PDA

View Full Version : STCA, configuration & Parameters

config.sys
11th Jul 2002, 12:59
Hello there,

I am shortly to be involved in the configuration of a new Radar System at our unit. This will include the setting of STCA parameters.

If you are/were involved in setting up STCA parameters, please let me know, so that I can get some guidance.

Thanx in advance

config.sys

On the beach
11th Jul 2002, 13:23
Hi config.sys

Also looking for the same advice. We will be going down the RVSM road later this year and are trying to come up with parameters to apply to/against non-RVSM compliant a/c flying through the RVSM band. E.G the Gulfstream that wants to climb to FL450 through the RVSM band but isn't RVSM compliant. Are there any radar fixes out there that can recognise a non-RVSM a/c and apply normal 2,000 ft infringement warnings. Or is this just paranoia?

To go back to your query we are currently looking at applying TCAS II RA parameters, i.e. 700ft for the CA to go off, with the PCA set for 60 seconds prior to that. By our calculations that should mean the PCA goes off at 1 minute 42 seconds prior to ...
for an a/c descending at 1,000ft per minute.

Should we only be issuing azimuth instructions in CA conditions? Something I think will be the subject of debate over the coming weeks.

Would also appreciate any feedback from those who have been through all this before.

:cool: On the beach :cool:

P.S. config.sys I was in Dubai a few weeks back, on the Jumeirah Beach. Is the Creek Hash still misbehaving? Didn't get chance to run unfortunately. Probably just as well!!! :D

AREA52
11th Jul 2002, 14:37
Hello all, I believe that the STCA at Swanwick can only cope with 1000ft separation standards and can't differentiate between compliant and non-compliant. However, SMF (Separation Monitoring Function) can, funny that:(

As I mentioned elsewhere, beware the 270 requesting 290! or above.:eek:

Minesapint
11th Jul 2002, 14:50
The FAA did an excellent study/paper some years ago concerning the setting up of STCA. It centered around the time it took for -

1. The controller to see the alert.
2. Controller thinking/planning time.
3. Tell the driver.
4. Driver thinking/reaction time.
5. Time to adequate separation to be achieved.

I was involved in some of the NATS/NAS stuff years ago but I cant remember the figures. I think that the minimum conflict period - that is the minimum time before a loss of separation that a conflict should be triggered - outside TMA's was 84 seconds.

Try to get a hold of the STCA paper. It could even be available on their web site.

Altitude parameters need an adequate buffer to ensure that STCA goes off early enough without providing too many alerts. You could try NATS RDP at Kemble st. They may be able to help too.
:)

config.sys
11th Jul 2002, 15:19
Just to clarify,

This will be STCA intended for an Approach (Terminal) environment, and there will bo no RVSM requirement, the Vertical limits are FL190. The Radar Separation standard is 3nm inside 25nm and 5nm outside that (with specific pre-conditions for each).

config.sys

BDiONU
11th Jul 2002, 16:18
I would like to point out that the non-RVSM attention getter rules at LACC are just the same as those that were envisaged for LATCC.
The 'stumbling block' at LACC is the current inability to be able to input a different Requested Flight Level (RFL) to the one which was originally filed.
However, that changes in November (assuming that we are able to meet that deadline) with the N07 software drop. It contains new functionality to enable the control staff to input a pilot's RFL. This is also linked to an automatic change to the filed flight level. So when control staff input an RFL it will automatically do a field 8 amendment straight to NAS.
Having tested it, it works perfectly and should remove all the 'problems' associated with non-RVSM compliant aircraft which have filed for non-RVSM levels that, suddenly en-route, discover that they actually want to climb up to RVSM levels.

config.sys
11th Jul 2002, 16:43
Take 3,

I am sorry, but it seems your response is mis-placed or I am loosing my marbles.

Sure you wanted this posted here ?

config.sys

BDiONU
11th Jul 2002, 19:25
Config.sys:

DOH!!!! You're right, this wasn't meant for this thread but the RVSM one! Its me who is loosing my marbles! Wibble!

NERC Dweller
12th Jul 2002, 18:06
A lot of the STCA algorithms/set-up work for LACC was done by Qinetiq (Formerly Defence Evaluation and Research Agency)