PDA

View Full Version : A330 RR Trent Thrust Reverser

Romasik
24th Apr 2017, 15:28
FCOM A330 (RR Trent) doesn't mention any thrust reverser position except IDLE or MAX. (Well, at least I haven't seen). IDLE sometimes is not enough, MAX is too noisy. Is anybody aware about any harm to the engine if we regularly use intermediate reverser positions?
And another related issue. Moneywise, on the same aircraft what is preferable - brakes or reverser? Still not clear.
Thanks!

Sidestick_n_Rudder
24th Apr 2017, 22:57
Hi! I don't think there's anything preventing using intermediate reverse position and can't see any harm to be done to the engines...

As for brakes vs reverser operation - brakes are cheaper until the brake temps reach 500 deg, or above. Then oxidation kicks in resulting in quick degradation of the brakes.

I remember seeing some Airbus paper on this, but can't find it at the moment. They recommend idle rev if you are CONF FULL+LO BRK (with all the caveats about ensuring safe stop). If you are CONF3/heavy/with tailwind/MED BRK - full reverse is recommended so as to keep the brakes below 500deg and reduce risk of thermal oxidation.

Then there are turnaround time considerations, brake fan or not, etc. I must say that in day-to-day ops, on long runways I hardly ever use max rev.

Romasik
25th Apr 2017, 14:25
Thanks! .