PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever rented in Colorado Springs?

dublinpilot
11th Jul 2002, 12:30
Just wondering if anyone has ever rented a plane in Colorado Springs. I'm planning on going there in Sept, and would like to rent something small.

I have some details of clubs/schools there from the internet, but was wondering if anyone has any experience of these clubs, and what they are really like? I plan on renting something small, for VFR flight.

Thanks

Avoiding Action
11th Jul 2002, 18:19
Don't know about Colorado Springs, but spent an enjoyable week flying out of "Dakota Ridge Aviation" at Boulder just NW of Denver. If I remember correctly, it's about 2 hrs away by car. Reasonably small municipal airport. Clean, servicable aircraft, friendly and professional instructors and staff. They'll do you flights to Leadville (highest in CONUS ~9800' - great fun!) and set me up with a short course in mountain flying.

http://www.boulderweb.com/co/dra/

I suppose the only other option is the USAF Academy, but I wouldn't give much for your chances...:D

AA.

dublinpilot
13th Jul 2002, 11:45
Thanks AA. Chance to fly an SR20 is really appealing!!

maggioneato
13th Jul 2002, 14:25
Visited Colorado 2000, Everywhere I tried to get a check ride, there were no instructors, lots of private aircraft. Eventually got a flight out of Montrose over the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, lovely scenery, only got that as the nice man gave up his lunch hour.Visited the flight academy at Colorado Springs, not much doing there either as all the Slingsbys had all been grounded.

dublinpilot
15th Jul 2002, 11:29
Thanks Wendy.

Where is Montrose? Can't find it on the map!!

maggioneato
15th Jul 2002, 16:11
Can't remember without the map.Will look for it tonight and get back to you. Did two trips to colorado. Their summer is so short, that was the reason we where given for the lack of FBOs.We got a mixed bag of weather from snow, to great big hailstones,to 100 degree plus temperatures.The flight from Montrose started from 6500ft ,and was in the high nineties. The poor old 172 staggered off the ground.I seem to remember we where on our way to Grand Junction on our way back to Denver. Will confirm that when I find the map.