PDA

View Full Version : John Travolta gifts his 707-138 to HARS

Capt Kremin
27th May 2017, 04:17
John Travolta is officially handing his ex QF 707-138 to HARS. No word on when as yet but a fantastic addition to the HARS fleet.

John Travolta donates his Boeing 707 to HARS in Albion Park | Illawarra Mercury (http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4690468/john-travolta-donates-his-boeing-707-to-hars-in-albion-park/)

Fris B. Fairing
27th May 2017, 05:12
Wonderful news. Congratulations HARS and thank you JT.

compressor stall
27th May 2017, 05:19
Nice work. Generous gift.

But are his epaulettes upside down? :)

TowerDog
27th May 2017, 05:22
. The actor, a qualified pilot and Qantas ambassador, hopes to be part of the crew to fly the vintage passenger jet from his Florida home to Albion Park.

Qualified pilot?
Did he ever get beyond a PPL?
He looks good with 4 stripes and a proper uniform, but it is all fake.

Higs
27th May 2017, 05:44
Fully checked out. My mate spoke to him on the radio once just south of Japan.

Rodney Rotorslap
27th May 2017, 06:08
As expected, it didn't take the tall poppy syndrome long to kick in. :ugh:

Capt Kremin
27th May 2017, 07:18
Qualified pilot?
He looks good with 4 stripes and a proper uniform, but it is all fake.

I saw him at Qantas about 20 odd years going getting a 747-400 endorsement.

compressor stall
27th May 2017, 07:43
Tower Dog on the registry there's a guy with a very similar name with
P/ASEL. P/AMEL. P/INSTA. P/B707, P/B720, P/CE500. P/CL600. P/HS125 and others.

AerialPerspective
27th May 2017, 10:20
What a wonderful and generous gift, great ambassador and a fitting place for N707JT to retire to as well.

cattletruck
27th May 2017, 10:51
Wow, what a gift. Those of us who appreciate this gesture REALLY DO appreciate this gesture.

Thank VB, I mean JT. :E

JammedStab
27th May 2017, 11:08
I have been wondering recently how he could afford to fly that thing as he has not been big in the movies over the last few years.

Anyways, I hope he gets another cool old airplane as a replacement.

TowerDog
27th May 2017, 13:48
Tower Dog on the registry there's a guy with a very similar name with
P/ASEL. P/AMEL. P/INSTA. P/B707, P/B720, P/CE500. P/CL600. P/HS125 and others.

P? As in private pilot?

morno
27th May 2017, 14:21
Who really gives a **** if he's a private pilot or a commercial pilot?

mickjoebill
27th May 2017, 16:12
Would be fitting to shoot some air to air of it on what could be its last flight.

Mjb

Deano969
27th May 2017, 17:12
Would be fitting to shoot some air to air of it on what could be its last flight.

Mjb

Would his 707 be able to get back in the air from Albion Park ?

Capn Bloggs
28th May 2017, 01:29
Would his 707 be able to get back in the air from Albion Park ?
Formation takeoff with the 747. Let's do it! :ok:

coaldemon
28th May 2017, 02:27
Whichever way he has been operating complex aircraft for quite a number of years

Fris B. Fairing
28th May 2017, 03:22
This quote from JT's press release implies that the aeroplane will continue flying.

I am truly excited by this project and am just so pleased that this
beautiful aircraft, for which I obviously have very fond memories,
will continue to fly well into the future.

LeadSled
28th May 2017, 07:39
He looks good with 4 stripes and a proper uniform, but it is all fake.TowerDog,
I believe that, if you were to do your homework, you would find out he has an FAA ATR with all the trimming.
It is quite a while ago now, but I seem to recall that he completed a full type course on a B747 at Qantas (don't recall whether it was a Classic or -438) and he was issued with a (now superseded) SCPL, so he would now have an Australian ATPL.
Don't be such a miserable sod, he can dress however he likes, either on his own aircraft, or as an "honorary" Qantas crew member, it is no more "fake" than a young kid with a CPL wearing four bars flying a C-172, which always gives me a good giggle.

Tootle pip!!

PS: Should the lead singer of the head banger group Iron Maiden wear four bars when he is flying?

JamieMaree
28th May 2017, 07:54
It was a 400 course. SCC named JD did his simulator training.

TowerDog
28th May 2017, 07:55
Leadsled:
Not miserable about much. In Hollywood anything goes and folks strut around in uniforms while making movies all the time, but when an actor also does it in real life, it seems odd.
As for the C-172 kids running around in full Captain uniforms: Seems odd too: I worked hard to get my 4 bars and it meant something then, now anybody buys and dons whatever they want, seems a bit odd, but guess it is ok these days.

john_tullamarine
28th May 2017, 08:05
Should the lead singer of the head banger group Iron Maiden wear four bars when he is flying?

Careful, haven't seen him about recently but he might spot your comments ...

Art Smass
28th May 2017, 08:15
Good onya JT

Sure the guys rich - but he did not have to do this - HARS are a terrific organisation who will look after N707JT as she deserves

FAR CU
28th May 2017, 08:41
It may well be that JT is the second person to donate an ex-Qantas aircraft to a museum. The Qantas DC-3 at Longreach (VH-EAP, in Qantas service 1944 - 1960) was gifted to the Qantas Founders' Museum by a bloke living at the time down Hobart way.

Capt Fathom
28th May 2017, 09:34
I guess his 5000 hours over 40 years would indicate someone very passionate about his hobby. Good on him. I'm jealous!

AerialPerspective
28th May 2017, 11:30
I have been wondering recently how he could afford to fly that thing as he has not been big in the movies over the last few years.

Anyways, I hope he gets another cool old airplane as a replacement.
Hope he gets a Boeing 747-238B... he can then fly it for a while in the ochre livery and then donate it to one of our aviation museums.

Tankengine
28th May 2017, 12:23
Hope he gets a Boeing 747-238B... he can then fly it for a while in the ochre livery and then donate it to one of our aviation museums.

There is one already at Longreach. Maybe a 767?

tail wheel
28th May 2017, 20:04
Should the lead singer of the head banger group Iron Maiden wear four bars when he is flying?

He is a lot closer the PPRuNe than you think........ := :E

B2N2
28th May 2017, 20:15
What a wonderful and generous gift, great ambassador and a fitting place for N707JT to retire to as well.

REALLY?! :=

“The aircraft currently requires a lot of work to be restored to a safe flying state and having seen first hand the dedication and passion of people at HARS, I have no doubt this beautiful and historical aircraft will be flying again,” Travolta said

he's giving away junk is what that says......

