PDA

View Full Version : PPL in the US

Seanmul89
20th May 2017, 11:14
Hey guys, looking to finish off my ppl in America, I know of a few easa schools, I only contacted one in Florida. Exams done here in Ireland with a class 2 and have about 25 hours to finish. Anyone do this before or a recommend a school in the US :) Thanks.

B2N2
20th May 2017, 12:10
Why not finish at home since you're halfway anyway.
Tickets and accommodation expenses will eat up any financial advantages a full course may have.
Besides I'm not sure how much you could be credited as you are switching training organizations.
Could be well more then 25 hrs to finish.

Seanmul89
20th May 2017, 14:37
Why not finish at home since you're halfway anyway.
Tickets and accommodation expenses will eat up any financial advantages a full course may have.
Besides I'm not sure how much you could be credited as you are switching training organizations.
Could be well more then 25 hrs to finish.

Hi, I'm not getting the consistency as much, I took 9 days leave from work and got 1 hour flying because weather, low cloud, high winds etc, a joke like. Yes weather can be bad in the US but if I was there for 9 days argument sake id get more than 1 hour done.
Flights won't be a problem either to Florida or West coast.
Driving distance from my home to airfield and tolls diesel etc it doesn't be long building up, I can budget for the states just as good only flying more frequent and hopefully finish with 3-4 weeks.

creweite
20th May 2017, 21:03
Google North Perry airport. The site gives links to couple of flight schools. APA is fairly new, run by Bob Diaz, did my BFR with him last year. He appears to be offering a fixed price package.
ATA is an older and larger operation with connections to the Florida Aero Club, Mike Punziano is the boss man. For years I was operating in the USA on the basis of a license based on my UK one, but then I converted to a US ticket with them.

B2N2
20th May 2017, 21:25
Use www.airnav.com and feed it airport names and you'll find business.

Mike Flynn
20th May 2017, 21:58
Google North Perry airport. The site gives links to couple of flight schools. APA is fairly new, run by Bob Diaz, did my BFR with him last year. He appears to be offering a fixed price package.
ATA is an older and larger operation with connections to the Florida Aero Club, Mike Punziano is the boss man. For years I was operating in the USA on the basis of a license based on my UK one, but then I converted to a US ticket with them.

North Perry is a nice little field and not as busy as some of the other locals such as Ft Lauderdale Exec.Give it a go.

Ebbie 2003
20th May 2017, 23:07
I agree North Perry (really, really complicated airspace) is a brilliant place to learn.

Not so sure on the EASA training there - I did FAA six years ago.

Wayman Aviation are there also NS Aviation (they may have EASA instructors).

BE aware you can't just rock up - post911 needs security checks, TSA, a training VISA etc. I remember when I went they had to take a photo of me next to one of their airplanes with the N number visible - so TSA could check the person who was there was the person who got the security vetting.

Factor in those costs (you will have to get certified fingerprints, and have a visa interview at an embassy) - summer is not good in Florida though - mornings are good, afternoons can be really bad for t.storms - I went up in Jan/Feb - 49-65F most days, but didn't lose a day due to bad weather. There were high winds only on the last day - the day of my checkride - none of the commercial guys wanted to risk it (they could have got a continuance) I did on day -1 for the the short field landing (we had winds gusting to 35kts with above the demonstrated x-wind for the 172) same deal next day, but since I was leaving the next day I gave it a go and in a brief lull go them fitted in and it worked out.

rudestuff
20th May 2017, 23:41
Sounds like you want an EASA licence. Do you intend to get a CPL or is it just for fun?
The reason I ask is that I would always recommend someone who's just getting a PPL as a stepping stone not to bother with an EASA licence, just get any ICAO PPL. Canada is really cheap at the moment, £73ph for a 152 and no TSA or Visa required

BEagle
21st May 2017, 07:26
However, you will need to validate and ultimately to convert any 3rd country PPL if you wish to fly EASA aircraft after 2019 at the latest in some EASA Member States who have applied the Art 12(4) derogation.

Pilot who only hold FAA PPLs and who are resident in the UK must now meet the requirements of ORS4 No.1220 if they wish to fly EASA aircraft (e.g. Cessna 152/172, PA-28) in the UK.

EASA aircraft does not mean 'EASA registered'.

Also, any EASA training will only be possible at an ATO or DTO after next April - RFs will no longer be permitted - and a DTO cannot be established outside an EASA Member State. Quite how many non-European ATOs will bother with the EASA PPL after Apr 2018 is frankly open to doubt.

rudestuff
21st May 2017, 14:10
Exactly. If it is PPL only, go for an EASA licence. If however it is going to be a stepping stone towards a CPL, I'd go for an FAA/TC/SACAA licence as it'll work out cheaper and quicker.
I stupidly did an EASA PPL in Florida whilst my room mate did an FAA licence. He got his licence on the spot and took every girl he met up flying. I had to wait months for a licence, and flew my hour building on a series of solo endorsements.

