese press that FR are to close their FAO base in Jan 2020.

Presumably that will mean the end of their ABZ-FAO route despite its seemingly strong performance since inception?

PDXCWL45
7th Aug 2019, 10:43
Reported in Portuguese press that FR are to close their FAO base in Jan 2020.

Presumably that will mean the end of their ABZ-FAO route despite its seemingly strong performance since inception?
Unless the base is taken over by Malta Air.

BAladdy
6th Sep 2019, 17:28
LM001 NCL 07:00 ABZ 07:50 x567
LM543 NCL 11:10 ABZ 12:05 x567
LM005 NCL 14:40 ABZ 15:30 5
LM007 NCL 18:00 ABZ 18:50 x67
LM007 NCL 18:15 ABZ 19:05 7

LM002 ABZ 08:20 NCL 09:10 x567
LM546 ABZ 15:40 NCL 16:35 x567
LM006 ABZ 16:00 NCL 16:50 5
LM008 ABZ 16:45 NCL 17:35 7
LM008 ABZ 19:20 NCL 20:10 x67

Loganair have made adjustments to there schedule from NCL to ABZ from 27OCT19. The current early afternoon departures from NCL will be replaced with a new late morning departure, with the return departure from ABZ only retimed slightly. (Changes shown in red)

Although there has not yet been any official info. It looks as if the change has been made to allow Loganair to offer a new 4 x weekly ABZ-NCL-BRU service as the retimed services have been allocated flight numbers currently used for NCL-BRU flights

Richard Taylor
8th Sep 2019, 06:58
Ironically BMIR tried a BRU link direct from ABZ with the ER3/4 (can't recall which) many years ago. Didn't last too long but it was, as now, a lunchtime departure. Interesting to see, if marketed properly, whether a one-stop will be any more successful.

Puts me in mind a wee bit of the days when Air UK routed the AMS service via EDI and BA operated a CDG-GLA-ABZ link, both way back in the 80s with short 1-11s.

I am that old! :O

Asturias56
8th Sep 2019, 07:24
well if the choice is changing at LHR it'll succeed - on the other hand if you can get to AMS it's a 60 second walk to a fast train south............

5711N0205W
8th Sep 2019, 18:47
Ironically BMIR tried a BRU link direct from ABZ with the ER3/4 (can't recall which) many years ago. Didn't last too long but it was, as now, a lunchtime departure. Interesting to see, if marketed properly, whether a one-stop will be any more successful.

Puts me in mind a wee bit of the days when Air UK routed the AMS service via EDI and BA operated a CDG-GLA-ABZ link, both way back in the 80s with short 1-11s.

Not the only one, I remember flying on both those services..

Currently travelling to London fairly frequently and favouring the train over the plane, was starting to get T5 BA fatigue and find I can be more productive in a day of travelling involving the train than flying.

toon22
8th Sep 2019, 21:58

While we’re on the subject of indirect routings, there was also Air Anglia’s F28 CDG - NCL - ABZ service in (I think) the late ‘70’s. Was certainly a treat on the NCL ABZ sector.

BAladdy
9th Sep 2019, 09:28
Loganair have today confirmed flights to Brussels will operate 4 x weekly via NCL from 28th October. They have also announced the launch of 6 x weekly flights to both East Midlands and Haugesund from 24th February 2020

Richard Taylor
9th Sep 2019, 17:51
Fair play to Logie for making a go of ABZ as a base for them. I hope they succeed - no doubt there will be bumps in the runway & a bit turbulence on the way but they'll be ready for that I'm sure.

Anyone recall Coast Air A/S? They were the last to fly HAUABZ in the 90s with J31 & latterly ATR42 before they shifted the Norway end to BGO.

