PDA

View Full Version : VLJ cost sharing

Mister Geezer
29th Mar 2017, 15:19
I have a question concerning cost sharing on a proposed G registered very light jet, (VLJ) which would be owned by a company for corporate use with a CPL holder being employed to fly it only for private purposes.

With the pilot obviously being excluded, would it be permissible for costs of the flight to be shared equally among the passengers carried, who would be business acquaintances and if so, can someone point me to a reference document?

The only guidance I can find can be found using the link below and only seems to cater for when the pilot holds a private licence.

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Aircraft-ownership-and-maintenance/Guidance-on-cost-sharing-and-introductory-flights/

Many thanks..

3wheels
29th Mar 2017, 23:42
Your link seems clear enough to me!
It does say it is allowed in "an aeroplane or helicopter that falls below the EASA definition of complex aircraft, which most GA type aeroplanes up to 5700kgs do"
Does you VLJ fall into that category?

bookworm
30th Mar 2017, 08:04
With the pilot obviously being excluded, would it be permissible for costs of the flight to be shared equally among the passengers carried, who would be business acquaintances and if so, can someone point me to a reference document?

No.

Air Ops regulation Art 6(4a).
By way of derogation from Article 5(1) and (6), the following operations with other-than complex motor-powered aeroplanes and heli*copters, balloons and sailplanes may be conducted in accordance with [Part-NCO]:
(a) cost-shared flights by private individuals, on the condition that the direct cost is shared by all the occupants of the aircraft, pilot included and the number of persons sharing the direct costs is limited to six;

A VLJ is a complex motor-powered aeroplane.

BillieBob
30th Mar 2017, 15:14
Any aeroplane equipped with one or more turbojet engines or more than one turboprop engine is defined by EASA as complex, irrespective of weight

Ebbie 2003
30th Mar 2017, 19:17
Maybe I am missing the point - so let me rephrase the question.

Group of people own the VLJ, they have a commercial pilot who flies it - can they cost share?

Maybe I have not understood the question.

I do not see why not - this is not a case of PPL's flying - so what's the problem?

bookworm
31st Mar 2017, 07:28
The Air Ops regulation says:
(1) ‘commercial air transport (CAT) operation’ means an aircraft operation to transport passengers, cargo or mail for remuneration or other valuable consideration;

If passengers are paying the operator (even if it's only a share of the operating cost) to be carried on the VLJ, then that is Commercial Air Transport, and the operation needs an Air Operator's Certificate.

Mister Geezer
31st Mar 2017, 12:56
Many thanks to everyone for your input. Even though it would be a private aircraft, it seems that allowing passengers to contribute to the cost is not allowed and on reflection it does bear too close a resemblance to a CAT operation.

Ebbie 2003
1st Apr 2017, 18:51
Geezer - still not sure you have set this out clearly.

As I understand it a group can collectively rent an airplane (and share the cost) - the only stipulation is that it has to be public register and flow yy a commercial pilot.

Sounds to me as if that is what you are proposing.

The fact that the group - all of them or some of them may own shares in the airplane is irrelevant.

Best way to get a definitive answer it to have a properly worded question put to the aviation authorities - CLARITY and PRECISION in what you are asking will give you a definitive answer.:ok:

Bookworm - cannot be 100% on UK operations but in the US and here in the Caribbean it is very clear.

Commercial reg - so 50 and 100 hr checks in addition to the annual.

No "holding out" that is what makes it a commercial operation; in this case one is not advertising or holding out a service to the general public.

But if a group of friends want to operate a shared airplane no problems - just you must have a commercial pilot or a private pilot must pay his full share of the costs.

I still think this question is not framed correctly.