Seanmul89
21st May 2017, 20:11
Thanks again for the replies.
Yes my intention is to go CPL, my problem here is every time I want to go flying some of the aircraft is away on cross country, integrated students getting priority and so on. Then the weather sucks, like this week it's looking good again, tried booking an hour have to wait and see.

So some of you mention getting an FAA ppl, where do I stand now with the hours I have done and ground school? Do I have to sit exams again for FAA requirements? I've no problem getting everything sorted to do it abroad, my job is flexible for time off and paid leave.:)

Someone mentioned Canada doing the Ppl? Any more info:) cheers !

rudestuff
22nd May 2017, 21:54
The FAA will recognise all of your hours, dual and solo. You need 40 total, including 10 solo and 20 dual, 3 night (the PPL includes night privileges)
You'll have to do a written test. One exam converting all subjects. 60 questions. It'll be the shortest test of your life as they publish a book with all the answers.
You will have an oral exam as part of the flight test, but in your case a two week trip should finish you off.

Seanmul89
22nd May 2017, 23:52
The FAA will recognise all of your hours, dual and solo. You need 40 total, including 10 solo and 20 dual, 3 night (the PPL includes night privileges)
You'll have to do a written test. One exam converting all subjects. 60 questions. It'll be the shortest test of your life as they publish a book with all the answers.
You will have an oral exam as part of the flight test, but in your case a two week trip should finish you off.

Thanks :) I have about 20 hours now not much consistency, weather held me back a few times when I thought I was close to solo, I'm near ready just fine tuning a few bits now.
So for talk sake I go and do the FAA ppl get the certificate, start hour building then, where do I stand for doing Atpl? Can it be done here in Europe or will I have to convert the license to easa ? Its only recently I'm considering this so im still doing the research but if someone done it like this it is of great help too :)

B2N2
23rd May 2017, 01:19
If you lack any solo XC time you'll need a sign off from a FAA rated instructor. The minimum requirements are 3 hrs dual XC.
Also 3 hrs night dual with no solo.
3 hrs of basic instrument attitude flying.
The FAA PPL requires something called ground reference maneuvers.
You can look those up on YouTube.

Katamarino
23rd May 2017, 20:11
Also, any EASA training will only be possible at an ATO or DTO after next April - RFs will no longer be permitted - and a DTO cannot be established outside an EASA Member State.

I see EASA are intent on continuing the race to be the least relevant and most idiotic aviation authority worldwide.

Seanmul89
27th May 2017, 07:29
Hi, so if I go and finish the Ppl in the US and then hour build there in the new year, start doing the atpl while hour building but sit easa exams ? Does this work and also continue on with cpl/meir in Europe or will I have to complete all in US then convert? Or should I just do all in FAA?
If all went well and for talk sake I done all of it in America and I could get employed in the US when complete id go for that, I've no commitments in Ireland once it's done I'm open to go anywhere really!! Would love a start in America!!
What would you do in my place ?

rudestuff
27th May 2017, 10:16
To start an EASA modular CPL course, you need an ICAO PPL, so an FAA certificate and hour building is fine. You can go from that straight onto the CPL course.

Seanmul89
27th May 2017, 11:34
To start an EASA modular CPL course, you need an ICAO PPL, so an FAA certificate and hour building is fine. You can go from that straight onto the CPL course.

Well that ain't so bad. Hopefully I can finish up the Ppl within a few weeks and start building hours.

I got an email from a school and he sent a quote also from state.gov saying

Here is a quote from the US State Department's web site which will explain:

"Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, which is not for credit toward a degree or academic certificate, is permitted on a visitor (B) visa."

Whopity
28th May 2017, 09:40
I had to wait months for a licence, and flew my hour building on a series of solo endorsements. All technically flown illegally! I know it went on but it was illegal!

B2N2
28th May 2017, 10:44
Well that ain't so bad. Hopefully I can finish up the Ppl within a few weeks and start building hours.

I got an email from a school and he sent a quote also from state.gov saying

Here is a quote from the US State Department's web site which will explain:

"Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, which is not for credit toward a degree or academic certificate, is permitted on a visitor (B) visa."

Incorrect.
You need an M1 visa for PPL training.

Seanmul89
28th May 2017, 15:34
Incorrect.
You need an M1 visa for PPL training.

Well that's why I ask, that was a quote from the US.gov since it is an accelerated course, but also been issued a certificate it does require a visa. But I'll clear it up again.

B2N2
28th May 2017, 23:59
Well that's why I ask, that was a quote from the US.gov since it is an accelerated course, but also been issued a certificate it does require a visa. But I'll clear it up again.

The part that they ( and you) quote does not pertain to flight training but to non vocational courses like language training.
Flight training towards the issuance of a license requires an M1 visa and only 14 CFR Part 141 schools can issue the I-20 for your visa application.

Seanmul89
29th May 2017, 12:10
The part that they ( and you) quote does not pertain to flight training but to non vocational courses like language training.
Flight training towards the issuance of a license requires an M1 visa and only 14 CFR Part 141 schools can issue the I-20 for your visa application.

