PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want to buy some Trevor Thom Books?

sennadog
13th Jul 2002, 17:17
Just kidding! Quick brag to say I've finally passed all of my PPL exams and I have to say the worst one was the RT Oral - I was sweating buckets!

As for the Thom books, there are more than enough gaps in my knowledgs for me to hang on to them....

So then, some general questions that have been bugging me....

1) If I was flying as PIC with another pilot in the right hand seat who has an IMC and I inadvertently got into some major IMC weather - could he take over from the right seat (if I felt unable to continue safely) or would I continue as PIC. I'm interested in the legal aspects rather than the personal issues.

2) My belief, without any first hand knowledge is that Gliding will definitely improve my general flying skills post PPL in that use of the rudder, speed/distance judgement will improve and in the hopefully unlikely event of a fan stop I will be far better at setting up the aircraft for the glide and forced landing. What do you think?

3) Just say that a PPL had to take over in the event of a hijack on an airliner (every PPLs fantasy I reckon:D ) due to pilot incapacitation. Would any hours be loggable if obviously he/she doesn't have a type rating?

4) If a PPL had an Instructors Rating and owned a FTO where does this leave the ruling about not being able to derive any monetary benefit from the Rating?:confused:

5) I'm not considering this one so don't worry. BUT I think stiknruda mentioned that he has taken dogs in a light aircraft with him in the past. Can you put them in the seat and strap them in or how does it work?

6) Can you do the equivalent of a MATZ penetration in the US or is it a big NO NO due to recent events?

For the rest of you who managed to get up today and do some real flying instead of thinking about it - I hope you had a good one!

Happy flying, Sennadog.:D

Fly Stimulator
14th Jul 2002, 18:07
sennadog, re your question 5: you're not the only flying canine. Here's one of our club members after another successful circuit session:

http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/gallery/dogpilot.jpg

tacpot
14th Jul 2002, 21:09
RE: Question 4) "If a PPL had an Instructors Rating and owned a FTO where does this leave the ruling about not being able to derive any monetary benefit from the Rating? "

Without a CPL you cannot be paid for your flying. As FTO owner you can be paid a reasonable sum (i.e. costs plus an element of profit) for the hire of your aircraft, and for the flying of other instructors who hold a CPL and work for you (but not for any instructors who do not hold a CPL including yourself).

There is actually nothing about the Instructors rating that says you cannot derive monitary benefit from the license, and nothing that says you can. It is more the case that only the CPL allows you to be paid (or receive monetary benefit, if you like) for your flying. A PPL + FI(A) cannot be paid for their flying.

If you try to answer question 5) yourself, please invite me along - this I gotta see:)

And congrats on getting all the Exams out the way. I still have nightmares about the RT oral and I did mine 20 years ago!

Best wishes for the Skill Test.

distaff_beancounter
14th Jul 2002, 21:24
sennadog I think that I have previously come across a possible answer to one of your questions:-

1) A pilot in the RHS, who holds either an IMC rating or a full IR, cannot legaly fly on intruments in IMC, UNLESS:-

Either, the aircraft has a FULL duplicate set of instruments & navaids, in front of the RHS.

OR, he also holds an intructor's rating

I understand the logic to be, that it is dangerous, for the pilot in the RHS, to try on fly on intruments that are only in front of the LHS, because of the parrallax due to the offset line of sight. Instructors can, as they have been trained to allow for this.

Evo7
15th Jul 2002, 07:25
Well done mate - almost there myself (just RT practical to go). I'm planning on finding out about number (2) in a month or so... :)

As to the logging hours one, I think the answer is no...

sennadog
15th Jul 2002, 09:36
Evo7. I tried the gliding idea out yesterday down at Storrington - it rocks!

You have to use the rudder and aileron at the same time otherwise you end up with heaps of yaw and it's the weirdest experience gliding along without the sound of an engine!:eek:

I was only up for about half an hour as the thermals weren't playing but it was heaps of fun.

The lessons I learnt:

1) If you are flying a powered aircraft look out for flat bottomed Cu as this is where the gliders hang out - just a point that will help my situational awareness in future.

2) The glide ratio on these things is amazing but already I feel a lot more confident about PFLs. You have more time than you think to get things set up for the PFL instead of the flapping that I usually get into!

3) It's no big deal landing in a field!

4) Gliders tend to fly with a lot less separation than powered flight which again will help with situational awareness.

I've yet to see if there are any benefits to my flying but it will be interesting to see if there is.

Quick question to the more knowledgeable......

How many hours or what type of flying experience should I have before I consider doing the Tug flying course (sorry, I don't know what the correct term is) for towing Gliders?

Anyway, it's mucho fun and I recommend it to anyone and at £60 for a trial lesson and around £20 per hour it's some cheap supplementary flying.

:D :D :D :D :D

Fly Stimulator. What's the best method for getting a good seal with the Headset? Ear flaps up or down? :D Also, does he have any problems with the PTT - I would think that claws aren't too easy with this operation?

Evo7
15th Jul 2002, 09:39
Cool - that's the same place that I was planning on going to.... :)

Hersham Boy
15th Jul 2002, 10:23
Well done, sennadog... I'm having to retake 2 'cos I've dragged them out for too long. That sux.

Fly Stimulator - is your friend also flying from Redhill? Looks like one of the Shadows that eminate from the SW corner?

Hersh

Fly Stimulator
15th Jul 2002, 10:56
Hersham Boy : Yes, he flies from the SE corner at Redhill. There are enough trees around there to meet his requirements.

sennadog : Ears up and over the cans is considered the most stylish in doggy circles. The Paw To Talk button doesn't seem to be a problem, and his RT is better than some that you hear!

sennadog
15th Jul 2002, 11:17
Paw to Talk............:D. Good one! Yes, I've heard him using the RT although I believe that some of his phraseology is non-standard. There's hope yet for Senna and Jenson in the Katana.

One question though. Did he take the Human Factors exam or was he asked to sit the Canine version?:confused:

Fly Stimulator
15th Jul 2002, 12:38
Well spotted - the CAA (Canine Aviation Authority) syllabus does differ in that respect.

Grim Reaper 14
15th Jul 2002, 13:49
Re Q.3, were you after a type rating at the same time?!?!?!;)

sennadog
15th Jul 2002, 15:49
Hehe. No but I can't be the only person who has thought about it!

:D

Hersham Boy
15th Jul 2002, 16:23
Wot - no cracks about dog-fighting?

stiknruda
15th Jul 2002, 17:17
Senna

Took my 8 wk old pup home in the aeroplane - he was sedated and sat in a doggy transport box.

When he was a couple of years old and 40 kilos used to put him in the back of the Seneca (take out the rear two seat) and tied his collar to the cargo lashing points.

He was pretty cool about the whole thing but have read that dogs' ears are pretty sensitive to pressure change therefore used to climb out quite shallowly and IIRC never exceeded 3,500'.

Only concern at the time was injury to him if I screwed up a landing.

Last time he flew was in a 747!

Stik

sennadog
16th Jul 2002, 11:36
stiknruda. Cheers for the information. I'm not really considering it that seriously at least not until I'm considerably more experienced and even then, not unless I have a good reason to. One of my Ridgies would be quite cool about it as he's very laid back but the other one would be too interested in what's going on so he'd be a bit of a liability I think.

I might see if the FTO I'm with will allow me to put Senna in the cockpit on the ground as it would make a great photo like Fly Stimulator has done.:D