PDA

View Full Version : Taking Airband Scanners to the USA

Ian_Wannabe
13th Jul 2002, 12:34
Hey hey,
I may have the wrong forum for this so I apoligise in advance.

I want to take my airband scanner with me when I go to the USA. However, I'm a bit concerned that customs may take it off me whilst going through the airports as there are laws in some countries which by posessing a scanner is breaking the law. Not sure about the USA though.

Does anyone have any information or experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

:D Happy Landings :D

Ian

mattpilot
13th Jul 2002, 15:43
its not illegal to have a scanner here - afaik, you can even share the content with others (unlike in the UK or wherever i heard that). heck, they even transmit the aviation freq. on the net :)

But i wouldn't take one to the airport/plane. At least not in my carry-on. They'd probably assume your a terrorist trying to listen to the plane your flying on trying to figure out when to hijack or something (i know it sounds wild, but hey ;)).

Intruder
13th Jul 2002, 16:56
Police band scanners are illegal for mobile use in some areas, but I know of no place where air band scanners are illegal.

boeingbus2002
14th Jul 2002, 15:35
Scanners in the states are cheap!

Also United used to have on Ch9 on the IFE, the flight radio, so you could hear the pilots/ATC conversations. Not too sure if this stopped now due to 9/11.

FWA NATCA
15th Jul 2002, 22:25
Ian,

Bring your scanner to the US, but put it in your checked in luggage instead of your carry on. Many people listen to ATC, police and fire bands in the US. I work with a controller that listens to the trains that pass by our airport on his scanner while he is on break.

Mike

knobbygb
17th Jul 2002, 12:51
I had my scanner examined by security at LGA about a week after Sept. 11th. (it was in checked baggage but they searched this too). They were just concerned that it actually worked, which they made me demonstrate - problem was I didn't know any frequencies so spent ages messing about and feeling like an idiot with everyone watching.
Since then I've sat in airport terminals listening to it on several occasions without question, in US and Europe.

DavidLucas2002
17th Jul 2002, 14:02
Hi I live in London a flew to the US and I had my scanner in my pocket the metal dector things picked it up and the people at the detcor asked what it was and i just said its a scanner etc they told me to wait they asked some one and said i can take on on the plane as long as i do not turn it on ,on the aircraft this was at London Heathrow :D

Ian_Wannabe
17th Jul 2002, 22:28
Thanks for the posts everyone!

Ian

mr.cool
18th Jul 2002, 14:21
While we are on this topic can anyone advise on where you get scanners? - never seen them advertised in any of the pilot magazines.

mr.cool
18th Jul 2002, 19:25
UK. Apologies for not stating where from. So its TransAir is it? - do you know the 3 locations? - can you order online? - Was thinking about mobile airband. Thanks in advance for any further advice.

Airbanda
18th Jul 2002, 22:01
Historicaly the US has been much more liberal than the UK. Though the UK practice of not enforcing the law against airband scannerists has eased the position at this end. Not clear if the Cyber Electronic Security Act presently before Congress, and causing some angst amongst US scannerists, will affect that.

As regards Mr cools post, he must read differnt pilot mags to me as Transair inserts are often in pilot and others often advertise including Harry Mendelsohn on the back page.

IMHO the best scanners for pure airband are the Yupiteru VP125/225. Not sure if they are still officially available new (dont meet the most recent CE regs) but they were still advertised by ASK in Tottenham Court Road until recently. Turn up second hand at ham shows or thru companies that advertise in Short Wave Magazine and other enthusiast publications.

Hope this helps

Airbanda:- Proud to be an Anorak