Tinstaafl
28th May 2017, 20:48
I was curious about the '...lot of work...' bit too. Makes me think he either can't afford to maintain it, or lost interest, or both.

A320ECAM
28th May 2017, 21:33
I respect JT for his films and his contributions towards aviation, however I cannot stand his v.... and how it influenced his decision with the death of his ...

Moneymoneymoneymoney
28th May 2017, 22:13
Personal Information JOHN JOSEPH TRAVOLTA

8720 NE 16TH TER
OCALA FL 34479-3404
County: MARION
Medical Medical Class: First, Medical Date: 4/2017
MUST WEAR CORRECTIVE LENSES FOR NEAR AND DISTANT VISION.
Certificates PRIVATE PILOT
Date of Issue: 6/5/2011
Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT Print
Ratings:
PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

Type Ratings:P/B-707P/B-720P/CE-500P/CL-600P/EA-500SP/G-1159P/HS-125P/LR-JET
Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.
AUTHORIZED EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT: SO-G2.
B-707 SIC PRIVILEGES ONLY.
CE-500 (VFR ONLY).

ruprecht
28th May 2017, 22:21
I respect JT for his films and his contributions towards aviation, however I cannot stand his v.... and how it influenced his decision with the death of his ...

v....?

Volvo?

tail wheel
28th May 2017, 22:21
Have you thought that perhaps at age 63 Travolta may no longer wish to retain the privileges (and training obligations) of an ATPL or CPL or whether donating his B707 is because he's given up heavy flying or the aircraft has passed it's economic use by date? Or perhaps it no longer complies with environmental laws where he wishes to go?

A wonderful donation. Second Qantas B707 to return to Australia. :ok:

Recent satellite photo - the B707 is still on his Florida property (https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/1201+NE+77th+St,+Ocala,+FL+34479,+USA/@29.2800675,-82.1229596,3065m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88e62c060e062ae3:0x15d5228e7afe17e e!8m2!3d29.2666852!4d-82.1217218):

junior.VH-LFA
28th May 2017, 23:37
Individual donates large historic aircraft to Australian museum, Pprune finds a way to throw stones and complain.

I just don't understand that.

MickG0105
28th May 2017, 23:50
Individual donates large historic aircraft to Australian museum, Pprune finds a way to throw stones and complain.

I just don't understand that.

Can you imagine the comments if he hadn't have donated it.

mrdeux
29th May 2017, 00:26
Maybe OGV would make a nice replacement. I think it's still in the desert, but it was the nicest of the QF 767s.

Vertisol
29th May 2017, 01:10
I guess POTUS gets first dibs on maintenance..

HARS president Bob De La Hunty said the aviation museum would send its engineering team to the United States to help prepare the plane for the historic flight.

“The aeroplane’s in pretty good shape, but aeroplanes do need maintenance,” he said.

“The timing of that will be something we negotiate with the maintenance outfit that looks after the president of the United State’s airplane.

“We have to send our engineering team over there, work out the timing and what needs to be done to get it back in the air. It flew last in December.”

maggot
29th May 2017, 01:53
Maybe OGV would make a nice replacement. I think it's still in the desert, but it was the nicest of the QF 767s.

Cause it was so new
Far too young for the desert

B772
29th May 2017, 02:32
OGV went to the desert 3.5 years ago. Since been converted to an freighter and currently in storage at Tel Aviv.

Ps. John Travolta had a fly of the A380 courtesy of Airbus at the request of QF.

AerialPerspective
29th May 2017, 03:02
There is one already at Longreach. Maybe a 767?
Yes. True, that would be fitting. Love the 767 and it's a landmark enough aircraft in QF service to warrant preservation.

AerialPerspective
29th May 2017, 03:04
REALLY?! :=

he's giving away junk is what that says......
Oh p l e a s e --- the guy donates something, not just a movie prop or a personal trinket but a Boeing 707-138B that flew for Qantas and you find something negative about it... give me a break.

Fris B. Fairing
29th May 2017, 03:21
B2N2

Clearly you just don't get it. Refer post #6.

A Squared
29th May 2017, 04:02
Have you thought that perhaps at age 63 Travolta may no longer wish to retain the privileges (and training obligations) of an ATPL or CPL

well;

1) Neither a US ATP nor CPL have any more recurrent training obligations for someone flying for personal reasons.

2) JT has never, to my knowledge held anything other than a Private Pilot certificate. His license is a frequent topic on internet aviation forums, and on various occasions over hte years the discussions have piqued my curiosity so that I've checked the FAA database. Yep, still a PPL, every time.

It always astonishes me that people want to make such a big deal about the fact that he has only a private license. Ummm, so what? Apparently, that's the level of pilot certificate he wants. If he wanted to have an ATP, somewhere along the line of getting 8 different jet type ratings, he probably could have squeezed in an ATP ride too. So, it would appear that keeping his PPL is a choice. Not sure why he wants to hold a PPL only, perhaps he's making some point about working pilots vs pilots who fly for personal reasons. I don't know and can only speculate. If I ever meet him, maybe I'll ask him. But at the end of the day, who cares that he only has a PPLL, and why does anyone care?

TowerDog
29th May 2017, 04:17
. Who cares that he only has a PPLL, and why does anyone care?

Not sure anybody cares, it was rather a response to the blurb above that says he is a fully
quaildified pilot and showed a picture of JT in a Captain's uniform, as if he was a fully qualified Airline Captain. (Not, can't do that with a PPL)
It is of course commendable that he donates his 707 to an Australian museum, great for the Aussies, great for JT and and great for the aiplane.
Happy ending for sure.

Pearly White
29th May 2017, 04:18
TowerDog,
I believe that, if you were to do your homework, you would find out he has an FAA ATR with all the trimming.
It is quite a while ago now, but I seem to recall that he completed a full type course on a B747 at Qantas (don't recall whether it was a Classic or -438) and he was issued with a (now superseded) SCPL, so he would now have an Australian ATPL.
Don't be such a miserable sod, he can dress however he likes, either on his own aircraft, or as an "honorary" Qantas crew member, it is no more "fake" than a young kid with a CPL wearing four bars flying a C-172, which always gives me a good giggle.

Tootle pip!!

PS: Should the lead singer of the head banger group Iron Maiden wear four bars when he is flying?

