PDA

View Full Version : China Eastern Airlines YSSY "Engine Fooked"

Ozgrade3
11th Jun 2017, 15:54
Facebook reporting an Engine problem tonight on departure. Pilot, (I guess the fo) called ATC and said "engine fooked'....no kidding. Channel 7 has audio of the initial "pan" call.

http://www.airlive.net/breaking-china-eastern-mu736-suffered-serious-engine-failure-after-takeoff-from-sydney/

https://mobile.twitter.com/S118869/status/873877703119720449/video/1

skydler
11th Jun 2017, 16:15
Audo is here: http://archive-server.liveatc.net/yssy/YSSY-App-Dep-Jun-11-2017-1030Z.mp3

Pan pan around the 15:40 mark. Didn't hear the word 'fooked' though

Edit: the "fooked" moment is in in the Twitter Ozgrade3 linked

NumptyAussie
11th Jun 2017, 19:24
Engine number 1 FOD?

troppo
11th Jun 2017, 20:20
ICAO Level 6 English proficiency right there...:D

kevleyski
11th Jun 2017, 21:03
http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation/midair-emergency-forces-china-eastern-flight-to-return-to-sydney-20170611-gwp359.html

Biatch
11th Jun 2017, 21:55
I hear "fault".

I think they only have level 4 English. Not the greatest look but can judge as I haven't had to make a pan call with a hole in my engine and the associated vibrations shaking the entire aircraft.

Having now listened to the entirety of the exchange from live ATC... they definitely were having issues answering basic questions such as desired altitude for holding after the adrenalin had worn off...

JPJP
11th Jun 2017, 22:31
Nope. I heard "fooked". Twice.

There may be an amusing and logical explanation - Expat Captain. Possibly an Aussie. It sounds like the F.O. was passing on what he heard. Especially the second time. Given the speakers 'mastery' of Engrish. It's possible.

Expat CA - "tell em the number one engine is ******" (not expecting a literal interpretation)

F.O. - "Engine number one is fooked".

mickjoebill
11th Jun 2017, 23:50
Media report that cabin announcements regarding the emergency were not made in English.

What are the regulations regarding cabin announcement language in general and in a emergency. (Not saying this was an emergency, but had a slide evacuation been preplanned, must such forwarning be made in more than one language?

Mickjoebill

LH777
11th Jun 2017, 23:57
Sounds like "engine fault" to me

compressor stall
12th Jun 2017, 00:23
From video on line it seems the inner side cowl of #1let go in front of the blades, but the blades themselves appear to all be there.

Streamline1
12th Jun 2017, 00:45
Looks like something has hit the fan and been projected through the cowl as the inner acoustic lining is missing as well. Could it have been FOD after TO, like a drone?

PNM
12th Jun 2017, 01:36
I expected that recording to be much worse. Would have been a reasonably busy failure to deal with, with accompanying vibs, strange noises, burning smells etc. They planned to hold, but switched immediately to overweight landing strategy after learning of the nature of the structural damage.

I only listened to the recording once. Didn't hear "fooked".

His English proficiency is actually relatively good IMO.

BPA
12th Jun 2017, 02:06
I expected that recording to be much worse. Would have been a reasonably busy failure to deal with, with accompanying vibs, strange noises, burning smells etc. They planned to hold, but switched immediately to overweight landing strategy after learning of the nature of the structural damage.

I only listened to the recording once. Didn't hear "fooked".

His English proficiency is actually relatively good IMO.

Agree, I thought his English was good given the circumstances. I've played it back a few times and it sounds like he is saying fault.

Glorified Dus Briver
12th Jun 2017, 02:18
The media loves to have a field day with non-English speakers. I heard "fault". Surely, you don't expect them to say "SYD TWR, engine number one, done and dusted for".

I expect our resident "aviation expert", GT to chime in during today's news.

Fatguyinalittlecoat
12th Jun 2017, 02:22
Bit of a stretch to say it sounds like "Fooked". It sure sounds like "fault".

