View Full Version : UAS pilot to EASA PPL

Homsap
27th May 2017, 11:10
Does anyone have any experience of converting an ex RAF UAS G115 cadet pilot to a EASA PPL in the UK, let say with 45 hrs.

What would the CAA requirement be?

TheOddOne
27th May 2017, 16:05
I had a student recently who had 70-odd hours up to advanced on the T67 at Barkston Heath. He had the hours credited, had to do all the exams, though, plus x-country and skills test. He contacted the CAA with his individual case, suggest you do the same. Recency is a factor.

TOO

Whopity
27th May 2017, 18:41
There is only one way to go for these people, The hours will be credited towards a NPPL, then convert to LAPL and finally, if desired, upgrade to PPL. Don't waste your time talking to the CAA, you will probably never get a reply but, as there are no credits towards an EASA licence, you will be wasting your time.

BEagle
27th May 2017, 19:19
Whopity, quite correct - and I don't know why this information isn't more widely known...

So-called UAS 'air experience' flying with an unqualified instructor (i.e. neither a QFI nor a pilot who also holds a civil FI certificate) will not be credited.

Forget TheOddOne's advice as that applies only to EFT graduates and not to UAS cadets. Unfortunately.

Homsap, the cadet MUST qualify for his/her NPPL before Apr 2018, because NPPLs obtained after that date will not be convertible to part-FCL licences.

Mickey Kaye
28th May 2017, 10:05
Hmm and I wonder if April 2018 date will be deferred again like it was in 2014.

Homsap
28th May 2017, 12:09
How strange 'no credit towards EASA PPL' when UAS training is to such a high standard. Thanks for your replies.

Whopity
28th May 2017, 18:32
It has nothing to do with the standard, it requires the right people to make the arrangements for accreditation.

BEagle
28th May 2017, 19:24
Quite so, Whopity. Which is why I went to great pains to secure it and retain it for the NPPL.

BillieBob
28th May 2017, 23:10
I wonder if April 2018 date will be deferred again like it was in 2014.The word from Cologne is that it will definitely not be extended again. In fact, since it is written into a Regulation, it is already too late to extend it.

Homsap
29th May 2017, 09:57
Whopity.... It always puzzzles me that the CAA have never accredited flying instructors outside aviation, so that instructors without say a PGCE, 7407 or PETLS would have difficulty teaching in a college of higher educations.

Whopity
29th May 2017, 12:32
It is not within the CAA's remit to provide educational qualifications. I think that so few instructors operate in a traditional educational environment that the demand has been low. Where flying courses have been conducted at Universities e.g. London Metropolitan (Guildhall) they have managed with existing aviation instructors.

In the early days of the CAA they offered to issue licences to RAF pilots but it was the RAF who turned down the offer as they were concerned about setting up an easy escape route.

All the recent concessions have been hard fought for by one or two dedicated people.