PDA

View Full Version : Can I fly an airplane in the UK with an FAA PPL?

Ebbie 2003
17th Mar 2017, 17:17
Title kind of says it all, but to expand.

I am British, I have an FAA PPL (my only flying licence), I am domiciled overseas.

My question is simple - assuming I can find someone to rent me an airplane - can I legally do so in the UK.

I ask as I have been reading all sorts of odd things about JAR, EASA and some kind of down on US registered planes, certain ratings and such - Googling the subject seems to give lots of irate articles about the issue from, mainly, 2005 to 2010 then quiet.

Does anyone have a direct answer to my questiion.

Thanks in advance.:sad:

:ugh:

alex90
17th Mar 2017, 18:43
As the rules presently stand; Assuming that the April 2017 deadline is extended to April 2019 (which I have no real source confirming either way) [http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/easa/] - if you can find an N-reg plane in the UK, you should be able to rent it completely legally with an FAA certificate.

If April 2017 deadline goes ahead, then as of April 2017, it will depend where the N-reg is based, if it is in the UK, you will need both EASA licence AND FAA certificate to fly the aeroplane in UK airspace. Funnily enough however, if the aeroplane is based in the UK, but you rent it from another EU country (ie: France), technically you only require the FAA certificate providing that you don't fly in UK airspace. Oddly enough - but irrespective of the question, an N-reg based in the UK can be flown in UK airspace, with a UK issued EASA licence.

(ps: anyone who has more information may contradict me, but I did spend considerable time looking at purchasing an N-reg in early Jan)

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Mar 2017, 19:12
If only we could form some sort of international club, which could agree that "an aeroplane is an aeroplane" and "a pilot is a pilot". We could give it a name with some initials, which seems to be the way things are done in the aviation world - how about "ICAO" for starters?

Crash one
17th Mar 2017, 19:52
Could the FAA licenced pilot fly a G reg aircraft in the UK? Or in th US?
A complete and utter shambolic dogs breakfast.

alex90
17th Mar 2017, 20:24
Could we form a new state of registry which would actually adhere to ICAO, with our own registration prefix. Adhere to maintenance schedule as set out per the manufacturer, and have a sensible "minor modification" system, along with adhering to STCs set out in FAAland... Make it a worldwide thing (as ICAO aimed to do).

Without all the bureaucracy and money wasted on paperwork...

(And no I don't mean something sensible like the "permit to fly" I mean something that is accepted worldwide)

Anyway, silly ideas aside, some country specific differences are good to have, for instance in NZ the low flying (due wx) and the terrain awareness (to avoid mountains). It's also quite useful to have local differences training.

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Mar 2017, 21:45
Anyway, silly ideas aside, some country specific differences are good to have ...
Can't argue with that - in the southern UK "dressed to survive" means you've got a woolly jumper, a mobile phone and a credit card. In other parts of the world you need serious winter gear, a fish hook and a gun - it's worth being trained as necessary in the differences!

Genghis the Engineer
17th Mar 2017, 23:43
Could the FAA licenced pilot fly a G reg aircraft in the UK? Or in th US?
A complete and utter shambolic dogs breakfast.

It certainly used to be the case that a US qualified pilot had PPL privileges VFR in the UK and could legally rent a G-reg . Did that change when I wasn't paying attention?

piperboy84
18th Mar 2017, 00:43
I really hope the deadline gets pushed back again, I'm just to old, impatient and really can't be arsed starting over training and taking exams for a PPL & IR issued by a EU agency to replace the FAA one I struggled to get in the first place. And I also dread the nonsense I would have to comply with if that little shytebag in Edinburgh gets her way and throws us to the mercy of the Brussels bureaucrats for licensing.

Best let sleeping dogs lie, it's working fine the way it is.

Crash one
18th Mar 2017, 11:04
It certainly used to be the case that a US qualified pilot had PPL privileges VFR in the UK and could legally rent a G-reg . Did that change when I wasn't paying attention?

Didn't EASA poke its nose into that and demand a FAA pilot get an EASA licence to fly EASA aircraft, or N aircraft in Europe. Or did that get put on the back burner, I seem to remember something?

alex90
18th Mar 2017, 22:53
CrashOne,

I read somewhere that the UK and the USA had reciprocal agreements with regards to this which overruled EASA nonsense...!

