PDA

View Full Version : UK CAA exemption for FAA certificate holders

CloudHound
7th Apr 2017, 11:58
A fast moving situation which will hopefully be resolved. However, if you haven't picked up on the wires what's occurring today take a look at the Flyer Magazine news page.

Sam Rutherford
7th Apr 2017, 13:20
Apparently whereas before this was automatic - now there are forms etc. to be completed, and this by the 8th April (tomorrow!).

Anyone have more information on this?

Cheers, Sam.

Prop swinger
7th Apr 2017, 13:43
ORS4 1220 (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=7828&filter=2)

AFAIK any ICAO licence is still good for LAPL privileges without CAA validation, at least until 8th April 2018.

Sam Rutherford
8th Apr 2017, 03:56
My reading of this document is that one must now apply individually for the exemption to be used, whereas in the past it was a blanket solution...

Bob Upanddown
10th Apr 2017, 09:53
So what happens when the leave the EU?? At that point any EU/USA BASA will not affect the UK because we won't be in the EU. At the point we leave the EU, UK pilots flying on an FAA licence will not need to have an identical EASA licence to fly in Europe as we will be outside the EU.

So, when we negotiate a UK/USA BASA, maybe we can go down the route of mutual licence recognition and do away with the need to obtain a 61.75.

bookworm
10th Apr 2017, 16:18
At the point we leave the EU, UK pilots flying on an FAA licence will not need to have an identical EASA licence to fly in Europe as we will be outside the EU.

I'm guessing you haven't talked to the DfT about that. The UK is one of the strongest proponents of the requirement for local (whether EU or UK) licences for aircraft based here.

Ebbie 2003
10th Apr 2017, 18:52
I thought there was no question that EASA will survive the Brexit thing.

Even after the exit no changes.

UK is looking for a Switzerland option, non-EU but with special privileges

For those like me with nothing better to do and therefore who keep up with these things Switzerland is in EASA and has been for the past ten years (plus also Norway and Liechtenstein).

Sam Rutherford
11th Apr 2017, 05:39
Whilst the whole Brexit thing is worthy of discussion, it will not be implemented before March 2019 at earliest - so until then, do we need to individually request exemption from the CAA? There appears to be confusion!

Cheers, Sam.

BillieBob
11th Apr 2017, 09:42
Sam - See if this makes it any clearer:

In order to exercise the privileges of a third country (i.e. non-EU) licence in an EASA aeroplane in the UK, all pilots must now either make a declaration or apply for validation of the licence. There is, however, no indication that this applies to the operation of Annex II aircraft which, presumably, are still covered by ANO Article 150.

A declaration may be made if the licence is issued by the FAA (Form SRG2140) or if the privileges of a non-FAA licence are to be exercised for no more than 28 days per calendar year (Form SRG2141). In this case, nothing is issued by the CAA and a copy of the declaration provides the only evidence of validity. Copies must be held by the pilot and the training organisation that conducts the required 'acclimatisation' flight.

The holder of a third country licence issued by an authority other than the FAA who wishes to exercise the privileges of that licence for more than 28 days per calendar year must apply for validation (Form SRG2139). Validation is limited to 1 year but may be extended by the competent authority if the pilot can show that (s)he is undergoing training for the issue of an EASA licence. The period of the extension is up to the competent authority but will be sufficient to "....cover the period of time necessary for the licence to be issued in accordance with Part-FCL."

There is no fee for a declaration but validation costs £216.

See IN-2017/013 (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2017013.pdf) and ORS4 No.1220 (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=7828)

cessnapete
11th Apr 2017, 16:06
I'm still confused!
I hold an FAA CPL/IR MEP SEP, valid Medical and BFR. I also hold an EASA PPL MEP SEP, Valid medical and valid Certs of Revalidation.
To fly my N reg aircraft in UK, do I still have to fill in the relevant form and have an EASA Examiner check my FAA licences?
I live in UK.

BillieBob
12th Apr 2017, 09:42
If you intend to exercise the privileges of your FAA licence in the UK you will have to make a declaration or apply for validation. However, assuming that it was issued by the UK, you can exercise the privileges of your EASA PPL on your N-reg aircraft in the UK under §61.3 without any further paperwork.