PDA

View Full Version : BA - Longhaul only

surly_bonds
11th Jul 2002, 15:02
Any truth in the rumour that BA would like to pull out of shorthaul operations and franchise the lot as a feeder service?
Financially it would seem to make sense.

expedite_climb
11th Jul 2002, 15:09
errrrrr....... isnt that the opposite of what they have done with Cityfler and cityexpress (Brymon / BRAL) ??

I doubt it then !

Martin A
11th Jul 2002, 15:38
Good old one, as they say the old ones are the best !
History suggests that loss of feeder services is road to ruin. franchising sounds good until your franchisees decide they can do without you ! A long hual without a feed is either not very profitable or a lot smaller airline. Always easier to find alternative work for say a737-400 etc than a 747-400!
TTFN
Martin A

kala87
11th Jul 2002, 15:47
The Delhi phone book still has an entry for the British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC)!

Do they know something we don't?

Roobarb
11th Jul 2002, 17:17
If there weren’t any BA shorthaul, why would anyone want to go to LHR just to catch a BA longhaul flight? Far better to go to one of the European hubs where planning and investment have produced a far nicer environment for the international passenger, and where the Scruggs Airlines product seamlessly transfers them from Kleinstadt Deutschland to Biggsville USA.

Supermarkets sell all products, not just beer and fags. They provide a one-stop shop, so should BA. Their problems don’t stem from operating aeroplanes, just from operating the corporate leviathan. They don’t need to pull out of shorthaul, they need to pull out of Waterside.

http://www.sausagenet.freeserve.co.uk/roobarb/roohorn.gif

I’ll take on the opposition anyday. It’s my management I can’t beat!

Carnage Matey!
11th Jul 2002, 21:33
Quite right Roobarb! I was most interested to read in the latest Pravda that Waterworld has 184 meeting rooms available for use by staff at Waterside, excluding dedicated training and special purpose rooms. Might go some way to explaining why nothing ever gets done and were bleeding money.

Dan Winterland
11th Jul 2002, 21:54
Perhaps they could split the short haul operation off, make it a low cost operator and give it a snazzy new name such as British Easy Airlines. BEA for short. :D

fueldump
11th Jul 2002, 23:20
P, what exactly does "SNAFU" stand for. Is it your code for LBFM

christep
12th Jul 2002, 04:33
SNAFU = Situation Normal - All F**ked Up

Dan Winterland
12th Jul 2002, 10:31
The next stage after SNAFU is FUBAR. F****d Up Beyond All Recognition.