PDA

View Full Version : Bristol to Jersey

juswonnafly
12th Jul 2002, 14:48
A couple of us are flying to Jersey and Alderney on Monday next.

Has anyone got any updated advice or info re fuel, duty free, where to eat etc (even which route)?

Much obliged

JWF

eyeinthesky
12th Jul 2002, 21:44
I understand getting duty free at Jersey and Guernsey is now difficult for private flights. You are best to go to Alderney, where fuel is c.50p a litre and they have a duty free counter which stocks the common duty free items.

Places to eat on Alderney: The Albert (pub) does good quality pub meals and has quite a good atmosphere.

Further down, near Braye Harbour, are some more restaurants, the names of which escape me and which are highly spoken of for their seafood.

A walk from the airport right down to the harbour will take maybe 30-35 minutes (downhill!) and will work up an appetite. A walk around the cliffs back to the airport will take about 90 mins and offers some good views on a nice day (France, Guernsey, Sark, even Jersey).

Route: Up to you. Either from BHD towards SKERY and into the zone from there or round via Bournemouth and direct Alderney (not above FL34 as you approach 50N). Clearance into Jersey Zone is usually not above 3000ft SVFR and you need to be aware of the visibility restrictions to operate. If you are landing at Alderney you can use THEIR met vis if that helps.

Don't forget to claim the fuel drawback on the fuel you have in your tanks when you depart Bristol for Alderney (27.34p per litre).

StrateandLevel
14th Jul 2002, 08:31
Contact Jersey Aero Club, they are the handling agents for GA at Jersey.

Alderney, Good pub halfway down the high street on the left with a garden to eat in.

juswonnafly
16th Jul 2002, 08:43
Just to close this one,

We had a fantastic time! Went to Guernsey and Alderney in the end. Alderney is great (ta for the info 'eye).

Fuel at Guernsey is 49p per litre and this reduces landing fee to about £6. (by chance we ended up having a coffee at Guernsey Aero Club.............nice people and thanks for the free coffee!)

Alderney fuel is 52p and again £6 to land if buying fuel.

Lastly I would like to say that the fireman,customs,tower and everyone else at Alderney airport were the MOST helpful and friendly people I have ever met at an airfield for a long time.

So there you are ladies and gentlemen, if you want somewhere to go for a nice day out I highly recommend Alderney.

Have fun

JWF:)

Aussie Andy
16th Jul 2002, 09:47
Great to hear - thanks for the report. We're going to have a holiday on Guernsey shortly, so plan to rent a Warrior there and take the kids on a day-trip over to Alderney - sounds like it should be a good day out!

englishal
16th Jul 2002, 10:44
There is a very good curry house on Alderney...at least I think it was very good.......I was drunk, and when drunk, curry always tastes good.....:)

EA:D