PDA

View Full Version : Licence re-validation

What a Loop
16th Jul 2002, 07:42
Given the recent topics on this, I thought I'd give my experience on getting mine revalidated

For some reason I was expecting this to be a nightmare. BUT

Having completed the relevant hours in the last 12 months went to the flying club and having done the relevant hour with an instructor during a club plane check out, I got my licence signed off by the CFI/examiner and the paperwork sent off to the CAA.

It all seemed too easy, am I just lucky or am I missing something:confused:

From some of the posts it seems that it went to easy????:D :D

Field In Sight
16th Jul 2002, 08:27
I did my revalidation about 4 weeks ago. Unfortunately I had to to the proficiency check even though my IMC test pass from 1 year ago would of sufficed.

After the test, the examiner signed my license and as far as I know that is that. My point being, what paperwork to the CAA???

englishal
16th Jul 2002, 10:28
The SPA LPC (Single Pilot Aeroplane Licencing proficiency check) form. Same happened to me first time, the examiner signed my licence but didn't do any paperwork. I wrote to the CAA and they confirmed that this form needed to be submitted by the examiner to the CAA, and signed by me.

Cheers
EA

Who has control?
16th Jul 2002, 10:40
Do I detect the noise of a can of worms opening?

I too, never signed any form after my biannual check flight. I feel a call to the flying club coming on.

englishal
16th Jul 2002, 10:48
Just found the reply the CAA sent me............

Thank you for your enquiry of 4 March 2002, please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

As you suggest, the examiner who endorsed the new Certificate of Revalidation (C of R) in your licence should have completed a form SPA LPC (single-pilot aeroplane, licensing proficiency check) and submitted it to this office - the form allows for revalidation by experience.

You are also correct in identifying the fact that, provided the examiner signs up the Certificate of Revalidation page within the 12 months prior to the expiry of the current Certificate, the revalidated rating will run from the date the existing rating expires, even if the current rating has more than 3 months to run. (this does not apply if revalidation was by proficiency check).

As we do not seem to have received any paperwork from the examiner, I suggest the best course of action is to get another C of R signed up by your flying club to run from 27/5/02.

Cheers
EA

Who has control?
16th Jul 2002, 10:53
Thanks Englishal,

I've just phoned the CAA and yes, the examiner who signs the logbook should have submitted the form. Another thing to chase up!

What a Loop
16th Jul 2002, 11:56
Folks

Yes thats the form. The examiner filled it out I signed it etc and he sends it off.

Worthwhile knowing as it seem that the Licence is getting signed but the form is being overlooked. Don't know the CAA reference number for the form, but I can find out if anyone is intersted.

The Nr Fairy
16th Jul 2002, 12:20
So does anyone know what sort of leeway the CAA are giving on this sort of thing ?

A friend of mine would be interested to know . . .

StrateandLevel
16th Jul 2002, 19:05
Even the CAAs response is confusing:

(this does not apply if revalidation was by proficiency check).

this is only correct if the proficiency check is completed early, i.e. greater than 3 months from the expiry date, then the new rating runs from the date of the proficiency check

however,

if the proficiency check is conducted within the last 3 months of the rating THEN IT DOES APPLY

All the JAA examiners signed a declaration of knowledge to say they understood all of this! But it was a long time ago!

Who has control?
17th Jul 2002, 07:20
So long as your logbook and Certificate of Experience are signed by an examiner (not an instructor) I believe that you are OK.

Wibbly P
17th Jul 2002, 10:37
Come on Guys sort it out.

SEP Reval can be done by either

Experience OR Test

If you are doing it by Experiance you do your 12 hours in the second year of validity (at least 6 P1, 12 to's and Landings and 1 hr with inst etc) and WHILST the rating is still valid and WITHIN the 3 months prior to expiry you present this to an Examiner and he will give you 24 months FROM THE EXPIRY.

In this case he will sign the C of R page and should also complete the LPC-SPA form, tick the Reval by Experiance box and send it to the CAA. No fee required and the CAA keep this.

If you are doing it by test you either do a Prof check (if the rating is still valid) or a Skills test (if it's expired) in both cases the Examiner signs the licence (If its a Prof Check within the last 3 months of validity he gives you 24 months from the expiry date, if it's before the 3 months it's 24 months from the date of the prof check)

In both cases the Examiner should complete a form and send it to the CAA.

EITHER the LPC-SPA for a Prof Check or the LST-SPA for a Skills test and in all cases send it to the CAA.

If the rating expired more than 5 years ago then you still do the Skills test but the Examiner doesn't sign the Licence. You send the form to the CAA with £64.

Also if it's 5 years + you complete an Oral test as part of the LST to cover the changes in regulations.

I hope this is now clear....ish

Lots of Love

Wibbly P

englishal
17th Jul 2002, 11:26
WITHIN the 3 months prior to expiry you present this to an Examiner and he will give you 24 months FROM THE EXPIRY.

WITHIN the last 12 months....so you could re-validate 1 day after the first year, and then not have to re-validate for almost 3 years...(assuming you fly 12 hours on this day, 6 as PIC, land and take off lots and fit an hour in with an instructor:))

Cheers
EA;)

Wibbly P
17th Jul 2002, 12:10
Oops that's right Al,

The 3 month bit is for Prof check only

RotorHorn
18th Jul 2002, 11:45
"We used to DREEEeeeam of 24 months..." (said in a monty python four yorkshire men kinda way).

Us fling-wing pilot johnny's have to do the proficiency check (LPC) EVERY 12 months whether we like it or not.

Did my £150's worth last week even though I'd flown 24 hours in the preceding 12 months....and I do recall signing a CAA form afterwards.