PDA

View Full Version : Logbook Question

BlackadderIA
31st Mar 2017, 17:16
I'm an EASA PPL(A) holder but thanks to some work shenanigans I recently spent several hours acting as a student pilot in the sim for someone's FI training.

It was a fully accredited full-motion sim (you can get your type rating in just the sim) and had a CAA Instructor 'in the box' running things.

Obviously, smashing out simulated circuits in an airliner is a tad outside the privileges of my SEP rating but I was wondering if I could log any of the time, maybe as P u/t? I'm all for free hours, even if they where a little irrelevant compared to my usual PA28 pottering.

I'm guessing it's not possible but the rules aren't that clear. Thoughts?

Gertrude the Wombat
31st Mar 2017, 21:31
You can write whatever you like in your log book. Whether you can count the hours towards any particular something depends on the regulations for that something.

9 lives
31st Mar 2017, 22:52
As TangoAlphad, I will record interesting aircraft I have "flown", beyond my privileges, with zero time entered in my log. I'll note the time as a remark. Do not attempt to take credit for "flying" time which is not legitimately creditable based upon your privileges. It looks really embarrassing when an official notices, and then either goes through your log line by line (the regulator), or simply hands it back to you, and you don't get the job. Your honour is worth more than imagined piloting time.

noflynomore
1st Apr 2017, 10:03
Why not write it in the back of your logbook as Sim Time like everyone else does?
I wouldn't put it in the main body of the logbook unless you want to look like a Walt who doesn't know the correct way to fill in a logbook!
Sim time isn't counted or added up or ever quoted or reported even by Professional pilots, there's just a record kept. The hours aren't used for anything.

S-Works
1st Apr 2017, 14:05
Sticking it in your logbook makes you look a bit of a twonk in my opinion. Whats up with your memory?

9 lives
1st Apr 2017, 15:32
Sticking it in your logbook makes you look a bit of a twonk in my opinion

Blackadder, don't show your logbook to Bose.

When I had about 200 hours, I had the use (after midnight) of a DC-8-63 full motion simulator when I worked for the airline. I read the flight manual, and taught myself to fly it. 50 some hours of IFR flying in it, every landing successful (I did not know how to "fix" an off runway landing, so better no to make one).

All that time is in my logbook, with zeros, and the "time" flown in the comments column. No one has ever had a problem with that, it represents my flying experience, I'm just not claiming any credit for it. I'm sure that if I ever begin to get old, I'll look back at those entries with fond recollection - when my memory is not so effective.

It's your logbook, enter what you want. But, only take credit where you are legitimately entitled to.

BlackadderIA
1st Apr 2017, 21:04
Thanks everyone,
sim time looks like the place for it then or maybe just logged as normal with the hours not counted. Hadn't even noticed my trusty pooleys logbook had a sim section until you guys mentioned it! Shame though as would have been a great hours-building scam to get work to cough for 16+ hours a year.

I'm sure it's only 'walt-like' if you pay for it (or possibly build it in your garage?).