PDA

View Full Version : Lundy Island Fly-In

QDMQDMQDM
14th Jul 2002, 20:02
Today the Devon Strut of the PFA had 59 aircraft into the Lundy fly-in, which is a record by a long way. As far as I know everyone got off safely which is a relief as it is rather a short, rough strip with cliffs at both ends. The weather was glorious, the island was marvellous and the scenery wonderful.

Boy, flying is GOOD.

QDM

LowNSlow
15th Jul 2002, 04:16
Sounds like a perfect job for a Supercub QDM x 3 :D :D.

But would knowing your AoA have helped :D :D :D

Hairyplane
15th Jul 2002, 09:05
Hi QDMx3

I set off for Lundy 3 or 4 years ago in my Grob 109b but bottled out in the flare. It looked far too rough.

Has it been improved since?

I am certain that Pilot/ Flyer or TP Magazine would be delighted to print a feature. DO you have lots of pictures?

For the right aircraft (not a Grob!) I am sure that this destination is now a must.

I reckon my Super Stol Messenger (27mph stall) should be OK?

More info please!

QDMQDMQDM
15th Jul 2002, 09:16
But would knowing your AoA have helped

Hi Lownslow,

It would have been nice as the (highly inaccurate) ASI was flicking down around 40-45mph to be able to glance slightly to my left and see the AOA was sitting comfortably enough above the stall . ;) And later in the day it might have been useful as I went in (as a passenger, I hasten to add) in a Cub to one of the strips here which is about 250m, one way, uphill, at the bottom of a valley and involves coming over the opposite ridge at zero feet, following the hill down to the two trees then left 45 degrees, slip off the last twenty feet, watch out for cars on the road and dump it just over the hedge. It'll be a while before I'm doing that one on my own!

Of course you don't need an AoA, but I think it's useful information.

:)

QDM

QDMQDMQDM
15th Jul 2002, 09:42
Hairyplane,

There were all kinds in there yesterday and I'm sure you'd be fine. One problem came when someone tried to land downwind on 06 and then a number of people followed. That end is very rough and at the end of the rough bit the white markers stop, so people then thought they had run out of strip, but hadn't.

The best way to come in is 24, assuming the wind is OK, drop it just over the stone wall and to the left of the big patch of rushes, all of which are well before the first white markers (now stones, which have replaced the posts). Wind indication will come from the flag on the church, if it's flying. Landing fee £10 + £3.50 per passenger, PPR obviously.

The Grob would have got in OK, but getting out might have been trickier. Come to the fly-in next year -- keep an eye on www.devonstrut.co.uk

QDM