PDA

View Full Version : New rules regarding FAA licence

nigelh
25th Apr 2017, 14:46
Just got back from flying in Africa to be told i need to write to the CAA to get dispensation to fly a G reg on my FAA license for the next 12 months . Has anyone else done this and where do you send this request to ? I am presuming its still fine if you are planning to fly under 28 days or so .....
Having dumped my CAA license about 5 years ago the thought of going back to type ratings for every different machine is not great !!

hueyracer
25th Apr 2017, 15:25
Are you talking about private or commercial flying?

SASless
25th Apr 2017, 15:26
Ah....but think how much safer you are by having all those type ratings!:rolleyes:

Granted you may need to buy a Pillow so you can sit high enough to see over the glare shield as your Wallet will be so thin due to there being no money in it!

nigelh
25th Apr 2017, 17:18
Well thanks for that SAS , knew i could rely on you for a useful comment !!
Sadly you are quite correct . Will i be safer having a type rating ??? I have flown so many types over the years and never really felt the need for a "Rating ". God knows what they will make me do for the 109 ....i will probably have to go back to school for a week and then fly around in circles for 10 hrs to prove i can fly it ( the fact that i have flown 3-400 hrs without any mishap and appear to have a reasonable grasp of what im doing ...seems irrelevant )

Anyway i am talking just PPL ( i am currently using my CPL to get SA CAA CPL ) but this country is far too bureaucratic so happy to stick to "Private "...
I spoke to the CAA and they said i can write to them asking for 12 months with the intention of only flying 28 days or less ( who on earth monitors that ) and i have to prove i have a rating for the aircraft i want to fly .....so how do i do that ??!! I dont think it has been thought through and everyone will still be flying as usual on their FAA license for years .........

hueyracer
25th Apr 2017, 17:24
Do you realize there are several ratings required to fly a 109?

Each variant will be a different rating, and they differ between Agusta 109 and Agusta Westland....

You will also need a rating for each type for:
-Single Pilot operations
-Multi Pilot operations
-Single Pilot Instruments
-Multi Pilot Instruments.

You can do a simple checkride if you have more than 300 hours on type, and have the rating valid on your foreign license...this can be done through an ATO.

n5296s
25th Apr 2017, 17:26
How on earth does this work if you have an FAA license? No type rating for anything under 12500 lbs. So I could have 10,000 hours in say a 206 but would still have to do a checkride and goodness knows what else?

hueyracer
25th Apr 2017, 17:47
You really should look into the regulations...

For type ratings on single engines, you need (if i remember correctly) 100 hours, for multi engines 350 hours (or was it 150 and 300?).

Regs state you need to have a valid rating-as ut refers to ICAO licenses, which the FAA is clearly not...

For each "conversion" a letter has to be sent to the CAA by an ATO, requesting permission....

So in your case:
If you have the minimum hours required, an ATO can issue a letter for the CAA saying "no further training required"-and the CAA can then approve a checkride, as they know that there are no ratings under 12500 lbs for FAA certificate holders.

Its complete bollocks, i know...flying helicopters in EASA is not fun any more....

nigelh
25th Apr 2017, 18:01
Thanks Huey ....i think my problem may be that i havent done the "initial " first twin rating that is need in EASA . That may not be the case but i will check . At the moment i am looking at how to continue flying on my FAA license for the time being and getting my EASA license over the next month or two . ( my UK PPL has not been valid now for about 5 years ).
I will contact a school and get them to speak to the CAA and see what they want and hopefully my hours will mean no further training and just a check ride !
If nobody , incl the CAA , can tell me definitely what to do i will carry on flying with my FAA ticket ....

SASless
25th Apr 2017, 19:59
You are certainly upbeat and optimistic.....and I pray you are not done in by officialdom!

If you wind up taking the last resort route you mention....establishing a professional relationship with someone like Flying Lawyer might prove both necessary and beneficial!

handysnaks
25th Apr 2017, 21:00
listen to Sas, I seem to remember a phrase from my previous life that stated 'ignorance is no excuse for non-compliance'😊👍

nigelh
25th Apr 2017, 22:54
A point in time may come when a lot of pilots may just say " F**K THEM !"
Personally I will always do my best to stay on the right side of the rules if possible....at least my job does not depend on it !!

Ps . Just had a call from someone who knows a way around this .........

SASless
25th Apr 2017, 23:07
Immigration to the Free World?:E

nigelh
26th Apr 2017, 23:13
Just in case anyone is interested you can now write to CAA and carry on flying with your FAA ticket . IN-2017/016 came out yesterday explaining .
Looks like I may be legal after all !!

