PDA

View Full Version : Descent profile when cleared for an ILS approach?

RMC
19th Sep 2017, 12:59
Was flying into LAX with a very experienced Skipper who had retired from one of the majors last year ....we were cleared for the ILS approach 24R at 40 miles.His view was that the mass of subsequent minimum approach altitudes are no longer applicable as the ILS glideslope effectively became our vertical clearance.

Unfortunately on this runway the glideslope can take you slightly below some of these minimum altitudes earlier in the approach.

I pointed out the glideslope validity distance to ensure we followed VNAV and maintained all minimum altitiude until we passed the final minimum alt but can't find the reference which confirms that an ILS approach clearance does not allow you to bust a minimum altitude.

One old thread on here says

"Cleared for arrival = cleared for the path dictated on chart, do not descend without clearance

Cleared for approach = descent at your discretion while adhering to the altitude restrictions on your "path" and cleared to fly the arrival "path"."

...but with no reference. Thanks in advance.

Goldenrivett
19th Sep 2017, 13:38
Unfortunately on this runway the glideslope can take you slightly below some of these minimum altitudes earlier in the approach.

How much is slightly?
On hot days when it is say ISA+15 or more, then your Altimeter may show you are slightly below the published Altitudes.
However on cold days (say ISA-15 or colder), then your Altimeter will show you are higher than published.

Do you recommend flying below the glide slope on cold days following the minimum Altitudes published?

B2N2
19th Sep 2017, 13:55
I think you'll find your answer here:

https://www.nbaa.org/ops/airspace/20110408-instrument-landing-system-intercepts.php

The ILS glide slope is intended to be intercepted at the published glide slope intercept altitude. This point marks the precision approach final approach fix (PFAF) and is depicted by the “lightning bolt” symbol on U.S. government charts or the beginning of the feather in the profile view on Jeppesen charts. Intercepting the glide slope at this altitude marks the beginning of the final approach segment and ensures required obstacle clearance during descent from the glide slope intercept altitude to the lowest published decision altitude for the approach. Interception and tracking of the glide slope prior to the published glide slope interception altitude does not necessarily ensure that minimum, maximum, and/or mandatory altitudes published for any preceding fixes will be complied with during the descent. If the pilot chooses to track the glide slope prior to the glide slope interception altitude, they remain responsible for complying with published altitudes for any preceding step-down fixes encountered during the subsequent descent.
There have been numerous pilot deviations filed at various airports around the country, including Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Hartsfield - Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC) and Teterboro Airport (TEB).
The following additional advisory language will be added to the AIM 5-4-5 b:
2. The ILS glide slope is intended to be intercepted at the published glide slope intercept altitude. This point marks the PFAF and is depicted by the “lightning bolt” symbol on U.S. Government charts. Intercepting the glide slope at this altitude marks the beginning of the final approach segment and ensures required obstacle clearance during descent from the glide slope intercept altitude to the lowest published decision altitude for the approach. Interception and tracking of the glide slope prior to the published glide slope interception altitude does not necessarily ensure that minimum, maximum, and/or mandatory altitudes published for any preceding fixes will be complied with during the descent. If the pilot chooses to track the glide slope prior to the glide slope interception altitude, they remain responsible for complying with published altitudes for any preceding step-down fixes encountered during the subsequent descent.
View FAA InFO 11009, "Failure to Comply with Minimum Crossing Altitudes at Stepdown Fixes Located on Instrument Landing System (ILS) Inbound Courses"

galaxy flyer
19th Sep 2017, 13:59
Have him read this

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2011/InFO11009.pdf

wiedehopf
19th Sep 2017, 14:00
https://allaboutairplanes.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/temperature-effects-on-an-ils-glideslope/

discusses this topic even with lax ( different runway though)
last paragraph is most relevant

it links a seemingly relevant FAA publication
https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2011/InFO11009.pdf

B2N2
19th Sep 2017, 14:02
Have him read this

I beat you by a whole 4 minutes you slacker ;)

galaxy flyer
19th Sep 2017, 15:25
:ugh: I spent too much time finding the INFO letter.

