PDA

View Full Version : What is cockpit crew's responsibility in pax-crew dust-up while gated?

b1lanc
22nd Apr 2017, 15:22
I believe this is pertinent to this forum but if you want to move or delete feel free.

Given now two incidents with minimal front-office action, what exactly are the rules (are there any rules - airline or otherwise) governing cockpit crew responsibilities at the gate? I get it in the air - we've seen a Delta flight divert and offload the FAs as unfit to continue. Surely this uncertainty while tethered to the jetway can't continue? Does it not have the potential to ruin careers and make a great deal of profit for the legal profession?

I don't see these incidents declining but increasing because both airline employees and pax now have a chip on their shoulders. Are we reduced to roll cameras every boarding/deplaning process?

JW411
22nd Apr 2017, 15:46
I've just watched a video of a passenger having a go at an AA deadheading pilot inside the terminal after disembarkation. Passenger reckoned that said AA pilot was blocking the aisle and being generally abusive.

I'm glad I have retired for things seem to be getting out of hand nowadays.

Airbubba
22nd Apr 2017, 16:09
Yep, the pax are fighting back and AA's new ad campaign will feature music by Carl Douglas.

Video of the KMCI incident in this article:

Passenger confronts off-duty pilot in airport terminal | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4428864/Passenger-confronts-duty-pilot-airport-terminal.html)

wiggy
22nd Apr 2017, 16:53
things seem to be getting out of hand nowadays.

Modern world...camera phones, eye on compensation, etc etc.

Whilst the UA incident was unforgivable (IMHO) it has perhaps encouraged one or two idiots to have a go....with ID/name badge and uniform crew are perhaps seen as an easy target, it looks like the AA pilot at KCMI handled things very well, but I wonder if the "civvie" was hoping for him to take a swing?

Piltdown Man
23rd Apr 2017, 15:09
Conflict in the on the ground before flight should mean the flight will not take place unless those causing the the conflict have been removed beforehand. In the air, it is up to the crew to make sensible decisions. The responsibility of ensuring good order and conduct etc. rests with the Captain. After the flight the local national laws, both civil and criminal, apply and the flight crew simply become citizens.

The pilot in that clip did well not to react. I don't know whether or I could do what he did. Unfortunately, whenever you have your uniform on you become a target for a considerable number of idiots, like the one in this clip. I do hope he pays the price first for assaulting another person.

B2N2
23rd Apr 2017, 16:05
You're still the captain of the ship.
Claiming that only applies in the air is in my mind a cop out.

In the United case: belligerent pax who doesn't want to get off, have him removed.

In the AA case: have both the FA and the male pax removed.

Piltdown Man
23rd Apr 2017, 21:59
No cop out, just aware there is a good deal of grey on the ground with the doors open. But also fully aware that I'm responsible for passengers and crew from when they board until they get off.