PDA

View Full Version : Violation of intimacy

Estreller
22nd Aug 2017, 23:41
Dear all ,

Sometimes when PIC of an Airbus A320 , I let the selection of the intercom ON , on my Audio Control Panel for situational awarness , in order to be aware of the various stage of the cabin ( preparation for T/O , descent , turbulence , emergencies , etc ). Should the cabin crew fell concerned about any violation of intimacy , should I feel guilty about this ?

Safe flights ,

Piltdown Man
23rd Aug 2017, 09:29
Not at all. You are fully entitled to use any system you see fit to help you gain an understanding of what is going on around you. Obviously, this must not interfere with your main focus so every now and again you have to be selective about your sources. What you don't do is humiliate or drop anyone in the poo when things are said that are of an intimate or personal nature. That is where adult discretion plays its part.

PM

john_tullamarine
23rd Aug 2017, 11:35
Takes me back a long way to a chuckle.

We all were good mates - cockpit and cabin crew - and we listened in routinely for the sensible reasons described previously.

At one point the cabin conversation took, shall we say, an interesting turn. My mate up front, taking the initiative, started with a very slowly increasing volume ... heavy breathing ... into the intercom.

After a while the penny dropped and the purser exclaimed, in a loud voice, "(name deleted) ... (naughty word deleted) ... off". Chuckles all round.

Oh well, we didn't really want any more coffees that day, anyway.

Seriously, though, discreet monitoring can reduce the incidence of those situations where the purser hangs on to whatever might be the problem for a bit longer than might be useful. The advance notice via monitoring can make the flight management side of things a bit easier for the cockpit.

B2N2
23rd Aug 2017, 18:00
As FO flying pax I'd always monitor the cabin.
Comm 1 ATC Comm 2 for 121.5 and monitor cabin.
Listen in on all PA's and to whatever is going on between the front and the back.
Nothing wrong with it.
They're at work, no expectation of privacy there.
Have caught complete BS PA announcements more then once.

Estreller
23rd Aug 2017, 23:13
Well , thanks everyone for you answers on this .
To Consol , yes it may be the language .

B2N2
24th Aug 2017, 01:31
Hmmm Estreller, you say you are the PIC of an A320. It may be language but you could say Captain. You might also know that intercom doesn't allow PAs and cabin calls to be heard. It's your first post too.....

Little pedantic there boss.