PDA

View Full Version : Plane leaves pilot behind after he spins propeller

enq
16th Jul 2002, 09:56
Plane leaves pilot behind after he spins propeller

A plane without a pilot has crashed into three others after nearly taking off at an Australian airport.

The pilot had spun the Cessna's propeller when it started moving at Darwin airport before he was able to get back inside.

Owner of two of the damaged planes John Hardy told ABC News Online it almost became airborne.

The pilots' three children were inside. They only suffered minor injuries.

Mr Hardy says the Cessna careered across the tarmac before crashing and stopping.

"He wasn't in the aeroplane but his three children were - which is pretty frightening - and the aircraft engine sprung in to life and developed enough power to tear off down the taxiway," he said.

He added: "I think one wheel was off the ground and it was accelerating very quickly."

A police spokeswoman said: "Apparently the pilot was outside trying to start it and it started moving and crashed."

Story filed: 09:10 Tuesday 16th July 2002

Very nearly the youngest first solo on the airfield no doubt.

QDMQDMQDM
16th Jul 2002, 10:00
This happened in the fifties when my father-in-law was at Auster's, except then the aircraft took off and landed unharmed in a field some distance away, no-one on board. I'll try and dig out a reference.

QDM

LowNSlow
16th Jul 2002, 11:56
QDMx3 that's very discouraging. So the secret of Auster flying is to let the aeroplane do it unhindered by pilot intervention? Mmmm, might work, it would probably result in better landings than my last one :D :D

QDMQDMQDM
16th Jul 2002, 13:48
So the secret of Auster flying is to let the aeroplane do it unhindered by pilot intervention?

From my limited experience so far, I strongly suspect this is the secret of flying. Period.

:)

QDM

nonradio
16th Jul 2002, 16:55
All the best sorts of aeroplanes have Armstrong starters...

tacpot
16th Jul 2002, 18:50
Pity the Armstrong brakes don't work as well as the kind operated with heels or toes:D

formationfoto
16th Jul 2002, 20:52
This, all too sdaly, is a regular occurence. In a news report on an incident of this nature in the U.S earlier this year the TV reporter ended the piece with a comment along the lines of "well thats what happens when you leave a plane in gear when you try to start it...."
Could someone tell me how to disengage the gears in the Tiger Moth please, Ive obviously been doing it wrong all this time.