Richard Taylor
10th Sep 2019, 20:45
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-49636158
EC135 to be based at ABZ, 4yr contract with Babcock so presume it will be based with them on the east side.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/aberdeen-airport-hit-back-at-which-survey-naming-scotlands-worst-airport-for-fifth-year-in-a-row/
Think it's fair to say the MD isn't exactly impressed!
Steve Szalay, managing director of Aberdeen International Airport, said: “Whilst all feedback is welcome, we’re not going to lose any sleep whatsoever over a survey based on feedback from just 48 people (0.002% of our annual passenger numbers) and which couldn’t get enough respondents to provide a rating for all of the categories.
“The survey is months out of date and in no way tallies with the hugely positive feedback we’re receiving from the tens of thousands of passengers who are traveling through our doors on a weekly basis."

shetlander
12th Sep 2019, 10:49
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-49636158
EC135 to be based at ABZ, 4yr contract with Babcock so presume it will be based with them on the east side."

I would imagine based alongside Gama at the Scottish Ambulance base.

Richard Taylor
13th Sep 2019, 19:28
Looks like two 737s now at ABZ daystopping to operate the evening freighters.

734 for DHL, and in place of an ATP a 733 for Royal Mail(??)

Seems to be a permanent change.

Plus of course the Loganair Saab 340, for now.

Paul Lupp
13th Sep 2019, 19:39
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/aberdeen-airport-hit-back-at-which-survey-naming-scotlands-worst-airport-for-fifth-year-in-a-row/
Think it's fair to say the MD isn't exactly impressed!
Steve Szalay, managing director of Aberdeen International Airport, said: “Whilst all feedback is welcome, we’re not going to lose any sleep whatsoever over a survey based on feedback from just 48 people (0.002% of our annual passenger numbers) and which couldn’t get enough respondents to provide a rating for all of the categories.
“The survey is months out of date and in no way tallies with the hugely positive feedback we’re receiving from the tens of thousands of passengers who are traveling through our doors on a weekly basis."
Unfortunately as my recent unpleasant experience passing through ABZ shows, his arrogance is misplaced. The worst experience passing though Security I have had for a long time with rude staff who continually interrupted me and would not let me finish a sentence, even when I asked them to just keep quiet and let me finish talking first. Also, still no air bridges to the planes, have to carry hand luggage up stairs to the plane, perish the thought of how people with restricted mobility do this. I have absolutely no wish to ever pass through ABZ again.

The only good thing was that at least I got an email reply the next day to the complaint card that I dropped into their comments box

SWBKCB
13th Sep 2019, 19:59
[QUOTE=Paul Lupp;10569360 Also, still no air bridges to the planes, have to carry hand luggage up stairs to the plane, perish the thought of how people with restricted mobility do this. x[/QUOTE]

Apologies if I've missed trhe point, but how did you expect hand baggage to be dealt with - was special assistance requested?

xraydice
14th Sep 2019, 08:19
, still no air bridges to the planes, have to carry hand luggage up stairs to the plane, perish the thought of how people with restricted mobility do this. I have absolutely no wish to ever pass through ABZ again.

"speshul" assistance at ABZ even if booked ahead very very poor , either too late or never turns up , how do I cope with this , simple , fly from Inverness , pleasant airport friendly and flights to Gatwick

Asturias56
14th Sep 2019, 09:02
which considering the size of the place is really really bad -

Security at ABZ can be bad (tho nothing like MAN....) but has been improving IMHO

mmeteesside
14th Sep 2019, 09:59
Looks like the mail one changed over weekend of 19th August... DHL has been a 734 for a while

xraydice
14th Sep 2019, 12:09
which considering the size of the place is really really bad -

Security at ABZ can be bad (tho nothing like MAN....) but has been improving IMHO

To be fair to the Aberdeen security staff, considering the high proportion of arrogant self important /I wont be told/ dont you know who I am energy industry execs ( mainly )who don't understand the concept of follow the instructions that they deal with every day

Asturias56
15th Sep 2019, 15:18
I've always found that ABZ seem to have their detectors set at a more sensitive level than elsewhere - identical clothes, bags etc zing through at LHR or AMS but coming back set off the alarms at ABZ - I guess they have fewer passengers so the boredom threshold is higher.....................

VickersVicount
16th Sep 2019, 11:47
I've always found that ABZ seem to have their detectors set at a more sensitive level than elsewhere - identical clothes, bags etc zing through at LHR or AMS but coming back set off the alarms at ABZ - I guess they have fewer passengers so the boredom threshold is higher.....................
and what was their response when you enquired?

