PDA

View Full Version : A320 Boing tells cabib crew gear is retracting

JammedStab
13th Jun 2017, 03:16
According to QANTAS on their website...

"On our Airbus aircraft you’ll hear the ‘boing’ sound shortly after take-off – this sound lets crew know that the landing gear is being retracted. (Depending on where you are sitting, you can probably hear or feel it moving. If you’re downstairs in the pointy end of one of our Boeing 747’s – you’re basically sitting right on top of the front landing gear)."

Do the cabin crew really need to know this. How does QANTAS inform the cabin crew on Boeings when the gear is retracting?

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/roo-tales/cabin-crew-lingo-101/

underfire
13th Jun 2017, 04:25
confused as to why this says Airbus aircraft, and the pointy ends of B747????? The 'pointy end' is the front, what do they call the tail of the ac? So much for the sophistication of a QANTAS pax according to the company...

On the QANTAS 747, any sound is similar to the old adage, "if a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a noise"

( I only recall a boing at 10K ....)

wiggy
13th Jun 2017, 05:58
When I've heard it I'd always assumed (I know) it was a ghost in the machine from the days of smoking flights ( on some types the No Smoking signs used to go out, accompanied by a tone, once gear was retracted).

Denti
13th Jun 2017, 07:20
Yes, it is the no smoking sign sound indeed. Automatically switches off once the gear is fully retracted (or on when its out). The actual signs of course stay on, if they still have lights in them at all, mostly they are just stickers.

Reverserbucket
13th Jun 2017, 08:18
The no-smoking annunciators remain lit but the cabin exit lights illuminate once the gear is down and off when the gear is retracted, coincidental with the chime.

ACMS
13th Jun 2017, 08:30
Reverserbuckets is correct.

TotalBeginner
13th Jun 2017, 10:15
Not so much during retraction, but the chime is very useful to cabin crew when the gear are extended. If you're not sat down, it's a handy reminder to strap yourself in.

Amadis of Gaul
13th Jun 2017, 14:00
Not so much during retraction, but the chime is very useful to cabin crew when the gear are extended.

Indeed. The other reminder being the emer exit lights coming on upon gear extension.