I understand that's why I said been issued a cert, in my case an FAA ppl(all going well) requires the visa to obtain it.
I copied and paste the quote this didn't come from my own knowledge. Thanks :)

Seanmul89
1st Jun 2017, 22:14
Hey all, again I'm looking into going to the US, I am in talks with a school in San Diego and Florida, the one in San Diego is recommending I finish my ppl through the EASA programme 2-4 weeks they quote depending where I'm at, but I'm been told by others if I am going for commercial to do FAA cert.

Im going to the US to finish it no matter, I was hoping to have my ppl here complete by end of summer but it won't happen with work too, if I take 3 weeks leave to finish it here I'm not guarantee the weather at least my 3-4 weeks in the states I'll get alot more done .

Martin_123
2nd Jun 2017, 14:53
hi Seanmul89, mind me asking what school is prioritizing integrated over modulars? PM if you like, I'm due to start my CPL/ME/IR training soon, wouldn't like to be messed around like that.

Seanmul89
2nd Jun 2017, 21:54
hi Seanmul89, mind me asking what school is prioritizing integrated over modulars? PM if you like, I'm due to start my CPL/ME/IR training soon, wouldn't like to be messed around like that.

Hi Martin, no it's only the ppl I'm finishing, but I want to finish in the US. It's modular I'm doing, my point is the school in the US is recommending I finish through EASA but I wanted info on doing the FAA ppl, some guys here just said to go FAA route if I am to go Commercial level.
I don't mind either I'm just wondering what's best? FAA or EASA?

PilotNLDK
3rd Jun 2017, 10:39
I checked up on doing the same modulair route in the US.
As Im more focusing on California(because the weather is way more stable over there than in Florida), I got in touch with AAA in San Diego.
They offer both FAA and EASA PPL programs and you can use both of them to start with their CPL/ATPL course.
Still, they recommended me to do their EASA program, because they said it is better if you want to fly in Europe later on.

rudestuff
3rd Jun 2017, 18:19
I did an EASA (actually JAA) PPL in the US, and I regretted it. I wish I'd done FAA.

It makes sense to finish in the States because of both price and weather. If you intend to get a CPL, then the PPL is only a stepping stone, so it doesn't matter which one you do: EASA/FAA/TC/SACAA Being the obvious ones. If you're doing it in the States, it makes sense to go FAA because (a) all schools teach it, not many teach EASA and they charge a premium. (b) there is only one written test, and the Prep course and exam will be about £100. Much cheaper than taking 9 exams. (c) You will be issued a temp certificate on the spot for free. No sending logbooks to Gatwick, paying a fortune and waiting a month before you can fly.
I remember having to do my hour building solo whilst my FAA mates were taking every man and his dog up for rides.

Seanmul89
4th Jun 2017, 00:58
I did an EASA (actually JAA) PPL in the US, and I regretted it. I wish I'd done FAA.

It makes sense to finish in the States because of both price and weather. If you intend to get a CPL, then the PPL is only a stepping stone, so it doesn't matter which one you do: EASA/FAA/TC/SACAA Being the obvious ones. If you're doing it in the States, it makes sense to go FAA because (a) all schools teach it, not many teach EASA and they charge a premium. (b) there is only one written test, and the Prep course and exam will be about £100. Much cheaper than taking 9 exams. (c) You will be issued a temp certificate on the spot for free. No sending logbooks to Gatwick, paying a fortune and waiting a month before you can fly.
I remember having to do my hour building solo whilst my FAA mates were taking every man and his dog up for rides.

When you say it like that it does make sense :) . I don't mind obtaining either, but I have my mind set on the FAA route. Say I get the cert, to hour build that would be my ideal trip to the states throughout the year while I study Atpl.
By the time I log hours here In Ireland with weather etc the same time I could take 10 days leave or 2 weeks and head to the US and build a good few hours, in them 2 weeks I be lucky to get decent time logged here at home.

I've been chatting with AAA also and they are pushing for me to do EASA while the school in Florida is having no problem with me coming over to do FAA cert.

I've been to Texas in November 16 and January this year and wished I had my cert for those times, so a trip abroad is no problem.
I've 20 hours logged, to finish in the US realistically if I put my head down and really thrive for it I should complete within 2-4 weeks all going well.
Thanks for the replies also :)

PilotNLDK
5th Jun 2017, 17:10
Does it mean that you can not fly with FAA license in Europe, or can you still fly with N-registrations in Europe?

Seanmul89
6th Jun 2017, 10:52
Does it mean that you can not fly with FAA license in Europe, or can you still fly with N-registrations in Europe?

Not 100% sure, but I read somewhere with an FAA cert you can fly an N reg or EI reg plane, (in my case ireland) within our airspace, if leaving the airspace you would need permission from IAA and so on, that's probably were it will get messy.
But if this is right I'll be happy to do some hours just within Ireland and the US.

r10bbr
6th Jun 2017, 17:56
Hi Sean honestly stay away or be very sceptical of AAA, they may promise you the world but it may end up different, i went there to finish my license but was unable to, i was promised very similar to you the time frame of finishing the license what resulted was paying more than what i was told and my trip extending then what i initially was told and a complete let down please message me privately if you want me to discuss the matter!!!