PDA

View Full Version : building up hours?

chrisdick
15th Jul 2002, 15:41
I am a twenty year old student at university in Edinburgh and have 52 hours on my ppl. I really want to build them up as cheaply and quickly as possible. I have been told America is the best place to do this. Can anyone tell me how I should go about doing this? is it worth while?
Thanx very much,
Chris Dick

AerBabe
15th Jul 2002, 17:45
Flying in Canada is relatively cheap too, and it's a much nicer country ;)

Evo7
15th Jul 2002, 17:47
I think that South Africa is the really cheap place at the moment - but I've got to agree with AerBabe about Canada... :)

A and C
16th Jul 2002, 11:20
I,m in the postion to help hoursbuilders it,s just a pity that you are the wrong end of the UK to be able to take advantage.

[email protected]

ETOPS773
16th Jul 2002, 11:32
Do you need a special visa / permit to hour build in the USA / Canada???

AerBabe
16th Jul 2002, 15:49
Not if you're only going for a 'holiday' ;)

The schools should be able to help you out with enquiries. Check out this (http://www.nmtair.com/) place. If you go, take me in your suitcase! :cool:

ETOPS773
16th Jul 2002, 15:56
I see..but my GPS,headset and flying stuff kinda would expose me ..as an anorack??
And why would you want to go in my suitcase?? would be more comfortable sitting on my lap??? :p
And haven`t virgin got those double beds....:cool:

Wireless
18th Jul 2002, 18:16
Chris

When I had 50 hours on my PPL, I joined a flying group that flew a Luton Minor. This aircraft is a single seat tailwheel type with a 1600cc VW engine. The performance was crap and I had the p£ss taken out of me a lot but I was the last one laughing as it cost £10/hour (Wet) to fly. For every hour one of those Archer Pilots flew, I was flying 10. I paid £300 for a share and £8 a month towards the hanger. There were 10 in the group.

It may be worth looking around your local airfields for any PFA single seater types, and asking if any are group run. It is much better than going off to the States as you will always have a cheap plane to fly all year round.

Bill

I have control
18th Jul 2002, 18:45
I'm with Wireless on this one, I bought a share in a Cub and flew from Cumbernauld for £25 an hour.

The PFA have an East of Scotland Strut based in the Edinbugh area, you should be able to get a hold of them through the PFA website, and I'm sure they will be able to help you get more info/contacts about getting into group flying.

G - HIGH
18th Jul 2002, 20:43
A and C,

I live in Reading and need to build some hours cheaply too. If you operate anywhere near this part of the country, I'd be interested in some budgie hours!

If so, could you drop us an email?

G-High

p.s. Any chance some of you people could list any of these a/c your flying/flew so cheaply? I'm also looking for a part share too...

A and C
19th Jul 2002, 07:51
check your email !

LowNSlow
19th Jul 2002, 11:51
chrisdick and G-HIGH, check out the PFA website as suggested by wireless and instead of getting a decent car get a cheapo and something like a FRED for a couple or 3 thousand if you can't find a group. Flying at it's cheapest and as the object of the exercise is to build hours rather than get somewhere, the 60 kt cruise won't be an issue.

As a bonus the open cockpit environment will be the best excuse you can have to get a Biggles jacket with silk scarf. :cool: You will also develop great weather recognition skills. If you don't develop the weather recognition skills you will have a first hand understanding of the words "cold" and "wet". :D :D

G - HIGH
19th Jul 2002, 18:10
LowNslow, Cheers for the info. You've got me interested in this 'FRED'. I can't find any info on the dam thing! Can you give me some more details about this cheap to run a/c.

I can just image me storming away at 60kts!! :o) Argh well, at least it'll build up the hours eh!

Cheers
G-High

Wireless
20th Jul 2002, 08:57
Yeah, I got those wet 'n' cold skills :D

A fred is like a larger version of a Luton Minor. It is a parasol winged monoplane. If it flies like a Luton then it is very docile and benign. Another good cheapy is an Evans VP1 (Volksplane). Again usually VW 1600 powered. There are more expensive VW engined single seaters such as the Taylor Monoplane or Druine Turbulent. These can cost around £6500 though. An Evans, Luton Minor or Fred can be had for around £3 - £4k.

You can take these little aircraft over distances but it will require more fuel stops and it will take longer. But that is the name of the game. I took a Luton Minor to Calais from Fenland. I refulled at Southend. That's where my cold 'n' wet skills were honed;)

Bill

juggernaut
20th Jul 2002, 16:52
If you live in Edinburgh try the Scottish Aero Club at Perth, there are over 60 PFA group aircraft there and also the flying club have a Gazelle (like a Kitfox but nicer) for ppl hire for£59 an hour. Checkout there website.