PNM
12th Jun 2017, 02:42
I hadn't listened to the twitter link, which appears to be Tower. Skydler's link seems to be Departures. I can see how people think the Tower recording is "fooked", however, I work with a lot of Chinese pilots. It's definitely "fault".

FlareArmed2
12th Jun 2017, 02:44
Having listened to the entirety of the ATC tape, I see no problem whatsoever with their English. Two voices on the radio, probably the Captain at first and then the FO. The FO English was slightly better; but both were very good (definitely better than ICAO 4 - I have heard ICAO 4 speakers). Their English is better than, for example, the rapid-fire accented "English" that you can hear at US airports - I have great difficulty sometimes understanding US ATC. I suspect the main difficulty for the crew in this case was in handling a difficult emergency.

The Aussie ATC was good, she spoke slightly slower and enunciated clearly.

FYI, all Chinese learn English at school and have done so for 20? or 30? odd years. The Captain on this flight was very experienced and senior, I think in charge of the flight simulators. There was no expat Captain on board.

Listening to the progress of the emergency, firstly engine at idle, then consideration of burning off fuel, then visual inspection, then decision to return overweight rather than wait - it all seems logical and measured. A good job, I think. I'd rather think better of a fellow professional than go off on imaginary tangents speculating on things that we don't know.

Oh, and it's "fault". I think many Asian speakers have difficulty with the English "L" sound, making it closer to an "R" sound. Funny responses on this thread, though.

Biatch
12th Jun 2017, 02:46
Nope. I heard "fooked". Twice.

There may be an amusing and logical explanation - Expat Captain. Possibly an Aussie. It sounds like the F.O. was passing on what he heard. Especially the second time. Given the speakers 'mastery' of Engrish. It's possible.

Expat CA - "tell em the number one engine is ******" (not expecting a literal interpretation)

F.O. - "Engine number one is fooked".

Your possible explanation is not correct. No expat pilot onboard. Also concensus suggests you need to get your hearing checked.

jack11111
12th Jun 2017, 02:53
I have listened many times and concur the word was likely "fault".

Glorified Dus Briver
12th Jun 2017, 02:59
Your possible explanation is not correct. No expat pilot onboard. Also concensus suggests you need to get your hearing checked.

The only person who can provide an error-free account of the incident and the cause of it is the great aviation expert, Geoffrey Thomas :}

Derfred
12th Jun 2017, 04:40
We've got a new live one...

Professor Jason Middleton, an aviation expert at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, told Reuters it appeared that the engine cowling had been ripped away forward of the main compressor blade.

“When one of these things happens you often don’t know how the damage began. It could have begun from loose screws,” he told the ABC.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/12/plane-makes-emergency-landing-in-sydney-with-huge-hole-in-engine-casing

Led Zep
12th Jun 2017, 04:41
Loose screws?

:} :ok:

Snakecharma
12th Jun 2017, 04:48
Well he is an "aviation expert"!

give me strength....

hoopdreams
12th Jun 2017, 04:49
Definitely not saying "fooked", I also hear "engine 1 fault", which may have been shown on ECAM.

ronthefisherman
12th Jun 2017, 05:11
Bird strike - but can that happen without fan damage?

Howard Hughes
12th Jun 2017, 06:25
Looks like something has hit the fan and been projected through the cowl as the inner acoustic lining is missing as well. Could it have been FOD after TO, like a drone?Is that you Mr Xenophon?

ChrisJ800
12th Jun 2017, 06:56
Just listened to the ATC audio and wondering why they initially were directed to maintain 5000 then asked by ATC to climb to 6000. If traffic separation is needed shouldn't ATC ask the other aircraft to maneuver rather than the one with one engine inopp, especially to climb?

Una Due Tfc
12th Jun 2017, 07:41
Just listened to the ATC audio and wondering why they initially were directed to maintain 5000 then asked by ATC to climb to 6000. If traffic separation is needed shouldn't ATC ask the other aircraft to maneuver rather than the one with one engine inopp, especially to climb?