RMC
19th Sep 2017, 15:34
GR - In the 787 (as with every other aircraft I have flown) with VNAV selects an at or above altitude which in LAX always avoids being below a temperature corrected altitude. My whole point was that I was trying to ensure my buddy did not fly below these altitudes (for any reason).

Thanks for the info guys....he promised me beers all night if I could get this in writing:-)

oggers
19th Sep 2017, 17:04
When cleared for the approach you are cleared to descend in accordance with the procedure. You are not cleared to bust step down fixes. I would expect any professional to be aware of that. I would not expect anyone to be able to quote off the top of their head precisely where within the many thousands of pages of regulations it is written.

5 mins of checking led me to AIM 4-4-1. "[A CLEARANCE] IS NOT AUTHORISATION TO DEVIATE FROM ANY MINIMUM ALTITUDE."

Enjoy your free beer.

JammedStab
19th Sep 2017, 17:23
From the FAA letter....

"Discussion: What this means to pilots is that on some approaches, outside the Final Approach Segment, on a cool day, you might be able to follow the glide slope and all the published stepdown altitudes may pass below your aircraft. The next day, after a warm front passes, you could follow the same glide slope and (because the temperature is hotter this day) those same stepdown altitudes now protrude into the glide slope and require pilot action to ensure compliance with the published minimum altitudes (stepdown fixes). On both days your flight path on the glide slope was the same, but on the hotter day, the stepdown altitude, crept up into your glide path. High barometric pressure produces the same effect as high temperature.

Regardless of cause, pilots are cautioned to adhere to published step-down fixes located outside the Final Approach Segment on an ILS approach. If a pilot elects to follow the glide slope while outside the Final Approach Segment he should be fully aware that this technique needs to be closely monitored and, if necessary, action must be taken to meet all stepdown altitudes. Examples of airports where multiple altitude deviations have occurred include, but are not limited to; LAX, ORD, ATL, SLC."

While I have heard of this issue, this is the first time I have seen it worded this way. Bottom line is...on both the cold and warm days given in the underlined area above, you had the same terrain clearance as you were on the glideslope(which did not change its angle. But due to altimeter errors based on temperature, there was a technical deviation on the warm day. I understand the seriousness of nit descending below minimum altitudes but...If this temperature effect is the cause of all cases, it sounds more like a nitpicking exercise by the FAA than a safety issue.

Check Airman
19th Sep 2017, 20:45
Interesting discussion. There are exceptions to that rule though, as in ATL, where there's no need to worry about being a few feet low when you're still far out.

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1710/00026PRMAAUP.PDF

Have a look at the 3rd briefing point.

(This is page 11-0 or 12-0 on the jepps)

hans brinker
20th Sep 2017, 04:57
that is a reference for PRM approaches.....

G-V
20th Sep 2017, 05:09
So on a warm day, ILS 25L KLAX, I suppose to go above the GS until I pass LIMMA at 1900ft and than intercept the GS from above?

I understand that technically I would bust 1900ft or above requirement at LIMMA if I would follow GS, but is it what FAA wants me to do? To intercept GS from above?

casablanca
20th Sep 2017, 05:42
Who says prune is just gossip...sometimes we have some great information shared!

Check Airman
20th Sep 2017, 05:43
that is a reference for PRM approaches.....

It is indeed. Go on...

RAT 5
20th Sep 2017, 06:17
we were cleared for the ILS approach 24R at 40 miles.His view was that the mass of subsequent minimum approach altitudes are no longer applicable as the ILS glideslope effectively became our vertical clearance.

Ask him to check the approved certified limits on use of Glide Slope. He'll find that 40nm is well outside its approved envelope.

casablanca
20th Sep 2017, 06:34
So on a warm day, ILS 25L KLAX, I suppose to go above the GS until I pass LIMMA at 1900ft and than intercept the GS from above?

I understand that technically I would bust 1900ft or above requirement at LIMMA if I would follow GS, but is it what FAA wants me to do? To intercept GS from above?