If only people stopped thinking only about lining their own pockets and thought a little about joining hands - it would make us all so much happier! (And maybe a little more sane too)

Romeo Tango
19th Mar 2017, 09:10
This is one of the reasons I voted for BREXIT .........

avionimc
19th Mar 2017, 10:24
Just imagine if we had to go through similar absurd CAAs and/or EASA hurdles when renting a car in a foreign country... Sit and pass local "road-law" and other written exams, local medical/eye exam, language proficiency (in order to read the local road signs), etc. Different car type-ratings for a VW Passat, Vauxhall Astra or Fiat Punto. Notwithstanding that in some countries they normally drive on the wrong side of the road.

How did we, the pilot community, allow these bureaucrats to restrict general aviation in such a way? Didn't these countries sign the ICAO Chicago convention?

Gertrude the Wombat
19th Mar 2017, 10:40
Sit and pass local "road-law" and other written exams ...
You can get caught out though. I slowed down to drive past some roadworks in Canada, then get pulled over and told off for not slowing down enough. Apparently I should have known that there is an automatic 30mph limit past roadworks that isn't signposted - never come across that anywhere else, and the rental company didn't give me a crib sheet of local "gotchas".

Crash one
19th Mar 2017, 12:18
The terrorists are winning.
The empire builders are winning.
Apathy is winning.
None of them can agree on the colour of ****e.
They are all too big for the rest of us to do anything about it.
Wait until EASA decides that to fly in any European country you have to be able to speak, read and understand the local language to level six.
The UK is becoming a police state.
Speed limits are being reduced to 40mph, dogs must be micro chipped, an air gun licence required in Scotland.
How long before the Police cotton on to the fact that we can still fly from one end of the country to the other without them being able to pull us over for a sniff?

hoodie
19th Mar 2017, 13:06
As an answer to the OP, from here (https://www.flyer.co.uk/validity-of-third-country-licenses-extended/):

Pilots holding non-EU licences for the non-commercial operation of aircraft with Europe are to have the validity of those licences and aeromedical certificates extended by another two years.

It will affect FAA licence holders and others.

The European Aviation Safety Agency and the EU Commission have issued the plan to extend the current opt-out in the Aircrew Regulation to 8 April 2019.

Pilots holding such a third country licence are advised to contact their national aviation authorities in order to receive further information on the individual use of the said opt-out by their Member States.

MORE [EASA link] (https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/regulations/opt-out-from-regulations)

Jetblu
19th Mar 2017, 13:20
Apathy is winning.
Wait until EASA decides that to fly in any European country you have to be able to speak, read and understand the local language to level six.
Speed limits are being reduced to 40mph, dogs must be micro chipped, an air gun licence required in Scotland.
How long before the Police cotton on to the fact that we can still fly from one end of the country to the other without them being able to pull us over for a sniff?

If only PPRuNe had a like button. :ok:

piperboy84
19th Mar 2017, 14:51
Apathy is winning.

Yeap this democracy thing just ain't working out for us, way too many know-it-all do gooders and busy bodies. We should give the 'benevolent dictator' option a try and see how we get on, something along the lines of Tito's Yugoslavia looks like it may have potential.

Crash one
19th Mar 2017, 17:12
Anyone with a notion to become a politician, beaurocrat, industrialist or accountant should be sent to Gruinard island for a ten year course in urban survival. Wearing nothing and carrying the tools of their proposed trade. A sheaf of white paper, an empty book of rules, a boardroom table, an abacus.
This system should have been implemented years ago, just prior to the Anthrax experiment.
When I was working as a toolmaker we would routinely solve all of the worlds problems during our lunch hour, analysing every solution to within a thou" or five microns for the Europeans.

Ebbie 2003
19th Mar 2017, 18:23
From this I am getting - no one knows.

I am going to assume I am looking at a UK (G) registered airplane.

A really simple question - can I or can I not fly it solo.

On the Brexit thing I have found out that makes no difference UK will still be EASA afterwards.

I can see now why airplanes in the UK now cost less than they do in the US - everyone is getting rid of them.

hoodie
19th Mar 2017, 18:33
From this I am getting - no one knows.

Yes, they do. Look at my post #15.

Gertrude the Wombat
19th Mar 2017, 22:29
On the Brexit thing I have found out that makes no difference UK will still be EASA afterwards.
Only of the ECJ has no role in interpreting EASA regulations or resolving disputes around EASA, as "getting out from under the ECJ" is apparently a "red line" for our unelected prime minister.

