PDA

View Full Version : Glorious Weekend

javelin
14th Jul 2002, 21:03
OK, what have you been up to ? I spent a wonderful day yesterday at Netherthorpe and enjoyed their 'At Home Day' - great spirit, excellent displays and fun was had by all. Woke up this morning and just had to fly somewhere so I went to Northrepps - another splendid day out, the Crevettes were divine, some good banter was had, liked the Bird Dog (photo emailed to Chris !) and I flew over my sisters house on the way back - Finally summer is here :D :D :D

propjockey
14th Jul 2002, 21:58
Yeah! great weather!

flew my regular saturday morning lesson - EGPK - Local - P/UT for Ex 6i and 6ii

no probs with that so next lesson is time to move on!

really enjoying this!

flew NW from Prestwick up the Clyde to Kyles of Bute and around the Firth of Clyde. Nice weather and good vis. Makes a change from the normal Clyde weather!

found a Trident submarine on the surface transiting the narrows - ah takes me back to my navy days! poor ******s have to sail saturday morning!

solo draws nearer :D

:eek:

regards

treadigraph
14th Jul 2002, 22:29
Flying Legends - faaantastic! Warm weather, warbirds, wonderful! Did I say warm? Red face peering at me from the mirror suggests ****** hot!

Well done everybody for a great show!

Ace Rimmer
15th Jul 2002, 07:01
Wasn't it just, Mrs R and I jumped into the Mr Piper's 28th variety of aerial conveyance and headed for Le2K only blot on the landscape a gear in transit light that took some some encouragement before it would go out.

Other than that just really great flying weather, a fair old breeze up the chuff from VRP N to LFAT, The GPS revealed a GS of 174kts - which made getting down to circut height interesting..
Bit of a cycle around town, an Omlette and chips at L'Escale and then home...at warp factor 10 (for an Arrer anyway) GS170 at 4,000 from Lydd to Shoreham. It seems such a long time since there's been any decent wx at the weekend (Pprune fly in back at the beginning of June as I recall). Lovely again this morning too damn nice to be at Rimmer News that's for sure.

Evo7
15th Jul 2002, 07:17
Escaped Goodwood in between Festival of Speed traffic, landed away at Shoreham and then came back in time for the Red Arrows to do their stuff... :) :)

Who has control?
15th Jul 2002, 11:18
Spent a very pleasant hour on saturday PM exploring between Heathrow & Luton TMA, went as far west as Princes Risborough along the edge of the Chilterns.

sennadog
15th Jul 2002, 11:24
I'm at that annoying stage just waiting to do my Skills Test so I decided to have a go at Gliding yesterday - mega fun!

I think I'll always prefer Powered Flight but it is very entertaining and also very cheap!

:D

Aussie Andy
15th Jul 2002, 12:27
Please God let it last until next Sunday - hoping to take the kids on a surprise day out at the seaside (Sandown, IoW)..!

Who has control?
15th Jul 2002, 12:46
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the forecast for the SE is rain on tuesday & wednesday as a front passes through, but improving for thursday onwards. I have my fingers crossed for thursday.

Chimbu chuckles
15th Jul 2002, 12:52
Well...only 6 more days to Autumn...(then 14 until winter and just another 10months to wait for next summer) then hey guys?:D

Chuckles.

Evo7
15th Jul 2002, 12:55
9 months of bad weather and then it is winter.... :(

pulse1
15th Jul 2002, 13:21
Having sweated over yesterday's weather all week for Mrs P's first flight with me for many years, we thoroughly enjoyed a great trip. Even when the GPS packed in half way there, the viz. was so good it didn't worry her (or me!).
She was great at spotting other aircraft too. With a good gliding day at Nympsfield, and an air display at Kemble, that was extremely useful.

On the return trip to EGHH, it was the first time for a year or more when the cloud base wasn't the deciding factor on my cruising altitude. I just went up until Mrs P started to complain that she was getting cold.
:)

Ace Rimmer
15th Jul 2002, 15:13
Yep me too Andy, one of MrsRs oppos has a hen weekend thingy next Sat. and I'm supposed to be taking the blushing bride for a quick fly round the patch as part of the proceedings.

I really don't want to miss the plaudits of a horde of steaming hen weekend girlies when I return their victim to the fold after a successful aviation attempt... but then I always was a shallow git.

maggioneato
15th Jul 2002, 15:18
Flying Legends at Duxford, superb show.Don't think summer has quite arrived yet. Had to cancel today due to fog.Plan to visit IOM Thursday, please let it be nice.:D

Aussie Andy
15th Jul 2002, 17:50
Ace - need any help!? ;)

rex
15th Jul 2002, 19:30
Italian wedding Saturday. Duxford, flew in to Flying Legends on Sunday.

I am completely kn$%^&$$£%d.