That does seem to be sort of a catch 22.... at some point seems logical when on the approach inside Hunda which is "Intermediate fix" that there isn't going to be a lot enroute traffic, one needs to eventually get established and do what you need to do to be stabilized.

If memory serves me correctly the aim says localizer signal certified 18 miles and G.S.at 10 miles

aterpster
20th Sep 2017, 13:05

Whatever it takes. The step-down fixes are the regulatory minimum altitudes until LIMMA. Most carriers use Baro VNAV until passing HUNDA, which provides for a uniform descent while complying with the step-down minimum altitudes.

G-V
20th Sep 2017, 13:53
Most carriers use Baro VNAV until passing HUNDA,

LIMMA is after HUNDA, so can I intercept GS before LIMMA on a +20 ISA day?

aterpster
20th Sep 2017, 14:08
You can intercept the GS anytime after passing HUNDA, but not later than LIMMA.

galaxy flyer
20th Sep 2017, 15:10
Having once watched a "skipper" using the glide slope at 40 mm, I wouldn't do it. At that range, it scallops a lot and plane hunts trying to keep up. Just engage VNAV. Set ALT at 1,900' and listen to the double C-chord--a lot! Don't forget to arm APPR approaching LIMMA!

albatross
20th Sep 2017, 17:17
Does not "Cleared for the Approach" ILS, VOR, GPS or NDB mean "You are cleared to fly the Approach 'as published' "? Therefore you must fly the appoach with all fixes and alts as published on the approach plate? Just thinking of MSAs and suchwhat. A glideslope may intecept high terrain at 40 miles.

Check Airman
20th Sep 2017, 18:40
How much of a deviation are we talking about here? If it's off by 20ft at 8DME over water, I'm not overly concerned. 200ft in mountainous terrain, I'd be interested.

aterpster
20th Sep 2017, 20:18
The issue at LAX and other high-traffic locations was loss of vertical separation on a hot day, not terrain.

giggitygiggity
21st Sep 2017, 02:12
Unless there are special ILS' in the USA, you shouldn't be selecting the lateral mode until you're inside the lateral and distance limits of the beam (eg 25nm). Certainly not until you are much closer than 40 miles. At 40 miles the glideslope is very unreliable. You should probably not select the vertical mode until you're within 15 miles and you certainly shouldn't be selecting it beyond 18 miles unless you're visual with the terrain. You might as well just select Approach at 160nm away at 40,000ft on a straight in approach with an agreeable approach controller.

The procedure might have minimum altitudes due to complex airspace arrangements in addition to terrain so you shouldn't descend below those until you're past the Final Approach Fix and on the GS. Unless I've missed something, isn't this all pretty standard/obvious? If I did, it's because it's late and i'm tired!

Check Airman
21st Sep 2017, 02:23
You know, I've heard anecdotally (no proof whatsoever) that the beams at LAX are "beefed up" so to speak to provide a more reliable signal at a greater distance.

hans brinker
21st Sep 2017, 05:45
It is indeed. Go on...

Roger, I read Briefing point 3 "all breakouts are to be ...ASO. instead of the reference you were pointing to: "Descending on the glidepath ensures compliance with any charted crossing restrictions"

Having said that: I interpret that note to mean that on this specific approach all crossing restrictions are below the glideslope, not that you can cross the fix a few feet low while on the glideslope. I have flown into LAX and ATL and I don't follow the glideslope if it will take me below a published altitude on an ILS aproach.

aterpster
21st Sep 2017, 13:28
You know, I've heard anecdotally (no proof whatsoever) that the beams at LAX are "beefed up" so to speak to provide a more reliable signal at a greater distance.
I believe they are frequency protected to a greater distance than customary. This was done in the days before LNAV was common so the localizer could be used out to 50 miles (but not the GS).

Today, modern airplanes should be in LNAV/VNAV until the fix prior to the ILS FAF. (PFAF in FAA-speak these days).