So, if it's not the ECJ that sorts out legal issues with EASA, which courts do have jurisdiction?

Crash one
20th Mar 2017, 01:07
I am obviously wrong but if EASA stands for European Ass Safety Administration and we are no longer European, then logic would dictate.......what exactly?

Whopity
20th Mar 2017, 08:03
I am British, I have an FAA PPL (my only flying licence), I am domiciled overseas.

My question is simple - assuming I can find someone to rent me an airplane - can I legally do so in the UK.
Simply; Yes, the UK ANO Art 150 allows the holder of an ICAO licence to fly UK Annex II aircraft indefinitely and the current EASA rule allows the holder of an ICAO licence to fly an EASA aircraft up to the 8th April 2017, subject to the decision of the NAA registering the aircraft. The UK CAA is now likely to extend this to April 2019.

BEagle
20th Mar 2017, 13:22
It is the DfT, not the CAA, which has to invoke the necessary flexibility clause of the Basic Regulation to extend the Art. 12(4) derogation.

But whereas the EC and EASA are content for a 2 year extension to the derogation, which would permit FAA licence holders to fly EASA aircraft for private purposes without needing a Part-FCL licence, it seems that the DfT may decide to gold plate this and restrict the extension to 12 months....

As for those whingeing about remaining within EASA after the UK leaves the EU thanks to the dim-witted 'exit' voters who believed that blustering bag of wind Boris, just remember that any other option (such as moving legislation back to Gatwick and Westminster) would certainly increase your costs due to the need to re-employ staff no longer required since EASA took over...

suninmyeyes
20th Mar 2017, 13:59
Having instructed in both the USA and the UK I would certainly recommend that before you fly in the UK you make yourself familiar with the UK CAA chart and airspace which is very different to the FAA sectional chart. Also different are semi-circular rule, traffic pattern/circuit entry, VFR transponder squawk, information/ radio service instead of Unicom.

It is not that difficult but if you just launch off you might find out the differences the hard way. Plus there are lots of small instructor differences. When I learnt to fly in the UK in a Cessna 150 I was taught not to lower the the flaps in a turn. The American circuits are tighter and FAA instructors have no restrictions on lowering flaps in a turn.

galaxy flyer
20th Mar 2017, 14:04
would certainly increase your costs due to the need to re-employ staff no longer required since EASA took over...

Excellent time to test out whether you need that staff at all...

GF

Ebbie 2003
20th Mar 2017, 21:27
Seems that there are some views here - key one seems to be the extending of the 8th April 2017 date by a further two years - has that happened - there is only a couple of weeks to go?

With my non-flying hat on - the ECJ will continue to have jurisdiction over those areas where the appropriate body has contracted jurisdiction - so still got EASA, still got ECJ - this can change but I would think it will be far down the list of priorities come 28th March.

I have flown in the UK previously albeit not for more than fifteen years - now with the advent of GPS and those lovely magenta lines I do not anticipate too many problems and do expect to have a few hours of ground to reinforce my reading.:sad:

Duchess_Driver
21st Mar 2017, 08:34
Sent an email to CAA validations on this subject last week. Will post if/when I get a response.

Whopity
21st Mar 2017, 08:56
Will post if/when I get a response. Could be a long wait!

Jim59
21st Mar 2017, 18:36
The derogations that allow flying a G-REG aircraft on a non-EASA licence in the UK are published by the CAA. The most recent I can find is ORS4 1171 dated 3rd May 2016. See link below.
ORS4 No.1171: Amended use of Derogations Notified to the European Commission by the United Kingdom under Article 12 of the Aircrew Regulation effective 8 April 2016 (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=7351)

The relevant part expires on 8th April '17 unless they extend it with a new derogation.

The list of ORS4 docs is at:
List of Official Record Series 4 - Miscellaneous (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&catid=1&id=17&mode=list&pagetype=65&type=sercat)

Duchess_Driver
21st Mar 2017, 18:55
Could be a long wait!

To be fair, validations usually respond reasonably quickly... unlike approvals support! But having said that, I've probably just jinxed it!

