PDA

View Full Version : QXC: Stapleford > Norwich > Southend

G SXTY
10th Jul 2002, 09:31
I have my QXC coming up very shortly (taking full advantage of this lovely summer wx;) ) and am planning to route:

Stapleford > Brentwood > Harwich > Norwich
Norwich > Harwich > Southend
Southend > Brentwood > Stapleford

I know Southend fairly well as I’ve been there several times already, but Norwich is a bit of an unknown quantity. Has anyone with a bit more experience than me got any tips / advice for flying in there, or any thoughts on the route north of Harwich (things to watch out for, who to talk to etc).

All comments gratefully received.

Rallye Driver
10th Jul 2002, 12:27
I did a similar route for my QXC, but went to Southend first, then up to Maldon and Ipswich.

Ipswich is big so it is hard to miss, it also has a large bridge which is a good landmark. At Ipswich I used a 010 VOR radial from Clacton (CLN), which took me direct to Norwich, routing east of Wattisham's MATZ.

Talk to Norwich as soon as you turn north. They have radar and will give you a good FIS, especially if gliders are active out of Tibenham, when it can get quite hectic. It's all green fields in that part of the country, so Diss is a good landmark on your left, as it has a railway, main roads, river and the disused airfield nearby at Eye.

The main runway at Norwich is east/west (09/27), so it is not that visible as you approach from the south. But you can see the cross runway (04/22), and it is easy to confuse it, and think that's where you land. They will route you to the west or east of the built up areas, depending on which runway is in use. (They do have a sheet with the approach routes marked which they may be able to fax you before you leave.)

They will probably park you at the eastern end of the main apron. The booking in point is at the western end of the terminal.

I used the Clacton VOR to route back as well (inbound on 190, then outbound on 250 back to Maldon to avoid the Danger Area, before intercepting the 260 LAM radial for home). Although it's pretty hard to get lost coming back south as you will eventually cross the big Harwich/Ipswich estuary, and be able to get your bearing there anyway.

If you are going to Southend, you could use a CLN radial to take you straight there.

Good luck with your QXC, it's a great feeling when you get back with your form all signed up!

FNG
10th Jul 2002, 12:34
The main thing to note with Norwich is that they like you to call them EARLY. They can get quite busy, especially when the fast jets are active from Coltishall. The ATCOs are fine. They may well give you an overhead join if you ask for it, but otherwise you are likely to be instructed to join on base. They quite often use right and left hand circuits simultaneously. KLM airliners use the field so NB wake turbulence. NB also that two of the runways are angled close together so the overhead join could be a good idea, to make sure that you have the right one.

On the ground the runways and taxiways go on for ever. You will eventually pick up a Marshaller who will direct you to a parking stand (and/or the Tower may give you a stand number) , and may even get a bus ride into the terminal. Fuel will come to you in a bowser if you want it. Drop your QXC assessment form off at the "C" point before going in for a cup of tea, and collect it before leaving when paying your landing fee and fuel bill. On the way out you will have to pass through security, so maybe take your medical cert or some other ID and say that you are "Crew of G-...."

As you probably already know, from Brentwood, you have a good run up past Chelmsford and Rivenhall to Sudbury (the disused airfield is a good marker, with a TV mast to the south for confirmation). Lakenheath will give you a squawk and good service (NB rapid American accented RT) if you carry on up through their MATZ to the racing circuit at Snetterton, from north of which the dual carriageway leads you to the big road junction south west of Norwich (leaving Old Buck on your right). From here you should be able to see the Cathedral, and probably the airfield north of the City.

The run between Norwich and Southend is fairly straightforward, with good features such as the tall mast at Talconeston (NB gliders at Tibenham) another mast west of Debenham, the railway to Ipswich, and Ipswich itself with its estuary and road bridge. When I did it (Duxford-Southend-Norwich-Duxford), I didn't bother with Harwich and went via Colchester and the Blackwater.

