PDA

View Full Version : 'A Chopper is Born' on TV

Fly Stimulator
16th Jul 2002, 13:17
Just a reminder for those interested, the series 'A Chopper Is Born' starts tonight in the UK on Discovery Home & Leisure at 9pm.

They seem to be showing five episodes tonight. Same production company and presenter (Mark Evans) as 'A Plane is Born.' I believe it's a Rotorway Exec that they're building this time.

Channel 133 (and 134) on Sky - I assume it's on cable as well if you have that.

Whirlybird
16th Jul 2002, 16:00
Arggggghhhhhh!! I can't get it. :( :( :( I don't suppose any kind person could video it and send it to me, could they?

AerBabe
16th Jul 2002, 16:06
Was just about to post the same Whirly, but I won't, cos you just did ;)
Who's going to rescue two damsels in distress? :(

sennadog
16th Jul 2002, 16:26
Excellent. That means I get to hog the telly tonight instead of Mrs.Sennadog.:D

Can't help with the video as I don't have one anymore. I wonder who's going to install the avionics for him this time?

Fly Stimulator
16th Jul 2002, 17:12
Whirly and Aerbabe,

I'm planning to record it so, assuming it works (flying is easier than working most videos!), I'll lend you the tape.

FS

Wily Coyote
16th Jul 2002, 19:10
I've just called NTL and whilst I was talking to the helpful lady on the other end of the tele-balance unit, all the discovery channels popped up on my telly, as if by magic :)

I too will be taping all the episodes (I have all the Plane is Born on tape) and will be happy to lend it out, providing it's looked after of course ;)

Wily

AerBabe
16th Jul 2002, 20:13
Excellent, thanks chaps! :D

Whirlybird
17th Jul 2002, 08:48
Thanks from me too. :) :) :) :) I'll look forward to seeing that.

Fly Stimulator
17th Jul 2002, 10:38
I recorded it all OK - I assume they're broadcasting the rest of the series next Tuesday so I'll put that on the tape too.

I was a little disappointed in it - it was largely a step-by-step record of the build process. I'd hoped there would be much more about learning to fly as well, as per 'A Plane Is Born'. Maybe that'll be in the next episodes.

Evo7
17th Jul 2002, 12:15
Wily Coyote

Could I join the queue for 'a plane is born'? Will take good care of it... :)

rex
17th Jul 2002, 18:32
Hi guys

I saw two of the programs and it is a slightly different format from a "plane is born" as there is not so much of the learning to fly bits, but then I didn't watch them all. Mind you it was a wicked looking chopper. Mrs REX wouldn't mind one.........perhaps I could convince her to get a rotary licence......easier to go to some restaurants and hotels:D

Perhaps I will have to wait a while.

REX:)

SteveR
17th Jul 2002, 18:55
I was a bit disappointed by these shows. 'A plane is born' had the ideal format, with a big chunk of flying lessons sandwiched between the building bits, but this show missed several tricks.

I've *flown* a helicopter (for a whole 5 mnutes), and looked at many of them close up, but I still only ocasionally understand the mechanical processes of how the rotor head actually works. Surely a properly made programme would've somehow explained this, even to me?

Also, I lost track of how the engine connects to the main shaft - there was a ginormous chain, with some sprockets - and a belt and pulley system as well?

It did a good job of demonstrating how a sprag clutch works tho' - it's just a pity the same depth wasn't exhibited on the rotor head, and engine install.

I liked the continual references back to the factory to show the manufacture of the components.

The flying lessons bits were, frankly, pointless.

The 'plane' programmes (ooh it grates to type that, sorry stik) presented the PPL course very well I thought - I'd recommend the series to a prospective student for that strand alone, but after watching the first few programmes I have no idea at all as to how Mark was finding the course, or even what it entails.

Steve R

Chilli Monster
17th Jul 2002, 19:17
It never ceases to amaze me of the attitude of the armchair critic. Maybe things should be looked at in context.

This is a programme aimed at an audience the majority of which will only have a passing interest in aviation. The fact that this and the previous series shows that lots of us involved are not a bunch of handlebar wearing upper class twits can only be a good thing.

I'm sure if it was made purely for the aviation enthusiast / officionado then the rest of the world wouldn't watch and GA wouldn't be getting decent publicity.

(Using the same psychology I found myself watching 'Garden Invaders' presented by Mark Evans this evening and enjoyed it! Anyone who knows me will tell you that's so untypical to be almost worth a visit to a shrink!)

CM

rex
17th Jul 2002, 19:22
Woooahhh Chilli Monster

I suppose we are entitled to our opinions, but I do agree that programs like these can only be a good thing. I didn't say that I didn't enjoy it. In fact I would probably sit there and watch the whole lot......several times:)

REX

Wily Coyote
18th Jul 2002, 11:55
Evo7,

Of course you may borrow it. I assume you mean "a chopper is born", not "a plane is born"??

If anyone's interested, you can buy the original "a plane is born" on vid although it's just the plane-building sequences, no flying lessons or pfa rally footage :(

The webby is www.aplaneisborn.com
The webby for a chopper is born is www.discoveryeurope.com/chopper

Can't say I'm enjoying the chopper series as much as the plane building series. As others have said, the learning to fly bits are short and impersonal. Part of the charm of a plane is born was seeing Mark Evans changing from complete novice to flying his own creation by the end of the series. It's almost as if in this program he's not really that passionate about what he's doing.

Apparently, the production company couldn't afford to pay for his PPL(H). Familiar story to many here I would imagine :)

Wily

Wily Coyote
18th Jul 2002, 11:59
Fly Stimulator, forgot to mention, they ARE continuing the series next Tuesday at 9pm. Another bumper special apaprently. At this rate they'll have shown the whole series within 3 weeks.

Wily

Evo7
18th Jul 2002, 12:09
Wily C

Was hoping to borrow "A Plane..." rather than "A Chopper..." - I've heard it is good, but I don't have Discovery so I've never seen it. Was hoping to see the learning to fly bits too (as that's what I'm doing at the moment). Is that OK?

I'll happily pay postage etc. - could you send me an E-mail and let me know an address...?

Wily Coyote
18th Jul 2002, 13:30
Yeah Evo, that's fine. I watched it beginning to end a few weeks ago so I've had my fix for a while :)

I'll drop you a mail in a bit. I assume the pprune@ address below will get to you?

Wily

Evo7
18th Jul 2002, 13:36

The pprune@ address is the one - figure that if I'm going to waffle on here then people should have somewhere to swear at me in private... :)

Wily Coyote
20th Jul 2002, 21:38
Evo7,

Have you checked your mail recently?

Sent you a mail regarding APIS but not received a response yet.

Wily

Lost_luggage34
21st Jul 2002, 00:33
B*gger, b*gger, b*gger - I was the man who put his money on an OnDigital box and it came up black - about 2 months ago.

Loved the Plane is Born and Car is Born although Mark Evans can be a tad irritating at times. No longer have Discovery so will have to beg plead and borrow videos - anyone ?

Evo7
21st Jul 2002, 07:12
Wily - was away for a couple of days, so just got back home to my mail. :)

RotorHorn
23rd Jul 2002, 14:08
Just a reminder that the second set of programs is on tonight, with the final set of programmes on next Tuesday evening.