Bob Upanddown
24th Mar 2017, 15:40
I have just received an email from AOPA which says..
Private Flights in "N" Registered EASA Aircraft beyond April 2017

In response to a query raised by Nick Wilcock, the DfT has confirmed that the UK will be extending the derogation for private flights in ‘N-reg’ EASA aircraft within UK airspace (without the pilot needing to hold an FAA Airmen Certificate) beyond 8th April 2017. Currently we are waiting to hear whether the UK will be adopting the full 2 year recommendation of EASA and the European Commission.Surely that should read without an EASA licence? Or am I missing another piece of regulation?

Jhieminga
24th Mar 2017, 21:54
I think that this is the right way around, they are talking about a US registered aircraft flown by a UK (EASA) license holder. But the thread was about flying a G-reg aircraft on a FAA license so that question is still open.

If you hold an FAA license then there is nothing stopping you from operating a US registered aircraft, as long as it is for private flights only. (usual caveats apply though)

Bob Upanddown
25th Mar 2017, 09:19
Flying an N reg in the UK using a UK license is something that the FAA accept under FAR Part 61 (61.3). That, as far as I know, has not been subject to any other UK regulation.

I know this thread is about using an FAA license in the UK but I think AOPA have their derogations muddled.

Ebbie 2003
25th Mar 2017, 19:57
Jhieminga is right the query is on flying a G reg airplane with an FAA PPL.

N reg airplanes I'll fly wherever I like;)

Seems that the thing to be extended from April 2017 to April 2019 was/is in respect of a G licence holder flying an N registered airplane.

Believe me this is all very complicated and confusing - possibly the answer to what I am asking is so ridiculously obvious that it is inhibiting the answer?

Ebbie 2003
7th Apr 2017, 13:33
Hello All

Latest info related to this wheeze

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=7828

Seems I am good until this time next year and then a test on air law 'n stuff.

Need to get a European medical too it seems.

Good luck to all you UK guys when the US retaliates, reforms FAR 61.75 and makes you all need a US medical and a knowledge test too:)

Ebbie 2003
10th Apr 2017, 00:54
Seems from their guidance that something is supposed to happen before the 15th April this year, can't work out what.

n5296s
10th Apr 2017, 15:56
Need to get a European medical too it seems.

Or just an FAA Class 2? A Class 2 medical is the same as Class 3 (PPL) except it includes an eye test, and it says "Class 2" on the piece of paper. And it expires after one year, though it remains valid as a Class 3 for as long as the equivalent Class 3 would. So just ask your AME to make it Class 2 instead of Class 3.

Last time I flew solo in the UK, you just needed to posess an FAA license and medical. Looks like they have decided to make it a lot more bureaucratic, with an explicit validation. France did the same thing a few years ago too. You used to be able to show up at the FSDO-equivalent (DGAC) with your licence and medical and they would give you a piece of paper which was essentially a French PPL. Now it takes weeks. France doesn't ask for a Class 2 but does ask for a medical issued within the last 12 months.

Ebbie 2003
10th Apr 2017, 18:53
All very confusing however you read it.

gob11
9th May 2017, 14:11
Does anyone know about ICAO licenses other than the FAA ones... I'm living in the UK with a Brazilian PPL (ICAO) willing to fly in a flying group in order to build some hours for the EASA CPL...

Ebbie 2003
21st Jan 2019, 01:27
I am still as confused about this as I was two years ago.

In October 2017, with the info here I visited Earls Colne - I am an FAA PPL and I would like to rent on of your airplanes, a PA28 I own one and have lots of recent time.

They referred me to their expert CFI, who informed me that no I could not rent one of their airplanes and that my licence and experience were woryhless, I would need to do their PPL course etc etc. he even gave me the 40 hours nonsense.

Anyway I am going over in May - past the Brexit date and the April thing.

So can I solo anywhere in the UK, not fussed if G or N registered.

After all the guff last time that resulted in a wasted trip - I am looking for an actual airplane, location, contact name, email, phone number so I can set it up in advance:)

ETOPS
21st Jan 2019, 08:40
I wonder if the way round this is to make contact with an owner of an FAA registered aircraft here in the UK? There are around 200 such aircraft over here with the Cirrus SR20/22 being the most numerous. Equally there are a number of high end Biz jets - how's your G6 type rating :ok:

But there are quite a number of Pipers and Cessnas around - my own field has a C182 based for instance.

Place to ask is https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=1 along with this thread.

Or just ask Sam Rutherford......