Apparently not, unless you count the blue ones (https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjX2N7un5TUAhWMgbwKHUOuC5gQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thefamouspeople.com%2Fprofiles%2Fbruce-dickinson-3692.php&psig=AFQjCNGEk_U8jsboLaIRN5rVMnDABVB3PA&ust=1496117961959554) instead of the gold ones:

atr-drivr
29th May 2017, 05:28

\
Bruce Dickinson is qualified on 737, 757 and 747 as Captain.:=

maggot
29th May 2017, 05:47
Legend. Livin the dream

Tankengine
29th May 2017, 06:23
\
Bruce Dickinson is qualified on 737, 757 and 747 as Captain.:=

He certainly is, and flys commerically.

John Travolta has a PPL but is qualified to fly various jets on PRIVATE ops, I cannot see what some posters are getting at. JT is an enthusiast and qualified for his own 707 and has done the simulator training at Qantas for 744, not too many PPLs can claim that! ;)

Lookleft
30th May 2017, 01:18
I thought Bruce Dickinson was a bit like the Dutch King and operated as crew on line operations? I don't think JT wearing 4 stripes is really much different to retired airline pilots still using the term "Captain" when they are no longer flying. Both are equally irrelevant.

Band a Lot
30th May 2017, 08:29
Thought John did a deal with Qantas in regard maintenance of 707 in exchange for Ambassador/free add stuff.

So why is it in need of maintenance?

P.S thanks John need people like you in aviation.

HZ123
30th May 2017, 09:33
More to the point when was it last airborne?

Fris B. Fairing
30th May 2017, 09:50
Apparently it was flown to Brunswick GA in December 2016.

Band a Lot
30th May 2017, 09:52
More to the point when was it last airborne?

Well that has been posted and it was less than 6 months back - December from memory!

So your point is what?

allthecoolnamesarego
30th May 2017, 09:53
Really, who cares when it last flew, what's wrong with it and why he's giving it away.
The fact is, he is doing a wonderful thing, asking nothing for it, and we should just say thanks, then leave it to those who are putting in the hard work to get it to Australia.

AEROMEDIC
30th May 2017, 10:13
It's my understanding that Travolta WAS offered a 747 by Qantas, but it was politely declined due to parking and operational issues. It might have been a Classic or an SP.
Clearly though, as one gets older, and even though you may be a Qantas ambassador, why have a large four engine aircraft on your doorstep today?

V-Jet
30th May 2017, 11:03
Couple of points. Joyce probably isn't the fan of the history of Qf that would support the ongoing maintenance and operational expense as those did in the past. These are expensive toys and JT is not of the magnitude of wealth to afford them easily. He mentioned something along the lines of 'hoping to be part of the crew on the way'. I detect a loss of interest, medical or some other reason (I would hope not even a hint of distaste for how he may have been treated at the conclusion of the Qf 707 marketing contract?). Maybe even he couldn't bring himself to wear the new uniform?

I will be eternally grateful there is a Qf 7-0 for people to see in Aus. Thanks JT. And I'd say that even if he only had a Student licence - or none at all.

LeadSled
30th May 2017, 11:52
He is a lot closer the PPRuNe than you think........ := http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gifTail Wheel,
Not something I have thought about, at all, but some of the miserable comments on this thread reminded me of similar miserable sods making similar disparaging comments about Dickinson, without knowing his qualifications --- which I did, having met the bloke when he was flying a B757.

Re. my not nearly correct comments on JT licenses, so much for the stories current at the time Travolta was doing the -400 course.

I guess if I put up a story about John "Cat's Eyes" Cunningham, long tine Chief Test Pilot of DeHavillands (think Comet and Trident) some miserable and narrow minded sod here would say: "He wasn't a real pilot, he only had a PPL".

Which was the only full civil license he ever had.

--- retired airline pilots still using the term "Captain" when they are no longer flying. Both are equally irrelevant.

The title, in the civil world, has no legal meaning, regardless of the size of the aircraft, it is merely an honorific, whether a person is currently flying or not, and a convention adopted by (not only) airlines.

Tootle pip!!

30th May 2017, 13:23

Who says that one needs more than a PPL to fly any aircraft on private ops?

Not miserable about much. In Hollywood anything goes and folks strut around in uniforms while making movies all the time, but when an actor also does it in real life, it seems odd.

Some bus drivers have four bars. Some ships captains have four bars. JT with his own fleet, he can wear what he wants to.

Dont Hang Up
30th May 2017, 13:57
Some ships captains have four bars.

Don't they all?

I thought the thing was that airlines came along later, and some decided adopt naval insignia and some preferred the air force stripes.

Maybe I got that wrong.

TowerDog
30th May 2017, 14:01
. Some bus drivers have four bars. Some ships captains have four bars. JT with his own fleet, he can wear what he wants to.

But of course he can. He can fly with a Batman costume and my hat off to him if he did.
On the pictures however he appears to sport a Qantas Captain's uniform, flying a vintage Qantas aeroplane with the text saying he is fully qualified, blah, blah.
A guess a small correction on qualifications have struck a raw nerve with the Aussies. Sorry about that mate. :sad:

LeadSled
30th May 2017, 14:05
Quantas

TowerDog,
You could, at least, get the name of the airline correct.
Tootle pip!!

gerry111
30th May 2017, 14:41
So how about a bit of more positive comment? Who still remembers working on QF B707-138 aircraft? (I never did.) I reckon HARS needs to hear from those who have the time, resources and motivation to travel to the USA to bring this one home.

TowerDog
30th May 2017, 20:40
TowerDog,
You could, at least, get the name of the airline correct.
Tootle pip!!

Sorry about that, my bad.
I have flown cargo contracts for Qantas and enjoyed the crews and Australia, all good, but my fat fingers made a typo.

maggot
30th May 2017, 21:23
Id rather a batman costume than the white hat
Nananananananachecked.

AerocatS2A
31st May 2017, 04:32
But of course he can. He can fly with a Batman costume and my hat off to him if he did.
On the pictures however he appears to sport a Qantas Captain's uniform, flying a vintage Qantas aeroplane with the text saying he is fully qualified, blah, blah
He is fully qualified isn't he? To fly his B707 on private ops. As for the Qantas uniform, I suspect that would be because he is an ambassador for Qantas and some PR person thought it would look good.

Airbubba
31st May 2017, 05:56
I guess if I put up a story about John "Cat's Eyes" Cunningham, long tine Chief Test Pilot of DeHavillands (think Comet and Trident) some miserable and narrow minded sod here would say: "He wasn't a real pilot, he only had a PPL".

