PDA

View Full Version : Fly as FO after sim checked as Captain

MD11Man
19th Jun 2017, 08:19
Not sure if I am posting this at the right place, but...

I have a UK (EASA) ATPL. Last weekend, I've been sim checked successfully to go to the left seat. My employer says they still need me to do some flights as FO. Fine with me, but is it legal? All parties involved are in EASA.

Thanks

Capt Scribble
19th Jun 2017, 08:31
Our Co flys Capts in the RH seat but there is a requirement for a routine sim cx (RHS SE app/ GA and landing). Not sure how you fit in just having made the swop.

Denti
19th Jun 2017, 08:35
We need to do a right hand seat qualification training after being checked out as a captain. However, in my part of EASAland we do have a COP and a PIC rating, and a COP rating allows only operation from the right hand seat while the PIC rating without additional training does only allow operation from the left seat.

skkm
19th Jun 2017, 08:44
It's my understanding that a new check does not invalidate an existing one - so you should be legal to continue right-seat duties until your last FO sim check expires?

Basil
19th Jun 2017, 08:53
https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Regulations/Restrictions/Restrictions-on-professional-pilot-licences/
as PIC or co-pilot
In the preceding 90 days, you must have completed at least 3 take-offs, approaches and landings in an aircraft of the same type or class or a full flight simulator (FFS) representing that type or class.

You must complete the 3 take-offs and landings in either multi-pilot or single-pilot operations, depending on the privileges you hold

I infer from the foregoing that, if you are in compliance in the RHS, you're OK.
I could, of course, be completely wrong. (and did they have to be so dismissive of the flight sim? ;) )

p.s. Wouldn't this thread be better in 'Professional Pilot Training'

Ollie Onion
19th Jun 2017, 10:37
We need to be right seat qualified, it is a sim session and the 4 sectors line training before flying RHS. You the have to do a RHS EFATO at the end of each OPC/LPC.

MD11Man
19th Jun 2017, 10:43
The CAA says 'we can't comment as it is airline specific'.

Strange statement, so I am looking for a document that tells me what it is. It is not stated in OM-A - D for the airline I work for.

I understand and appreciate your comments, but I have to make it official. Anyone?

B737900er
20th Jun 2017, 11:35
Was your check for an assessment to the LHS or an LPC for the LHS. If it was an assessment then your legal but if you have had an LPC then your no longer legal without a RHS check.

ShyTorque
20th Jun 2017, 11:42
Bear in mind that some insurance companies require a minimum experience level; a totally separate issue from the EASA rules.

MD11Man
21st Jun 2017, 09:02
It's legal as my last check as FO was in March. The sim last weekend was an OPC.

Thanks for your help.