PDA

View Full Version : Single-pilot flight deck for commercial operations?

Homsap
6th Aug 2017, 18:16
I was wondering what other airline pilots think about the following:

"A big new European research programme has begun to look at the possibility of a single-pilot flight deck for commercial operations.

The project is called ACROSS (‘Advanced Cockpit for Reduction of StreSs and workload’). Funded by the European Commission and others to the tune of €30 million, it brings together a consortium of 35 industry and research partners".

I just wondered if this project has any merit, how likely we could go single crew on comercial operations, is it worth £30 million of european funding, the respients are mostly consultants, academics, avionic manufaturers and aircraft manufacturers. I understand a similar project is ongoing in the united states.

Piltdown Man
6th Aug 2017, 20:17
No problem whatsoever. Who will be the first to say we have knocked 23p off the cost of your flight because we have got rid of one of those lazy, unnecessary, expensive pilots? And when little Susan or Robert pitches up for their first flight as a single pilot, will anyone tell the punters? The passengers will save bugger all, the airlines will save a few quid and the greedy, life sapping blood suckers of the likes of MOL will grow richer. But there's no doubt that his Teflon coated shoulders will bear no blame for any unfortunate events directly resulting from such operations. And how much beyond PR is that tight fist's company investing in the research into this possiblity? ...erm, let me guess.

Homsap
7th Aug 2017, 12:31
IGh ......... Thank you for your imformative post, I wasn't aware of the studies in 78 and 81, I read them when I have time. It's interesting the timing just as CRM was begining to be phased in, following the IATA conference in Istabul in 1976 and and Eight Edition ICAO Annex 1.

I am stunned that the EU would even fund this project, it flags up all sort of issues, how would single crew captain gain experience through being a co-pilot, how much longer will the turnaround take, what if the captain needed the toilt, how could you possibly reach all the CBs, how would you monitor levels of arrousal (sleep and incapacitation, this would also make it impossible to cross check actions which is a fundamental, the list is endless and finally what if there was a pilot with a psychiatric problem as in Germanwings.

I'm sure Simon Calder, the travel correspondent, known for his view that pilots are overpaid, will bang on about the benefits to pax, without any consideration.

And finally, how much would this all cost, can anyone give a breakdown in terms of pilots salaries, fuel, land/ navigation charges, aircraft cost and maintence. I just can see there would be any significant saving. It all to similar to driverless cars.

Denti
7th Aug 2017, 13:25
Isn't the study mainly about single pilot cruise? Which relates to flying ultra longhaul with just two pilots. Both in their seats for take off and landing, after that only one in the flightdeck and the other in the crewrest assumed to be asleep.

Homsap
7th Aug 2017, 15:57
Denti.... my impression was it was for the whole flight, even so I not sure I would be happy for a single pilot in the cruise. In the case of the Air France A330 accident, two pilots couldn't cope and even when the captain was called onto the flight deck, having been resting in a bunk, he couldn't wotk out what was happening. I think the study looks into if in the event of incapcitation, a ground based pilot would fly the aircraft. I think for short haul there is never any justification to leave the flight deck for a variety of reasons.

Denti
7th Aug 2017, 16:08
Well, if two couldn't cope and the third didn't help either, why not just save the effort to employ them in the first place?

Yes, that is tongue in cheek. But apparently there are actually serious persons that come to that conclusion.

Ground based pilots are all the rage, and every terrorists wet dream. Don't even need to be on the same continent, simply hack into the link (and yes, every link is hackable) and do whatever you like. I seriously doubt it will happen anytime soon, but then, studies are mostly there to provide employment for some people that probably didn't find a job at a real company.

B737C525
8th Aug 2017, 07:49
There are already many single-pilot commercial operations being done in single-pilot certified business jets and turboprops. Yes, it's slightly harder work, especially in terminal airspace and on the ground, but it's by no means impossible or remarkable. At its best, I've found it very rewarding and enjoyable.

The fact that in the end, money drives everything in today's aviation, suggests to me that single-pilot airline operations are likely to come eventually, provided that someone doesn't come up with a comprehensive argument built around the high frequency of gastro-related incapacitation.

I would definitely prefer to fly alone than with the least competent colleagues I've encountered, though they make a very small percentage of all those I've worked with.