CabinCrewe
22nd Sep 2019, 07:53
TOM ABZ-DLM increased to twice weekly S20 738
What a treat!

Asturias56
23rd Sep 2019, 13:51
"and what was their response when you enquired"

variable - generally a blank look, sometimes a threatening sort of response "You have no right to ask questions about security matters SIR"

Once " We 're alert & on the job sir, not like those scunners down south"

Richard Taylor
3rd Oct 2019, 16:36
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/airline-launches-new-route-from-aberdeen1/

Loganair will launch a new service to Cornwall Airport Newquay on April 1 next year.

Flights, which will depart from the Granite City on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays will have one stop at Newcastle, and northbound flights on Fridays and Sundays will also stop at Newcastle.

There will also be non-stop services on Saturdays and there will also be extra one-stop flights in each direction on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 6 July and 4 September.

CaptainDoony
12th Oct 2019, 08:37
FR 2020 looks to be on sale now...

No Faro (not a surprise) and no Malta

ALC & AGP remain at 2x weekly for their 4th year

VickersVicount
12th Oct 2019, 09:13
FR 2020 looks to be on sale now...

No Faro (not a surprise) and no Malta

ALC & AGP remain at 2x weekly for their 4th year
Was always ambitious. Is the demand just not there? These routes seem to come and go. What happened to the Turkey flights? (apart from the obvious TCX issues)

CaptainDoony
16th Oct 2019, 13:08
Was always ambitious. Is the demand just not there? These routes seem to come and go. What happened to the Turkey flights? (apart from the obvious TCX issues)

Confirmed in press now that MLA is dropped, I always thought it would be a difficult one to sustain long term and fares often looked rather low this year when I checked them out.

Interestingly the FAO schedule, according to the press release, is still in the works and I notice that routes to NQY and CWL are on sale despite the base closing so maybe not dead in the water just yet.

VickersVicount
20th Nov 2019, 16:55
DAT Stavanger and Esbjerg - gone (minus a few peak Christmas services)
Who comes up with these routes?

Richard Taylor
20th Nov 2019, 17:43
Dat's dat for DAT. Competition on EBJ was never going to work. We're talking Aberdeen here.... Still, been some cracking movements here over the past few days.

xraydice
11th Dec 2019, 08:14
Aberdeen airport drop off fees increased by 50%,
along with lack of air bridge and poor "spechul" services, although the security bods are ok

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/aberdeen-airport-drop-off-fee-increases-50/

CaptainDoony
12th Jan 2020, 17:44
FR FAO now on sale running Jul-Oct, 2x weekly as usual.

Bit unexpected given that Faro was actually removed from the airports destinations page and only yesterday I heard an advert on the radio promoting only 10 Sun routes. (7x TUI, ALC, AGP & BOJ)

Richard Taylor
13th Jan 2020, 06:31
The news coming out in the press if they are to be believed doesn't sound good. Best wishes to all at Flybe - they are important to the schedules at ABZ. But we can only watch & wait. Hope something is agreed in the coming day/s.

ROC10
9th Feb 2020, 21:53
How was the weather at ABZ today? From what I can see, most flights seemed to land without issue (although several BA flights cancelled like other airports). However, I was surprised to see the TUI flight from TFS seemed to struggle before giving up and going to EDI. Not great but not terrible for the inbound passengers on a coach from EDI. However, it meant the outbound flight to TFS has been rescheduled for tomorrow with the aircraft due to position EDI-ABZ in the morning. This is also likely to have a knock-on effect for TUI as there is currently no aircraft in TFS for tomorrow morning's departure.

Richard Taylor
11th Feb 2020, 16:52
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-51458213

Delayed as in canned. Shocked I tell you! :O

JSCL
11th Feb 2020, 16:53
Think I'd sooner see Loganair cancel it than follow the Flybe school of economics.

Atlantic Explorer
11th Feb 2020, 17:32
Competing with Flybe BHX. There just isn’t the demand. EMA hasn’t worked too well for LM, the INV routes also got canned.

craigyton2
11th Feb 2020, 18:15
Competing with Flybe BHX. There just isn’t the demand. EMA hasn’t worked too well for LM, the INV routes also got canned.