REX:D

Lowtimer
16th Jul 2002, 11:15
A lovely weekend -
- Pitts aerobatics lesson on Saturday, followed by a trial whizz in the Yak I'm buying into
- Another, and much less embarrassing, Pitts aerobatics lesson on Sunday
- Yesterday (Monday) a very pleasant flight as SLF from LCY to Edinburgh via ScotAir Dornier 328 - since it was such a clear day I took a couple of half-mils with me, and with an east facing view was able to follow the route all the way to the Scottish borders where it went solid undercast.
- Also saw the Lufthansa Ju-52 plying its trade in and out of London City - bet there hasn't been one of those working on public transport out of London for about 65 years!

Rallye Driver
16th Jul 2002, 11:30
What a beautiful day on Sunday, wind forecast as calm at 2000 feet, so just a case of drawing a line on the map and flying it.

Pleasant two hour trip from North Weald via BNN and CPT to Exeter, where we had to give way on long final to a fast approaching RAF Jaguar.

Then on to Dunkeswell for lunch. Dunkeswell to Old Sarum - with a small diversion to overfly the farm where I was brought up about 10 miles west of Salisbury.

Nice cold drink and an interesting chat with a chap building some strange species of amphibian in one of the hangars at OS, then back to North Weald.

Brilliant visibility, thoroughly enjoyable day, and another 4.5 hours on the Pup. :D :D :D

RD

Wily Coyote
16th Jul 2002, 14:57
First solo! :D

Wily

camaro
16th Jul 2002, 15:22
Javelin

As one of the organisers of Saturday's event at Netherthorpe - thanks for the positive comments.

6 months hard work went into arranging everything.

Thanks to all who helped on the day - you know who you are:cool:

Thanks also to:

Charlie Brown - Spitfire MkVb
Mark Jeffries - Yak 11
BBMF - Dakota
Steve Carver - Pitts S2S
Gary Ferriman - Magister
Nick Riddin - Isaacs Fury
Mick Lee - Glider Aeros
Colin Hutson - Cassutt Racer
Alistair Newall - Zlin 526

Camaro:)

ps - apologies if I've missed anyone

AerBabe
16th Jul 2002, 15:27
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on Saturday, and the Triumph Sports Six Club International Weekend on Sunday. :)

What a terrible shame the glorious weather over the weekend saw a few fatalities though :(

WeatherJinx
16th Jul 2002, 15:51
Wily

Congratulations on your 1st solo!

WxJx participated in a lovely little fly-in at Rochester on Sunday - primarily for Robins and Jodels, but that didn't stop others including myself tagging along.

Very pleasant people (even provided a shuttlebus from the parking stands to the tower), free coffee and croissants and lots of interesting aviation bric-a-brac stalls plying their wares.

Nice to see a well-organised, committed aviataion community who live in harmony with the majority of their neighbours and who have fought (and so far staved off) their greedy local council who have a money-motivated desire to shut them down. Excellent day, even though I did have to do my first go-around in anger on arrival!:eek:

Jx:cool:

treadigraph
16th Jul 2002, 15:51
Aerbabe, aren't Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and any member of the Triumph Sports Six family one and the same thing?

Only kidding, used to love driving (and fixing) Heralds, Spitfires, etc...

Now if only I could fly them as well...

propjockey
16th Jul 2002, 17:24
Congrats Wily!

:cool:

Won't be far behind you hopefully!

what you flying and where?

regards

Simon

Wily Coyote
16th Jul 2002, 18:48
Propjockey/WeatherJinx, thanx!

Flying Robin 200's with Multiflight at Leeds/Bradford.

What a beautiful day for a first solo, especially at 8pm with a low sun and a few fluffy little clouds. Good for the soul, moments like that... :cool:

No wind at all, however, so high ground speed. Therefore not my smoothest landing! :D

Wily

AerBabe
16th Jul 2002, 20:18
Hey, well done Wily! Thought there might be a few first solos this weekend :) Oooh, I'm all excited for you! :D

PPRuNe Towers
16th Jul 2002, 23:51
An absolute cracker of a weekend. Arrived back on Saturday from the Sandpit and celebrated the next day at Towers South (Waites Farm). Defied gravity with half an hour joyful DH 82-ing followed by an hour in the Aeronca - bliss:D :D :D

propjockey
17th Jul 2002, 06:58
:D

Great Wily

Also fly the Robin HR200 too :cool:

great fun!

well done!

won't be far behind I hope - try and beat the winter first :)

regards

Simon

SimJock
17th Jul 2002, 07:08
I decided to visit Rochester also as I hadn't been there before.

Found out about the fly in when I rang for PPR. Didn't mind me turning up in a spam can so a lovely few hours were had.

Made me wonder why I bother calling London Information though, too busy and no information !