CaptainMongo
21st Sep 2017, 13:47
Class B excursions (descending below Class B airspace on approach) have been getting quite a lot of attention in the US. KLAX (and KSFO, NYC airports, KORD among others) has been identified as a threat because of close proximity of general aviation aircraft.

GA aircraft, I have been told, have avionics that can tell them in great detail where exactly they are in relation to Class B airspace, so they are more confident in using the airspace allotted to them which puts them in closer proximity to the boundaries of, but not in, Class B airspace.

One way to ensure we remain in Class B airspace is to follow published approach altitudes.

As for the OP, you were correct in advocating complying with published altitudes until the GS intercept altitude. Next time you can, gently, teach that ole dog a new trick.

Ian W
21st Sep 2017, 14:14
From the FAA letter....

"Discussion: What this means to pilots is that on some approaches, outside the Final Approach Segment, on a cool day, you might be able to follow the glide slope and all the published stepdown altitudes may pass below your aircraft. The next day, after a warm front passes, you could follow the same glide slope and (because the temperature is hotter this day) those same stepdown altitudes now protrude into the glide slope and require pilot action to ensure compliance with the published minimum altitudes (stepdown fixes). On both days your flight path on the glide slope was the same, but on the hotter day, the stepdown altitude, crept up into your glide path. High barometric pressure produces the same effect as high temperature.

Regardless of cause, pilots are cautioned to adhere to published step-down fixes located outside the Final Approach Segment on an ILS approach. If a pilot elects to follow the glide slope while outside the Final Approach Segment he should be fully aware that this technique needs to be closely monitored and, if necessary, action must be taken to meet all stepdown altitudes. Examples of airports where multiple altitude deviations have occurred include, but are not limited to; LAX, ORD, ATL, SLC."

While I have heard of this issue, this is the first time I have seen it worded this way. Bottom line is...on both the cold and warm days given in the underlined area above, you had the same terrain clearance as you were on the glideslope(which did not change its angle. But due to altimeter errors based on temperature, there was a technical deviation on the warm day. I understand the seriousness of nit descending below minimum altitudes but...If this temperature effect is the cause of all cases, it sounds more like a nitpicking exercise by the FAA than a safety issue.

This is an extraordinarily poorly written note by the FAA.

If the aircraft is on the glide slope (assuming that it is accurate at that range) then the aircraft will always have the same vertical distance from terrain as the glide slope is a 3 degree path from a fixed point on that terrain.

What they should be saying is that the glide slope obstacle clearance surface is only calculated to 20 miles outside that distance there is no guarantee that the glide slope does not penetrate terrain.. The minimum safe altitudes for the fixes on the STAR are calculated to ensure that an aircraft at that altitude will be clear of terrain regardless of the pressure setting or temperatures and therefore should be obeyed.

aterpster
21st Sep 2017, 14:25
Class B excursions (descending below Class B airspace on approach) have been getting quite a lot of attention in the US. KLAX (and KSFO, NYC airports, KORD among others) has been identified as a threat because of close proximity of general aviation aircraft.

GA aircraft, I have been told, have avionics that can tell them in great detail where exactly they are in relation to Class B airspace, so they are more confident in using the airspace allotted to them which puts them in closer proximity to the boundaries of, but not in, Class B airspace.

Some GA aircraft certainly do have that capability, but many still do not.

Although it is a regulatory violation for an air carrier airplane to descend below Class B, that doesn't get the attention that compromising IFR separation does, because the latter becomes a matter of a controller staying out of trouble when the "Snitch" goes off. That did happen quite often on hot summer days in the Ontario, California area where the SoCal unti that controls KLAX has airspace in the KONT area controlled by a different SoCal unit that is below the KLAX airspace.

One way to ensure we remain in Class B airspace is to follow published approach altitudes.

There have been cases where FAA designers have screwed that pooch by the left hand (airspace designers) not knowing what the right hand (approach designers) were doing.

CallmeJB
21st Sep 2017, 14:49
This is an extraordinarily poorly written note by the FAA.

If the aircraft is on the glide slope (assuming that it is accurate at that range) then the aircraft will always have the same vertical distance from terrain as the glide slope is a 3 degree path from a fixed point on that terrain.

