PDA

View Full Version : Corrections needed for Min FL on STAR?

Ba521
11th Apr 2017, 17:14
Hello aviation buffs,

I do apologize in advance if this is the wrong section to ask. I was doing some research about altimetry and could not work this one out and it annoys me massively.

Here goes:

On certain STARs you might find Min FL. These have to be adhered to obviously. However I was wondering about the need to correct these for non standard condition i.e. MSL pressure < 1013 and temp < ISA.

I would say they need to be corrected (especially the ones involving high terrain) but couldn't figure out the reasoning.

Many thanks in advance and please bear with me.

Amadis of Gaul
13th Apr 2017, 21:30
Do you mean min altitudes at certain fixes or MEA or what?

Ba521
14th Apr 2017, 07:26
Hello Amadis,

I was looking at a STAR for Milano Malpensa, and at certain fixes along the STAR it shows minimum alt on a section expressed as Flight Levels for example FL130.

FL130 is only FL130 on a standard day, so that is why I thought that these minimum flight levels need to be corrected. It would be very nice to maintain terrain clearance from the Alps.

In response to your reply, I am familiar with corrections to assess the minimum allowable flight level on a route (corrections for temp, wind and pressure). I just have some issues figuring out if min flght levels on a STAR need to be corrected.

Hopefully my initial post makes more sense to you now

Ba521
19th Apr 2017, 07:43
So nobody can help me out with this one?

I would really appreciate it if somebody could! I want to get my head around this.

Cheers.

good egg
19th Apr 2017, 17:28
I'd be surprised if MIN FL didn't take into account the worst reasonably likely conditions.
I'm guessing the change from MIN Alt to MIN FL is due to the surrounding airspace transition altitude/flight level, and, if necessary, an additional flight level will have been added to the MIN FL to account for any reasonably expected variations in conditions.
Just a guess. I don't sit at the pointy end, nor do I operate in the Alps. I prefer much closer to sea level!

wiggy
19th Apr 2017, 19:14
You might see notes appended to some procedures changing minimum arrival or holding Flight Levels dependant on met conditions ( e.g. QNH) but AFAIK you can't just add your own corrections to an FL, if there's a FL requirement you need to stick to it, otherwise you are at risk of reduced separation with e.g. higher crossing traffic if you start adding your own corrections. If in your judgement you are really concerned about conditions you need to tell ATC you require a higher FL.

Looking at the Milan STARS (from the north) it looks like FL 130 or above will give you an adequate of buffer from high ground, even on a bad day, as long as you stay on the STAR.

+TSRA
20th Apr 2017, 16:20
Altitudes do not need to be corrected until 0 degrees C. Above that any difference from standard is negligible (at Sea Level). Indeed, down to about -5*C the difference is not that much. For higher altitudes, the difference can become quite drastic.

Here in Canada with a similar SID or STAR that you've show (say, the ones coming into Calgary from the West), ATC will simply amend the altitude on the day. They'll give you a higher clearance limit, normally with the phrase "altitude restrictions cancelled, climb/descend FLxxx/xx,xxx."

So in Milan on a very cold day, ATC may amend the clearance to FL150 if they think temperature will be an issue...but then, how many days a year does Milan get below 0*C to the point where ATC would have to think about higher altitude corrections?