PDA

View Full Version : TAF production in the UK

tubby linton
29th May 2017, 17:53
How are Tafs produced in the UK and what are the criteria for them to be amended?
I was looking at the actual and TAF for a specific airfield and the wind direction in the TAF was completely the opposite of the actual.
I know that the actuals at this airfield are recorded by ATC staff and there have been problems in the past where the weather recorded was nothing like what was actually being experienced.
If the forecast are being based on incorrect actuals then this will cause a problem ,especially when crews are adjusting fuel burns based on expected runway in use .

chevvron
29th May 2017, 21:54
Usually what happens is when CFO Exeter get the first METAR of the day, their computer prepares a TAF and when they get the second, provided it's not much different, the TAF is issued.

tubby linton
30th May 2017, 11:36
So if the actual is incorrect then the Taf will be as well?

TCAS FAN
30th May 2017, 11:54
I believe that two METARs are required before the MET Office will "release" a TAF. My last non H24 unit had to get an ATSA in early, prior to airport opening, to achieve this so that departing crews would have a TAF available when they reported for duty.

chevvron
30th May 2017, 13:20
That's what I meant.

good egg
30th May 2017, 13:23
It's not uncommon for the UKMO to contact airports to confirm the accuracy of the reported met when it is significantly different to the forecast (regardless if unit in question has AutoMet), so that a revised forecast can be issued if necessary.