Unless you need to keep them above class G, or MSA, or out of a danger area etc.
Or maybe you can ask them so as to keep them above a SID or STAR

Seabreeze
12th Jun 2017, 08:24
We've got a new live one...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/12/plane-makes-emergency-landing-in-sydney-with-huge-hole-in-engine-casing

probably meant cowl fasteners, lots of other possibilities. Similar damage happened with other Trent 700 engines.

PoppaJo
12th Jun 2017, 08:27
Pics were shown on 7 News.

You need to see the photos to believe it, half the engine has been pulled off. Holy cow!

ACMS
12th Jun 2017, 08:29
I didn't see any burnt areas??? Huh :ugh:

Oh and the first time I heard the recording it was obviously "fault" he said

And it ain't half the Engine cowl either.....:D

Karunch
12th Jun 2017, 08:46

Fuel jettison- 6000ft required in Australia.

Aero Vodochody
12th Jun 2017, 10:15
Not much chance of jettisoning fuel from a A330 though!

cooperplace
12th Jun 2017, 10:51
Jason Middleton is a pilot, it says here: University of New South Wales - School of Aviation (http://www.aviation.unsw.edu.au/about/profiles/middleton.html) "He has held a Commercial Pilot Licence since 1973, and flies regularly as an instrument rated pilot."

donpizmeov
12th Jun 2017, 11:05
The acoustic liner of the RR eng has let go a few times on the 330. We had a 330 doing a missed approached at DXB have it let go as TOGA was applied. Lots of noise on the ground, some initial vibration, then it settles down. Looked pretty much the same as this ENG.
Fuel jettison is an option for the A332, have no knowledge of the 333.

MONK
12th Jun 2017, 14:26
If this was a western airline the crew would have been congratulated for a job well, done got the plane safely on the ground and all passengers and crew safe. But because it's a Chinese airline the only thing you people are concerned about is what was supposedly said over the radio....."fault" or "fooked"

Even some of the passengers interviewed on tv said the crew was calm and professional. Some of the passengers didn't even know the extent of the problem until they were safely on the ground.

Btw....to the crew....flight crew and cabin crew...congratulations on a great job getting the plane safely on the ground.

VHFRT
12th Jun 2017, 14:56
If this was a western airline the crew would have been congratulated for a job well, done got the plane safely on the ground and all passengers and crew safe. But because it's a Chinese airline the only thing you people are concerned about is what was supposedly said over the radio....."fault" or "fooked"

Even some of the passengers interviewed on tv said the crew was calm and professional. Some of the passengers didn't even know the extent of the problem until they were safely on the ground.

Btw....to the crew....flight crew and cabin crew...congratulations on a great job getting the plane safely on the ground.

Wow... an intelligent, well formed and valid statement void of any racism.

You're not actually in Aus, are you?

The Banjo
12th Jun 2017, 15:12
Before you take cheap shots at foreign pilots, remember they have had the dedication to learn a second language as part of the training. Consider if you had to learn Japanese or Mandarin to such a level to operate in a dynamic environment. Few, including myself would be able to do so. Simply understanding their number system does my head in.
:=

Icarus2001
12th Jun 2017, 15:17
Fuel jettison- 6000ft required in Australia.

https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/mats/docs/ats-proc-0062.pdf

Not much chance of jettisoning fuel from a A330 though!

Are you sure about that?

Bleve
12th Jun 2017, 22:20

Firstly the performance difference between 5000 & 6000 is negligible even for a twin with an engine failure.

Secondly an initial climb to 5000 is SOP for departing aircraft. When runway 34 is in use, arriving aircraft from the north on the 'Boree' arrival are flying towards the airfield and are limited to 6000 on decent. When there are no conflicts, departing aircraft are then cleared above 5000 and arriving cleared below 6000. In this case there may have been an arriving aircraft already at 6000.

spinex
13th Jun 2017, 00:36

The old sensahuma gland playing up again, eh Monk? I have yet to see anyone saying anything negative about the crew's performance, indeed many have been complimentary but you find it necessary to take offence on their behalf regarding the humour displayed at what the FO may or may not have said.:mad:

Ida down
13th Jun 2017, 12:50
The old sensahuma gland playing up again, eh Monk? I have yet to see anyone saying anything negative about the crew's performance, indeed many have been complimentary but you find it necessary to take offence on their behalf regarding the humour displayed at what the FO may or may not have said.:mad:
I imagine the LAMES said exactly the same, on first inspection.

