PDA

View Full Version : Why no Unicom frequency in UK?

QDMQDMQDM
16th Jul 2002, 14:20
OK, this has almost certainly been done to death before, but why don't we have a unicom frequency or frequencies as they do in the US and other countries? There are many instances when it could be useful, not least for farm strip flying and formation flying. It would certainly make the illegal (e.g. air to air) use of unallocated frequencies much less commonplace.

QDM

stiknruda
16th Jul 2002, 14:28
I am aware that early last summer, the PFA were in discussion with the RadioComms Agency about the allocation of Air2Air frequencies and other regional Unicom type frequencies.

Will ask next time I speak to them.

Rgds

Stik

niknak
16th Jul 2002, 18:42
The main reason for not having an established unicom
frequency(s), is that relatively, the UK is such a small place.

The next time you fly, tune into a busy frequency at an airport 30 -40nm away, you'll then appreciate the range at which an aircraft can be heard transmitting.
Then consider what it would be like trying to talk to another station, on the ground or in the air, with any number of other aircraft trying to do the same thing.
Even if there were 3 or 4 frequencies allocated for different parts of the UK, you'd still have the same problem.

I can't see an easy solution myself.

StrateandLevel
16th Jul 2002, 18:46
Nothing to do with the RA. Aviation frequencies are Internationally allocated.

Frequency assignment is down to Airspace Policy at the CAA.

There are Unicom frequencies for hellicopters gliders, balloons and incidents but not a general one. A good question but sadly no answers yet!

nonradio
16th Jul 2002, 19:50
At the risk of upsetting someone, somewhere... an example: Little Gransden, Bourn, and Old Warden all have their own freqs, I suspect in the US they would have but one common traffic advis. freq. given the level of activity at these A/Ds.
Anyway, nonradio is best.......