Which was the only full civil license he ever had.

Similarly, it has been claimed that Boeing test pilot Tex Johnston, who famously rolled the prototype of the B-707 in 1955 over Lake Washington, never got his instrument rating. He always flew with someone who could fly and land the plane in IMC. Or, so I've been told by more than one airplane buff over the years.

--- retired airline pilots still using the term "Captain" when they are no longer flying. Both are equally irrelevant.

The title, in the civil world, has no legal meaning, regardless of the size of the aircraft, it is merely an honorific, whether a person is currently flying or not, and a convention adopted by (not only) airlines

Use of the honorific is not common in the U.S. unless something is wrong and they are looking for someone to blame it on in my experience. It's kinda like when your mother addresses you using your full name, it's probably not a good sign. ;)

However, it is still used with varying degrees of politeness in the Middle East and Asia.

A famous Marine over at Delta 25 years ago had the initials of W.O.W. and insisted that his 727 crew members address him as 'Captain WOW'. :eek:

One of my friends used to fly with JT on the Gulfstream 2 in the early 1990's when he was at Spruce Creek near Daytona and speaks highly of him. I think the G-2 had a charter operation which Travolta could not fly with so there were two sets of paychecks to keep the feds happy.

JT donated the G-2, N492JT, to the Georgia Aviation Hall of Fame in Warner Robins. :D

JamieMaree
31st May 2017, 07:08
PRESS RELEASE
John Travolta’s Boeing 707 Aircraft
It gives me great pleasure to make this exciting historical announcement that my beloved Boeing 707 aircraft has been donated to the Historical Aircraft Restoration society (HARS) based in the town of Albion Park, approximately 90 miles (140 km) south of the city of Sydney in Australia.
As many of you will know, flying is a passion of mine and I am just so grateful to be fortunate enough to count many hours flying such a beautiful aircraft.
The aircraft was originally delivered to Qantas Airways in 1964 and was converted for private use after it finished its life with “The Flying Kangaroo”.
I was honoured to have the 707 repainted in the original Qantas colours when I became the ambassador for the airline, and it’s so fitting that many of the volunteers at HARS are retired Qantas employees.
The aircraft currently requires a lot of work to be restored to a safe flying state and having seen first hand the dedication and passion of people at HARS, I have no doubt this beautiful and historical aircraft will be flying again.
HARS have an impressive track record of restoring historical aircraft and I have personally flown in a Super Constellation that they restored to flying condition from almost nothing.
I am hoping to be part of the crew to fly the aircraft to Australia, supported by well qualified and experienced pilots and engineers.
In making this announcement, I would like to mention the significant support given by the Bendigo Bank Oak Flats and Shellharbour Community Bank Branches who as a local organization, have been very supportive of HARS’ efforts in aircraft restoration.
Thanks must also go to QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited Services for their significant support as well.
I am truly excited by this project and am just so pleased that this beautiful aircraft, for which I obviously have very fond memories, will continue to fly well into the future.
Thank you
For further information, please contact:-
Captain John Dennis
HARS Project Manager 707 Restoration

This is the guy who gave him the B747 400 endorsement .

LeadSled
31st May 2017, 07:17
Folks,
In my experience the title "Captain" is quite formal and a required form of address by all other airline company staff, when addressing the "pilot in command", particularly when customers are present ---- all about PR.

Indeed, in one pommie mob I worked for in B707 days, it was even full uniform and "Captain" even in the simulator. At one stage, with this mob, the Director of Flight Operations, appearing as a witness in an Employee Appeals Tribunal, advised the court his name was CAPTAIN David XXXXX, the retort from the bench was: "Why is the holder of a Queen's Commission working as a civilian --- or is yous name David XXXXX??". That even made the local newspaper, but he was too thick skinned to be embarrassed.

At another mob, I recall a brand new Captain, on his first trip, introducing himself, telling us that relaxed informality was the order of the day, Christian name on the flight deck, and his Christian names were "Captain" or "Sir", our choice --- he was ex-RAN and not joking.

For my money, if you were/are dependent on titles and/or uniforms for authority, you had/have already lost the game.

Tootle pip!!

Stationair8
31st May 2017, 07:37
Call me anything, but late for tea!

maggot
31st May 2017, 08:14
Captain Captain is an odd name indeed

bafanguy
31st May 2017, 08:21
Use of the honorific is not common in the U.S. unless something is wrong and they are looking for someone to blame it on in my experience. It's kinda like when your mother addresses you using your full name, it's probably not a good sign. ;)

Well and accurately stated, Sir !! :-)))

Fantome
31st May 2017, 08:54
my fat fingers made a typo.

. .. the merest quibble .. . . (forensically speaking , in a sense) . .. if you say you spelt Qantas, Quantas, due to the width of your finger tip(s) then you either have a non-standard key board or you are being a "little economic with the truth."

It would be a fine gesture if HARS invited every man and woman, they could locate , who crewed the seven-oh with Qantas, to a function welcoming the new arrival.

Ten years ago I went to the war vets at Narrabeen to see Ron Roberts (retired off 747s in '79.) He was for many years with check and training at Avalon on the 707. The visit was part of an oral history project. Ron spoke for 90 minutes onto the tape about his RAAF wartime on Cats. With Qantas on Sandringhams and then lastly the routine of a weekly commuter from Sydney to Avalon in the 707 days. He was particularly amusing talking about being checked on the Sandringham by John Solly.

kangaroota
31st May 2017, 10:21
I believe Danny Kaye flew big jets

B772
31st May 2017, 10:56
Danny Kaye did not like single engine aircraft so learnt to fly in a twin. Went solo after 10:25. I do not know the type but know he owned an Aztec. Ended up with a reasonable number of Lear hours.

TowerDog
31st May 2017, 19:55
. . .. the merest quibble .. . . (forensically speaking , in a sense) . .. if you say you spelt Qantas, Quantas, due to the width of your finger tip(s) then you either have a non-standard key board or you are being a "little economic with the truth."

Aye Mate, I made a mistake on the spelling and for that I apologize.
Fat fingers is analogy for spelling something wrong.
I bow my head in shame and trust you are never wrong Sir Superior.

chuks
31st May 2017, 21:30
I was flying once on a company-issued ticket that had me down as Captain Chuks when someone spotted that ... and asked me if I was perhaps in the Army.

Great for the ego, being taken for a guy in his mid-fifties who has never got beyond O-3! I just laughed and said that, no, I was a professional pilot on a company ticket, that was all.