Mustapha Cuppa
29th Apr 2017, 16:48
Each variant will be a different rating, No it won't

hueyracer
29th Apr 2017, 17:04
There are 8 variants of the 109, requiring 2 different type ratings (A109 and AW109), plus a differences check for each variant (Thats one type rating for A109 plus 2 differences trainings, and the same for an AW109).

EASA Type Rating & License Endorsement List – Helicopters

Mustapha Cuppa
29th Apr 2017, 20:04
So you agree with me that each variant will not be a different type rating?

helimutt
30th Apr 2017, 08:57
I believe huey racer is correct. Different types i.e. A109 and AW109 are different ratings, a bit like the S76 and SK76 different types you now need on an EASA licence. (yes different type ratings) Not all the same anymore.
I stand to be corrected on the 109 thing as I don't fly them.

Mustapha Cuppa
30th Apr 2017, 11:07
I accept that we now have the A109 and AW109 type ratings, the former covering the A, AII, C, K2 and LUH variants, the latter covering the E, S and SP variants. I have never suggested otherwise

I do not accept that "each variant will be a separate type rating" as hueyracer would have us believe, as that would suggest that to go from, say, the C to a K2, or an E to a S would require a type rating course to be conducted under the auspices of an ATO followed by a skill test. On the other hand, to go from a C to an E would clearly require such training and testing.

And there is no such thing as a differences check. Where applicable, differences training will be carried out but this does not amount to a check.

hueyracer
30th Apr 2017, 11:38
Differences training-although called "training"-is a formal flight that is conducted as a single training flight by an authorized personnel, and must be documented....you may not call it a check-but thats basically what it is...you can call it training as well, does not matter..its a flight that has to be done before you can fly the differnet variant...

Like is said above-not sure why you are trying to make a fuzz about it-i clearly stated that one needs two type ratings (bascially four-as each type rating can be single pilot and multi pilot, and dont forget the IR which is a different rating as well)...

Mustapha Cuppa
30th Apr 2017, 11:57
You clearly stated that each variant will be a separate type rating.

I call it differences training because that is what EASA and the CAA call it.

Matvey
30th Apr 2017, 22:02
How on earth does this work if you have an FAA license? No type rating for anything under 12500 lbs. So I could have 10,000 hours in say a 206 but would still have to do a checkride and goodness knows what else?
Not relevant to helicopters, but the FAA have a type rating for anything turbojet powered, regardless of weight. Helicopters are still typed only above 12.5.

havick
30th Apr 2017, 22:09
Not relevant to helicopters, but the FAA have a type rating for anything turbojet powered, regardless of weight. Helicopters are still typed only above 12.5.

Not to mention my company line check in the Embraer 145 I fly for Envoy (American Airlines little regional brother) keeps my helicopter ATP current as the fixed wing and helicopter atp is considered the same certificate number.

There are some helicopter specific recencies for flying IFR etc but the overarching certificate can be kept alive by my airline job in FAA land.

I came to the US from Australia (Australia being similar to the U.K. With regard to helicopter types and renewals etc). There was theoretically nothing stopping me jumping in a 109 (private ops or part 61 not part 135) having never flown one before With most of my helicopter time being b412 (also doesn't require a type rating in the US being under 12,500 lbs).

nigelh
1st May 2017, 21:20
Mustapha .... You sound proper Jobsworth !!!! As Huey says , you can call it what you like but it is just another cost , another day wasted and yet another tick in the log book . FAA is so so much better and cheaper for any pilot to fly privately that is why I binned my CAA licence about 6 years ago and saved a fortune and a load of time !!!!

Mustapha Cuppa
2nd May 2017, 07:49
but it is just another cost , another day wasted and yet another tick in the log book
I haven't suggested otherwise.

I'm not sure why explaining the relevant requirements is construed as my being happy with situation.

nigelh
2nd May 2017, 09:20
Fair point !!

Hedski
3rd May 2017, 05:20
So what is the end result Nigelh? What needs to be done to allow flying privately on FAA ticket and what cost as I couldn't find it in fees schedule. Also does all this include flying N reg aircraft in UK on FAA also?

nigelh
3rd May 2017, 11:19
I am told that if you have a stand alone FAA licence you can get a school to write to CAA with all your info ( need min of class 2 medical) and you should get dispensation for two years to carry on flying G reg in UK . Naturally you can continue flying N reg as usual . This will save me a load of money and a load of time as I have no type certificates and fly at least 6 different types SE and ME !!