What they should be saying is that the glide slope obstacle clearance surface is only calculated to 20 miles outside that distance there is no guarantee that the glide slope does not penetrate terrain.. The minimum safe altitudes for the fixes on the STAR are calculated to ensure that an aircraft at that altitude will be clear of terrain regardless of the pressure setting or temperatures and therefore should be obeyed.

These glideslope/step-down fix/barometric altimetry violations are almost always about airspace construction and traffic separation, not about terrain.

The actual height of the electronic glide slope is not the issue. The issue is that traffic below the glide slope will be at higher ACTUAL heights on hot days, because they are flying based off of barometric altimetry. The step-down fixes are also based on barometric altimetry, so aircraft on the approach must comply with the step-down altitudes for separation to be assured, regardless of where the electronic glide slope might actually be.

Traffic below Class B airspace are not monitoring the ILS glide slope. They are only minding their barometric altimeters.

aterpster
21st Sep 2017, 15:45
These glideslope/step-down fix/barometric altimetry violations are almost always about airspace construction and traffic separation, not about terrain.

Perhaps so at major terminals, but terrain is a big factor in some cases. Attached is a good example. They offer a second procedure that uses the GS out beyond the normal maximum distance for an ILS final segment. Regular users of the airport like the Z option a lot more. (EDIT: They FAA is doing away with the "Z" procedure on October 12.)

RMC
22nd Sep 2017, 21:05
RAT5 - Re original post I pointed out the glideslope validity distance to ensure we followed VNAV and maintained all minimum altitiudes

flyburg
23rd Sep 2017, 12:47
CallmeJB is right!

Simple calculation for temp corrections is 4 feet/degree off standard/1000 ft. Say there is a step down fix of 5000' on an ILS to sea level( like LAX)because traffic to a different airport gets vectored at 4000' at that point. Say the actual temperature is 30, calculation is then that the aircraft on the ILS at 15 miles out where he is at a actual height of 5000 would be at an indicated altitude of 5000-(5 times 4 times 15=)300= 4700 if he where to follow the glideslope. There would be a loss of separation with the aircraft below being vectored at 4000 of 300 feet.

If you don't believe this effect look at a regular ILS approach. Usually there is an altitude check around 4 miles(outer marker/dme fix etc) you should be around 1200 ft on a standard day! On a colder day, say 0 degrees your altimeter will indicate 1.2 times 4 times 15= higher, in this case 1272, if it is warmer it should read 1128

sycamore
23rd Sep 2017, 16:15
Surely the altimeter error due to temperature will affect all aircraft in the area....?

FullWings
23rd Sep 2017, 17:11
No, because with an ILS GS you always follow the same path through the sky as it is not barometrically referenced: it doesn’t matter what you have on your altimeter. Aircraft around you will be at different relative altitudes depending on the environmental conditions.

I think flyburg has given a good explanation and examples in his post above.

sycamore
23rd Sep 2017, 19:38
FW, at the `fix`/step,the a/c flies at an indicated altitude of 5000ft.Another a/c is vectored to 4000 ft in the same area.
The higher a/c is at a true altiude of 4700 ft under the conditions.
The lower aircraft is at a true alt of (4x4x15=240)=3760ft..difference ,940ft..

wiedehopf
23rd Sep 2017, 20:43
i'm gonna shamelessly repost the link i posted earlier

https://allaboutairplanes.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/temperature-effects-on-an-ils-glideslope/

it is called temperature effects on an ils glideslope.

and @tangoalphad .... let's just assume he was talking ISA+30

CallmeJB
23rd Sep 2017, 20:45
FW, at the `fix`/step,the a/c flies at an indicated altitude of 5000ft.Another a/c is vectored to 4000 ft in the same area.
The lower aircraft is at a true alt of (4x4x15=240)=3760ft..difference ,940ft..

That's correct, if the higher aircraft is flying an indicated altitude of 5000 ft.

