PDA

View Full Version : Vacating the runway

Romeo Romeo
15th Jul 2002, 22:30
I think I know the answer to this, but I've had some different answers from instructors I've asked, so I thought I might as well get the answer straight from the horse's mouth. After landing at a controlled airport, should you wait for an instruction (e.g. "Vacate next left") before vacating the runway? My guess at the answer is yes because you ATC lot don't want us private pilots driving round your airfield willy-nilly.

GoneWest
15th Jul 2002, 22:51
Opinion! Get off at the first available taxiway that is on the side of the runway you want. Do NOT turn onto an intersecting runway without an instruction from ATC.

Cross the "hold short" line before changing frequency and/or doing after landing checks.

professor yaffle
16th Jul 2002, 01:52
as an additional you are not runway vacated UNTIL you have crossed the holding point/hold short point

prof

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jul 2002, 07:09
Not sure which country you're in but in the UK there is no restriction which I know of to prevent you turning off on to another runway. Basically, just leave your runway by the first turn off you can safely manage.

Romeo Romeo
16th Jul 2002, 07:30
But what happens if turning off at the next exit means that I end up coming head-to-head with another aircraft? For example at Leeds when landing on runway 32 it would be quite easy for me to exit at the first exit past holding point D1 which would cause a problem if ATC were taxiing another aircraft along the Delta taxiway for departure on 32. Shouldn't taxiing at a controlled aerodrome be done under ATC control?

Yellow Monster
16th Jul 2002, 08:30
At a controlled airfield, if ATC don't want you to vacate at a particular point then the onus is on them to tell you that. If we tell you where to vacate and you don't think you can comply then please tell us asap so we can change the plan. In the absence of any instruction then try for the first possible exit. If you want to vacate somewhere non-standard, e.g not where light aircraft normally vacate but perhaps to the refuelling area, then give ATC warning that this is the plan.

Standard_Departure
16th Jul 2002, 09:12
But what happens if turning off at the next exit means that I end up coming head-to-head with another aircraft?

Look where you are going, at most airports you will be able to see the conflict before you turn.

Additionally, in the event of no specific instructions from ATC, a transmission like " AB-CDE is vacating left onto A1 taxiway" once you have decided where it is that you are going to vacate will give ATC a heads-up (just in-case).

:)

SID

FWA NATCA
16th Jul 2002, 21:30
Romeo,

When in doubt ASK! If the tower controller isn't busy you can ask while you are on final which way to turn off the runway, or upon completing landing roll ask.

Since we have several FBO's located at various parts of the airport, I've had pilots check on final and say that they are unfamiliar and parking at one of the ramps and ask which direction they should expect to turn off.

The whole conversation could go like this.

Tower, cessna 123, on a 5 mile final, unfamiliar, parking at Air Service. I'll respond, cessan 123 cleared to land runway 14, Air Service would be a left turn off the runway.

Like someone has already said, cross the hold short line clear of the runway, unless instructed to hold short of the taxiway, and NEVER CROSS ANOTHER RUNWAY UNLESS INSTRUCTED TO, (bad things can happen if you do).

Mike