PDA

View Full Version : How many hours should I put to side after passing.

IG43
4th May 2017, 11:47
Hi everyone I am just starting the exciting route of learning to fly. An experience pilot and good friend is helping me through the process after many years of sitting next to him he has convinced me to take the plunge.

I was wondering how many hours the average private pilot actually flies during the year. I want to do as many as I can afford to stay competent and safe after passing but just a question that I have been asked a couple of times and have no idea.

I think my wife wants to know how much spare time she is going to have :D

PA28181
4th May 2017, 15:11
Which aircraft and how much spare cash have you got?

It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question. You will get all the minted up types here with, "I only fly the Bonanza a hundred or two hours a year" or, " I managed at least to keep current in the tatty c150 at my local field." from the less well heeled.

Where do you want to fly to? Europe,USA Oz NZ, or just local bimbling etc etc, all will dictate what you personally can afford in time and money.

tobster911
4th May 2017, 15:29
You will get all the minted up types here with, "I only fly the Bonanza a hundred or two hours a year" or, " I managed at least to keep current in the tatty c150 at my local field." from the less well heeled.
Sadly very true. It all depends on how deep your pockets are. I reckon the 'average' private pilot, assuming they only fly for leisure (i.e no hour building or require to progress onto different ratings etc) probably does in the region on 15-40 hours per year. However, you may invest in a share, allowing reduced cost flying and so do 100+ hours pa. All dependant on £££ unfortunately. One of the rare hobbies that requires a heavy wallet to do a lot of. I'm always asking myself: 'Why can't I just enjoy racing RC cars, or collecting stamps? I'd have so much more spare cash'

Where are you going to be learning?

FZRA
4th May 2017, 15:34
It's a while since I had to keep a PPL current as I now fly commercial, but if I remember rightly you need to do minimum 12 hours flying per year in order to revalidate your license "by experience" - or else it's a check-ride with an instructor. I'm sure someone on here will correct me but it's something like that!

I had one or two years where I was only able to fly the bare minimum due to money (around 12 hours = £1000 of flying in a Cessna) and it was ok BUT I was a member at a very active club which had lots of fly-outs. I was often able to join other pilots in the right seat (and of course offer to pay for lunch and landing fees) and in turn they would be happy for me to do the radio and map-read which kept me "in the game" so to speak.

I also teamed up with other members where possible for days out: for example Essex - Isle of Wight is 1 hour flying time in a Cessna = £100ish and then the other guy can fly back after a nice day out and some time for lunch. If you do that alone, then of course it's 2 hours in the logbook but it starts to become an expensive day out...

alex90
4th May 2017, 16:20
I hear of a lot of people struggling to keep up their minimum number of hours over the 2 year period... It just depends on individual circumstances.

I fly a lot more than that - but I've been told that I am atypical in this respect by several FI / CRI.

ChickenHouse
4th May 2017, 17:46
This is a somewhat difficult question.
My personal rules'o'thumb are:

Try to stay well clear of the minimum 12 hours a year, it's potential dangerous for you.

When taking your partner, do at least 50 hours a year.

When taking somebody else, do at least 100 hours a year.

When doing above 150 hours a year, ownership is more advisable than charter.

My personal average now after the high times is about 175 hours a year and I am comfortable with my skills for VFR. If I would still go IFR, 200 would be my minimum comfort level.

What is 'an average pilot'? Most pilots at my home field are called high-timers at 50 hours and the average may be somewhere around 35, which I see kind of critical.

NYBM
4th May 2017, 18:14
This is a somewhat difficult question.
When taking your partner, do at least 50 hours a year.

When taking somebody else, do at least 100 hours a year.

Huh. I'd have put these the other way round :)

On low hours, would it make sense to fly for just part of the year? Have the winter off, then a checkride at the beginning of summer to knock the dust off and blow through the annual budget over a few months?

9 lives
4th May 2017, 19:01
Welcome IG43,

I like ChickenHouse's numbers.

In my opinion, if you only fly an hour a month, that's the most bare of minimums, and would have to be pretty well all circuits and practicing emergencies to maintain your minimum skills.

I suggest that you plan 50 hours more or less equally spaced throughout a year, to maintain, and slowly build your skills.

alex90
4th May 2017, 19:48
When doing above 150 hours a year, ownership is more advisable than charter.

In my experience, and calculations, although obviously greatly depending on the fraction of ownership, type of aeroplane etc... I have found that the break-even point is often lower than 70 hours per year compared to UK club rates (including mortgage (of around £10k over 5 years) per annum costs at current interest rates). In fact the Arrow that I fly vs a club that I am a member of at a different airfield, the break even is actually 35 hours per year!

I am calculating this with all in costs, membership of club + 35 tacho hours rental versus £10k share in same year Arrow paid over 5 year mortgage, insurance, maintenance, parking, annual, 50 hour checks, engine fund, incidental cover...etc... Split between 4.

Huh. I'd have put these the other way round
haha - i agree entirely!!

I think those figures are a little high for taking somebody else CH (unless you mean you are chartering?)

I suggest that you plan 50 hours more or less equally spaced throughout a year, to maintain, and slowly build your skills.
I like that number, 1 hour per week, generally keeps you happy! I also do emergency training by myself at least once a month, and with an instructor at least once every 2 months!

Maoraigh1
4th May 2017, 20:30
If you buy a share in a cheap but capable Permit aircraft, such as a Jodel DR1050, you can get the flying much cheaper, including Night and limited IMC.