Enjoy the trip: most people do, after the first few minutes of nervouness. It is a highlight of the course. If the weather goes funny or you become at all uncertain, Lakenheath can find you on radar, and if it really starts to unravel, D&D would positively welcome your call.

Edit: I see that Rallye Driver replied whilst I was writing my reply, making many similar points. Glad that I'm not the only one to think that the runways can be confused!

Who has control?
10th Jul 2002, 12:40
Coming into Southend from the north, if you fly over Burnham-on-Crouch, which is on the north bank of the river and then steer 240 (+/- a bit of drift), you will be aiming straight down the runway. Or, you can use the ILS localiser on 111.35

SND Approach will probably ask you report crossing the River Crouch anyway.

niknak
10th Jul 2002, 13:24
For the leg to Norwich:

1 - As already said, call as early as possible, radar coverage is out to 40nm Radius of Norwich, so anywhere between 40 - 30 miles is fine. ATC will not give you navigational assistance unless you ask for it, but if you're having problems let them know
straight away. Providing you've shown that you're using all the facilities available to you to get yourself out of pickle, they very rarely put it on the QXC form or tell anyone else.

2 - Do not ask for an overhead join - they're very rarely permitted due to the complexity of the traffic situation with Coltishall.

3 - Unless the wind is a strong NE'ly or SW'ly, expect to be told that runway 27 or 09 is in use. On weekday's runway 22 is rarely used for landing because of the proximity of the approach path to the Coltishall runway 22 climb out lane. (If you think you may not be able to accept 27/09, let atc know when you ring before setting off, and they'll do their utmost to fit you in on runway 22).
Departures on runway 22 are rarely a problem.

4 - For runway 27, expect to join direct to left base rather than downwind. For runway 09, expect to join downwind right hand. ATC do their best to fit QXC flights in with no delay, but sometimes delays are required.

5 - Once you've landed, don't vacate the runway until instructed, as has been previously mentioned there are several taxi routes and you may be sent via an alternative route due to opposite direction taxying a/c. If you're parked on a remote stand, a marshaller and transport will always meet you, and take you back again.

6 - If it's a nice day, expect the world and their dog to be out between Harwich and Norwich, civvies, military and others.

7 - Expect the R/T to be very busy, but try not let this spook you, I know it can be a bit intimidating, but try and stay cool, and if in doubt ask for the message to be repeated - ATC don't expect perfection.

8 - Enjoy. :) :) :)

formationfoto
10th Jul 2002, 17:25
Don't know what dictated Harwich rather than Ipswich as the turning point for Norwich but.. Brentwood - Ipswich is a doddle. Nice line feature all the way with convenient way points at Chelmsford, Witham, and Colchester. I guess you could use these and keep to the right of them for Harwich. but it does put you close to D139 I think. I would choose Ipswich - great landmark in the Orwell bridge near to what was Ipswich airfield until the developers grabbed it for housing.

