PDA

View Full Version : Taxiway indentifier system at large airports?

piperboy84
14th Mar 2017, 06:26
Is there a published system or common rule applied on how taxiways letters are designated/assigned at large airports with multiple runways like JFK e.g. ?

chevvron
14th Mar 2017, 11:04
Yes, there's an ICAO document. Don't know what number it is but 8168 could be a od starting point.

India Four Two
15th Mar 2017, 06:32
pb84,

This might be what you are looking for:

ENGINEERING BRIEF NO. 89 TAXIWAY NOMENCLATURE CONVENTION
https://www.faa.gov/airports/engineering/engineering_briefs/media/EB-89.pdf

I like the first instruction:

Keep it simple and logical.

piperboy84
15th Mar 2017, 06:56
pb84,

This might be what you are looking for:

ENGINEERING BRIEF NO. 89 TAXIWAY NOMENCLATURE CONVENTION
https://www.faa.gov/airports/engineering/engineering_briefs/media/EB-89.pdf

I like the first instruction:

Thanks I42, interesting read.

TheOddOne
15th Mar 2017, 07:04
Or if you're in the UK, CAP 168, chapter 7 refers (nice pretty pictures). As it's fully ICAO compliant, it should be good all around the world, even the US. Last time I was there, major airports at least seem to be compliant.

The ICAO reference is Annex 14.

TOO

chevvron
15th Mar 2017, 15:07
Yeah even O'Hare had the change from its unique system of naming the taxiways eg 'the Outer Scenic' and the 'Penalty Box'.
We had named taxiways at Farnborough too and the ICAO regs changed just as we were becoming a civil airfield so we 'lost' taxiways like 'Vampire Way' - now a boring 'Taxiway Echo' and 'the Arrestor' now a boring 'Taxiway Charlie' whilst 'Mosquito Way' became part of taxiway Alpha.

foxmoth
16th Mar 2017, 07:15
Gatwick used to have a good system - sequential even numbers for N/S and odd for E/W (or it may have been the other way round) then they changed it to alphabetical because of standardisation, still a logic to it butnot quite so easy.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Mar 2017, 10:02
Follow the greens.....

foxmoth
16th Mar 2017, 20:04
Follow the greens.....

Taxi in yes, never noticed them on the way out!?

fireflybob
17th Mar 2017, 09:07
It also helps to have the airfield chart - at my local general aviation airfield (which has simple layout) it never ceases to amaze me that visiting aircraft seem clueless about where to taxi!