In my opinion it's one thing to don a costume and act in a movie. It's understood then that John Travolta never killed anyone, even though we've seen him do that. To be there in a real aircraft; wearing a real Captain's uniform; being taken by many for being "fully qualified" even though you can read "B707 SIC PRIVILEGES ONLY" right there on the FAA page ... that is taking dressing up and playing Captain a bit too far.

I have had people tell me in great detail about how Travolta has an ATPL and a CFI and an FE, and, and, and ... when I suspect that Travolta's publicist is happy to see that happen. Travolta himself has never bothered to correct any mistakes about his qualifications, and that suggests that he's happy to use aviation for publicity purposes.

I remember once catching a bit of an Oprah broadcast where she told her select audience that they were all to be flown to Oz in an A380 piloted by John Travolta himself, so what about that? There was no need for that "APPLAUSE" sign that time, I can tell you. Travolta must have been on the jump seat saying "Oz is that way, Boys, so give her the berries!" Piloting ... without ever touching the controls, one assumes.

Airbubba
31st May 2017, 22:39
I found this history of the JT 707 in a blog post from several years ago:

After writing my last blog post about John Travolta’s 707, I became interested in the history of this classic airliner.

So, here it is. Ladys & Gentlemen fasten your seatbelts, the history of the John Travolta Boeing 707.

His 707-138B was built in 1964, constructed at Boeing Seattle and has Boeing Construction Number 18740 Line 388.

1964 John Travolta was 10 years old. Travolta first became enamored of aviation as a child. He observed the flight paths of the nearest airports, read books on aviation, and took special interest in Constellations, DC-6s and DC-7s. Attesting to his early charisma, he persuaded the girls in his neighborhood to don their Brownie uniforms to play flight attendants as he “captained” his backyard airliner.

On September 10, 1964 first owner became Qantas. It’s registration number became VH-EBM “City of Launceston”.

It was primary used for routes from Sydney to Asia and North/South America.
Since November 1, 1968 it was withdrawn from use and stored engineless at Sydney Airport. The same year in June it was already cancelled from the Australian Aircraft Register.

On June 7, 1969 new owner became Braniff International Airways. It’s registration number changed to N108BN.

From February 24, 1972 till 1975 it was owned by Frank Sinatra.

During this time, on October 20, 1973, it was again withdrawn from use and stored.

In June 1975 it was sold to Boeing.

In September 1975 it was again sold, this time to Kirk Kerkorian / Tracy Investments Corp (Tracinda / TIC).

Since September 26, 1977 it was owned by TAG Aviation, a holding company based in Luxembourg.

During this time it was also leased to Saudi Arabian Sheikh Akram, for short time.

On August 25, 1981 the 707 was again withdrawn from use, stored at Newark and ferried to Le Bourget for further storage in August 1983.

In December 1983 our 707 returned to service.

In November 1987 it has been sold to Trans Oceanic Aviation.

1988 - 1989 it was out of service again. During this time VIP interior was installed and it was modified with hush kits which converted it to a 707-138B(Q).

In July 1990, with a changed registration number to N707XX it returned to service.

In 1995 the ownage changed again to “Aviation Methods” and was ferried to Istanbul for storage on 29 October 1995.

In September 1996, with only 27,682 of total flying hours, it was offered for sale.

On May 20, 1998 it was finally registered to Jet Clipper Johnny LLC (John Travolta), sold on May 25, and changed registration on December 13, 1998 to N707JT “707 Jett Clipper Ella”. Named after his children “Jett” and “Ella”, Clipper in homage to legendary airline Pan Am, which used/uses “Clipper” in all their aircraft names.

In June 2002, the 707 finally returned home to Qantas, since Travolta participated in the Qantas “Spirit of Friendship” tour, because it was always his dream to be involved with a major airline in some way. He was piloting his own Boeing 707 on a thirteen city, 35,000 mile tour. He continues as Ambassador-at-Large for the Australia based Qantas Airways. For this campaign the plane was repainted in full classical Qantas “V-Jet” livery. The same livery that was used for the 707’s first flights, back in the old days.

John Travolta is a pilot with a life long passion for aviation. Since earning his wings in 1974, he has logged close to an astounding 5,000 flying hours. Literally every cent of his first paychecks went to flying lessons. He achieved qualification as a captain in the Gulfstream II, Learjet 24, Hawker 1A, Citation 1 and 2, Tebuan and Vampire Jet. He owns the type rating for the Boeing 707 and is certified for SIC privileges (Second In Command). Travolta keeps his skill up-to-date through continual refresher courses, training at American Airlines, SimuFlite and others.

John Travolta's Boeing 707 at Flightstory.net - Aviation Blog (http://blog.flightstory.net/45/john-travoltas-boeing-707/)

Another chronology with other details and some wonderful pictures of the plane here:

VH-EBM Boeing 707-138B (http://www.aussieairliners.org/b-707q/vh-ebm/vhebm.html)

morno
1st Jun 2017, 02:15
Interesting that back then, Qantas would operate a new aircraft for as little as 4 years and then retire it?

Why did they operate the 707's for so little time?

morno

-Alan-
1st Jun 2017, 06:55
I saw in another timeline that the aircraft was restored and painted at Luton,
So what was the aircracft I saw at Southend ? :)

Fris B. Fairing
1st Jun 2017, 07:04
Alan

I expect the aircraft you saw at Southend was VH-XBA formerly VH-EBA:

VH-EBA (http://www.adastron.com/707/qantas/VH-EBA.htm)

JT's aeroplane is the former VH-EBM which had a nosewheel collapse at Luton on 28 March 1977 while operated by Tracy Investments as N108BN.

VH-EBM (http://www.adastron.com/707/qantas/VH-EBM.htm)

There were only 13 B707-138s built and thanks to JT's generosity Australia will now have the first and the last as perfect bookends.

Does anyone have any local knowledge of the NLG collapse at Luton?

CurtainTwitcher
1st Jun 2017, 07:05
morno, in a word, the B747.

Entering the Jet Age (http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/history-jet-age/global/en?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D41319948969991360461223242047704678599%7 CMCORGID%3D11B20CF953F3626B0A490D44%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1496 300572)
Entering the Jet Age
When Gough Whitlam was in China, Qantas was there
Between July and September 1959, ahead of every other airline outside the US, Qantas took delivery of seven Boeing 707-138 jet aircraft. Boeing 707 services to the United States began in July. Two months later the service was extended to London via New York. Sydney-London services via India began in October.