The EDI & GLA to EMA route seem to be doing quite well for them though. Most services going out with atleast an 80% load factor.

Asturias56
12th Feb 2020, 07:54
I can see why - try getting from either to Nottingham or Derby by train..................

Atlantic Explorer
12th Feb 2020, 08:02
I can see why - try getting from either to Nottingham or Derby by train..................

Twice hourly from Edinburgh to Derby (1 direct, other with 1 change)

Hourly from Glasgow or for direct train, every 2 hours.

Whats the yield LM are getting from the route though?

ATNotts
12th Feb 2020, 08:09
Twice hourly from Edinburgh to Derby (1 direct, other with 1 change)

Hourly from Glasgow or for direct train, every 2 hours.

Whats the yield LM are getting from the route though?

Derby is fine, Nottingham a bit of a rail backwater. And as for fares, without using a split ticketing website rail fares between the East Midlands and GLA / EDI are eyewatering, and I would suggest, ludicrously, a deal more expensive than LM's offering by air from EMA.

inOban
12th Feb 2020, 12:14
At one time quite a few Edinburgh trains called at Grantham, from which it is easy to get a train back to Nottingham, but nowadays it needs a change from Cross Country at Sheffield. The train's plus is frequency.

Asturias56
12th Feb 2020, 15:20
The 'plane's plus is that you get a seat...............

BAladdy
23rd Feb 2020, 21:50
BE flights to LHR are increasing from 19 x weekly to 3 x Daily from start of S20 schedule

BE2121 ABZ 07:00 LHR 09:00 DH4 D
BE2123 ABZ 12:05 LHR 14:05 DH4 7
BE2125 ABZ 15:15 LHR 17:15 DH4 x7
BE2127 ABZ 17:35 LHR 19:35 DH4 x6
BE2127 ABZ 18:00 LHR 20:00 DH4 6

BE2122 LHR 09:45 ABZ 11:35 DH4 D
BE2124 LHR 14:50 ABZ 16:40 DH4 7
BE2126 LHR 18:05 ABZ 19:55 DH4 x7
BE2128 LHR 20:20 ABZ 22:10 DH4 x6
BE2128 LHR 20:45 ABZ 22:35 DH4 6

In other news, LM are dropping there 12 x Weekly SEN service from 16th April

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/289742/loganair-discontinues-aberdeen-london-southend-route-in-mid-april-2020/

Richard Taylor
5th Mar 2020, 16:56
Looks like Loganair have some competition when they launch BHX as part of the ex-Flybe routes they will launch ex-Aberdeen soon:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/eastern-airways-to-take-over-flybe-routes-from-aberdeen/?fbclid=IwAR13NT-UFn9VqZCQM3Wicd2yPsGJO6MMwR0M4Hza0xqOeon2_VOx5OsrteM

liam4393
6th Mar 2020, 06:58
Such a shame to hear the collapse of flybe - best of luck to all impacted.

Perhaps the economics of the LGW return must now look more attractive for easyJet? Also considering the level of flights which easyJet have cut to Europe recently given coronavirus fears (although only short-term cuts - hopefully!)

Richard Taylor
4th May 2020, 07:14
Been a while since last on here. Fair to say a few things have happened since then. Already reported on MAN thread but for the record here EZY intend launching a daily link MAN-ABZ from end Aug, pandemic permitting. Loganair may have some competition. See the MAN thread for the intended schedule.

Atlantic Explorer
4th May 2020, 07:36
Been a while since last on here. Fair to say a few things have happened since then. Already reported on MAN thread but for the record here EZY intend launching a daily link MAN-ABZ from end Aug, pandemic permitting. Loganair may have some competition. See the MAN thread for the intended schedule.

Suffice to say that will put an end to the Loganair route. Can see EZY focussing much more on UK domestic while the European routes are in thin demand which will spell trouble for Loganair and Eastern who can’t afford to be flying about with next to no pax.

