PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel flying San Diego area

Makamba
8th May 2017, 18:10
Hi All,

I am currently on a project in Tecate, Mexico for the next couple of months, and looking for some tailwheel flying in the area (with instructor, as I only have a EASA licence). I already checked Brown Field, San Diego, but access seems to be a little bit difficult.

Anyone have any suggestions, and/or contact details?

Much appreciated.

Pilot DAR
8th May 2017, 19:06
Hi Makamba,

Have a look at Gillespie Field, which is 13 miles east of San Diego, in El Cajon.

While you're in San Diego, their air museum is really good, and the USS Midway aircraft carrier in the harbour is a great place to spend a day.

Makamba
8th May 2017, 20:06
Thanks DAR,

I will check out Gillespie field. Visited USS Midway last weekend, which was great. Will visit the air museum in the next couple of weeks.

SDVFR
8th May 2017, 21:42
Also check out PlusOneFlyers.org at Montgomery Field (KMYF). Glen Daly is an excellent tailwheel instructor. He may also operate out of Gillespie.

piperboy84
8th May 2017, 21:45
And if you fancy straying further afield the aviation museum at Palm Springs is well worth a visit, some of the old boys giving the tours actually flew the planes on display.

Silvaire1
9th May 2017, 02:36
I'd suggest calling First Flight at Brown and getting the gate code to facilitate access. They have a Champ that rents for peanuts ($65/hr wet as I remember). Alternately (or better additionally) visit EAA Chapter 14 at the east end of the field for their open house on Saturday mornings. The average age is creeping up to about 90 :) but they may be able to help, certainly some sporadic younger visitors to the breakfast could help you.

BTW, the prior tower frequency was 126.50 but now they've changed it.

Gillespie is actually the better airport with lots to see but I'm not sure who there rents a tailwheel plane with instructor.

PM me if you have questions on the above, I may be able to help connect you.

Makamba
9th May 2017, 05:45
Hi guys,

Thanks for the good tips. I will check them out. @silvaire1, I will contact you soon.