PDA

View Full Version : JAA/FAA instructor?

Bramsen
11th Jul 2002, 19:20
Hey folks,

I just spoke to a mannager at a flight schol in Florida. He told me that if I did both JAA/FAA instructor ratings I would have nearly a 100% chance of getting a FI job somewhere in the US, because the schools are in need of instructors that can teach both sides. I am just wondering if this is the right case since there are a lot of very good instructors strugling to get a job.

Best wishes to you all...

GoneWest
11th Jul 2002, 19:43
Dual rated - I would say "yes"....but would also depend on visas (right to work in USA) and on current experience.

Bramsen
11th Jul 2002, 21:42
hmm guess it would be problem to build hours that way. If i train on my M1 Visa and get the boot right after completing I need to get a working permit. That must difficult to get someone to hire a new FI with no experience and no working permit,even if dual rated?

GoneWest
11th Jul 2002, 23:22
Well...being dual rated would certainly help towards a work permit - 'cause you'd be going for a job that a citizen cannot do.

However, if you are doing it "to build hours" don't expect much assistance from the would be employers.

Limey
7th Aug 2002, 21:59
An FAA flight instructor can be signed off to teach JAA syllabus after a brief checkride (only valid while staying with that school)

Meeb
8th Aug 2002, 12:09
<<An FAA flight instructor can be signed off to teach JAA syllabus after a brief checkride (only valid while staying with that school)>>

That is not correct. Any new foreign qualified instructor wanting to teach towards a JAA licence or rating has to undergo a standardisation course as laid out in the FTO's CAA approved Ops manual. There is no laid out minimum but it has to be approved into the manual by the authority. A ballpark figure would be 15hrs flight training with 30hrs ground school. The instructor would then need to have a flight test with an examiner acceptable to the authority. This examiner need not be a FIE if only PPL instructing will be conducted. If the instructor will be conducting training towards a JAA commercial licence then the test will in all probabilty be with a CAA staff FIE.

'I' in the sky
10th Aug 2002, 09:10
Out of curiosity, the manager of which school ?

Was he actually offering you a job subject to becoming dual qualified ?

Was he possibly trying to sell you training at his school ?

Whilst there are possibilities anyone who tells you you have almost a 100% chance is IMHO being somewhat unrealistic.

Bramsen
10th Aug 2002, 13:16
I dont think the managers identity is important here
No he did not offer me a job after completing my education, infact he told me that he was not able to promiss me anything, which I atleast think is an honest answer.
Yes, he was trying to sell me training at the school and thats why I went to see that school in the first place.

I know there is no guarenties and I am not looking to get an guarentee off anything. I am just trying to get myself an overview here, and to get as much info as I possibly can. If i start training in the US and get dualrated instead off just JAA rated, would i have a better shot to get that first job whether its cropdusting, instructing, meat bombing or anything on wings.

Regards

Limey
10th Aug 2002, 21:55
Meeb,

Think about it ! I think you are missing the point !

15 Hours it may be but if you are doing an FAA CFI course at a school that has JAA approval and the CFI teaching you has FAA/JAA licenses then your 15 hours will probably be part of your FI training

Moral of the story if you want to teach both FAA and JAA then gain your flight instructors rating at a school that teaches both, and it is easier to gain an FAA instructors rating and add JAA then to try the other way around (basically because the FAA are a hell of a lot more logical than good old CAA - Bless their little hearts !)

Meeb
12th Aug 2002, 10:50
Limey, nice try but it does not work that way. Any training for a FI rating would be for either FAA or JAA, not both at the same time.

As for doing FAA first then adding JAA, when I did my CFI rating (conversion from CAA/509 approved instructor) I remember reading in the regs that there was no formal course of training for a CFI, but maybe thats changed now. Given that scenario, you would have to do the JAA first.

Upshot is, do one then the other, which way round would have to be worked out by someone who knows and trains to both systems.

Bramsen, ask the manager you spoke to to explain the logistics of it all, then tell us!

To answer your question, I think he is right that you would be more employable.