MrAverage
21st Jan 2019, 09:19
We have an Archer II with Garmin 750 and G5. However, there is a process you need to go through to validate your FAA licence to rent the aircraft. It's a little known fact that validation is still required even on N reg aircraft. This process is not quick. You would need to start soon. Please send me a PM..............

alland2012
22nd Jan 2019, 11:16
Ebbie I have just spent the last 6 months jumping through the hoops in order to validate my FAA PPL to fly in the UK.

1. I had to take the UK Air law exam - a week of study saw me through that one.
2. Next up was the Human Performance exam - again with a little study time it really wasn't an issue,
Both exams are choosing from multi choice questions, and frankly if you can't get enough correct to score a pass, then you shouldn't be flying !!
So you'll have nothing to worry about there. For tuition I used ppltutor.com
Next up was submit form SRG2140 plus copies of my log book and FAA licence and my FAA class 3 medical cert (all copies certified by a CAA DPE) to the CAA.

I submitted everything at the beginning of October 2018, I received an email at the beginning of December asking me to submit the most recent page of my log book again,( it appears they could not find the original copy I sent in) anyway I sent off another certified copy and followed that up with a phone call to ask how long it would now take to process my validation. The reply I got was they are working approx 4 weeks behind from date of recieving applications, when I said I sent my paperwork in at the beginning of October which was almost 8 weeks back, they said due to me having to submit more info (lost log book page) it re-sets the clock so it would take approx another 4 weeks to process.

Early January I finally recieved an email from the CAA confiming my FAA cert is validated and I am now free to fly in the UK (G-Reg VFR daytime only, N-Reg no restrictions as long as I'm current in type)
The only downside now is the declaration is only valid unit 8th April 2019 or the implementation of the BASA agreement, whichever comes first.

So what happens after the 8th April is unknown at this point in time, maybe there will be an extension maybe not ?
Also to add to my frustrations my Flight Review is now due, which I'm now busy organising a suitable mutual schedule with a UK based FAA CFI to get that knocked out.

In retrospect for me as I'm now going to be based in the UK more than in the US I should have just worked on converting to a EASA cert. Maybe come the summer thats the route I'll go.

I will say, I'm not knocking the CAA in any way, whoever I've spoken with there have always tried to help me and been polite and understanding to my needs. I believe they are under staffed and under much pressure with the uncertainty over Brexit. I'm sure they have much more pressing things to sort out than a few of us foreign certificate PPL drivers who want to invade their airspace.

Grelly
22nd Jan 2019, 13:01
I am still as confused about this as I was two years ago.

In October 2017, with the info here I visited Earls Colne - I am an FAA PPL and I would like to rent on of your airplanes, a PA28 I own one and have lots of recent time.

They referred me to their expert CFI, who informed me that no I could not rent one of their airplanes and that my licence and experience were woryhless, I would need to do their PPL course etc etc. he even gave me the 40 hours nonsense.

This is a bit of a moving target, but AIUI there are currently multiple options.
1. Convert to a Euro Licence. This is IMHO the worst option unless you live here and/or plan to fly a lot. Again, various options:
a) UK NPPL (ask the LAA for details, but I think they assess your experience and come up with a differences training plan)
b) EASA PPL. You need a minimum of 100 hours total time, plus a (Euro I think) class II medical.
2. Validate your licence. Google SRG2140 and possibly SRG2142.
3. Fly UK registered (sometime called permit aircraft) on your FAA licence. Not many of these available to rent. If you are ok with tail draggers, try the Tiger Club.
4. Possibly some other options I can't remember.
Note that if you intend to use the Radio, you will need an Aircraft Radio Licence (Google FRTOL)

That's my understanding...

ETOPS
22nd Jan 2019, 14:11
Hold on a minute. If an American pilot with an FAA licence flys into the U.K. in his N reg aircraft he doesn't run to the CAA for a validation. How do all those biz jets arriving at Biggin etc manage to take off without going through this 6 month process.

I think Ebbie should just turn up with his FAA licence and fly a "friendly" N reg aircraft with its owner....

Grelly
22nd Jan 2019, 15:42
Hold on a minute. If an American pilot with an FAA licence flys into the U.K. in his N reg aircraft he doesn't run to the CAA for a validation. How do all those biz jets arriving at Biggin etc manage to take off without going through this 6 month process.

I think Ebbie should just turn up with his FAA licence and fly a "friendly" N reg aircraft with its owner....

