PDA

View Full Version : Duxford

formationfoto
11th Jul 2002, 18:56
Anyone going to Duxford this weekend?
I am probably there snapping for the mag photo library on one of the days - depends on the best weather. Has to be better than the last event which was quite grey. I'll be the one with the big lens which acts as compensation for being minimally endowed - or at least I am told that to be the psychological basis for my interest in long lens photography.

AerBabe
11th Jul 2002, 18:58
Do you have a powerful flash for taking photographs of the moon too? ;)

formationfoto
11th Jul 2002, 19:01
It certainly doesn't take me long - which I believe to associated with my earlier point!. I do it with digits - my pixel count is impressive.

Cusco
11th Jul 2002, 21:05
Sadly the day job will keep me away from Duxford this year.

But have you ever considered leaving your cameras at home and taking (beg it or borrow it: a UHER would do nicely) the best quality tape recorder you could manage, and just record the sounds of the Merlins and the Bristols.

Hours of guaranteed relaxation when you get home listening to the *sounds* rather than looking at the cr*ppy distant photos of a blur on the horizon.

I've always fancied doing it but never been able to get the kit.

Enjoy the weekend

Safe flying

Cusco.

formationfoto
12th Jul 2002, 07:40
Cusco
Good thought - I am an ex radio producer so perhaps this shoul dhave occurred to me but I haven't done this. The picture taking thing has a purpose though - we are building up a library of pictures for an aviation magazine. So far they have not asked for audio on the basis that they haven't found a way to get it onto the pages I guess :).

We are talking about capturing video so this goes part of the way to your requirement but the sound quality would be better with a Uher or Nagra I agree.

If you see someone at one of these events with two digital still cameras, a semi pro video camera, and some sound kit, you will know that I have taken your advice.

Danza
12th Jul 2002, 09:27
Formationfoto, what mag do you take pictures for? or are you just freelance?. How did you get into it as it sounds a nice area of work to get into?. Have you've got any links/info about getting into avition photography?

:)

If the weather looks good I'll probably go to Duxford but it's a long drive from Liverpool. :(

formationfoto
12th Jul 2002, 09:35
Danza
I run a small web and photo archive team for PILOT magazine. There are plenty of very good freelance photographers out there creating some stunning pictures and PILOT uses these a lot. My team are responsible for building an archive of material rather than generating that one shot which will sell to a wide range of magazines.

Liverpool to Duxford is a bit of a run - about an hour by air or four hours by road - I used to live and work on Merseyside and have recently had to do the Liverpool / Norwich run and when I am unable to go by air it is a real pain by road.

rex
12th Jul 2002, 09:51
Hi formationfoto

I am going on Sunday, weather permitting I will be flying. If you are there with your big lens I wouldn't mind a piccy, but my slot is 09:30 (local I presume).

Any how I would like to chat about aviation photos, photography being another one of my pursuits.

See ya there

:)

REX

PS the wx looks okayish for Sunday on the Met web site.

stiknruda
12th Jul 2002, 18:04
Cusco/FormationFoto

Next time I see you at the same aerodrome, I'll introduce you to each other!

Might even be at LKI.

Stik

distaff_beancounter
12th Jul 2002, 19:08
formationfoto For those of us who manage to get to Duxford this weekend, by air or road, how will we recognise you?

Apart from the "two digital still cameras, a semi pro video camera, and some sound kit" could you manage something distingushing please, such as a red rose between your teeth ;)

PS. anyone know what time Duxford opens for cars on Sunday, please?

formationfoto
12th Jul 2002, 20:59
Distaff
I have a feeling gates open at 8.30 both days. It looks at the moment as if I will be travelling there by car on Sunday as I haven't arranged a slot time. Sunday weather looks best.
Not sure how I will get spotted - must get a high vis vest with PILOT on it - maybe thats an idea for PPRUNE high vis vests - so many places seem to require them.

Firstly I'll probably be in the media pen which narrows down a bit (if the last show is anything to go by this will be at the end of the runway and positioned to give a worse view than the public get!).

I will have a yellow high vis vest with me (but trying to avoid wearing it). Beyond that I'll have a large black heavy duty camera case. Can't think of anything more distinctive that I can be certain to wear irrespective of weather.

You could always try my mobile 07802 611647 around mid day and I can confirm whether I am there and if so where I am.

Toebrake
14th Jul 2002, 08:55
A bit late now but for future ref:-

A UHER tape recorder is very dated tech (and always liable to jam in my experience)

You are far better off with a Minidisc recorder these days (Much cheaper too).

formationfoto
15th Jul 2002, 07:31
Didn't catch any obvious PPRUNE types at Duxford although from some of the other posts obviously a number of you were there. Was there Sunday from 12:00 (by road sadly) and great weather, great location, great display - what more can I say. Flying Legends rocks - the photo library is building. Can't help thinking that I would be better off not going to the press enclosure and taking my chances in the crowd - trying to get decent photos and video with other members of the noble profession simply spectating is a bit of a pain but it isn't easy to get these things right.

rex
15th Jul 2002, 19:16
Hi FF

Well I didn't spot you Sunday, probably no red rose:D !. Any how it was such a great day. To be honest this is the first airshow that I have flown to, a bit extravagant for a hirer, but well worth it. The views from the "other side" were great and felt more alive.
My friend who came along with me was gob smacked. He's not a flyer ( mind you he is into r/c models) and I am not sure what got me the most, flying to an event like Duxford Flying Legends or seeing the look on his face, Cheshire Cat or what!

Well worth it.

Any body going to RIAT on Sunday.

REX:cool:

PS Maybe we should all have big PP badges or use the forum to arrange a meeting place for events like this.