Ipswich to Norwich could be busy on a sunny day with lots of small airfields and aviators not having to talk to any authorities. Easy on workload other than the look out. Another great line feature in the A140 which goes all the way from the west of Ipswich up to Norwich. Taking Harwich Direct or Orwell bridge direct puts you to the East of this line feature and in quite open terrain with little to assist on a murky day. If following the road look out for Mendlesham mast at 1234 Ft (QNH) about ten miles north of Ipswich. You might want to talk to Wattisham but you miss the atz if you follow the road (just enter the MATZ stub). Beyond this there is a small chicken s**t powered power station on a disused airfield at Eye, just south of the town of Diss. By now you will want to be talking to Norwich who are only really interested in you from about Mendlesham on. Beyond Diss you pass Tibenham which is busy on a good convective day and you will be advised of 'numerous radar returns from what are believed to be gliders'. If you keep to the right of the road you should be clear of the intense activity and any winch work but all around here expect to find gliding activity if the conditions are right. You may alsi be passed information about traffic from Old Buckenham, about three miles North West of Tibenham - quite an active field. Following the road puts you mid way between Old Buckenham and Seething (my home field). You will find two old type masts at Stoke Holy Cross about five miles south of Norwich and on the direct track from Harwich or slightly east of track following the A140. Expect to be asked to report visual these masts or passing the Southern by pass for Norwich which is a part ring road around the south of the city. 27 is the expected runway in which case you will route towards the city then turn East to downwind. The airport looks to be North of the city on the half mil but is actually enclosed a little by development now. It should stand out reasonably well though with a cross runway directed at the terminal building and a longer main 27/09. Coming from this direction you are unlikely to mistake Coltishall for Norwich but if you are in the circuit with a couple of Jaguars you have gone too far!.
Norwich air traffic are generally friendly and will help you out if they know you are on QXC.
For the return you might want to follow the same route back or ring the changes and route to Felixstowe then Southend. Less to assist on this route but going South you can afford to head pretty much due South until you see Ipswich then keep it on your right. If ever in doubt go a little further left as the sea is a great line feature which will get you to Felixstowe. The only thing on this route is not to fly over Leiston (sizewell power station) I think they still shoot you down for this on the basis that you might be trying to use your C150 as a nuclear detonating device - only up to 2,000 ft I think but best not to test them at 2001 ft!.
So that is the journey - have a good one

stiknruda
10th Jul 2002, 19:08
totally concur with FF

but just be aware that there are several disused WWII aerodromes between Brentwood and Norwich that can all begin to look very similar.

Another mast that sticks out is Sudbury and there are a couple of lower ones north of Colchester near Harwich.

On a good vis day it will be a peice of ease (if you keep the sea to your right whilst hdg north - you won't be too far out of "zone" - when you start to head west and the sea is on your right then Norwich is south of you.

Norwich City itself can be quite hard to see in poor vis (esp if the sun is very low) so I would suggest that you aim to arrive late morning to mid afternoon to give yourself the best chance if it is a little cloudy over Norfolk.

The Eye power station that FF refers to pours out copious amounts of white smoke/water vapour and is situated on the side of an old disused 'drome just a few miles north of Mendlesham mast.

Even if the viz is not perfect - hdg and time to run should be more than adequate. I'm VERY familiar with this area so feel free to contact me off list if you need more data.

Sizewell (FF's Leiston power station) looks like a huge golfball on the coast - do not mistake the sugar beet factory (white smoke!!) at Loddon, just north of Bungay for Eye. Not impossible to do if you are 15 miles away and can see the smoke but pretty hard to do close up!

During the week there is a lot of low level mil traffic (rotary and FJ) so a chat with Norwich App early on is a good idea.

Have fun, you will enjoy it!

G SXTY
10th Jul 2002, 21:31
Some excellent advice there, many thanks for the replies.

Formationfoto
The turn at Harwich was simply to keep me well to the east of the Wattisham stub, but you make a good point about being able to follow the A140 from Ipswich – this would probably make life a lot easier.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply - all I need now is some decent weather. Ideas on a postcard please . . . ;)

Keef
10th Jul 2002, 21:48
All good advice from good folks. One to add:

Near Norwich is Coltishall. I read occasional reports about folks talking to Norwich and landing at Coltishall...

So work out what you expect to see, in what direction, and what Coltishall would look like if you got it wrong...

Enjoy the trip - sounds like a fun one!

Who has control?
11th Jul 2002, 07:40
Coming back to Southend, don't forget about the new Bradwell TRA over the Power Station.

Is there a TRA at Sizewell too?

G SXTY
11th Jul 2002, 09:19
I believe the TRAs apply to all nuclear installations in the UK.

In any case, Southend Approach are pretty good at reminding you if it looks like you’re getting too close to Bradwell. Personally, I’d give it a wide berth whatever the altitude – I wouldn’t want my QXC appearing on CNN. :eek: :eek: