PDA

View Full Version : Is the USA airport immigration process now the slowest in the world for Foreign Crew?

suninmyeyes
15th Apr 2017, 11:48
United States Federal Regulations imposed strict guidelines a while ago on delays on the tarmac and how airlines have to conduct themselves. In 2016 American Airlines was fined 1.6 $ million for violating the tarmac delay rule. This is all well and good and passengers should be treated with consideration and respect.

So from a country that imposes these rules on pilots like myself and fines airlines I find it incredible that there are no rules concerning how long US immigration can keep airline crews waiting at immigration. In recent years the delays and treatment have become worse and we are frequently not cleared until well after our passengers, and sometimes after passengers that have arrived on subsequent aircraft, have gone through. I think an hour and a half a few months ago at LAX was one of the worst I have had recently.

As a crew member going through immigration what matters most is:

a) The length of the queue
b) The length of time it takes to process each crew member.

For the two items above the USA is probably the worst crew experience in the world. the majority of immigration officers are polite, especially the older ones but a few appear quite hostile, abrupt or totally fed up with their job.

Some of the issues I have with USA immigration are:

Only one immigration officer on duty when there are two or three crews waiting. With A380s this can be 40 people or so.

1) They insist on checking the finger prints of both left and right hand. I can understand one or the other but why both? Those pilots who use Global entry only have to present one hand. Why does it take longer to process a crew member with a visa than it takes to process a passenger travelling under the visa waiver program or ESTA?

2) Any passenger who has to be expedited is often ushered to the front of the immigration queue. Now I appreciate and agree that wheelchair passengers should be given priority (although some passengers into the USA unnecessarily ask for a wheelchair in the correct belief they will get through immigration more quickly) but sometimes there are 8 immigration queues yet the wheelchair passengers are only ushered into the crew queue.

I cannot comment on arriving in the USA as a passenger but I can say that arriving as a foreign pilot the experience leaves a lot to be desired and has got worse in recent years. A few years ago departing the USA the TSA were unnecessarily rude and unpleasant but recently there has been a big change and the TSA have been noticeably more polite. Crews now get through security more quickly. It would be nice if immigration could also be targeted and improved.

One of my colleagues did (unwisely) complain a while ago at the aggressive way members of his crew were being treated at immigration. The supervisor listened and then led him away for secondary screening. The others had to wait a while in the bus for him to appear. This was clearly bullying and intimidation of someone who had dared to complain about crew treatment.

Crews arriving at US immigration have often been on duty for 8-12 hours and the experience is getting noticeably worse. Even in places like Iran where I might expect hostility I have been treated with great respect and the processing of the crew has been swift and pleasant. Surely the US could do so much better?

wiggy
15th Apr 2017, 11:58
Never had a major problem with "attitude" at Border but they certainly seems to have got slower over recent years.

I've sometimes had the impression there's a bit of a "work to rule"/"work to contract" mentality - maybe they are under resourced and crew lanes are an easy target - I know the locals aren't usually caught up in this but can any of our American friends shed any light on this?

anson harris
15th Apr 2017, 12:46
It's particularly galling when you see crews from US carriers getting off their aircraft at LHR, straight onto a bus and are then driven out of a side gate, showing their IDs on the way out. Exactly as it should be but I wonder why this can't be done in the US?

fab777
15th Apr 2017, 14:06
"We are the face of our nation"...

casablanca
15th Apr 2017, 17:48
I have been through immigration many times as a US citizen working for a US carrier... it was still one of the worse in the world.
And now working for a foreign carrier it is almost always an hour.
And it may only be a small percentage but there are many agents with a chip on their shoulder.... it's embarrassing that this is the welcome so many tourists get.

Globally Challenged
15th Apr 2017, 18:20
From the BizJet side of the fence, the US CBP are relatively swift. I think the worst we had was sitting with the aircraft door closed for about 10 minutes in Teteboro while waiting for the all clear to disembark passengers (and their dog who was desperate for a pee!)

It is the Russians that seem to feel the need to go through your passport 2 or 3 times checking each page of your passport under the UV light.

Typically it takes a crew of 3 between 30 & 45 minutes to enter the country.

Mr Angry from Purley
15th Apr 2017, 18:40
Crews arriving at US immigration have often been on duty for 8-12 hours

Double that if they are arriving from the Middle East and then on "min rest"