View Full Version : Peacetime Aerial Combat Rules

newt
17th Aug 2017, 07:24
Is there anyone who is current fast jet qualified can update me on the rules? It's just that the USAF seem to be doing it right over the top of Norwich at about 5000'!!! In my day this was illegal so before I complain I would like to be updated!

melmothtw
17th Aug 2017, 07:26
...so before I complain...

This should be fun...

sharpend
17th Aug 2017, 07:38
I remember, a very long time ago, in a tail-chase over Norwich, I noted that the mach meter read M1.1. Ooops. Obviously it was faulty. :)

Cazalet33
17th Aug 2017, 08:05
The locals can count the number of times that has happened, on the six fingers of one hand.

Pontius Navigator
17th Aug 2017, 08:27
There is an AIAA over south Lincolnshire and the Wash. There is an MTA over north Norfolk that overlaps part of the AIAA.

Good luck on your complaint.

Legalapproach
17th Aug 2017, 08:47
Why would you complain? Was the most interesting thing going on in (or over) Norwich yesterday.

Davef68
17th Aug 2017, 08:54
Something was going on over Peterborugh yesterday as well

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
17th Aug 2017, 09:02
The locals can count the number of times that has happened, on the six fingers of one hand.

Great comment...deserves a high-six. :-)

At Colt it was a common occurrence to hear the f-15s playing over-head. L-mil generally had them operate down to FL100 to help Colt departures out; in reality FL40 would have been fine as the jags didn't (couldn't) get any height on for at least 20miles :-)

Why complain though? Doing no harm.

Bob Viking
17th Aug 2017, 09:02
Assuming the USAF work to U.K. Rules (which are very similar to Fighting Edge) the minimum height would be 5000'. Standard airmanship dictates that you remain clear of active airfields, built up areas, cloud, controlled airspace and danger areas (unless you're booked into it).

It would seem odd to cr@p on your own doorstep in this regard since they are local and probably know better.

More importantly, were they any good?

BV

just another jocky
17th Aug 2017, 10:08
Notoriously easy to stand on the ground, look up at a slant angle and believe an aircraft is 'overhead' when it is actually a few miles away.

VinRouge
17th Aug 2017, 10:15
Notoriously easy to stand on the ground, look up at a slant angle and believe an aircraft is 'overhead' when it is actually a few miles away.

Unless you are spotting on www.adsbexchange.com

newt
17th Aug 2017, 10:36
BV, they were not very good and had to knock it off before a kill was achieved! Disappeared to the north! My concern is not the noise as I enjoy watching but they are definitely right over the top of Norwich!

Pontius Navigator
17th Aug 2017, 11:53
If they were below 245 then they were not in the MTA.

nipva
17th Aug 2017, 12:37
In my day (70s/80s) minimum height was 10000' in UK and 5000' in RAFG with no restriction on type of airspace as long as it wasn't conrtrolled.

Anyhow, Newt, why the complaint? I thought that you were a Scottish resident.

212man
17th Aug 2017, 13:03
Peacetime Aerial Combat Rules Sounds like an oxymoron to me!

sycamore
17th Aug 2017, 13:35
They were just trying to join formation,over a known feature...

Flap62
17th Aug 2017, 13:49
I'm sure the fella who planted an F-15 in a Lincolnshire field two years ago following a flat spin after mishandling during combat could tell you why it's not a good idea to carry out ACM over a city!

Pontius Navigator
17th Aug 2017, 15:14
Flaps, Oct 14, 3 years almost.

Fly26
17th Aug 2017, 15:20
Yes I would complain, 5000' is simply too high :ok:

newt
17th Aug 2017, 18:05
In my day (70s/80s) minimum height was 10000' in UK and 5000' in RAFG with no restriction on type of airspace as long as it wasn't conrtrolled.

Anyhow, Newt, why the complaint? I thought that you were a Scottish resident.

I am a Norfolk resident too!!

ex-fast-jets
17th Aug 2017, 18:40
I doubt that you ever did anything so outrageous during your time, newt!!

Mind you, if two Lightnings had done the same thing over Norwich - that far from Coltishall - by the time you had heard them and looked up to see them, they would have been out of fuel and going home.

My memory seems to recall many a grump from serving pilots about "retired officers" complaining about low-level flying aircraft and just about anything else they could think of.

I was delighted to see and hear the Lancaster flying over my house a few days ago - the merlins sounded great to me, so it is sad to hear about their grounding.

But do let us know how your complaint goes - and, as a palliative, invite them to come and do some ACT over my house. I would love to see/hear them. We get very little worth watching.

heights good
17th Aug 2017, 21:32
Newt - I am a tad perflexed, why do you want to complain, danger or breaking a rule?

If its danger then rules are irrelevant surely?

If its rules then ATC and HUD tapes will address that issue.

Just a thought...

newt
18th Aug 2017, 22:21
Because it's a windup and you all fell for it lol

Pontius Navigator
19th Aug 2017, 07:09
I admit I once complained about a pair of Jaguar doing manoeuvres at low level over the town. Not because the annoyed me but it was a case of shatting on the locals whose goodwill they needed. I rang Slops at Lossie who said please file, they are NOT ours.

Danny42C
19th Aug 2017, 12:40
More years ago than I care to remember, we had an Auxiliary pilot, Hector W****, a teacher in Scarborough, who used occasionally to beat up the town at a weekend with a Vampire - then write to the local rag next week to complain about low-flying RAF aircraft. Quite some time before the Editor tumbled to the spoof, apparently !

Generally, the populace (who had vivid memories of WWII and hit-and-run raiders) treated these displays indulgently.

Happy days that will never return.
!

D.

BEagle
19th Aug 2017, 13:14

You little bugger, you don't change ;) !!

salad-dodger
19th Aug 2017, 14:09

Of course it was. Either that or you realised you were looking a lot like a d1ckhead and needed a way out.

jonw66
19th Aug 2017, 18:59
Of course it was. Either that or you realised you were looking a lot like a d1ckhead and needed a way out.

Have you found a way out yet

newt
20th Aug 2017, 08:01
It certainly was a wind up brought about by the six prats sitting next to me outside the pub who were complaining about the noise! It made me think that I had not put anything on Prune for ages ! Hence the wind up! And it worked lol

heights good
20th Aug 2017, 12:06
It certainly was a wind up brought about by the six prats sitting next to me outside the pub who were complaining about the noise! It made me think that I had not put anything on Prune for ages ! Hence the wind up! And it worked lol

Well, so long as you are happy... 🙄

Minnie Burner
20th Aug 2017, 13:03
Thought you were still banned from the whole of East Anglia, Newt.

newt
20th Aug 2017, 18:57
Only Honington as I recall!😂😂😂

Wrathmonk
20th Aug 2017, 20:12
lol

Christ, I'm surprised that BEagle didn't rip into you for that! Text speak, yoof speak blah blah blah - not once, but twice. ;)