PDA

View Full Version : Follow me service

Balthazar B
12th May 2017, 12:43
Does anyone know how much the "follow me" service costs?
Obviously, it'll vary from country to country, can anyone give me a general idea?
Cheers.

chevvron
12th May 2017, 16:33
If you mean a 'Follow Me' vehicle to lead you to a stand, surely it's all part of the handling fee.

good egg
12th May 2017, 18:09
Providing you only need it for (very) Low Vis Operations and maybe radio fail then I'd be astonished if there was any charge

chevvron
13th May 2017, 03:10
Not necessarily. At Palma for instance, irrespective of weather, a Follow Me vehicle meets the aircraft as it approaches the apron, leads it to a stand and then the marshaller leaps out and marshalls the aircraft to a stop.

Denti
13th May 2017, 04:23
Really? Not necessarily in my experience, especially if there is a guidance system at the parking position.

WHBM
20th May 2017, 22:13
Providing you only need it for (very) Low Vis Operations and maybe radio fail then I'd be astonished if there was any charge
There are a number of European countries where it is provided as standard for all movements. Yes it seems strange to those from the UK.

In Russia certainly it is provided for all Western movements. Ground vehicles are driven by those with no English, so for overall coordination a Follow Me picks up landing Western aircraft and leads them to/from stand, where they are marshalled. Ground radio is in Russian so all who don't have the Follow Me can understand all movements.

Piltdown Man
20th May 2017, 23:52
It is a weird procedure and as far as I can tell more of a job creation project than a service. But slightly more useful than the marshaller on stand or AGNIS/VDGS only because it's the driver's fault if you end up on the wrong stand. These "services" are not optional and are included most airport's landing fees. Either way you land you pay.