PDA

View Full Version : Airbus...new A320 FCOM format..again !

John Citizen
2nd Jun 2017, 11:18
It took me a long time to learn the layout of the Airbus A320 FCOM manuals and to find where topics are located.

The FCOM format/layout was changed about 2011 and I had to learn it all again. I found it very frustrating to learn the new layout, but eventually I did.

Now when I am very comfortable with the FCOM layout again, Airbus decide to change it again. Why ?

Isn't this a threat to safety ?

You might need to locate some important on short notice, but you can no longer find it easily and quickly as it has all been rearranged again. :ugh:

It's a bit like when you go through the amendments every update to see what's new only to see meaningless insignificant amendments such as very minor grammatical changes. Big deal. Sometimes I feel someone is just justifying their employment. :ugh:

An aircraft designed over 30 years ago and they are still trying to work out how to fly it, with ever changing manuals, limits, recalls, OEB's and SOP's

Gratuitous naughty words really are not all that necessary in Tech Log ..... JT

My names Turkish
2nd Jun 2017, 11:20
Having recently converted from Boeing to Airbus I can tell you that the revised format from 2011 onwards was still a dogs dinner and the manuals were dreadful compared to the Boeings.

Hopefully the latest format will make them a LOT more user friendly.

tubby linton
2nd Jun 2017, 12:07
John Citizen can you provide an example of the new format please? Are you still using paper? Having electronic manuals make them easily searchable.

John Citizen
2nd Jun 2017, 13:44
It is all changing again effective 20 Jul 2017 (in my company anyway).

Yes, mostly electronic format, but not the QRH.

Some examples of the changes:
- items being listed in alphabetical order instead of the ATA chapter

Why ? :mad:

Why change it if it is still the exact same information :ugh:

compressor stall
2nd Jun 2017, 14:26
Personally I preferred the ata order but can live with it.

The relocation of special procedures to the relevant SOP is an improvement.

tubby linton
2nd Jun 2017, 14:47
The current aircraft is a lot different from one of the originals. I used to fly sn279 and it was very basic in comparison to the current models.

FlightDetent
2nd Jun 2017, 17:02
It is not a different format per se, but a lot of bits and pieces got repositioned, mostly involving the SUP. Some of it went to recently renamed FCTM. DSC is still in ATA sequence but ABN and QRH is indeed alphabetical. It feels as an improvement, namely the shuffle in NOR, but just too little of it given the enormous amount of work behind. So the reasons are not probably for FC benefit.

There is an Airbus FOT about it.

PS: we have some A/C with 12 minutes restriction to turn on the IRS's after the power-up. Used to be SUP-NAV-IR, but I cannot find it anywhere now. Any tips?

Denti
2nd Jun 2017, 17:47
PS: we have some A/C with 12 minutes restriction to turn on the IRS's after A/C power-up. Used to be SUP-NAV-IR, but I cannot find it anywhere at all. Any tips?

We have quite a few of those, it is currently in FCOM-DIF-AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS for us.

jaja
2nd Jun 2017, 20:01
Never heard of "FCOM-DIF-AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS" ?

Is that coming in the july revision ?

FlightDetent
4th Jun 2017, 07:26
Ata 00 – operational documentation enhancement for a320/a330/a340

Denti
4th Jun 2017, 09:00
Never heard of "FCOM-DIF-AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS" ?

Is that coming in the july revision ?

It might be a company thing that airbus does for us. As we do have very many different equipment standards we do have a difference list for every aircraft in the FCOM, which contains a list of systems, procedures and limitations.

That said, the new standard isn't active on our documentation yet, but we got the information about it. And i guess part of the restructuring is the move towards completely paperless documentation, apparently even the paper QRH is gonna go in the next 2 or 3 months. Which fits into our EFB use, everything is paperless except the paper QRH and a small part of the Techlog.

Uplinker
4th Jun 2017, 11:45
Another reformat ?

Please Noooooooooooo!