But, say that the indicated altitude of 5000ft results in being 2 dots high on the glide slope, or even full-scale. Some flight crews assume that it is okay to follow the glide slope; after all, it is fixed in space!

But this thread is contemplating and describing why complying with barometric altitude restrictions of step-down fixes on the approach is important: because conflicting traffic is separated based on barometric altitudes, not the fixed glide slope.

FullWings
23rd Sep 2017, 21:01
If it hit the fix at 5,000’ which was also the charted value, then conditions are ISA, so it is at a real 5,000'. As soon as they vary from ISA, the indicated crossing altitude will differ: less in warm conditions and more in cold conditions.

As the atmosphere warms and cools, the “feet” that your altimeter indicates also expand and contract and are only equal to the reference foot in ISA conditions. An ILS glide slope, however, follows the same path through the sky irrespective of temperature. It would do the same even if there was no atmosphere at all.

The fix crossing altitude stays the same in absolute terms, as it is defined as a distance from the glide slope transmitter. What you see on your altimeter as you cross this fix depends on the composition of the atmosphere below.

In terms of separation from other aircraft, when you are on the ILS you are following a fixed path no matter whether it’s Monday or Thursday or if it’s 40degs or -40degs or if you have 950hPa or 1050hPa on the sub scale. Other aircraft who are using their altimeters on a common pressure setting will be separated from each other but not necessarily from you.

CallmeJB
24th Sep 2017, 12:17
Other aircraft who are using their altimeters on a common pressure setting will be separated from each other but not necessarily from you.

Right. Which is why when cleared for an ILS approach, until you reach the Final Approach Segment (glideslope intercept altitude), you should be complying with published crossing altitude restrictions. Even if meeting those restrictions takes you above the glide slope.

PENKO
24th Sep 2017, 12:58
So what if you are on radar vectors on an intercept heading and cleared fir the ILS from 5000'? Do the lower procedural minimum alts still apply? AGP 13 is a prime example.

PENKO
24th Sep 2017, 13:18
Apologies, LEMG ILS-Z 13.

Procedurally the approach starts at 6000 with step downs to 5000 and 4200, thereafter the the ILS glide. With vectors they'll clear you from 5000.

aterpster
24th Sep 2017, 13:40
So what if you are on radar vectors on an intercept heading and cleared fir the ILS from 5000'? Do the lower procedural minimum alts still apply? AGP 13 is a prime example.

You don't descent below 5,000 until passing D16.5 GMM (or 17.4 AGP) then either descend to 4,200 to intercept the GS or stay at 5,000 to intercept the GS. You have this option because there are no step-down fixes between D16.5 and the official GS intercept point at D11.7. If the GS is not available then after D16.5 you descend to 3,400 until D9.9, then follow the LOC-only profile.

RMC
17th Mar 2019, 14:15
just got back from LAX with the same Captain who prompted this thread by arming the 25 L glide slope at 40 miles AT ISA PLUS 15 oblivious to the fact that by descending on the glide below minimum altitudes we were reducing separation with the massive amount of GA traffic below.

in the cruise we briefed LAX he says he is going to arm the glide slope at 40 miles again. I pointed out that taking us below class B airspace on this procedure would be a violation.......his response fine I’ll arm the glide slope anyway and you can request a visual approach to make it legal.

This may technically be legal by placing the responsibility for separation onto us ......but how stupid to suggest take a 787 with a ground speed of 300 knots through one of the busiest GA area during the weekend peak.

As well as your thoughts on this if anyone has any info on the nature type and vertical extent of the associated airspace I’d be grateful for that also.

we didn’t end up doing it btw.

check airman your link doesn’t work now....any chance you have another.Thanks

172_driver
17th Mar 2019, 17:23
Take a look at skyvector.com and get out the KLAX TAC chart. Gives you a good idea of the B airspace. I think you'll be well within the airspace but separation to other (controlled traffic) may not suffice.

Check Airman
17th Mar 2019, 17:37
https://www.airnav.com/depart?http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1903/00026PRMAAUP.PDF

Here's the current link. It's the ATTENTION ALL USERS page for the PRM approaches in ATL.

aterpster seems to have a good grip on the topic at hand. How is it that in ATL, you can always descend with the glideslope, but at other places (like ORD) it's sometimes inadvisable?