So great were its advantages that Qantas modified its existing 707-138 fleet with the turbo-fans. With the arrival of its first 138B series aircraft, Qantas called its Boeings V-Jets, from the Latin 'vannus', meaning fan. Two more were ordered in 1963.

Four of the new 'B' version of the 707, fitted with revolutionary turbo-fan engines developed by Pratt and Whitney, were purchased in 1961. They offered lower fuel consumption, shorter take offs, larger payloads over longer distances and a faster cruising speed of 960km/h. Range, as always, was of critical importance to Qantas because of Australia's geographical isolation.

Qantas 707
The tail fins of all the 707 airliners were painted red with the V-Jet logo boldly displayed in white.

The Boeing 707 fleet was expanding rapidly. By 1964, 13 of the Boeing 707 jetliners were operating on most Qantas routes and the airline had begun selling its propeller driven aircraft. By March 1966 Qantas' Boeing fleet had reached 19 jets, six of which were the larger 707-338C series. Five more were on order.

In June 1966 Sir Hudson Fysh retired as Chairman of Qantas and was soon followed by the man most responsible for the post-war Qantas expansion, Chief Executive and General Manager Sir Cedric Turner. Captain R J Ritchie, who had taken a leading role in the building up of the fleet and network after the war, became General Manager. Sir Roland Wilson, a Qantas Board member, was the new Chairman.

The Jumbo Jet (http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/history-jumbo-jet/global/en)
In 1966 Qantas decided to standardise its fleet with the larger 338C series Boeing 707. In December the airline opened its luxury 450 room Wentworth Hotel in Sydney adjacent to the company's headquarters in Elizabeth Street.

In the late 1960s Qantas was evaluating an even bigger aircraft, the Boeing 747, soon to be known as the Jumbo Jet. Rather than accept the first 747 model, Qantas decided to retain its 21 707s and wait for the more advanced B series. An initial order for four Boeing 747Bs was placed in August 1967. Although this meant other airlines would operate the wide-bodied jet for nearly two years before Qantas took delivery, the B series had features suited to long-haul operations. It was a new era in air travel and the airline changed its name on 1 August 1967 to Qantas Airways Limited.

The first Boeing 747-238B aircraft went into service in September 1971. Qantas introduced a range of low fares offering travellers charter level prices with the benefits of scheduled services. As the fares represented huge savings, passenger traffic and revenue grew phenomenally despite sharp increases in fuel prices.

In 1974 Qantas established a then world record for carrying the most passengers when it evacuated 673 people on a 747 flight from Darwin after the city was devastated by Cyclone Tracy. The airline flew out a total of 4925 people.

Fris B. Fairing
1st Jun 2017, 07:09
Chuks

It's all very simple.
JT owned the aeroplane.
JT flew the aeroplane.
JT had an arrangement with Qantas.
What would you (or indeed Qantas pilots) have him wear? Jeans and tee shirt?

JamieMaree
1st Jun 2017, 08:04
Interesting that back then, Qantas would operate a new aircraft for as little as 4 years and then retire it?

Why did they operate the 707's for so little time?

morno

Despite what Curtain Twitcher said, the B707-138B model, which was the first model introduced to Qf, was relatively quickly superseded by the B707-338C model because the latter had superior performance all round.
I well remember the 138s which were sold to Braniff lined up at Mascot, ready to be delivered, painted pink, lime green, yellow, purple, maybe orange, in 1969.
Braniff went bust a few years later.

AerialPerspective
1st Jun 2017, 08:29
Alan

I expect the aircraft you saw at Southend was VH-XBA formerly VH-EBA:

VH-EBA (http://www.adastron.com/707/qantas/VH-EBA.htm)

JT's aeroplane is the former VH-EBM which had a nosewheel collapse at Luton on 28 March 1977 while operated by Tracy Investments as N108BN.

VH-EBM (http://www.adastron.com/707/qantas/VH-EBM.htm)

There were only 13 B707-138s built and thanks to JT's generosity Australia will now have the first and the last as perfect bookends.

Does anyone have any local knowledge of the NLG collapse at Luton?
Didn't think of it that way, good point. First and last.

Technically thought weren't there 7 707-138s built and 6 -138Bs with the first 7 being modified later to 'B' standard???

I always thought there was a letter missing somewhere in there so didn't realise it ended at 'M' but did know there were 13.

Fris B. Fairing
1st Jun 2017, 11:53
AP

Correct. I showed all 13 as 138s for simplicity. Here is a list of the first 7 showing conversion details:

THE QANTAS BOEING 707-138 TURBOFAN MODIFICATION PROGRAM (http://www.adastron.com/707/qantas/qf138-fanlist.htm)

Rgds

LeadSled
1st Jun 2017, 15:54
Fantome,
Ron---
There's a name from the past, I knew Won werry well.
Some will understand what I mean.
Tootle

HZ123
1st Jun 2017, 15:56
The SEN model was HZ-123 Saudi Royal Family; I believe the a/c had become redundant but as part of the Hawk deal it was fully refurbished at Southend as a gift for the King who died during the refurb period.

Its last Saudi role was use for the Saudi Ambassador to the UN. The aircraft was refurbed some years ago at SEN and then flown back to the collection via several stops that it needed to make and also had been serviced at its time with Qantas.

HZ-123 having been parked untouched for nearly 10 years was back in the air after 3 months. I must be assume that JT's is in far better condition. I believe that there is footage of the SEN exercise on U-tube.

morno
1st Jun 2017, 18:51
Interesting, thanks for the info. I totally forgot that they had 707-338's after the 138's.

morno

feueraxt
2nd Jun 2017, 09:50
Revealed: the cost of getting John Travolta?s plane from the US to Australia | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/93176940/revealed-the-cost-of-getting-john-travoltas-plane-from-the-us-to-australia)

Getting Hollywood star John Travolta's Boeing 707 from the United States to the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society, at the Illawarra Regional Airport in Australia, is expected to cost about A$1 million.

Restoration society president Bob De La Hunty said that expense was "not an unrealistic figure", and stressed the exposure generated by the aircraft and its star power would be invaluable for the Illawarra.
The former Qantas plane, which has also been owned by singer Frank Sinatra, requires a large amount of work before it can be flown to its new home at Albion Park
It seems to me that if the cost of getting the aircraft airworthy and flying it to Albion Park is about a million, including fuel, there can't be too much wrong with it.

pilotchute
2nd Jun 2017, 22:45
Not making money. If US tabloids are to be believed then old Mr Travolta doesn't have the cash to splash that he used too. As another poster mentioned the costs to keep a 707 airworthy would be eye watering.

