PDA

View Full Version : Can you fly a G reg microlight with a French microlight licence?

Sam Rutherford
5th Mar 2017, 06:22
I could call the LAA tomorrow, but don't have the patience! ;)

Thanks, Sam.

Flyingmac
5th Mar 2017, 07:48
As with the Italian question, I believe the answer can be found in the Little book of blind eyes. Until there's an insurance claim.

Sam Rutherford
5th Mar 2017, 07:52
I ask because you can fly an Italian microlight with a French licence, or British...

Whopity
5th Mar 2017, 09:55
Try Article 151 Para (3)Permission required where pilot’s licence does not meet relevant minimum standards
151.—(1) This article applies to any pilot’s licence, other than a Part-FCL licence, endorsed to the effect that the holder does not satisfy in full the relevant minimum standards established under the Chicago Convention.
(2) The holder of such a licence, which has been granted or rendered valid under this Order, must not act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom in or over the territory of a Contracting State other than the United Kingdom, except in accordance with a permission granted by the competent authority of that State.
(3) The holder of a pilot’s licence, which has been granted or rendered valid under the law of a Contracting State other than the United Kingdom, must not act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft in or over the United Kingdom except in accordance with a permission granted by the CAA, whether or not the licence is rendered valid under this Order.

Sam Rutherford
5th Mar 2017, 10:01
Where is this from?

Genghis the Engineer
5th Mar 2017, 10:02
No you can't.

Like most countries, the UK only gives privileges to foreign holders of ICAO compliant licences. The French microlight licence is not ICAO compliant.

Basically, the French pilot either needs to fly with a UK instructor, or get a UK licence.

If it's in France, you might fudge something by putting the aircraft temporarily on the French microlight register.

Some countries elect to allow UK microlight licence holders to fly their national aircraft because the UK system is so rigorous, and for all reasonable purposes might be ICAO compliant. Similarly that some countries will give near-automatic approval to light or microlight aeroplane designs approved in the UK or Germany.

G

Sam Rutherford
5th Mar 2017, 10:13
That's what I thought.

I can request 28 day UK-use for my Italian microlight, apparently very simple and free.

So, has anyone ever tried a similar request but to solve the question as asked above? Was the response a simple 'no' or are there options?

Whopity
6th Mar 2017, 09:00
Where is this from?
The UK ANO 2016

Sam Rutherford
6th Mar 2017, 16:32
I've asked the CAA if there is a procedure for a temporary permission to do this (fly a G reg microlight with another nation's licence).

The answer is probably 'no', but if you don't ask...