PDA

View Full Version : Blackbushe Microlight Ban?

chevvron
29th Mar 2017, 10:56
Report on another forum that Blackbushe (under new ownership) have 'banned' microlights as the CAA claim they don't 'mix' with VLJs.
I am aware the busy and popular microlight school (Clearprop) has closed its Blackbushe operation(no doubt leaving a lot of very disappointed students) as it has been bought by new owners but I can't see why Blackbushe should ban all microlights.

Ebbie 2003
29th Mar 2017, 13:40
We have a microlight here in Barbados - it mixes quite well with all of the VLJ right up to 747's, even if the Virgin pilots voice seems to go up a couple of octaves when informed "be aware we have a microlight operating in the area of the airport".

Sounds like someone at Blackbushe just doesn't like them:=

hoodie
29th Mar 2017, 14:22
Is there any confirmation of this, or is it just scuttlebutt?

There's nothing in the EGLK AIP entry or NOTAMs, and the other forum (assuming FF) only presents it as "based on a comment from Facebook".

chevvron
29th Mar 2017, 14:39
Exactly, it's only a 'report' ie a rumour, my purpose on here being to ask if anyone knew if it was 'fact' after all this is a 'rumour' network.

chevvron
29th Mar 2017, 14:42
We have a microlight here in Barbados - it mixes quite well with all of the VLJ right up to 747's, even if the Virgin pilots voice seems to go up a couple of octaves when informed "be aware we have a microlight operating in the area of the airport".

Sounds like someone at Blackbushe just doesn't like them:=
I spent a week in Barbados once and noted that most aircraft seem to do an ILS, although when we arrived, it being Christmas Day, the captain of our BWIA A340 did a visual approach from the northernmost point of the island, all the way down the west coast at about 2,000ft keeping the left wing down all the way so we could get a good view!
What class of airspace is it around the airport?

hoodie
29th Mar 2017, 15:36
Sorry. Your post read as though you were saying it was a fact and asking why it had been done, rather than asking if a rumour was true.

TheOddOne
29th Mar 2017, 21:34
Perhaps the Phenom accident is preying on their minds...

TOO

surely not
29th Mar 2017, 21:51
Perhaps if the Phenom accident is the issue, they should only accept microlights as they haven't had an accident at Blackbushe!

If it is true it is a stupid decision as modern 3 axis microlights have a performance better than Cessna 150's, and the Rotax engines are a lot quieter than the old fashioned engines in Cessna 150/152/172 and PA28. Maybe they like upsetting the neighbours?

Wycombe
30th Mar 2017, 16:56
There was a C42 operating from the field this afternoon, but FR24 indicates it left and may not have come back.

(just reporting what I have observed)

Capt Kremmen
30th Mar 2017, 16:57
Why don't you ring or e-mail Blackbushe and ask them ?

chevvron
30th Mar 2017, 16:59
Why don't you ring or e-mail Blackbushe and ask them ?

Tried that; all I got was 'Clearprop has been sold and the aircraft are no longer based here'.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Mar 2017, 17:06
It can't be due to traffic!

Capt Kremmen
30th Mar 2017, 17:11
I've had an impression for many years that Blackbushe was pricing itself out of GA business.

Zsilotski
30th Mar 2017, 21:33
I believe one of the Blackbushe based flying schools - Airfirst (?) - took on operation of Clearprop's microlights. Might be worth giving them a call.

GoingAroundAgain
31st Mar 2017, 17:21
A little short sighted these days considering how convenient they are for places like Popham and Wycombe where there are flocks of modern 3-axis microlights keeping the airfields busy.

Ebbie 2003
1st Apr 2017, 19:06
Cheveron - that is the standard approach due to prevailing wind direction - also the route and the altitude at which I like to do my anticlockwise flights around the island.

The airspace here is D - but here while we have VFR everyone was controlled, think of it as being like flight following and in C or B airspace.

All the large airplanes will likely be using the ILS (it only operates on eastbound approaches) as do those of use who want the practice - my Archer II has a complete ILS including pitch, it captures the ILS signals and flies down the glideslope with scary accuracy with just tweaking of the throttle.

