PDA

View Full Version : Departure minimum

Fuji Abound
11th Jul 2002, 22:02
Having posted a question about approach minimum for IMC rated pilots another area I have been confused by contradictory posting in the past is departure minimum for single engine operation. Now I am not referring to the RVR but the height at which you enter IMC. Again, I am interested in the difference between what is recommended and the legal requirement. It would also be interested to know what people actually feel comfortable with for single engine operation. I think the question is also a very practical one particularly for coastal departures where there are many occasions the aircraft will enter IMC very early after departure and quickly climb VMC on top with the base inland being considerably better.

Fujiflyer
11th Jul 2002, 22:17
:) :)

According to my T Thom IMC Manual the AIP recommends (non-mandatory) a 600ft ceiling (as well as specifying the 1800 metres mandatory "in-flight visibility" - RVR if your on the ground???).

Talk to you later,

Fujiflyer ;)

eyeinthesky
12th Jul 2002, 10:56
I agree that the recommended minimum is 600ft for single engine, and many Ops manuals for twin engined operations will specify a ceiling for departure. The ones I have flown with have been 100ft ceiling and the relevant airport RVR departure minimum.

With ref to the quick blast through a thin low layer of cloud to VMC on top, you need to consider your options if your only donk quits. With a 600ft cloudbase you have a chance of pulling off some sort of survivable forced landing (terrain permitting), lower than that and I suggest you would have to be very lucky.

But all this is common sense and not LAW!