RAC/OPS
14th Jun 2017, 01:05
Highly unlikely that a pilot whose first language is not English is going to lapse into English slang in the heat of the moment!

Slippery_Pete
14th Jun 2017, 04:08

Yep, got it in one.

B772
15th Jun 2017, 13:44
No fuel dump valves on the subject aircraft.

JPJP
15th Jun 2017, 20:11

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it. I find your comment regarding my hearing to be highly xenophobic . Biatch :p

Biatch
16th Jun 2017, 03:45
That's my story, and I'm sticking with it. I find your comment regarding my hearing to be highly xenophobic . Biatch :p

Haha... don't know how you got there... but sure!

Captain Dart
17th Jun 2017, 01:10
I find that Chinese often find difficulty pronouncing the end of some English words, e.g. 'Fault' pronounced as 'fau'.

I first noticed this with my Asian airline when some time ago, the Chinese Inflight Services Manager stormed into the cockpit, aggrieved about a just-messaged staff bonus that was less than expected. She shouted that she was not going to smile and wave at the pax as they disembarked, she was just going to tell them to 'fuh off'.

Hoofharted
17th Jun 2017, 10:24
Some funny moments do occur when there is difficulty with the language. Where I once worked the CSM when offering the choice of a coke or a diet coke would ask "you wan fat cok oh skinny cok". :uhoh:

Old Farang
18th Jun 2017, 05:00
Some funny moments do occur when there is difficulty with the language. Where I once worked the CSM when offering the choice of a coke or a diet coke would ask "you wan fat cok oh skinny cok". :uhoh:
Yes, quite. A few years ago in Singapore:

"Yu wan chop tik or fuk and poon?"

My ever alert mate sezz back instantly: "Gimme the fuk en poon".

Ken Borough
18th Jun 2017, 05:40
There used to be a restaurant somewhere in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney that was named "The Fork and View"! For all I know it could be extant.

unobtanium
18th Jun 2017, 12:11

On the subject of Singapore, look up "TR2638 ATC RECORDING" on uTube for a textbook example of how to handle a air emergency.

underfire
18th Jun 2017, 21:56
Highly unlikely that a pilot whose first language is not English is going to lapse into English slang in the heat of the moment!

Brings back the English instruction classes from the movie Stripes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iINyyfDf_xE

AerialPerspective
19th Jun 2017, 06:39

First flight on SQ when they used to give out gifts in Economy (probably still do)... it was a torch branded with SQ, battery not replaceable.

Asked how you replace the battery... the F/A responded "Yu wan 'nuther wun o' it???" (I guess she was asking if I wanted another one).

Can be amusing but as my Dad (also on that trip, along with Mum) used to remind us "Their English is a bloody sight better than your Mandarin"

Ken Borough
19th Jun 2017, 07:22
"Their English is a bloody sight better than your Mandarin"

That's exactly the right approach. After decades of dealing with Asian people, I'd never accept their apology for their poor English, Rather, I'd say something like 'Don't worry, there's no need to apologise. You should hear my ......."! That would always result in a good laugh with a relaxed and good outcome. It's all about patience, tolerance and empathy.

RAC/OPS
19th Jun 2017, 07:33
Can be amusing but as my Dad (also on that trip, along with Mum) used to remind us "Their English is a bloody sight better than your Mandarin"

Exactly....and people who judge foreign pilots' intelligence by the way they speak English are probably not as intelligent as they'd like to believe!

Derfred
19th Jun 2017, 10:26
Is it a full moon or something? This isn't the PPRuNe I know....