The ILS only captures from a narrow band from the extended approach to 09 - my Archer with the OMNI on captures it perfectly when crossing it on 180 heading. Even when flying the normal down the west coast route I would expect that the AP will be engaged.

Flying here is fun, especially circuits if flown in the mid/late afternoon on an extended left hand downwind at circuit height one gets to wave to the pilots and passengers on the airliners - most amusing.

Lhrbee
2nd Apr 2017, 09:07
I rang Blackbushe Tower for PPR on Thursday 30th April. As high crosswinds were reported I decided against a visit in a microlight - the chap on the phone replied that I'd have to visit before 1st July as microlights would no longer be able to fly to the airport from that date. He confirmed that this was the decision of the owners (Blink Aviation I believe). Hopefully I'll be able to make one last flight there before microlights are muscled out!

Downwind Lander
4th Apr 2017, 15:21
I remember Chipmunks co-exiting with Shackletons quite happily. Its about quality of air traffic control.

Where there's a will...

I would have thought there was plenty of room up by the disused runways - the north end. They could have their own airfield. Even a portion of the top taxiway that runs roughly east west. They require precious little length or room. Or else borrow a rotoverter and a mower and do something about the shrubland. It would be a shame to see the microlights driven out.

pax britanica
4th Apr 2017, 15:33
I live near Blackbushe and the place has got a lot less busy in recent years with a lot less based aircraft. I am sure the Phenom accident spooked the new owners even though the report makes clear the microlights only contribution was actually being there .

On that basis I doubt that helicopters are that compatible with biz jets either and the Bushe takes things up to a Dassault Falcon size so they are not just the Toytown Mustangs.

In spite of its seeming isolation Blackbushe does have noise issues and pretty well all movements are south of the field and have to squeeze in between the runway and the M3 (Farnborough is on the other side of the M3) , not a big area and in summer it can get surprisingly busy with circuit traffic.

Shame if the airport is just drifiting down though as its a nice place to while away a lunch hour with my sandwiches and if you keep yourself to yourself no one bothers you unlike some airfields in the locale which behave like they are Area 51. While on the subject of airfields in this part of the world I haven't seen much on PPrune about Fairoaks closing?

chevvron
4th Apr 2017, 16:11
I would have thought there was plenty of room up by the disused runways - the north end. They could have their own airfield. Even a portion of the top taxiway that runs roughly east west. They require precious little length or room. Or else borrow a rotoverter and a mower and do something about the shrubland. It would be a shame to see the microlights driven out.
Since the sale of the airfield to Blink, none of that area north of 07/25 is available for aviation use. There's just sufficient for the cleared and graded strip and obstacle free zone required for a licensed airfield.
In any case, the northern taxiway at the north end of the old airfield is so close to the built up area of Yateley and Section 106 areas that it's a non starter.

While on the subject of airfields in this part of the world I haven't seen much on PPrune about Fairoaks closing?
There is a thread if you look in this section,plus at least 2 on other forums.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Apr 2017, 17:06
<<I doubt that helicopters are that compatible with biz jets >>

If the correct procedures are formulated, any type of aircraft should be compatible with any other type - that's what ATC is for. Farnborough manages OK.

chevvron
4th Apr 2017, 17:18
<<I doubt that helicopters are that compatible with biz jets >>

If the correct procedures are formulated, any type of aircraft should be compatible with any other type - that's what ATC is for. Farnborough manages OK.

Helicopters have their own procedures at Blackbushe which keep them clear of the runway.(mostly)

Wycombe
4th Apr 2017, 21:42
Shame if the airport is just drifiting down

The new owners have plans that are the exact opposite, if their aspirations for development are permitted and come to fruition.

A few years back there was a parallel grass 500m runway (at the western end of the tarmac 07/25) which was withdrawn, I forget exactly when.

At the moment, there are probably less than a dozen jet/turboprop movements per day, so I don't really see why they couldn't co-exist, with some sensible segregation?