PDA

View Full Version : Doctorate programs?

Cpt_Schmerzfrei
11th Mar 2017, 12:43
Dear colleagues,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience on doctoral degree programs in the field of aviation safety. Any top tips, recommended institutions etc?

P.S.: Maybe I should add that I am aware of Embry-Riddle's program, but it comes with a hefty price tag

777AV8R
13th Mar 2017, 14:48
Embry-Riddle is arguably the best there is and you get what you pay for. Its the knowledge you receive through it that is important. You could send a a few hundred dollars to a backstreet certificate sweatshop and they will make anything you want.

Should you get a position in you field of study and your knowledge is questionable, kiss your career goodby. Word travels fast in this industry.

Cpt_Schmerzfrei
13th Mar 2017, 14:51
Many thanks for your thoughts on the subject. Coincidently, I happen to be an ERAU alumni. While I think that their BSc and MAS programs worked well for me, I am not so sure there aren't any good alternatives.

PEI_3721
13th Mar 2017, 16:26
Cpt, have you considered Cranfield?
I don't know about a doctorate, but their MSc (or equivalent) in safety/HF could be better value and more widely recognised in Europe, if not worldwide.

If I may ask, why a doctorate?

https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/courses/taught/safety-and-human-factors-in-aviation

Cpt_Schmerzfrei
13th Mar 2017, 17:25
Thanks. Cranfield is indeed a very renowned University. However, I already have a graduate degree.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Mar 2017, 17:27
I have a PhD in aeronautical engineering, concentrating upon the development of flight test techniques, with a heavy slant on safety and airworthiness.

I have supervised a couple of closely related PhDs, and could do again at a UK university I have a close association with. No, it's not cheap - but compared to the number of hours you'll put in, the number of euros are quite trivial! (Actually a PhD is probably cheaper than an MSc in most cases, because you aren't taking up expensive contact & lecture time to the same extent.)

Why a doctorate PEI asks. I'll offer an answer to that. An MSc is the qualification for highest level practitioners in a field, needing the highest standard of professional knowledge. A PhD is a research licence, training and qualifying somebody to engage in independent research in certainly their core topic, but often somewhat different subject areas.

So, you pick the one you want, for the career you want. Whilst technically a PhD (or related doctorates such as Eng.D) is a higher degree than an MSc - and going MSc then PhD isn't that unusual, in practice they are quite different beasts and sensible people will choose the route that suits their personal aspirations.

Cpt - if you want to contact me offline, I'd be glad to talk narrow specifics. If you want to talk generalities, I'm very happy to do it in public here.