Whatever the motives HARS will appreciate the gift very much.

34R
2nd Jun 2017, 22:50
Absolutely fantastic we are preserving some of these iconic representations of a bygone era.....well done!

Now all we need is one of the original Ansett or TAA 727-100's to be flown in as well :ok:

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
3rd Jun 2017, 02:57
Some ships captains have four bars.

Don't they all?

No they don't. A person with the rank of Captain in the Navy will have 4 bars, but a ships's captain can hold a lower rank, perhaps even down to a lowly Sub-Lieutenant. I would hazard a guess that all persons in command of a civil vessel would wear 4 bars though.

AerialPerspective
3rd Jun 2017, 03:47
AP

Correct. I showed all 13 as 138s for simplicity. Here is a list of the first 7 showing conversion details:

THE QANTAS BOEING 707-138 TURBOFAN MODIFICATION PROGRAM (http://www.adastron.com/707/qantas/qf138-fanlist.htm)

Rgds
Thanks for that... much appreciated!!!

Flying Binghi
3rd Jun 2017, 04:07
Now all we need is one of the original Ansett or TAA 727-100's to be flown in as well...

Just make sure the pilot is correctly dressed or the pprune clothing police will crack a fit..:E

LeadSled
3rd Jun 2017, 05:02
but a ships's captain can hold a lower rank,

Folks,
Was not the Captain of the HMS Endeavor one Lt. James Cook.
Tootle pip!!

Band a Lot
3rd Jun 2017, 09:37
It seems to me that if the cost of getting the aircraft airworthy and flying it to Albion Park is about a million, including fuel, there can't be too much wrong with it.

I would agree, but it could be under flight permits for ferry only. It may still require heavy maintenance here in Australia.

As part of John Travolta's Ambassador deal Qantas was meant to pick up the maintenance costs of this aircraft, I guess that not the case now. It certainly would cost less to maintain than a Joyce and far more liked.

AerialPerspective
3rd Jun 2017, 12:54
I would agree, but it could be under flight permits for ferry only. It may still require heavy maintenance here in Australia.

As part of John Travolta's Ambassador deal Qantas was meant to pick up the maintenance costs of this aircraft, I guess that not the case now. It certainly would cost less to maintain than a Joyce and far more liked.
Who cares about the money... I'd gladly donate a few dollars if it helped. This is an aeroplane with history and one which deserves to be preserved. It marks a part of history for many of us and our families.

Does say something about Boeing Aircraft though, I wonder how many Airbus' will still be flying 53 years after they rolled off the assembly line.

Band a Lot
3rd Jun 2017, 13:37
Who cares about the money... I'd gladly donate a few dollars if it helped. This is an aeroplane with history and one which deserves to be preserved. It marks a part of history for many of us and our families.

Does say something about Boeing Aircraft though, I wonder how many Airbus' will still be flying 53 years after they rolled off the assembly line.
Then do it I have before at +20k, don't talk do

TowerDog
3rd Jun 2017, 20:47
Just make sure the pilot is correctly dressed or the pprune clothing police will crack a fit..:E

No clothing police on PPRuNe, but if a dancing private pilot with a fat checking account all of sudden becames a Quantas Captain as per the pictures, it is too easy down under.:sad:
Looks like John Travolta is a national hero down there, you blokes go to the movies too much? :=

Lookleft
3rd Jun 2017, 22:26
Looks like John Travolta is a national hero down there,

It all started with the movie Grease. He was good friends with Olivia Newton-John so that was good enough for us (speaking on behalf of the entire country) to consider him an honorary Australian. Tom Cruise was likewise adopted when he married "our Nicole" but we (once again speaking on behalf of the entire country) had to pick sides when they divorced and now he is just another loud mouthed Yank.

Hope that helps.:ok:

TowerDog
3rd Jun 2017, 22:55
It all started with the movie Grease. He was good friends with Olivia Newton-John so that was good enough for us (speaking on behalf of the entire country) to consider him an honorary Australian. Tom Cruise was likewise adopted when he married "our Nicole" but we (once again speaking on behalf of the entire country) had to pick sides when they divorced and now he is just another loud mouthed Yank.

Hope that helps.:ok:

Aye, loud mouthed Yanks:
Quite a few of those around. :eek:
I saw the movie Grease when I first came to the USA in 1978 and in flight school. Enjoyed it, good vibes, romance, High School magic and culture.
John Travolta was the perfect lead actor for the part.
Olivia Newton-John was even better.
Sweet old days with Grease and Saturday Night Fever.
Yup, Nicole Kidman, another export item you blokes can be proud of.
As for wannabe Quantas Captains with fake uniforms, not my cup of tea, and all hell broke loose when I said fake.:sad:
Go get your ATR with a proper Type Rating dear John, and I will take my Captain's hat off to you.:ok:

Fris B. Fairing
3rd Jun 2017, 23:15
No clothing police on PPRuNe, but if a dancing private pilot with a fat checking account all of sudden becames a Quantas Captain as per the pictures, it is too easy down under.:sad:
Looks like John Travolta is a national hero down there, you blokes go to the movies too much? :=

TD
All that is after an edit? There may not be clothing police on PPRuNe but there are spelling police.

http://www.adastron.com/aviation/definitive/no-u/no-u.jpg

I used to like this document - until the day I found out there was no me in Qantas!

TowerDog
3rd Jun 2017, 23:23
. TD
All that is after an edit? There may not be clothing police on PPRuNe but there are spelling police.

Sorry again, I screwed up, as previously mentioned.
Is that all you got?

Fris B. Fairing
4th Jun 2017, 00:33
Is that all you got?

It'll do for the time being. However, topics for future discussion may include:

Sour Grapes
Green-Eyed Monster
Tall Poppy Syndrome

TowerDog
4th Jun 2017, 00:54
It'll do for the time being. However, topics for future discussion may include:

Sour Grapes
Green-Eyed Monster
Tall Poppy Syndrome

Knock yourself out Tiger.

Fris B. Fairing
4th Jun 2017, 01:32
Nah. Too busy saving old aeroplanes.

AerialPerspective
4th Jun 2017, 13:44
Interesting, thanks for the info. I totally forgot that they had 707-338's after the 138's.

morno
Yep. They were -338Cs - one of my favorite aeroplanes. Had my last flight on a Qantas one in 1976 from PER to MEL - we had a massive tail wind and the trip only took something like 2hrs and 40 mins from memory.