Interestingly, we joined the ILS at 10k going into ORD a few weeks ago. The FD rocked the wings a few times when transitioning from NAV to LOC, but otherwise flew it beautifully.

hans brinker
17th Mar 2019, 17:42
just got back from LAX with the same Captain who prompted this thread by arming the 25 L glide slope at 40 miles AT ISA PLUS 15 oblivious to the fact that by descending on the glide below minimum altitudes we were reducing separation with the massive amount of GA traffic below.

in the cruise we briefed LAX he says he is going to arm the glide slope at 40 miles again. I pointed out that taking us below class B airspace on this procedure would be a violation.......his response fine I’ll arm the glide slope anyway and you can request a visual approach to make it legal.

This may technically be legal by placing the responsibility for separation onto us ......but how stupid to suggest take a 787 with a ground speed of 300 knots through one of the busiest GA area during the weekend peak.

As well as your thoughts on this if anyone has any info on the nature type and vertical extent of the associated airspace I’d be grateful for that also.

we didn’t end up doing it btw.

check airman your link doesn’t work now....any chance you have another.Thanks

That is what "no fly list" and union "pro standards" are for. Hope he gets his ass chewed. Don't accept the visual.

RMC
17th Mar 2019, 18:35
i have a calculator for cold temps which says if I were @ 5000’ -10 degrees C then my actual alt would be 4500’

What would be the actual altitude at 25 degrees C @ 5,000’?

(the relationship doesn’t seem to be linear as the temperature gets colder...so I guess it isn’t 10% / 10 degrees when the temperature gets warmer)?

FlightDetent
17th Mar 2019, 22:51
RMC, somewhere in ICAO Doc 8168 I once found the equation to calculate the altitude corrections for non-ISA temperature.
Do not take my word for it without checking, IIRC the DELTA needed to get the true geometrical HEIGHT above the measuring point were more or less the same for the warm temperatures as they were for the cold ones.

The catch was the reference "zero" - it is SL @ 15 DEG centigrade. I.e.

For COLD temperatures the correction down to 0°C (ISA -15) is negligible.
For HOT temperatures, in a similar fashion, until you hit ISA +15 the difference is not that relevant.

If you only have the COLD tables, to get a taste about the HOT deviation you may attempt :

OAT 40 deg at SL = ISA+25
----- reverse -----
ISA -25 = -10 deg Centigrade
==> use the values for -10 degrees and apply them in the opposite sense, to get a taste of the HOT air deviation.

wiedehopf
17th Mar 2019, 23:59
You can get the formula from the generic Barometric formula with lapse rate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometric_formula

But don't fret about the large equation, for temperature correction you can assume most stuff to be constant.
You assume p1=p2 (because that is what your altimeter converts to an altitude) and then you can throw out the exponent and a lot of other stuff.

You end up with this equation:
h1/t1 = h2/t2

This assumes temperatures in Kelvin. For temperatures in C and solving for h2 the formula becomes:

h2 = h1 * ((273.15+t1)/(273.15+t2))

Your example:
h1 = 5000 ft
t1 = 15 C (standard ISA)
t2 = 25 C
result:
h2 = 5173 ft

t2 = 30 C results in h2 = 5260 ft

t2 = 35 C and h1 = 8000 ft results in h2 = 8555 ft

h1 is the altitude your altimeter is reading (it assumes ISA, so t1 = 15C)

h2 is the actual altitude you are at assuming a sea level temperature of t2.

FlightDetent
18th Mar 2019, 00:33
Relevant pages attached. The whole equation from the middle of the first page could be expressed as

-(ISA_dev) * Fn_error[height, elevation].

Meaning that the Height Error Function provides a difference between the reading and the true height. Which is then scaled in direct proportion to the ISA_dev to obtain the result. Whether hotter or colder than ISA makes no difference to the number, only reverses its polarity.