M-JCS
5th May 2020, 07:12
Suffice to say that will put an end to the Loganair route. Can see EZY focussing much more on UK domestic while the European routes are in thin demand which will spell trouble for Loganair and Eastern who can’t afford to be flying about with next to no pax.
The problem with that is it is purely a fare-based supposition. It may be true for the tourist traffic, or those whose time has little value. But given aircraft size, there is no way EZY can economically offer the timings and frequency that business traffic, and even tourist traffic trying to make connections, requires. I'm not sure at all that it is game-out for Loganair. For the litigation minded, there might even be some thoughts in the direction of unfair competition laws, particularly if EZY destroys competition on a given route, only to quit it all together when it doesn't prove lucrative enough. There is precedent, after all, from certain LCCs.

Flightrider
5th May 2020, 07:27
Before any of this, surely we need to see if easyJet are actually going to do this? They're not holding slots (or even ghosted slots) at either airport for any service which looks remotely like this, and there's no sign that any announcement is imminent.

scr1
5th May 2020, 07:55
you book on to loganair flights through easyjets worldwide booking system could it be this??

Dct_Mopas
5th May 2020, 08:40
you book on to loganair flights through easyjets worldwide booking system could it be this??

No, this is a daily service operated by easyJet on an A320.

SealinkBF
8th May 2020, 13:54
Oops. Deleted.

davidjohnson6
16th May 2020, 14:21
Ryanair look to have cancelled their Aberdeen-Faro route for summer 2020

5711N0205W
24th May 2020, 14:09
Auringny Dornier 228 G-OAUR in from Guernsey today, any ideas on the reason?

SWBKCB
24th May 2020, 14:19
Crew ferry for new LM Atr

5711N0205W
24th May 2020, 16:30
Cheers....

PintofDoom
31st May 2020, 20:00
I've been informed T3 are to reduce the ABZ crew requirements to cover just 1 Saab 2000. As the 2 ATRs are due to move to the new SOU base once the IAC flights transfer to LM and LSI.

More changes to come at T3 and things certainly are not looking rosy.

Atlantic Explorer
1st Jun 2020, 07:12
Oh dear. Classic Eastern, we’re reducing the base so you can take redundancy or move to SOU and be based there. 6-12 months later, sorry were closing SOU again and moving the aircraft back to ABZ so you can take redundancy or relocate.....again.

Eastern must hold the record for the number of times closing and opening a base (SOU) I’m thinking maybe 7 or 8 times now?

VickersVicount
1st Jun 2020, 17:38
Air Baltic Riga... gone.

househunter
28th Jun 2020, 21:09
Has Air France / Hop pulled out of Aberdeen?

PDXCWL45
28th Jun 2020, 21:42
No onsale from September by the looks of it.

Porrohman
29th Jun 2020, 13:31
Are there any photos of the damage to the Q400 and E145 after they were separated and/or photos of the separation process?

Some damage to the E145 engine nacelle was clearly visible in the news photos but the Q400 fuselage damage was hidden by the E145. I'm guessing there will be gouge marks on the Q400 from the initial point of impact with the E145 to the final resting place. The Q400 nose gear was highly compressed and may have been damaged through overload or maybe it was fine after the E145 was removed? Was there additional damage to the E145 that wasn't visible in the news photos? Was further damage caused to either or both aircraft during the separation process?

I saw what appeared to be a de-fueling truck in one of the news photos so the first step before separation was presumably to de-fuel both aircraft for safety and weight reasons. I'm guessing the separation involved properly chocking the Q400, finding a suitable way to prevent the E145 from moving in unwanted ways, lifting its starboard wing a little higher using a crane and straps or airbags until it was clear of the Q400 and then pulling the Q400 back? Given the proximity of the two aircraft, the slope of the apron, the lack of space for a pushback tug and probably other complications, this must have been an awkward task and the health and safety assessment of the separation process must have been interesting. Commercial airports / airlines need to have disabled aircraft recovery processes and procedures but will they have envisaged this scenario?

Is any repair work taking place on either aircraft or are they awaiting a visit by the insurance companies to apportion blame and assess whether the damage is economically repairable or not.

Asturias56
29th Jun 2020, 16:33
No has mentioned that ABZ will also be very badly affected by the oil price collapse - a lot of people are out of work because of that and not CV-19