PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel Differences Training

Gonch1980
27th Feb 2017, 17:17
Hi All,

Would you have any recommendations for Tailwheel Differences Training in the south Hampshire, West Sussex areas? So far I've found Goodwood and REal Flying at Shoreham. Just wondering if there are any others, or if any part time instructors may have access to private aircraft,

Thanks

mikehallam
27th Feb 2017, 20:59
Someone of our informal Sussex Flyers who meet at Ashington Village Club second Monday each month may be able to help outside the main two Sussex 'airports'.
What is it you either own or would like to be able to fly ? Perhaps I can be more specific then.

mike hallam

garethep
28th Feb 2017, 06:52
I did my PPL training with the Real Flying Company at Shoreham which included a couple of sessions of tailwheel. Cant recommend them highly enough, aircraft are kept in an immaculate condition and they are a really friendly bunch.

sunday driver
1st Mar 2017, 15:50
Western Air at Thruxton - Super Decathlon!
Worth it just to try that one out.
They managed to sort me out, despite my complete lack of talent.

SD

SkyCamMK
1st Mar 2017, 19:36
Try Clacton Aero Club/Classic Wings Super Cub G-BIMM. I loved it Nov 2016.

POBJOY
2nd Mar 2017, 13:33
Hi There
To be properly checked out you need to experience both tail skids and tail wheels and also find out the 'limitations' on tarmac.
Not all tail skids are steerable and some tail wheels are fully castoring** and non lockable.
The latter have to be controlled by brakes when the rudder effect is lost and it is easy to get to a point that brake effect will not hold directional control when you most need it.

In other words; being checked out on one simple type of tail dragger does not represent the full story, and it is wise to get a 'type' check out on a particular machine that you actually may wish to buy/fly/.

**Chipmunk Stampe

There have been several 'excursions' with RV taildraggers on runways, due to
lack of experience and having to use an out of wind runway that was 'out of limits'. It is quite alarming how quickly the situation goes from in to 'out of control'. The situation is not helped by many airfields now only having one strip and substantial fences bordering them. This has to born in mind when contemplating using them, as a simple brake problem could write off a machine.

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Mar 2017, 14:14
Oh come on - very few aeroplanes use skids any more, and that really is a type specific issue. Hard versus grass, yes - and also crosswinds, both 2 and 3 point landings, and whatever else is peculiar to the particular type. But expecting a new tailwheel pilot to be able to handle every possible variation is equivalent to expecting someone learning to land a PA28 to also handle an AA5 castoring nosewheel "just in case". There is a point where specific features should be left until someone may be checked out on a specific type.

G

Piper.Classique
2nd Mar 2017, 21:01
Genghis, I am so glad you posted that. Was wondering if I was in la la land there. But hey, I'm just a simple cub driver.
Skid? Um, only in gliders, me.

Stampe
3rd Mar 2017, 06:28
I would avoid any training where landings have to be paid for individually.The course is all about take offs and landings.Ideally an uncontrolled field not too busy and the landing fees inclusive in the hourly rate.Good luck finding somewhere there seems to be very little tailwheel conversion training going on nowadays.vbr Stampe

India Four Two
3rd Mar 2017, 07:08
I think POBJOY has valid point. If Gonch does his training on an aircraft with a steerable tail wheel e.g. a Citabria or Cub, then if he later has the pleasure of flying something like a Chipmunk with a castering tail wheel, he needs to be aware of the potential handling differences.

biscuit74
3rd Mar 2017, 19:37
I'd agree with Pobjoy in one respect, that regardless of whether or not you have had recent tailwheel training/rating, do get a check ride in any new type.

Taildraggers are very variable in their habits. Some are very keen to swap ends, like a Stampe as mentioned, others are quite docile - the Pawnee is a good example. And handling in crosswinds on hard runways can differ greatly from type to type.

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest you need training in every different style of taildragger - life is too short - but choose a school or instructor who will discuss the variations.

Lots of us never got formal tailwheel training, before all the 'differences' thinking came along. I was taught to take a good long slow hard look and walk around at any new type and ask myself what I thought the handling and oddities might be, before ever climbing in. (Thanks Chris, and Brian!)

engindisguise
3rd Mar 2017, 22:22
I'd second Western Air. Did tailwheel during PPL and loved their decathlon. Plus as mentioned above all circuits are part of instruction rate so you can slam round the circuits.

piperboy84
4th Mar 2017, 01:58
Read these 2 books prior to starting your conversion training

https://books.google.com/books/about/Conventional_Gear.html?id=965TAAAAMAAJ&hl=en

https://www.amazon.com/Compleat-Taildragger-Pilot-Harvey-Plourde/dp/0963913700

Maoraigh1
4th Mar 2017, 20:07
Tailwheel taxi, T.Off, and landing are brain/muscle practical skills. I never read any books on the subject.
Books are for nav, air law, met, aircraft information, etc.
Tailwneel and taildragger in flight are the same as nosewheel.
(Learned on Jackeroo taildragger, current on Jodel tailwheel.)