I haven't looked at this option recently. I seem to remember that EASA wanted you to have both FAA and EASA licences, but I may be wrong. As you say, pilots with international qualifications do arrive and depart every day, so there must be a way.

BEagle
22nd Jan 2019, 18:49
Unfortunately, because of the absurd UK/EU exit nonsense brought about by those fools who voted to leave the EU, the DfT now has to look at other options for 3rd country licence holders flying in the UK, rather than those of the derogations available under the recent Regulation (EU) 2018/1974.

The long-awaited EU/US BASA is also in doubt, thanks to the current situation...

Whopity
22nd Jan 2019, 23:31
Article 150 allows you to exercise the privileges of an FAA licence on a Annex 1 aircraft i.e a non EASA aircraft.
Deeming a non-United Kingdom flight crew licence and any Part-FCL licence valid for non-EASA aircraft registered in the United Kingdom and deeming a non-United Kingdom radiotelephony licence valid for any aircraft
150.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), this article applies to any licence which authorises the holder to act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft and is—
(a) granted under the law of a Contracting State other than the United Kingdom but which is not a Part-FCL licence;

To fly an EASA aircraft you will need to compete SRG 2140 and comply with the notes attached to that form.

N reg aircraft operating into the UK fall into a totally different category as they are not based in Europe.

Maoraigh1
23rd Jan 2019, 20:01
May be useful to mention that C172 and Pa28 (etc) are EASA aircraft, as a non-EU pilot might think otherwise.

alland2012
18th Apr 2019, 14:44
Ebbie I have just spent the last 6 months jumping through the hoops in order to validate my FAA PPL to fly in the UK.

1. I had to take the UK Air law exam - a week of study saw me through that one.
2. Next up was the Human Performance exam - again with a little study time it really wasn't an issue,
Both exams are choosing from multi choice questions, and frankly if you can't get enough correct to score a pass, then you shouldn't be flying !!
So you'll have nothing to worry about there. For tuition I used ppltutor.com
Next up was submit form SRG2140 plus copies of my log book and FAA licence and my FAA class 3 medical cert (all copies certified by a CAA DPE) to the CAA.

I submitted everything at the beginning of October 2018, I received an email at the beginning of December asking me to submit the most recent page of my log book again,( it appears they could not find the original copy I sent in) anyway I sent off another certified copy and followed that up with a phone call to ask how long it would now take to process my validation. The reply I got was they are working approx 4 weeks behind from date of recieving applications, when I said I sent my paperwork in at the beginning of October which was almost 8 weeks back, they said due to me having to submit more info (lost log book page) it re-sets the clock so it would take approx another 4 weeks to process.

Early January I finally recieved an email from the CAA confiming my FAA cert is validated and I am now free to fly in the UK (G-Reg VFR daytime only, N-Reg no restrictions as long as I'm current in type)
The only downside now is the declaration is only valid unit 8th April 2019 or the implementation of the BASA agreement, whichever comes first.

So what happens after the 8th April is unknown at this point in time, maybe there will be an extension maybe not ?
Also to add to my frustrations my Flight Review is now due, which I'm now busy organising a suitable mutual schedule with a UK based FAA CFI to get that knocked out.

In retrospect for me as I'm now going to be based in the UK more than in the US I should have just worked on converting to a EASA cert. Maybe come the summer thats the route I'll go.

I will say, I'm not knocking the CAA in any way, whoever I've spoken with there have always tried to help me and been polite and understanding to my needs. I believe they are under staffed and under much pressure with the uncertainty over Brexit. I'm sure they have much more pressing things to sort out than a few of us foreign certificate PPL drivers who want to invade their airspace.

Just a quick update on the above situation regarding FAA/CAA Validation.
With the 8th April looming I contacted the CAA and asked them will my current FAA validation simply get re-newed or will I need to begin the whole process again from scratch...?
At the time of my call no one seemed to be able to give me a definitive answer, however a week later I received email comfirmation stating that no it won't just be re-newed and I had to submit all the documentation and fee again.!

So that's where I'm at right now, all the paper work has gone in again and I've just received an email today informing me that they are now waiting for a reply from the FAA to confirm my current FAA licence status.
At least things seem to be moving along faster than my first application which took 6 months to process.

Sam Rutherford
19th Apr 2019, 07:56
Bit surprised to see my name mentioned earlier - but happy to help if able!

Ebbie 2003
19th Apr 2019, 23:57
The recent post, better than the "you have to do a complete UK PPL course" nonsense I was told at Esrks Colne in Srptember 2019.