AerialPerspective
4th Jun 2017, 13:47
Then do it I have before at +20k, don't talk do
Wow... I'm not that rich, when I said a few dollars I meant something akin to $50... that is very generous of you Band a Lot, very generous indeed. Certainly if I had that sort of cash I would donate it. I've got some contacts that know people at HARS so I'll throw some cash their way.

Band a Lot
4th Jun 2017, 13:59
Wow... I'm not that rich, when I said a few dollars I meant something akin to $50... that is very generous of you Band a Lot, very generous indeed. Certainly if I had that sort of cash I would donate it. I've got some contacts that know people at HARS so I'll throw some cash their way.

That's old money now mate, and I don't have that cash to play with theses days.

But many chip in hard to Aviation often I have seen - but they need the passion.

Derfred
4th Jun 2017, 20:39
As another poster mentioned the costs to keep a 707 airworthy would be eye watering.

Maybe he can't afford to fit ADSB... :}:}:}

JammedStab
4th Jun 2017, 21:29
Apparently it was flown to Brunswick GA in December 2016.

I have operated a few aircraft at Brunswick, Georgia for heavy maintenence checks. Last time I was there, about 7 years ago, JT's 707 was there, so I assume that is where he gets his maintenance done.

Fris B. Fairing
4th Jun 2017, 22:29
JammedStab

That makes sense. I received a recent report stating that there are 4 other 707s at Brunswick in addition to N707JT.

TowerDog
2nd Jul 2017, 22:16
The ownership of N707JT was transferred to HISTORICAL AIRCRAFT RESTORATION SOCIETY LLC in Naples FL on June 29.

Not going to Oz after all.?

Capt Fathom
2nd Jul 2017, 22:30
HISTORICAL AIRCRAFT RESTORATION SOCIETY

Now where have I heard that name before. :E

3rd Jul 2017, 00:01
HISTORICAL AIRCRAFT RESTORATION SOCIETY LLC was founded on 2017-04-06 and has its registered office in Naples. The organisation's status is listed as "Active". Historical Aircraft Restoration Society Llc is a Limited Liability Company registered in United States of America (USA) with Wyoming Corporations Division

Maybe it is an offshoot of HARS (Albion Park) and was set up to facilitate the transfer of the aircraft.

There could be a lot of tax etc. implications.

Aloha_KSA
3rd Jul 2017, 10:24
Maybe it is an offshoot of HARS (Albion Park) and was set up to facilitate the transfer of the aircraft.

There could be a lot of tax etc. implications.

Exactly. "Wyoming Corporations Division"... Wyoming is one state that has very simple and easy corporate set up rules and no taxes on foreign corporations. (The others are Delaware and Nevada. Delaware is where the big dogs run, and I personally am very skeptical of any corporation out of NV) This is most likely a simple, cost-effective vehicle to facilitate the transfer. Nothing to see here people. All is well.

On a different note, looking forward to seeing this aircraft at next year's Air Show.

feueraxt
7th Dec 2017, 13:05
John Travolta to fly into Wollongong on Boeing 707 he's donated to HARS (http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/john-travolta-to-fly-into-wollongong-on-boeing-707-hes-donated-to-hars-20171207-h00yyk.html) Sydney Morning Herald - Andrew Pearson

John Travolta to fly into Wollongong on Boeing 707 he's donated to HARS

Hollywood star John Travolta has confirmed he'll be on board the Boeing 707 aircraft he's donating to the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS).HARS president Bob De La Hunty had flagged the plane wouldn't arrive without Travolta (http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4691122/plane-wont-arrive-in-albion-park-without-john-travolta/?cs=298) – and the movie megastar this week locked in his special appearance at the Illawarra Regional Airport.

https://www.fairfaxstatic.com.au/content/dam/images/h/0/0/y/z/1/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.h00yyk.png/1512646204044.jpg

John Travolta officially hands over his Boeing 707 to HARS members Peter Elliott (left), John Dennis and Frank Bowden at Brunswick's Golden Isles Airport in Georgia USA on Sunday. Photo: Andy Zakeli / Photography | HD Video | Wollongong/Sydney Australia | Lenswork | Andy Zakeli (http://www.lenswork.com.au) Travolta and his vintage passenger jet will touch down at the airport some time in 2018 the exact date is yet to be determined, but it is expected to be towards the tail-end of the year.

Mr De La Hunty told Fairfax on Thursday it was "fully intended" Travolta would be on the plane when it arrived on Australian soil from the United States.
https://www.fairfaxstatic.com.au/content/dam/images/h/0/0/y/z/y/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.h00yyk.png/1512646204044.jpg

John Travolta in 2003. Photo: David Callow "We wouldn't see it as being in our interest if we didn't bring him with us, so it's certainly the case," he said.

Mr De La Hunty said Travolta had indicated he would stay "quite some time" and was keen to go flying in "Connie", the society's Super Constellation aircraft, while in town.

Travolta revealed he had gifted the ex-Qantas plane – which bears the unique registration 707JT – to HARS in a shock announcement, made via social media, on May 27 (http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4690468/john-travolta-donates-his-boeing-707-to-hars-in-albion-park/).

At the time, Travolta – a qualified pilot and Qantas ambassador – said the plane needed "a lot of work to be restored to a safe flying state".

https://www.fairfaxstatic.com.au/content/dam/images/h/0/0/y/z/2/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.h00yyk.png/1512646204044.jpg

HARS president Bob De La Hunty first spoke with actor John Travolta about his Boeing 707 on a flight in 2009 Photo: Adam McLean "Having seen first hand the dedication and passion of people at HARS, I have no doubt this beautiful and historical aircraft will be flying again," he said in his announcement.

Mr De La Hunty said the project would cost more than the initial $1 million estimate (http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4697904/revealed-the-cost-of-getting-travoltas-plane-from-the-us-to-albion-park/) and there were "still many challenges and obstacles".

"We've only just been given a reasonable picture of what works need to be done with the aeroplane, so we're just evaluating all that at the moment," he said.

"It's many millions of dollars. We didn't expect anything less, but now that we know what we need to find we can break it down and work with the people who have shown interest in what we're doing."

HARS engineers have been in the US and held talks with the Federal Aviation Administration
Mr De La Hunty said the ongoing engineering discussions meant no firm arrival date could be given.

The "maintenance package" alone – when it begins – would take 120 days, he said.