PDA

View Full Version : Flights as Prizes

bertiethebadger
15th Jul 2002, 17:19
Can I offer a flight to somewhere as a prize in a charity raffle?

I am not CPL & worried about the fact that somebody ( the charity ) will be making money from my flying. I will be paying for the whole flight.

Are there any ways around it? ie, offer lunch somewhere as the prize & then take them in the aircraft?

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated as it's all in a good cause.

Thanks,

BtB

formationfoto
15th Jul 2002, 21:40
Can't remember the precise regs but the CAA does have a set of requirements for charity flights. There are hours on type and recency requirements. Might be worth checking out the CCA site and searching on charity flights.

Hairyplane
16th Jul 2002, 07:29
Hi BTB

FF is right - there are CAA requirements.

THere is no point in trying to think of a way around any Regs because 'at the death' - every pun intended, the arrangement will be investigated in the minutest detail.

THese Regs do not include the need for a CPL because you are not flying for hire or reward (on the understanding that the raffle organisers are not giving you anything at all).

THere have been instances in the past where raw PPL's - or those lacking in currency etc. have done this with tragic consequences. THe regs are therefore to protect the Gen Pub.

The lucky winner is entitled to be flown by a competent pilot.

You will find the CAA helpful on this. If you can't navigate your way through their website and find the Regs - drop them an EMail.

THere is nothing onerous involved.

Well done for offering your services - I hope the weather is good for you.

bookworm
16th Jul 2002, 09:37
The conditions are set out in the AIC on Charity Flights (http://www.ais.org.uk/Uk_aip/AIP/pdf/aic/4W020.PDF).

Wibbly P
17th Jul 2002, 11:06
Basic rule to charity flights is

No No No No No No No No

Use it as a rule of thumb and call the GA dept at the CAA for details.

vancouv
18th Jul 2002, 08:04
I was thinking about doing this, but it does seem quite complicated. I think you need 100 hours PIC on type, and can't land away or go more than 25 nm from your home airfield.

After chatting to my CFI, the conclusion was - don't do it unless you are 100% confidant you satisfy the requirements - any problems will bring big hassles.

newswatcher
18th Jul 2002, 12:14
Hope these help:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/244/gn24_advice_for_charities_and_fund_raisers.pdf

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/122/summary_of_public_transport.pdf

QDMQDMQDM
18th Jul 2002, 12:20
The question is not just charity flights, but passenger flights. Check how much third party liability insurance you have. If the person you kill (or who dies in your aeroplane, even if you aren't responsible) is a youngish professional with dependants it probably won't be enough. Then multiply by three if it's a four-seater. Most of my friends are youngish GPs with children and I only have £1m liability insurance. I'm reluctant to take them flying as they are worth much more than that and the last thing I want to leave to my estate is a major lawsuit.

Worth thinking about, especially when the passenger is someone you don't know who knows zilcho about flying.

The other thing is that most people's life insurance doesn't cover flying as a non-fare paying passenger.

Sad comment on the world today, but there you go. My advice -- avoid the charity flight.

QDM

bertiethebadger
19th Jul 2002, 12:58
Thanks for the info.

Given all the limitations, it's probably best to avoid it.

BtB