I will not bother

Would like to see the FAA make UK pilots jump through the same hoops and stop didhing out the 61.75 tickets!

custardpsc
7th Jul 2019, 21:48
Ebbie - what whopity says above is correct. You need to fill out form 2140 and have an Examiner sign it to say that your knowldge of UK air law and procedures is satisfactory. You can use your FAA medical. Thats all you need. Here is the link to the UK CAA website that will give you the full info
SRG2140: Declaration for Pilots holding an ICAO Compliant Flight Crew Licence Issued by the FAA for use in UK Airspace (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=7863)

alland2012
8th Jul 2019, 11:16
I did eventually receive my FAA validation from the CAA valid for 12 Months (see my journey update in post #51 above)
So I'm good to go....well not quite, I now have to do the R/T exam to get my radio licence.So Study the Communications CAP413 manual, part with £100 examiners fee, and then I'm good to go...I think !

custardpsc
8th Jul 2019, 12:32
I did eventually receive my FAA validation from the CAA valid for 12 Months (see my journey update in post #51 above)
So I'm good to go....well not quite, I now have to do the R/T exam to get my radio licence.So Study the Communications CAP413 manual, part with £100 examiners fee, and then I'm good to go...I think !

I couldn't find the private licence guidance but FYI the commercial licence guidance says only one validation, which can be extended once , only before it expires.

Wondering, why did you go through the validation process instead of just submitting the 2140 form ?

alland2012
8th Jul 2019, 13:24
I couldn't find the private licence guidance but FYI the commercial licence guidance says only one validation, which can be extended once , only before it expires.

Wondering, why did you go through the validation process instead of just submitting the 2140 form ?

I did submit the 2140 form and followed the process exactly as instructed by the CAA, which was to submit forms 2140 and 2142, up to date copies of my log book to show I was current ref. flight review date, copy of my FAA medical, all copies signed off by a CAA CFI

I've been given validation to fly G-Reg in the UK VFR day time only (No restrictions if I fly a N-Reg aircraft) for a period of 12 months, but what will happen following Brexit who knows....it could change things.

As you can't simply re-new the FAA validation on expiry and need to submit all documentation again, I've decided I'm not going to bother jumping through all the hoops again, I'll just complete the skills test and whatever else I need to do to get my EASA cert. which in retrospect I should have just done in the first place.

n5296s
8th Jul 2019, 16:24
Does anyone know WHY all this bureaucracy was introduced? Back in 2006 I just showed up at White Waltham, flew an hour with an instructor, got signed off, and flew solo. I didn't need to do any paperwork at all, other than showing them my FAA license and medical.

Even France doesn't require all this. At one time you just visited the local DGAC office (FSDO equivalent), paid them a bit less than 100 Euros, filled in a form, and you were good to go. Now they require validation from the FAA so you have to wait a few weeks. But you don't have to do exams, produce certified copies of your logbook, etc.

custardpsc
8th Jul 2019, 20:37
Allan, thanks, I get it now. What you have there technically isn't a validation. Its a declaration. Validations are usually for cpl/atpl and require a skill test/minimum hours etc. If you look at form 2140 it will ask you to confirm you don't have a vailidation !
I'd be interested to know exactly what they gave you in return for your completed form?

rudestuff
9th Jul 2019, 11:25
An email..

alland2012
10th Jul 2019, 10:13
Allan, thanks, I get it now. What you have there technically isn't a validation. Its a declaration. Validations are usually for cpl/atpl and require a skill test/minimum hours etc. If you look at form 2140 it will ask you to confirm you don't have a vailidation !
I'd be interested to know exactly what they gave you in return for your completed form?

My apologies, yes I used the incorrect terminology by saying validation, it is in fact a declaration I've made on SRG2140
As rudestuff says above, you simply receive an email once the CAA have received and processed the documentation required
The email I received simply states what I can and can't do, eg. Flying G-Reg Restricted to day VFR. FAA Certificate holders with a valid IR flying N-registered aircraft may continue to exercise IFR privileges in UK Airspace.
This declaration is valid to 8th April 2020 or the implementation of the BASA agreement, whichever comes first, and is subject to the maintenance of the FAA licence, medical and rating privileges.

And also tells me to keep a copy of the email and copy of the competed 2140 form and carry them with me to produce in the event of a ramp check.